Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

cole, we've had a lot of good conversations behind the scenes and I believe you know me better than that.  It got locked to give people a day to cool off, with a plan to open it back up today after people took into consideration what I said on it and how these kinds of topics should be handled in the sports forums.  So don't take passive-aggressive shots at me like this because that was not my motive and I think - or at least hope - you know that.  

As moderators and admins we have to take a lot of things into consideration as to how the board is run, how to handle subjects that generate a lot of heat and vitriol and so on.  Some people come here and spend almost all of their time in the Politics forum.  A whole lot more come here and almost exclusively read and post in the sports forums and frankly (and I get this even though I enjoy a good political or social issue debate) they see sports as an escape.  Every other facet of their lives - their workplaces, their families, their churches, their friends groups -  they are navigating this tightrope or walking on eggshells because of how divided people are and how intense people are about their positions on various hot button topics of the day.  Every TV show they watch, every news outlet feeds this antagonism.  Sports for them is one place where they can just have fun.  They want to talk about play calling, recruiting, blocking and tackling, three point range and zone defense and leave the rest of that stuff behind for a bit.

The compromise we've come to over the years that seems to work best is to give a very open forum for subjects that tend to generate more controversy and deeper disagreements such as politics, theological/religious debate, discussions on race or sexuality, etc., but to leave those subjects out of the regular sports forums as much as possible and keep them in their designated subforums.   It's not a perfect system - because there is no perfect system.  Some will be upset that we don't allow discussions to roam freely wherever they start and others think we ought to shut down the politics and general discussion forums completely and focus only on Auburn sports.  No matter what course we choose, some will be happy and others will be dissatisfied.  We also recognize there are times where it's impossible to separate the two subjects, but I believe that 99% of the time, it can be done.  And for that 1%, we'll give some leeway as long as people can discuss it civilly and intelligently.

We're an unpaid group of volunteers, most of whom are still working full time jobs, that just enjoy the relationships and having a place to talk about Auburn and other things with people we've come to know online over the years.  We think it's a good community worth preserving and helping and we have to make some calls here and there that inevitably make some happy and others unhappy.  We're doing the best we can but talk behind the scenes frequently on what we can do better.  But if the best we can muster right now isn't good enough for some of you and it's just intolerable, I understand and maybe this isn't the place for you.  That's not a threat, it's just a plain, honest statement of the way things are.  If we're consistently not doing things the way you think they should be done and it's too frustrating for you, maybe another board would make you happier.  (I use the "you" here as a generic, plural "you" - not something aimed at cole specifically.)  Don't assume the worst, but if what we're able to do in terms of fostering a community where someone enjoys engaging isn't enough, maybe another community will be.  If you can't find any community that is, there are choices to make:  either start a new one more to your liking, or consider that maybe not all of the problem is outside of you.  Maybe there are things you can do and ways you can change to foster community and feel like you fit better here (or wherever you go).

Wasn't a passive aggressive shot at you as you probably lock stuff up the least. To be honest I didn't even think that you locked the thread. But I'll be honest I don't think most of this was genuine. You know just as I I'm very out of place here, but you mean to tell me what all of you have come up with is to deletemy posts, don't tell me why, but let the other people do what they do? 

How can I change anything? Now you guys have your pay stuff....It's funny this is happening around the time mirroring the program. What's going to happen with a guy donating but is a complete tool? 

Who talks more football than me? Can you name ten people? It's clear though this is you guys board, in these times as far as race relations I'm the away team. I get it. But I follow the rules. And I'm always going to speak my mind. I don't follow anybody or bash people, I don't even disrespect anybody until something is directed to me. If that's a problem someone could have told me that a long time ago and I won't post.  But I be damned if I'll sit around and let others say unreasonable things and I don't say anything back as if I'm on the 50's and I should know my place. Can't do it. I have to look myself in the mirror everyday. In reality I should be backed. But I understand, if me at times standing up for my race makes this board a better place. I'll leave, none of you will be better though. 

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

I don't want it to create more division among the playmakers and everyone else. All these guys work their rear ends off. Maybe more businesses will be like the BBQ joints in Arkansas and take care of the guys in the trenches, and we won't just see the QB's, RB's, WR's and DB's getting the deals. 

I wonder how much stipulation is in these contracts.  The HC will hopefully still lay down the law when it comes to grades and going to classes. If the kid is skipping classes or failing he might not be playing much, and if that happens he might not also be getting paid.  Are any of these benefits tied to playing time? I imagine there are also some ethics rules in place for behavior as well. 

This is a whole different ballgame. Should be interesting to see it play out over the next few years and what changes are eventually made.

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I don't want it to create more division among the playmakers and everyone else.

There isn't going to be.  It's life.  Some people are more valuable than others.  Seems weird so many people are hung up on this

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I don't want it to create more division among the playmakers and everyone else. All these guys work their rear ends off. Maybe more businesses will be like the BBQ joints in Arkansas and take care of the guys in the trenches, and we won't just see the QB's, RB's, WR's and DB's getting the deals. 

I wonder how much stipulation is in these contracts.  The HC will hopefully still lay down the law when it comes to grades and going to classes. If the kid is skipping classes or failing he might not be playing much, and if that happens he might not also be getting paid.  Are any of these benefits tied to playing time? I imagine there are also some ethics rules in place for behavior as well. 

This is a whole different ballgame. Should be interesting to see it play out over the next few years and what changes are eventually made.

