Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

34 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

What are you talking about?  Nothing!!

I mean, read better if you can't understand it.

34 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Tell that to thousands of students paying $30k a year to go to school.

Yeah man, Colton from Mountain Brook ain't brining in a hundred million a year to Auburn b/c of his sport.

35 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Tell that to the majority of student/athletes that have to pay to play at their schools.  

We are talking about revenue producing sports.  Not a random baseball player who got 1/8th a scholarship b/c Alabama is backwards and Jesus can't handle a lottery.

36 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Why don’t we just do away with college sports and go to the European model of sports? That way no one will complain about “players not getting their fair share”!  

Because it's different.  The US is really the only nation that has massive allegiance to their college.  It's not going away.  it's just going to be a little different and your boomer tears will deal with it.

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Any information on European model?

Probably talking about Soccer clubs essentially putting anyone with talent into a boarding school so they can train the kid from 6 to 18 then good for their club.

W.E.D. stop with the bassakwards Boomer tears crap and act like an adult on this! Much like everything else going on in the world change is coming and some people aren't used to it. Deal with that! ;) 

Should have just let boosters pay under the table and never investigate it. The NCAA killed itself. It could not help itself. 

The sport selling its soul to ESPN didn’t help either. 

D-1 sports will slowly turn even more pro and will become boring. It’s a real shame. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

Should have just let boosters pay under the table and never investigate it. The NCAA killed itself. It could not help itself. 

The sport selling its soul to ESPN didn’t help either. 

D-1 sports will slowly turn even more pro and will become boring. It’s a real shame. 

lmao

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

The naivety of some on here that can't see the direction this will go is pretty hilarious. Must have seriously never paid attention to anything their entire lives, but just lol at everyone else.

Edited by boisnumber1

21 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

The naivety of some on here that can't see the direction this will go is pretty hilarious. Must have seriously never paid attention to anything their entire lives, but just lol at everyone else.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

lmao

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Then to hell with it, let’s don’t call it “ college “ football anymore. These kids don’t give one s#%t about a degree nowadays. Just getting to the “ league” , where what, 1-2% of them actually get there. The AUBURN TIGERS TRIPLE A FOOTBALL TEAM. 🤮. Make that Double A

10 hours ago, gravejd said:

I don't really know what the end result of these changes will be....if its good or bad. But i do think this was inevitable. There is a shift happening right now in how people make money. With the world wide reach everyone has you are going to see a lot more people making money off simply having a lot of followers on social media. Athletes are in a prime position to benefit off that new ability because our society has always been attracted to the uber talented. A HS kid that can do some crazy dunks can easily get a couple 100K followers and you better believe companies are going to start figuring out that can get some great marketing by paying these kids to do plugs for their products. 

So i think this kind of change is what had to happen if we wanted to save some semblance of college football. The NCAA has been too slow to adapt and basketball is already feeling the impact of that failure to adjust with there now being multiple minor leagues that guys can choose instead of going the college route. It was not going to be long before the same thing happened the other sports as well. This rule change gives colleges a chance to pull those players back. Because the one thing colleges can offer to these athletes that the minor leagues can not is a way to build their brand. Go to this college and you instantly gain a ton of fans and notoriety and that helps kids build up their fan base. Will that be enough to offset the signing bonuses the minor leagues can offer?? Probably not if they are offering 6+ figures but maybe it will help keep a few of the really talented players in the game. 

And at the very least i think this does level the playing field for schools. We all know the Bamas and Ohio States of the world already are allowed to get away with things that other colleges can not. And yeah some schools will have an advantage due to fans and boosters who are willing to spend obscene amounts of money. But i think this along with expanding the playoff is going to reduce the strangle hold that 3-4 colleges have on getting their pick of all the best athletes. 

Way too rationale a response (the world actually didn't end).  In the short term, I agree, it should allow schools to keep some folks longer...every school has to decide how much of their $$ goes to sports.  The schools, especially in the short term; will have to decide on things like prices vs facilities vs athletes; I can't see how that is a bad thing for people.  Fans/boosters will tell them if they are pricing themselves out of business.

7 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Then to hell with it, let’s don’t call it “ college “ football anymore. These kids don’t give one s#%t about a degree nowadays. Just getting to the “ league” , where what, 1-2% of them actually get there. The AUBURN TIGERS TRIPLE A FOOTBALL TEAM. 🤮. Make that Double A

Why can't they just still go to school (almost all get a degree and go to class) and get a fraction of the pie?

Why do it have to be one or the other with so many of you people?

