Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Isn't this where this whole conversation is going?  These college kids are going to be demanding money from the schools and they are going to make a couple of grand from NIL and, may be making six figures, minimum. 

Yes.

All of the above.

No, NIL is different than schools putting them on payroll

22 hours ago, DAG said:

I already posted more than enough to reinforce my position

You have posted nothing indicating that players will play share and share alike with their new-found wealth. No, loaning somebody some jewelry over 30 years ago doesn't qualify.

8 hours ago, AUGoo said:

isn't this where this whole conversation is going?  These college kids are going to be demanding money from the schools and they are going to make a couple of grand from NIL and, may be making six figures, minimum. 

What I expect to happen, the top-notch recruits will be making on the order of a couple hundred thousand grand from the NIL. It's going to become a thinly veiled bidding war between the schools, or more to the point between their boosters.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

What I expect to happen, the top-notch recruits will be making on the order of a couple hundred thousand grand from the NIL. It's going to become a thinly veiled bidding war between the schools, or more to the point between their boosters.

Good

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Because you weren’t exceptional. This is for those who are exceptional at what they do. I know that’s harsh, but it is a cold world out here. 

Then they should be exceptional all around.  The logical next step is to require that all student athletes  be admitted to the school they attend based on the same standards as any other applicant.  People are acting as though being admitted is of no value, therefore taking that away wouldn't cause any sort of loss. Right?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Then they should be exceptional all around.  The logical next step is to require that all student athletes  be admitted to the school they attend based on the same standards as any other applicant.  People are acting as though being admitted is of no value, therefore taking that away wouldn't cause any sort of loss. Right?

There is value to their scholarship.  No one is staying that.

But the fact is they have a massive value on top of their scholarship that they haven't been able to capitalize on.  Literally everyone is getting rich except the people risking their bodies

Edited by W.E.D

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

You have posted nothing indicating that players will play share and share alike with their new-found wealth. No, loaning somebody some jewelry over 30 years ago doesn't qualify.

You have posted nothing indicating that players won’t share their wealth. No, just posting it at midnight doesn’t qualify nor repeating it senselessly won’t do it either . So I will take this as another baseless scenario. You are going 0-3 this summer going back to the offensive line discussion. Where is 64? At least he made worthy arguments. You been a walking L all summer. No need to continue this. 

Edited by DAG

Way to go. Slaves no more. No more sitting back and old men who don't lift a finger get all the money benefited off the work of the young. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/mike-check-blog/volleyball-player-proves-less-famous-athletes-can-cash-in-on-nil/KE47XPNO6JGGREDB32CURVGYMU/%3foutputType=amp

Another great article on how athletes with little fame can make money, spitting in the face the idea that you have to be top tier to get all the pieces of the pie, like one individual would like you to believe. Interesting this article makes another point that if the money were distributed equally without taking into account the individual work, it could cause animosity which I agree with and why I don't think it should be a flat stipend across the board. 

“You don’t have to be a Trevor Lawrence, a ‘top 10-percenter’ college athlete,” Mitchell said. “I play at a level that’s not close to funding D-1 schools. But at the level where I’m at, there are the same opportunities as those athletes. There are hundreds of athletes who are getting paid who only have 1,000 followers.”

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/mike-check-blog/volleyball-player-proves-less-famous-athletes-can-cash-in-on-nil/KE47XPNO6JGGREDB32CURVGYMU/%3foutputType=amp

Another great article on how athletes with little fame can make money, spitting in the face the idea that you have to be top tier to get all the pieces of the pie, like one individual would like you to believe. Interesting this article makes another point that if the money were distributed equally without taking into account the individual work, it could cause animosity which I agree with and why I don't think it should be a flat stipend across the board. 

“You don’t have to be a Trevor Lawrence, a ‘top 10-percenter’ college athlete,” Mitchell said. “I play at a level that’s not close to funding D-1 schools. But at the level where I’m at, there are the same opportunities as those athletes. There are hundreds of athletes who are getting paid who only have 1,000 followers.”

