Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What's amazing is the fact that players have been getting tones of money for decades, even at Auburn.  They want to pretend it doesn't happen these are just "college kids".  People acting like if they get it above the table is going to make any difference in the sport.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

The problem is comparing you kid to an SEC athlete is off-base.  Yes education has value, but the amount of revenue these kids brining in is astronomical compared to the money they receive from the school.  Their benefits have stayed flat for 2 decades whiles TV revenue and ticket revenue skyrockets.  Auburn is about to get 30-40mm more a year with a new ESPN contract and they'll do nothing different.  That money goes to greedy coaches, players get s***.

Unfortunately, like all things, the top 1% of 1% (P5 football and basketball players) are worth more than any other athlete playing college sports.  That's just life.  They deserve more

I don't disagree that they deserve more. I disagree with the idea that some have that the athlete gets nothing for his efforts. Cubelic quoted a successful businesses man that played football for uat as saying that every dime he's ever made is a result of his playing football there. He was not an all American or all SEC player. Cole then said that because of AU, the same was absolutely true for his career. In this state, that definitely means something.

War Eagle. We'll see how everything plays out soon. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DAG said:

No disrespect but there is a reason your son paid to play. Someone like Cam Newton, who I am sure you had no problem rooting for and buying his number two jersey, deserves more than room and board. He put this MFing school on his back. He created an image for Future black QBs. He deserves millions. K.J. playing on one leg deserves whatever he thinks he is worth. And if they want to break that off to their fellow teammates, more power to them. You really can’t compare your son to what the parents of someone like Cam Newton would do or want because you never been in that position. And before anyone says you haven’t been there. Yes I have.

I chose a d-2 school versus paying to walk on at a D-1 school not because I loved the game any less , but because my education was getting paid for. When my career was cut short for cardiomyopathy, I got an academic scholarship to Auburn.  If I couldn’t get an academic scholarship , I would’ve just stayed at my D-2 school.  There are so many different perspectives to this. Kevin Durant, who put Texas on the map, deserves whatever he would’ve gotten if this rule was in place. Why is he going back home to the DMV during breaks, in the hood , where his mom can barely keep the lights on , yet everyone else is benefitting from it.

The idea that these guys love the game any less than someone who wasn’t good enough to get a scholarship is ridiculous. For some of these dudes, playing the game is the ONLY WAY for them to provide a future for their family. So they HAVE to get a scholarship. Sacrifice goes both ways. I for one hope these dudes do get something just from the simple fact how frugal fanbases can be and how easily you can be forgotten if you get injured or fall off in some manner. 

I don't buy jerseys but I did watch every game, and it was the best money I ever spent for season tickets. I have my opinion, which includes the part about stipends or some other form of compensation, and you have yours. I also never said these guys love the game less than my son, but whatever. I also never said your opinion was ridiculous but you seem to believe that everyone that has even a slightly different opinion than yours is wrong, or something. 

We all know the climate is changing with this ruling and NIL.  The NCAA has slow played this entire issue for years on purpose, NOW they're being forced to act one way or the other.  IMO the NCAA screwed themselves, waited around and did nothing and now they are being over ruled.  The organization will become impotent. 

My main issue with compensation is how will it be equitable for all players?   Hypothetically, if a stud RB's can pull $50,000/season from his NIL but the oline players aren't getting a dime then what makes the oline players want to open holes for the RB?  If a WR gets $15,000 and the TE gets $2,000 OR starters pull more $$ than 3rd string players?  

I could see where a locker room can go to crap when some players are making bank off the backs of the guys in the trenches and the guys in the trenches just say screw it and stop giving 100% on the field. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I could see where a locker room can go to crap when some players are making bank off the backs of the guys in the trenches and the guys in the trenches just say screw it and stop giving 100% on the field. 

On the other hand that happens in every large scale business not to mention professional sports. There will always be someone making more money. I support my boss and team because it's the job I chose. I know I won't make the same money. Let's hope that the locker room doesn't go to crap but there could be a few individual attitudes that do. 

I really don't get some of the anger in this thread. As with most topics,this is for people's opinion. Some like it and some do not. I don't think there is a right or wrong. Sports like everything else is evolving whether you like the evolution of it or not. Some want to think that this the end of amateurism in college football and it somewhat is, but the Olympics quit being about amateurs long ago. I can agree with both views. I like the thought of players coming to a school to receive and education and to win championships for good ole Auburn. But at the same time, the money involved in the sport is incredible. The schools and the coaches are benefiting from that and so should the players. But there will be huge disparities between players on the same team, and how will that effect the team.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

What's amazing is the fact that players have been getting tones of money for decades, even at Auburn. 

Absolutely don't think I would say tons of it but back in the 60's and 70's I would almost say we got more then alot of the players now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I don't buy jerseys but I did watch every game, and it was the best money I ever spent for season tickets. I have my opinion, which includes the part about stipends or some other form of compensation, and you have yours. I also never said these guys love the game less than my son, but whatever. I also never said your opinion was ridiculous but you seem to believe that everyone that has even a slightly different opinion than yours is wrong, or something. 

You said he paid and played the game because he loved it. No doubt he did but he had no choice. He had no offers so he had to pay and play for the love of it. He had a d-3 partial , which D3 offers nothing athletically. I offered the other side of the fence about these guys playing the game out of love and also deserving whatever they are worth, even those who get full rides. And yes I do think it is a ridiculous notion that these guys just deserve stipends. Why should Johnny football get the same stipend amount as someone who couldn’t get a scholarship and had to pay their way onto the team? I also think it is a ridiculous notion to suggest slavery . I don’t think a single person said anything about slavery in this thread but you. Did I say you were wrong for your opinion ? No! I do think some of your suggestions are ridiculous and slightly illogical .  

