Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

And yet,  I am correct.     Controversy sells.    The number replies to  my post  shows  how hypocritical  some of you really are.  One controversial view and some of you lose your s***.    Some on  this  board live to argue, thrive  on controversy and are too shallow or naïve  to admit it. 

The controversial posts get so much attention they dominate the other posts.   

You are conflating the consumption of media content and actual conversation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Lol I wonder when this all started

Been thinking about it too. I can't exactly think of a single event or point in time. Can you?

Yes but it will cause eye rolls and such because I'm involved and I'm the one bringing it up. But just go back and look one day if you have spare time. 

When I had those opinions as far as JJ and SW. This board was as nasty as any I've ever seen in stuff that was said and nobody stepped in and calmed it down. After that it calmed down a little but it didn't go back to like it was before. 

I'm serious if you ever have the time go back and look.

One of my opinions waaaaaay back then I might add was it's not on the QB's it's Gus and the coaching.....and look where we are now. 

But that's when the attacking a different opinion mob mentality stuff got vicious. I also think it got pretty bad when the kid from auburn high school recruiting thing happened. And imo that happened just because some people were on their high horse and when it was time to admit that they were human and they were wrong about this they refused. 

All of that is my opinion.

I’m going to state my opinion on this, I said it in a recruiting thread but I want others opinion. NIL money is the right thing for the player and I support it but it will ultimately be the demise of schools that aren’t the state powerhouse. We will keep falling further behind.

Just now, wcware said:

@bigbirdI hope my post doesn’t age well

Me too! 

I can't imagine how bad things must get to reach that level

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Me too! 

I can't imagine how bad things must get to reach that level

I know it’s extreme. I get that, but we have to be honest about the extra incentive to go to a program that’s going to put retirement  money in your pocket before you ever start a game. I would like others thoughts and opinions as to why it won’t go the way I am thinking. I believe these players should have a right to make this money but I am also realistic  about the obvious money difference an Alabama QB is going to get versus us.

Edited by wcware
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the big schools will get every recruit and we won't get high rated recruits ever again.....I really don't.

First you can only sign so many, second highest success rate is from 4 star players.

Third the high rated guys who know they are legit NFL players aren't placing all their eggs in money before the NFL, you always will have a few bad stories but contrary to the nerds that didn't have a sociallife and just imagine what football players are like MOST of them are good kids, they aren't rapist, thieves, drug users and killers just looking to break the law all for a dollar. Even in the past just because a kid didn't come here and went to bammer or uga doesn't actually make them a thug or whatever.

Fourth nothing has changed, they still want to get to the NFL, and like I said they aren't stupid everybody knows you need to play to get there. If we just show entering our program prepares you and increases your odds of going to the NFL we'll get all the players you can ask for.

Fifth people pretend as if we were signing all these 5 star guys before the change......why the hell would we complain about something new? We weren't getting the guys anyway, maybe we can be creative and maneuver this into an advantage. Hell we literally have the worst luck with big time recruits anyway and half of them the fan base didn't even like. 

I'm not arguing with anybody or talking to anybody in particular, I'm talking about an idea that has been stated by a few different posters in this thread. It's a rebuttal not an attack on anybody.

Edited by cole256
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't understand the big schools will get every recruit and we won't get high rated recruits ever again.....I really don't.

First you can only sign so many, second highest success rate is from 4 star players.

Third the high rated guys who know they are legit NFL players aren't placing all their eggs in money before the NFL, you always will have a few bad stories but contrary to the nerds that didn't have a sociallife and just imagine what football players are like MOST of them are good kids, they aren't rapist, thieves, drug users and killers just looking to break the law all for a dollar. Even in the past just because a kid didn't come here and went to bammer or uga doesn't actually make them a thug or whatever.

Fourth nothing has changed, they still want to get to the NFL, and like I said they aren't stupid everybody knows you need to play to get there. If we just show entering our program prepares you and increases your odds of going to the NFL we'll get all the players you can ask for.

Fifth people pretend as if we were signing all these 5 star guys before the change......why the hell would we complain about something new? We weren't getting the guys anyway, maybe we can be creative and maneuver this into an advantage. Hell we literally have the worst luck with big time recruits anyway and half of them the fan base didn't even like. 

I'm not arguing with anybody or talking to anybody in particular, I'm talking about an idea that has been stated by a few different posters in this thread. It's a rebuttal not an attack on anybody.

I agree we don’t sign many 5 stars anyway. It’s just my opinion it will go this way. I hope it doesn’t but I guess we will see.

1 minute ago, wcware said:

I agree we don’t sign many 5 stars anyway. It’s just my opinion it will go this way. I hope it doesn’t but I guess we will see.

Even if it doesn't I'm saying we're one of the schools that it really wouldn't change too much for us one way or the other. But I don't think it's too hard to imagine a scenario like this. Bammer has two 5 star QB's lined up one from Cali one from bama and a 5 star from bama is coming out. If we are a good program that kid is coming here. If we are a bad one probably not. Don't think the nil effected anything different than before.

It's still on us to be a decent program. If the recruits not coming it's on us not because of anything else. Being a good program will always be the most important variable. But I understand that's how you feel. I'm just also stating my opinion.