Sure, some folks with a particularly entrepreneurial bent can parlay their status as a college athlete into cash. But it takes a focus on doing so that distracts from both school and the sport/team and it’s not necessarily dependent on your contribution to the team. Every star RB and QB that makes bank is relying on the big uglies who most fans couldn’t pick out of a line up.

There are going to be 4 types of paydays from athletes under the current limited NIL rules.

Legit stars - they should be able to make good $$.  Will depend on how thoughtful they are with their image like any other "brand" has to be and consistent excellent play...Trevor Lawrence, Mac Jones, Najee Harris, Tank (maybe), Devonta Smith, etc...

Kardashians - kids that are famous for being famous...no stand out talent; but find ways to break-thru the media noise with some niche or outlandish behavior...I suspect we will see the "social justice" crowd being the largest contributor to this category...the Alphabet mafia will gobble this up...look at what the NFL just did with their latest social campaign.  The "jackass" crowd of course will always have a following...special teams wonders, etc.  David Langner types would have been an obvious standout in this category...drop kicking a prospective tackler would be a sure-fire media hit.

One hit wonders - like the Chris Davis's or Ricardo Louis...take one big play; and turn it into $$ well beyond their everyday contribution

Everyone else - small $$...lots of work on social media to translate into any kind of cash.  

For all of these, learning to balance their already busy schedules with the demands of their fan-base will be another rock on their immature piles...while not pissing of their staff, team-mates and universities.  I see no reason they shouldn't try to make $$.  Some few  will do well...most will not...it's called life.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

There is value to their scholarship.  No one is staying that.

But the fact is they have a massive value on top of their scholarship that they haven't been able to capitalize on.  Literally everyone is getting rich except the people risking their bodies

Like I have said before, I have no problem with players receiving more.  However, that compensation has to be the same across the board if it is to be paid by the athletic department.  It also has to be the same amount for someone that plays TE at bama and LB at Auburn or DE at Wake Forest.   Even the NFL recognizes the need for there to be as much of a level playing field as possible in order to safeguard the sport.  I can live with NIL being a separate conversation.  If things aren't done this way, there will be nothing left but a commercial enterprise.  As it stands today, the sport is more than just a business. I agree that coaching salaries are out of control, but there is very little that we can actually do about that.

Some people complain that the football program funds other sports.  We should be thankful that is the case.  As a society, we want young women to have opportunities thru athletics to better themselves and earn scholarships.  If someone thinks that is unfair, they are free to get a job and not play college football.  They will quickly learn that there are many things in life that aren't fair.  Those things all have much less value to the community than does providing funding for non revenue sports.

Congress will, at some point, pass federal legislation to regulate some of this. Most importantly, they will pass legislation that will exempt college athletics from anti-trust laws.  That will effectively declaw most 3rd party litigation.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Deestroying should have some sort of recognition for this. He was the first person to show how much can come from this, without selling anything. Just showing his everyday doings provided him wealth. Nothing was given to him but unfortunately he had to sacrifice his college career for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Sure, some folks with a particularly entrepreneurial bent can parlay their status as a college athlete into cash. But it takes a focus on doing so that distracts from both school and the sport/team and it’s not necessarily dependent on your contribution to the team. Every star RB and QB that makes bank is relying on the big uglies who most fans couldn’t pick out of a line up.

How so? We see kids all the time manage their social media, school and sports. Mind you , as this article has pointed out, it seems like other athletes are creating groups to help manage this , if individuals choose to do this.

I posted an article on how the previous USC long snapper is doing this very thing for future collegiate athletes.

Also I don’t know what your point is regarding the team approach . Why couldn’t the big uglies do the very same thing this NAIA volleyball player is doing ?

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Deestroying should have some sort of recognition for this. He was the first person to show how much can come from this, without selling anything. Just showing his everyday doings provided him wealth. Nothing was given to him but unfortunately he had to sacrifice his college career for it. 

