Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Happens all the time in the NFL with players who have much bigger egos. Oh btw , believe it or not, players who did get benefits in the past absolutely hooked their teammates up. It was well documented in the “U” when uncle Luke would hand off cash, jewelry , etc guys like Irvin would allow his roommates to wear it at the club or  distribute cash for food. Get with the times. It has already been happening.

If it's well documented, then post links to the documentation. The parts about handing cash to less talented players would be on point. Allowing them to wear and then return jewelry bears no weight.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

If it's well documented, then post links to the documentation. The parts about handing cash to less talented players would be on point. Allowing them to wear and then return jewelry bears no weight.

Watch the documentary the U. You can find it on ESPN plus. Your lazy ass can google search it. How does that hold no bearing ? Lol. That’s supposedly illegal per NCAA guidelines. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1994/05/20/ex-miami-players-tell-of-cash-pot/a02f1c61-c108-4565-905a-8dc4af6d2b8a/

It was almost expected," said former tight end Randy Bethel (1987-90). "Guys who made the pros came back and helped you financially by slipping a little something in your pockets. Friends helping friends. ..."

They got paid for TDs, big hits and friends who made it would also pay other friends regardless of celebrations or big hits. So why do you think that type of thinking will change all of a Sudden if you can make money by your own doing now at the collegiate level. You really don’t think lesser talent will get something at all? Stop being naive. These guys grow up with each other and consider each other brothers more than star ratings. 

If Bo Nix becomes a star and gets the opportunity to promote QB skills, you don't think there is an opportunity for him to invite Loy, DD and T.J. to a local camp invite or young leadership seminar? I tend to think someone like Bo would be willing to do that, and in this way, they all could possibly get something.

They also got paid to be security at local events as stated in the article. I highly doubt Michael Irvin or the “more talented” players were doing such things. 

If Bo Nix becomes a star and gets the opportunity to promote QB skills, you don't think there is an opportunity for him to invite Loy, DD and T.J. to a local camp invite or young leadership seminar? I tend to think someone like Bo would be willing to do that, and in this way, they all could possibly get something.

Don't be just making up stuff because you are uncomfortable with the direction this is going now.  Why the heck do you think athletes of all kinds and performers have "entourages?" They all aren't as talented as the main guy, most of the time, but usually they put their fellow core on. 

I know you are going to make some lame excuse rebuttal so here is my main few points in response to your post and others looking for negative:

1. Top talent has been receiving benefits in the past under the table and probably will receive more. This is not changing. 

2. Even in the past, it has not caused a schism between teammates

3. It has been shown that athletes give back, as most recent we saw OBJ doing it in the locker room with LSU (Openly like an idiot though).

4. Even if you are not the star athlete, there are ways to make money just by being on the team E.G. being paid as security as the article pointed out (Hopefully with the NIL, they won't have to go through extreme measures).

Edited by DAG
  • Facepalm 1

21 hours ago, DAG said:

It was almost expected," said former tight end Randy Bethel (1987-90).

So, the guy who tells me to "get with the times" has to go back over 30 years to Michael Irvin and Randy Bethel at UM to find his talking points? That's a hoot!

Now, you have (not so cleverly) tried to move the subject from team-mates sharing money to rich pro's coming back and slipping current players a few bucks. Fail.

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So, the guy who tells me to "get with the times" has to go back over 30 years to Michael Irvin and Randy Bethel at UM to find his talking points? That's a hoot!

Now, you have (not so cleverly) tried to move the subject from team-mates sharing money to rich pro's coming back and slipping current players a few bucks. Fail.

You think it's slowed down or stopped over the last 30 years?  Is that remotely logical?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I had to go back 30 years , yet I just posted an example of OBJ doing this about a couple of years ago? Lol

Lmao that the point. You just embarrassed yourself every single day. If it has been going on that long, why do you think all of a sudden players are going to get upset because the star players gets benefits. Hey genius they were teammates before they became pros.

Hey genius , they can now become rich in college, probably making up to six figures, and pass it along as well.