• Like 1

I appreciate an opposing view. It gives me things to think about that might not be how I would look at it. This year it’s more important that we put a good product on the field than ever before. If we wet the bed this year it could have a domino effect for years to come. All this on the plate of Coach Harsin has to be a lot of pressure but he is well compensated for it 

I just heard UAT QB already has nearly one million in endorsement deals. Do you think they will ever have anything but the best QBs available on their roster? On the bright side, when we lose to them (it won't bother me like it used to) I can console myself thinking you get what you pay for. It was mostly that way before NIL, but now it's out in the open. When do we get a salary cap for college sports?

• Like 1

The problem is some of you guys want to separate sports from social and cultural cues. Many times that can be correct, but there are times when those cues are the very foundation of someone's opinion of the sports topic. The issue is the inconsistency in POLICING THE LANGUAGE of posters. You can have someone say something that is completely discriminatory that goes ignored, but in some instances race and culture matters, yet people want to shut that down really quickly.  Add to the fact that some of the things being stated here, some of you would never, ever say in person.

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Been thinking about it too. I can't exactly think of a single event or point in time. Can you?

Could just be a reflection of the country in general. Politics are more divisive than ever and sports are increasingly intertwined with politics. Then you have a pandemic where everyone is bored at home, looking to blow off steam. 

I never used social media or posted on a message board until a couple years ago and now I can't stop. It's better to vent your frustration on the internet than on your family!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russnagel1 said:

I just heard UAT QB already has nearly one million in endorsement deals. Do you think they will ever have anything but the best QBs available on their roster? On the bright side, when we lose to them (it won't bother me like it used to) I can console myself thinking you get what you pay for. It was mostly that way before NIL, but now it's out in the open. When do we get a salary cap for college sports?

As opposed to before this them getting the last #1 or 2 QB the last what five or six years?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The problem is some of you guys want to separate sports from social and cultural cues. Many times that can be correct, but there are times when those cues are the very foundation of someone's opinion of the sports topic. The issue is the inconsistency in POLICING THE LANGUAGE of posters. You can have someone say something that is completely discriminatory that goes ignored, but in some instances race and culture matters, yet people want to shut that down really quickly.  Add to the fact that some of the things being stated here, some of you would never, ever say in person.

Man......you said so much here. Even behind close doors try to initiate discussion and talk about it, falls on deaf ears. If you bring it up on the actual forum get reprimanded. People see that and take cues from what is tolerated and what is ignored and act accordingly.

• Like 2

I haven’t been on here much sense the Harsin hire but the atmosphere seems to have changed drastically. WTH happened when I was gone

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Poster 1: *says something racist*

*crickets*

Poster 2: "Uh, that was racist?"

"STOP WITH THE RACIST COMMENTS NOW!!!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wcware said:

I haven’t been on here much sense the Harsin hire but the atmosphere seems to have changed drastically. WTH happened when I was gone

Maturity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

As I type this, I am in Dar Es Salaam trying to figure out if my Covid test will get me back in my home country even though I am a US citizen and have been in a jungle camp for the last 3 weeks...insane world I live in now.   The other thing is I am surprised that this topic is still living this long on here.  

Good set of posts on this topic between you and MCware.  At a high level; when Harsin was hired, we payed big $$ and the rhetoric from him, the AD and the press machine is we plan to compete for championships.  That is what, I think or hope, we all wanted to here.   Getting the best players and developing them is the only way to do that (absent an occasional fluke kick return or tipped pass TD in back to back games). 

If we don't think we can do the things; by that I mean recruit at a 5 star level then we shouldn't have paid as much as we did for Harsin and we shouldn't be saying the things we are saying.  Trying to compete 3 star talent against 5 star talent will leave us all disappointed.  If that was the grand plan, we should have paid a middling coach middling wages and just said we're content to be Miss State or South Carolina.   Our competition takes 5 Star athletes and makes them absolute freaks of nature.  Look at the difference between a Naji Harris freshman and him this past year.  I would hope we see the same thing from Tank...he was a good freshman back; but no where near what he can (and I am hopeful this staff will ensure) be.

As you say Cole, I don't think NLI changes any of this.  Could it happen?  Sure...someone could just be absolutely stupid and  guarantee every Turd signee a million $$...will it happen?  Doubtful; Updyke is dead.  And I wouldn't underestimate the Auburn alumni base and the $$ that folks will cough up.  I have a choice now too; I can either continue to fund scholarships; or do an NIL deal with an individual athlete with that $$; if I thought it would make a difference for an athlete.  It's not a million $$; but given the average athletes financial situation; it wouldn't hurt, right?

I think there will be some outrageous deals done this 1st go around as businesses or entities try to figure this out...then it will settle down into a more predictable cadence of merchandising and endorsement deals...with the dollars concentrated at the top.  And as you point out; some will crash and burn spectacularly and do stupid things; but most won't...and the ones that do will get outsized publicity.  I think this will happen more at the beginning and then settle down as businesses, especially local/regional businesses;  cut their teeth on this.  Big businesses already know the ins and outs of tying your brand to an individual; especially an 18-23 year old one.

I'm ordering a "Fishermans Tale"; it's got Vodka, Gin, Rum, Tequila and a Fanta Orange.  They know how to make a drink here.  

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

Man......you said so much here. Even behind close doors try to initiate discussion and talk about it, falls on deaf ears. If you bring it up on the actual forum get reprimanded. People see that and take cues from what is tolerated and what is ignored and act accordingly.

Happy to get on a Zoom call anytime to discuss the discourse on the board.  Or, if folks are serious about it; I'll get on a plane and go to Auburn and meet face to face with a group.  Someone would need to set it up; gather discussion topics and moderate it; but it might be fun, informative and useful.