I personally hate the idea and have those "it will destroy everything" fears. But I feel short-sited about the possibilities, so I'm not making extreme comments. Just because I can't think of a way it could work doesn't mean it won't work. Thankfully I'm not the guy who has to figure it out. Just gripe about it a little. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Why can't they just still go to school (almost all get a degree and go to class) and get a fraction of the pie?

Why do it have to be one or the other with so many of you people?

The answer to your first question is almost all do not get a degree. And what do you mean by “ you people”?

I have read this thread for a day or two and held my tongue. I've tried to see all sides. My sister works for a lawyer, so I know this ruling and NIL is here and it's not going away.  It bothers me that some people in a discussion are so rude for no reason, but whatever. There are two points I would like to make. My son was going to AU. We were doing work finding an apartment, etc. He got a call from a DIII school at literally the last minute, wanting him to play football, with a partial academic scholarship. When we crunched the numbers, he could have gone to either of the state schools much cheaper than the private school.  He didn't want to quit football, so I bit the bullet. His coach came from a group of 5 school and his practice routine was exactly like the school the coach came from. So my son PAID to play. Because he loved it. It was a great decision, and he had a great time, as did his parents. However, if he had had his education paid for by the school, that would have been far from nothing, and a great help to us as a family. If his meals and room and board had been paid for, I'm doing cartwheels. We're talking thousands of dollars, whether at his school or AU or any other school in the state. So to act like these guys are slaves is not accurate. I have no problem with a stipend or some other way to share the wealth, and if a major business in the state wants to take a chance with a 19-21 year old as the face of his company, then go for it. I just hope the kid has more sense than I did at that age, or that could be a mistake....😆😆. I will always be an AU fan, and that won't change.  But I watched kids "sacrifice" because they loved it, and loved being on the team. And there was something different about that. They didn't have the ability to play at AU, but they would have appreciated all the perks. Extra bucks or no bucks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I have read this thread for a day or two and held my tongue. I've tried to see all sides. My sister works for a lawyer, so I know this ruling and NIL is here and it's not going away.  It bothers me that some people in a discussion are so rude for no reason, but whatever. There are two points I would like to make. My son was going to AU. We were doing work finding an apartment, etc. He got a call from a DIII school at literally the last minute, wanting him to play football, with a partial academic scholarship. When we crunched the numbers, he could have gone to either of the state schools much cheaper than the private school.  He didn't want to quit football, so I bit the bullet. His coach came from a group of 5 school and his practice routine was exactly like the school the coach came from. So my son PAID to play. Because he loved it. It was a great decision, and he had a great time, as did his parents. However, if he had had his education paid for by the school, that would have been far from nothing, and a great help to us as a family. If his meals and room and board had been paid for, I'm doing cartwheels. We're talking thousands of dollars, whether at his school or AU or any other school in the state. So to act like these guys are slaves is not accurate. I have no problem with a stipend or some other way to share the wealth, and if a major business in the state wants to take a chance with a 19-21 year old as the face of his company, then go for it. I just hope the kid has more sense than I did at that age, or that could be a mistake....😆😆. I will always be an AU fan, and that won't change.  But I watched kids "sacrifice" because they loved it, and loved being on the team. And there was something different about that. They didn't have the ability to play at AU, but they would have appreciated all the perks. Extra bucks or no bucks.

No disrespect but there is a reason your son paid to play. Someone like Cam Newton, who I am sure you had no problem rooting for and buying his number two jersey, deserves more than room and board. He put this MFing school on his back. He created an image for Future black QBs. He deserves millions. K.J. playing on one leg deserves whatever he thinks he is worth. And if they want to break that off to their fellow teammates, more power to them. You really can’t compare your son to what the parents of someone like Cam Newton would do or want because you never been in that position. And before anyone says you haven’t been there. Yes I have.

I chose a d-2 school versus paying to walk on at a D-1 school not because I loved the game any less , but because my education was getting paid for. When my career was cut short for cardiomyopathy, I got an academic scholarship to Auburn.  If I couldn’t get an academic scholarship , I would’ve just stayed at my D-2 school.  There are so many different perspectives to this. Kevin Durant, who put Texas on the map, deserves whatever he would’ve gotten if this rule was in place. Why is he going back home to the DMV during breaks, in the hood , where his mom can barely keep the lights on , yet everyone else is benefitting from it.