Didn’t know you were up on Deestroying. He has done a great job marketing himself , to a good lifestyle .

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Who said that? I sure never said that. I said it’s a scholarship is great but it is not the equivalent to the millions these star athletes bring to school .

You seem to want to argue that when society disagrees with you. I wouldn’t be against academic standards across the board. Of course , I don’t think the coaches would agree to such standards but they aren’t like other students, though , as you been trying to debate otherwise, right ? 

37 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

However, that compensation has to be the same across the board if it is to be paid by the athletic department. 

Absolutely not. The NFL recognizes this? Really? How so? I don’t see offensive lineman making Patrick Mahomes money even though they were evidently of importance at the super bowl when he was running for his life.

41 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

but there is very little that we can actually do about that.

Why? Why is it okay for the coaches to make tons of money with incentives and have very little to nothing to do with academics, but the athletes become capped. Why not allow the coaches to take less of a salary and distribute that to all of the players like you are asking. 

Edited by DAG

49 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

However, that compensation has to be the same across the board if it is to be paid by the athletic department. 

NIL isn't being paid by schools.  For actually paying players from AD's budget, I'd be OK and agree with you on this.  but NIL isn't that.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Absolutely not. The NFL recognizes this? Really? How so? I don’t see offensive lineman making Patrick Mahomes money even though they were evidently of importance at the super bowl when he was running for his life.

NIL, no.  I could see it for AD's paying kids

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Your argument that college athletes have no time to do anything else besides school/football proves the point that they should be paid

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Didn’t know you were up on Deestroying. He has done a great job marketing himself , to a good lifestyle .

I was on him a little a while ago because of how dumb it was to stop him from playing football.....but when I saw him on house of athlete I was very happy to see him still going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Why? Why is it okay for the coaches to make tons of money with incentives and have very little to nothing to do with academics, but the athletes become capped. Why not allow the coaches to take less of a salary and distribute that to all of the players like you are asking. 

I don't like the salaries, but the coach is an employee of the university and the student is a student athlete.  If they don't want to be a student athlete, they are free to drop out and train full time on their own dime and try out for an NFL team when the NFL's rules allow them to do so.  The coaches won't be making these decisions.  College presidents will ultimately decide a framework, jointly with the leadership of the conferences that they have in place.

You have to see the inherent problem with schools paying athletes without some structure and balance from conference to conference and school to school.  The NFL, in their effort to make the game balanced and fair for all teams, has a salary cap and a prioritized draft, among other things.

• Like 2

Just now, AU9377 said:

I don't like the salaries, but the coach is an employee of the university and the student is a student athlete

So again, there is no point of us to keep up on this argument. We will keep running in circles. Yes, they are student athletes who are a part of a business. You seem to either not want to understand or inherently refuse to acknowledge it. Either way, all of this is going to be favorable to the student athlete and I consider that wonderful.

Just now, AU9377 said:

I don't like the salaries, but the coach is an employee of the university and the student is a student athlete.  If they don't want to be a student athlete, they are free to drop out and train full time on their own dime and try out for an NFL team when the NFL's rules allow them to do so.  The coaches won't be making these decisions.  College presidents will ultimately decide a framework, jointly with the leadership of the conferences that they have in place.

You have to see the inherent problem with schools paying athletes without some structure and balance from conference to conference and school to school.  The NFL, in their effort to make the game balanced and fair for all teams, has a salary cap and a prioritized draft, among other things.

This makes no sense. But fine the other side is it's a problem for the school to offer anything for talent then they are more than able to not participate and recruit suck guys and miss out on the millions of dollar profit. Trying to pretend that the school isn't getting much more than a player is laughable

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You cannot believe that some sort of open market will be adopted.  It won't be.  At the end of the day, every athletic department is one part of a larger university.  My comment about a level playing field, and the NFL recognizing the need for that, was meant to compare the things the NFL goes out of their way to do in order to ensure that happens. Things like a prioritized draft, salary caps, roster limits, etc.