As far as football everybody is groomed to feel the QB is more important than everybody. After that as long as it's whoever that produces it won't be a problem......but I agree if it comes where I guy isn't producing but is made up to be superstar that creates problems. Now this is just my opinion but I feel our fan base is great at cheering for the wrong guy. 

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as football everybody is groomed to feel the QB is more important than everybody. After that as long as it's whoever that produces it won't be a problem......but I agree if it comes where I guy isn't producing but is made up to be superstar that creates problems. Now this is just my opinion but I feel our fan base is great at cheering for the wrong guy. 

Whoever has the money (needing something to be promoted) will decide best representative for their product. NIL is about taking care of your own name ( also business).

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Whoever has the money (needing something to be promoted) will decide best representative for their product. NIL is about taking care of your own name ( also business).

Yeah but companies are going to go for who they think will sell, that may not always end up being the most talented.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah but companies are going to go for who they think will sell, that may not always end up being the most talented.

That is exactly what I would expect. A business decision. Obviously you are going to have people that don’t care about the business side, just trying to influence who they want to influence to be at their school. No getting around that just as they have mostly been unsuccessful at stopping the bags of cash in the past. Just no bags now.

8 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

That is exactly what I would expect. A business decision. Obviously you are going to have people that don’t care about the business side, just trying to influence who they want to influence to be at their school. No getting around that just as they have mostly been unsuccessful at stopping the bags of cash in the past. Just no bags now.

Yes. But as my man stated he has concerns that it could cause some animosity within the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yes. But as my man stated he has concerns that it could cause some animosity within the team.

Guess I missed his point. I thought it was that high profile might get money then not produce. My point was in most of our economic systems the person spending the money decides where it goes irrespective of any other opinions. NIL is about them getting started in business so it will work itself out IMzo.

37 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Guess I missed his point. I thought it was that high profile might get money then not produce. My point was in most of our economic systems the person spending the money decides where it goes irrespective of any other opinions. NIL is about them getting started in business so it will work itself out IMzo.

Well I can't speak for him so maybe I'm wrong. His first sentence said something about division among playmakers and that's what I was speaking on.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I can't speak for him so maybe I'm wrong. His first sentence said something about division among playmakers and that's what I was speaking on.

It is indeed what I meant. I believe Charles Barkley shares the same concern. 

Edited by johnnyAU

10 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

CFB is indeed now a paraprofessional system with each individual getting what they can. They better get used to it in a hurry bc it’s here.

• Like 1

Do people really think the stars weren’t treated different before this or am I living in an alternate universe?

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Emmertt is the captain of the USS NCAA that is sinking and he is standing tall and telling everyone that its fine, a little water never hurt anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, johnnyAU said:

Considering Barkley has made a ton of money specifically be being the person to get the endorsements, it really seems like a weird comment from him.

It is going to be really fun when some company picks a vibrant young attention seeking hot shot, like Jameis Winston,  only to find out their big mouthpiece has rape issues etc.   It's just a matter of time.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It is going to be really fun when some company picks a vibrant young attention seeking hot shot, like Jameis Winston,  only to find out their big mouthpiece has rape issues etc.   It's just a matter of time.

what? Why would you even go to that topic? And why would that be fun? 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Literally has nothing to do with nothing....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I don't know. Maybe said company will do something crazy, like, I don't know....drop them and move on?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is going to be really fun when some company picks a vibrant smart young man like Worm only to find out they’re much more hard working than the company thought, and makes the player wealthier than they would have ever imagined.   It's just a matter of time.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It is going to be really fun when some company picks a vibrant young smart young man like Worm only to find out they’re much more hard working than the company thought, and makes the player wealthier than they would have ever imagined.   It's just a matter of time.

Great post!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Fun wasn't the best word and used semi-sarcastically.   I should have used entertaining.  why fun/ entertaining?, because everyone on here likes controversy  so much.  Some posters love to bitch and moan about anything.   When someone gets yanked out of their contract for a morality clause this board will go nuts.  If it is a bammer player, even more so.   It is going to be  interesting. 

It does push fun  as long it is not one of our guys. 

You know it will happen... prolly at uga THIS year.   It wont effect the extreme majority of players who obey rules and laws...  and the ones who get caught will deserve it.  I think it will be very interesting when the spotlight is turned on those who have been hiding things like rape and other very serious offenses.

The Jameis Winston  thing was fun and interesting for me.   Would have been much  more fun if a $500,000 contract with Gatorade was publicly put in  play.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It is going to be really fun when some company picks a vibrant smart young man like Worm only to find out they’re much more hard working than the company thought, and makes the player wealthier than they would have ever imagined.   It's just a matter of time.

Feel good stories are not as much fun.  I would be so excited for worm,  but (admit it or not) it is controversy that entertains.     

Just look at this board.  The more controversial the longer more entertaining the thread.    With the good guy and success stories EVERYONE agrees and those topics get glossed over.   

Not saying it is right, it is just the way it is.

It is human nature.  People are more interested in dirty laundry, conspiracy theories  or someone getting screwed.

The more controversial the better.   There will be a player that may or  may not have committed a no no,  a company that "should have vetted better",  the controversy over players getting payed. The other conference teams jumping on and attacking.  The players team mates opinions,  fans trying to defend him.  A school that will have to make tough decisions.  It will be a perfect storm of entertainment for the masses.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
came across too hard line.

23 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The Jameis Winston  thing was fun and interesting for me.   

You should find new ways to have fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2