Hey genius, this is more logical than believing their agents, parents are not going to let them give whatever money they earned to teammates. What a hoot of a thing to even suggest. If pro teammates , who have no obligations to even provide for their fellow old teammates are willing to do it, why would you think this is out of the realm of possibility for current ones to do so? Again, you are just making up dire scenarios in your head with no logic. 

Edited by DAG
  • Facepalm 1

I’m really surprised by some comments so let’s interject so truth here. College football and basketball has been a business for quite some time.when you are paying head coaches 10 to 100 million dollars for a 7 year contract it is long past a college sport. Why should players not profit of what they are being used for. Auburn is taking in 150+ million a year in just football related income. Yes they are spending it on coaches and staff and facilities but that just makes it more of a business. Once college went into business mode then the Supreme Court had no option but to make it pay the people responsible for the income.And don’t throw in the scholarships because a lot of students get scholarships without having to spend most of their four years working. And don’t throw in about making it to the pros. First less than 3% make it and most will make less in their career   Than those that get good degrees in college. And those that do will most likely suffer severe bodily harm over their Careers that they will carry into their elder years. Only folks to blame here is colleges and boards that decided to go this route. Look at your non money sports. That is what true college sports should look like. College football and basketball did look like that many years ago. Money has ruined the game. 

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 2

Unanimous decision on a divided Supreme Court ruling over a divided nation. 

Yet this board still can't agree! Never change, AUFamily. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

You think it's slowed down or stopped over the last 30 years?  Is that remotely logical?

Then he can post some "documentation" of more recent players sharing their wealth with their contemporary team mates. As I've already noted, millionaire pros coming back and slipping current players a few bucks isn't what he's claiming.

He's saying that the Tank Bigsby's of the world will share their autograph cash more or less equally with the Devon Barrett's of the world. That's laughable.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Then he can post some "documentation" of more recent players sharing their wealth with their contemporary team mates. As I've already noted, millionaire pros coming back and slipping current players a few bucks isn't what he's claiming.

He's saying that the Tank Bigsby's of the world will share their autograph cash more or less equally with the Devon Barrett's of the world. That's laughable.

Lol more recent? I already posted more than enough to reinforce my position . You have yet to post or show anything of relevance to reinforce your outlandish scenario. Post me any history of players in professional , collegiate or otherwise sporting world  showing them being disgruntled by a guy making more than them.

If you can’t then we know you are just full of it. Since you are saying this is going to be a potential problem , show me some reinforcing idea as to why you would even conclude such an idea. I’ve already posted a couple of incidences old and new of former players and current players receiving some sort of benefits whether they are the stars or not with no issues between teammates and no one policing them. 

I will wait 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Obviously, this isn't the type of thing that lends itself to documentation. 

No one is saying Devon Barrett will profit equally to Tank. But Tank might break off some for his less talented teammates. The fact that you can't fathom anyone doing this tells me all I need to know about you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How about just doing away with all scholarships and make the players pay for college like everyone else?  Then the players that are really good and making money from their name/likeness will have plenty of money to pay for it.  This solution seems fair for everyone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fishepa said:

How about just doing away with all scholarships and make the players pay for college like everyone else?  Then the players that are really good and making money from their name/likeness will have plenty of money to pay for it.  This solution seems fair for everyone.  

How about no since they are "student athletes." 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAG said:
2 hours ago, fishepa said:

How about no since they are "student athletes." 

I was a "student athlete" in high high school and had to pay the same "fees" just like all the other students. Why not Collage? Take away the scholarships and make them pay just like every student that is not an athlete. I didn't have to play ball in high school, I wanted to. and they don't have to play ball in collage. A free ride in collage, and then getting paid also just because they play ball?!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I was a "student athlete" in high high school and had to pay the same "fees" just like all the other students. Why not Collage? Take away the scholarships and make them pay just like every student that is not an athlete. I didn't have to play ball in high school, I wanted to. and they don't have to play ball in collage. A free ride in collage, and then getting paid also just because they play ball?!!!