You mentioned at the very end of your original comment that you watched those whom “sacrificed.” Why would that change all of a sudden because a player wants to seek out what he deserves ?

Edited by DAG

57 minutes ago, keesler said:

My main issue with compensation is how will it be equitable for all players?   Hypothetically, if a stud RB's can pull $50,000/season from his NIL but the oline players aren't getting a dime then what makes the oline players want to open holes for the RB?  If a WR gets $15,000 and the TE gets $2,000 OR starters pull more $$ than 3rd string players? 

Then they shouldn’t aspire to go to the NFL. I don’t think packer players are getting mad that Aaron Rodgers breaks the bank. Also , on the flip side what if that RB can make 50k and break off money to his fellow offensive lineman? Something A-Rod has done in the past . I don’t think you guys understand the camaraderie between teammates 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I don't disagree that they deserve more. I disagree with the idea that some have that the athlete gets nothing for his efforts. Cubelic quoted a successful businesses man that played football for uat as saying that every dime he's ever made is a result of his playing football there. He was not an all American or all SEC player. Cole then said that because of AU, the same was absolutely true for his career. In this state, that definitely means something.

War Eagle. We'll see how everything plays out soon. 

I didn't say they get nothing, they just get very little for the comparative revenues they bring in.  They essentially fund the entire AD and other sport's scholarships and make coaches extremely wealthy.

Everyone gets a cut except the players.  They only get connections and bootstraps

1 hour ago, keesler said:

That's just life though.  The NFL doesn't have people quitting b/c they are at the league minimum while the QB makes 40 mil

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31674727/jake-olson-experienced-nil-chaos-now-business%3fplatform=amp

worth the read. Another great article showing how this opens other venues and doors for these athletes to make impacts. Not just about greed. It opens doors for others. 

So do the cell phones and social media posts from the sideline during the game start this year or next.  Can't wait to see who the first on field social media post is.

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So do the cell phones and social media posts from the sideline during the game start this year or next.  Can't wait to see who the first on field social media post is.

They'll start during Fall practice.

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We have academic progress that shows otherwise.  The vast majority of Football players get degrees.  Saying "all most all do not get a degree" is ridiculous.  The ones that might leave early for the NFL don't, but they can come back like Cam and others did.

Cite me some numbers to back up your talk. And 98% of them don’t leave early for the NFL, they don’t make it to the NFL!! Oh, and you didn’t answer my other question.#notwokelikeyou

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

Damn.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yeah I missed it 

Hate when someone quotes me and I have the notification and no post

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jluvah said:

Cite me some numbers to back up your talk. And 98% of them don’t leave early for the NFL, they don’t make it to the NFL!! Oh, and you didn’t answer my other question.#notwokelikeyou

We have a high APR score. If most of our kids weren't graduating, it would be really low.  The majority of kids who stay 4-5 years graduate

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Then they shouldn’t aspire to go to the NFL. I don’t think packer players are getting mad that Aaron Rodgers breaks the bank. Also , on the flip side what if that RB can make 50k and break off money to his fellow offensive lineman? Something A-Rod has done in the past . I don’t think you guys understand the camaraderie between teammates 

Like that’ll actually happen! Pffft. Who’s being naive here?  Remember, these are kids who came from nothing and just want to help mama . At least that’s  what I’m hearing here , anyways.  A-Rod? You mean that guy that signed a$250,000,000.00 contract? A little different than the 50k you’re talking about

59 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Like that’ll actually happen! Pffft. Who’s being naive here?  Remember, these are kids who came from nothing and just want to help mama . At least that’s  what I’m hearing here , anyways.  A-Rod? You mean that guy that signed a$250,000,000.00 contract? A little different than the 50k you’re talking about

50k is a lot for somebody who has came from nothing clown. Secondly, read the context of the message before you comment so you won’t sound so incoherent next time 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

50k is a lot for somebody who has came from nothing clown. Secondly, read the context of the message before you comment so you won’t sound so incoherent next time 

A 100,000.00 scholarship should be a lot for someone who came from nothing,too, clown. I read the context of the message and your comparing A-rod with a college player was ridiculous. #neverenough

On 6/21/2021 at 8:52 PM, DAG said:

The NCAA didn't really fight this in any substantive way.  Congress will, at some point, pass an exemption to anti trust laws for collegiate athletics.  As much as I have despised the NCAA at times, there has to be an organization in control with everyone operating under a single set of rules.  If that is not in place, collegiate sports as we know them will be riddled with corruption to an extent never seen.  That would choke the life out of athletic departments across the country and young men and women will suffer as a result.  Some will get paid, but the majority that would have received the benefits of a free education and being admitted to schools that they would have never been admitted to without their athletic ability will be pushed out.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, aubaseball said:

What are you talking about?  Nothing!! Tell that to thousands of students paying $30k a year to go to school.   Tell that to the majority of student/athletes that have to pay to play at their schools.  

Why don’t we just do away with college sports and go to the European model of sports? That way no one will complain about “players not getting their fair share”!  

Or require every scholarship recipient to also qualify academically like every other student.  I'm not sure why that benefit never gets mentioned in the discussion. The majority of scholarship athletes would not have been admitted to the school had they been forced to gain acceptance like every other student on campus.