The idea that these guys love the game any less than someone who wasn’t good enough to get a scholarship is ridiculous. For some of these dudes, playing the game is the ONLY WAY for them to provide a future for their family. So they HAVE to get a scholarship. Sacrifice goes both ways. I for one hope these dudes do get something just from the simple fact how frugal fanbases can be and how easily you can be forgotten if you get injured or fall off in some manner. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

Also, some of you guys are dang liars or hypocrites. Let me tell you something, if you were a college student, tempt, professional worker, if there was a way to make additional funds in your work or skillset, you would jump at it. I don't know too many people, whether a chemistry student or a nurse practitioner aren't going to look at an opportunity to gain more economic benefits. So please stop acting like most of you wouldn't do the same, especially If you are considered a tier in your profession or skillset. 

• Like 1

I get both sides, I think that the kids do deserve something for the work they put in and monies they bring to the school. I also think that college sports being amateur is what makes them compelling to a lot of people. It's a no win situation. Something did have to change. What we got is a dam break. The days where a big name high school athlete goes to a school because they are die hard fans and want to play there are effectively over...Just like NFL players, they will go wherever gives them the biggest payday. The complexion of the sport will change, and it will become significantly more expensive. This has been happening under the table to an extent, but now it will be unabashed and the norm. The decision is a complete flip and open to grotesque significant interpretation which these top players and their legal representatives WILL exploit in the broadest possible sense. 

The sky isn't falling, but it certainly is changing color. I'm not certain I'm going to like the shade when it's finished. YMMV.

Edited by madkat7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Also, some of you guys are dang liars or hypocrites. Let me tell you something, if you were a college student, tempt, professional worker, if there was a way to make additional funds in your work or skillset, you would jump at it. I don't know too many people, whether a chemistry student or a nurse practitioner aren't going to look at an opportunity to gain more economic benefits. So please stop acting like most of you wouldn't do the same, especially If you are considered a tier in your profession or skillset. 

This is truth. My son was a finance major and landed two solid summer internships in that field. That landed him a full time job at one of the nations largest banks. As an athlete, especially football, he would have spent those summers sweating in a weight room and running sprints instead of preparing for his career. Many of his friends played college baseball and instead of internships in their field spent their summers playing summer ball in some obscure town in the Midwest. On top of that, many athletes are ‘placed’ into majors that accommodate their sport instead of majors that will set them up for success in the professional world. I’m all for the players getting their share and all for the NCAA cartel being broken up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Also, some of you guys are dang liars or hypocrites. Let me tell you something, if you were a college student, tempt, professional worker, if there was a way to make additional funds in your work or skillset, you would jump at it. 

Tried to make this same point a while back in a different thread myself. Wanting things to stay the same is more of a selfish thing than anything else. Yep, people are fooling themselves if they think that they wouldn't like the chance to be rewarded for their efforts. It's no different at any job. If anyone against the NIL, or perceived fallout, were to come up with an idea or process that their company benefits from while on the payroll, chances are the company is the only one that benefits financially. The fact is that they would be thrilled with being rewarded for their idea. That's the hypocritical part. The college degree was enough in a time that college sports was just a sport and not a revenue machine. Times have changed. The scholarship is still great but the fact that Daniel Purifoy's mother can't sell T-shirts with her son's image on them is crazy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jluvah said:

The answer to your first question is almost all do not get a degree. And what do you mean by “ you people”?

We have academic progress that shows otherwise.  The vast majority of Football players get degrees.  Saying "all most all do not get a degree" is ridiculous.  The ones that might leave early for the NFL don't, but they can come back like Cam and others did.

9 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

The problem is comparing you kid to an SEC athlete is off-base.  Yes education has value, but the amount of revenue these kids brining in is astronomical compared to the money they receive from the school.  Their benefits have stayed flat for 2 decades whiles TV revenue and ticket revenue skyrockets.  Auburn is about to get 30-40mm more a year with a new ESPN contract and they'll do nothing different.  That money goes to greedy coaches, players get s***.

Unfortunately, like all things, the top 1% of 1% (P5 football and basketball players) are worth more than any other athlete playing college sports.  That's just life.  They deserve more

Johnny football couldn’t sign autographs or cards for money but Texas A&M could use his image to promote their brand . What in the hell? And to some of y’all that’s totally okay because he got a meal plan smh. Let the university do that to one of your kids in nursing school or finance and have them tell you “just live with it, we are paying for your books.” I would love to see your responses.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Johnny football couldn’t sign autographs or cards for money but Texas A&M could use his image to promote their brand . What in the hell? And to some of y’all that’s totally okay because he got a meal plan smh. Let the university do that to one of your kids in nursing school or finance and have them tell you “just live with it, we are paying for your books.” I would love to see your responses.

What's amazing is the fact that players have been getting tones of money for decades, even at Auburn.  They want to pretend it doesn't happen these are just "college kids".  People acting like if they get it above the table is going to make any difference in the sport.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2