I'm sorry, cctiger but they are exponentially more valuable than you

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Because you weren’t exceptional. This is for those who are exceptional at what they do. I know that’s harsh, but it is a cold world out here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fishepa said:

See, if you do that then they are going to demand money from the schools.  Do you want "college" kids to make a couple grand from NIL or do you want each on making six figures, minimum? 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I'm sorry, cctiger but they are exponentially more valuable than you

Oh, I agree with you 100% on the "athletic" point. But what about the academic view of it?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Because you weren’t exceptional. This is for those who are exceptional at what they do. I know that’s harsh, but it is a cold world out here. 

I also agree with you. I wasn't exceptionally great on the field. And i know that it's a cold, harsh world out there. I just did the best that I could, worked hard, and I'm in pretty good shape as far as an old man is concerned.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

See, if you do that then they are going to demand money from the schools.  Do you want "college" kids to make a couple grand from NIL or do you want each on making six figures, minimum? 

Isn't this where this whole conversation is going?  These college kids are going to be demanding money from the schools and they are going to make a couple of grand from NIL and, may be making six figures, minimum. 

Yes.

All of the above.

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

I also agree with you. I wasn't exceptionally great on the field. And i know that it's a cold, harsh world out there. I just did the best that I could, worked hard, and I'm in pretty good shape as far as an old man is concerned.

Right so you should understand why those who work hard and can do what 99% of the population can’t do deserve something for being a student AND athlete. 

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right so you should understand why those who work hard and can do what 99% of the population can’t do deserve something for being a student AND athlete. 

And their "hard work" has paid off in a scholarship that the "regular student" has to pay for. I mean the athlete is getting to do what they love to do, "play ball" and receive a free education. What is more important, playing ball or the education?....I would have loved to received a scholarship and then got to play ball.  getting that degree from Auburn, that education, and then having the honor of wearing that Blue and orange jersey, and playing for Shug. What more could a young man have asked for,,, That would have been a bonus man. 

30 minutes ago, cctiger said:

And their "hard work" has paid off in a scholarship that the "regular student" has to pay for. I mean the athlete is getting to do what they love to do, "play ball" and receive a free education. What is more important, playing ball or the education?....I would have loved to received a scholarship and then got to play ball.  getting that degree from Auburn, that education, and then having the honor of wearing that Blue and orange jersey, and playing for Shug. What more could a young man have asked for,,, That would have been a bonus man. 

Yeah, this is not how that works. It is a joke to think a scholarship is equivalent to the millions of dollars that these athletes help the school produce, something that the other students absolutely DO NOT PRODUCE. 

WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT?

Why don't you ask the schools who pay millions of dollars for stadium renovation, who pay millions of dollars for head coaches, who pay for a 90 million dollar football only complex. Yes, to the typical fan who couldn't touch the plains, just playing would be enough. To the exceptional athlete, who is making the school millions of dollars from their own blood, sweat and tears, they deserve more. I am sorry the sociology degree Cam got, although wonderful, pales in comparison to the impact he made on the national and collegiate level playing football. Through his success, he has impacted a lot more communities then he could ever had by just obtaining a sociology degree.

He did this underneath way before he earned any degree from Auburn University.,

The Pro Bowl quarterback, who has been doing community work since his days at Auburn, started his Cam Newton Foundation in 2012. The foundation’s stated mission is “to ensure that children’s socioeconomic, educational, physical, and emotional needs are enhanced.” The foundation organizes several events each year focused on helping children and at which Newton is always present. When he speaks to the children in the communities he supports, he can say with pride and effort that getting his degree was worth it for him, and can be accomplished by anyone willing to work for it.

Edited by DAG

This discussion is usually limited to the student athlete and University. Yes the student gets an education and the school makes money off that.  But what about the corporate profits. ESPN does nothing for student athletes. Not a thing. But their brand makes Billions off of them. Same for Nike and Under Armour. Maybe the Universities wouldn’t have to consider building out an NIL plan if corporate sponsors paid into a fund to subsidize the players. Since players can’t work (NCAA mandate) include a stipend and insurance polices to pay for injuries and medical care. That approach would help the student athlete and prevent the NIL mess which is going to pit schools against each other. 

Edited by Gowebb11

3 hours ago, cctiger said:

Oh, I agree with you 100% on the "athletic" point. But what about the academic view of it?

That doesn't matter. People aren't watching them take tests on Saturday