Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Not at all.   I'm in favor of giving kids an increased stipend.  In a monitored way, I have no problem with them profiting from NIL.  I just don't want NIL used as a recruiting tool.  They realize that they are much better off playing ball and getting a free education, along with stipends etc than they are sitting at home and working.  Many also get to attend schools that they would have never been admitted to without athletics.

A stipend? Lol. Let me guess 1000 per player 

Edited by DAG

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just don't see why people whoare middle class and lower argue for the corrupt super wealthy.....that makes no sense to me. 

Many years from now people will look back at this argument and laugh, or cry......but it will be looked at how did people have such weak moral fibers in society just as we do now

Who is arguing for the corrupt and super wealthy?  The athletic department doesn't funnel money to someone behind a curtain.  They waste a lot of money on overpaying some coaches, but they also use revenue to provide scholarships for all sorts of other non revenue sports.  That is the mission of the university.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

A stipend? Lol. Let me guess 1000 per player 

What do you suggest?  Would you want $10,000 per player?  Is that not enough? Should we profit share in some way?  You know what that will accomplish? That will result in over 100 programs not having a football team at all.  You know who that hurts?  Those kids who need those scholarships to go to school.

Just now, AU9377 said:

What do you suggest?  Would you want $10,000 per player?  Is that not enough? Should we profit share in some way?  You know what that will accomplish? That will result in over 100 programs not having a football team at all.  You know who that hurts?  Those kids who need those scholarships to go to school.

I want the players to get whatever they think they deserve . It could be zero dollars,

it could be 100k.

I Don’t think people who make millions off the work of these young men should have a say in capping them and I definitely don’t think the average joe should either. Actually the average joe can have a say by either not watching or purchasing tickets anymore 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kids just fought for the ability to be able to transfer one single time without penalty.  But it's just like the real world.

You change jobs a 2nd time in life and for a year you can't be used.

I have no problem with kids transferring.  Just because I see the very real problems with uncontrolled payments to kids, doesn't mean that I dont want them to get something more.

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Who is arguing for the corrupt and super wealthy?  The athletic department doesn't funnel money to someone behind a curtain.  They waste a lot of money on overpaying some coaches, but they also use revenue to provide scholarships for all sorts of other non revenue sports.  That is the mission of the university.

The NCAA itself. But people go crazy with the thought of a kid getting a car or something but nobody goes deep into the coaches millions of dollars and all the perks. And nobody talks about the pay of the NCAA officials when they don't do anything but sit up high and ruin guys lives and opportunities. And with all this money being made I can just imagine all of the under handed things done amongst officials who of course pocket money to send their kids to school super privileged.....nobody questions them though....as if they did anything to justify their salaries

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I want the players to get whatever they think they deserve . It could be zero dollars,

it could be 100k.

I Don’t think people who make millions off the work of these young men should have a say in capping them and I definitely don’t think the average joe should either. Actually the average joe can have a say by either not watching or purchasing tickets anymore 

They are student athletes.  Therefore, they are governed by the university and its rules.  That has to be non negotiable.  They are free to go do something else.  No responsible educator will sanction some wild west franchise system for the athletic department.  Like it or not, there will be rules and there will never be some 100k payment to a student athlete to play football.

Just now, cole256 said:

The NCAA itself. But people go crazy with the thought of a kid getting a car or something but nobody goes deep into the coaches millions of dollars and all the perks. And nobody talks about the pay of the NCAA officials when they don't do anything but sit up high and ruin guys lives and opportunities. And with all this money being made I can just imagine all of the under handed things done amongst officials who of course pocket money to send their kids to school super privileged.....nobody questions them though....as if they did anything to justify their salaries

Gus Malzhan got incentives for APR scores bro. Something he has no hand in tbh. Yet you got guys arguing kids should get stipends. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, AU9377 said:

They are student athletes.  Therefore, they are governed by the university and its rules.  That has to be non negotiable.  They are free to go do something else.  No responsible educator will sanction some wild west franchise system for the athletic department.  Like it or not, there will be rules and there will never be some 100k payment to a student athlete to play football.

Well you aren’t going to like the future of sports. I suggest you just quit watching then. Your views add to this. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus Malzhan got incentives for APR scores bro. Something he has no hand in tbh. Yet you got guys arguing kids should get stipends. 

And then you find out they got under coached as far as being prepared to hopefully go to the league and they had crap equipment and even that wasn't plentiful for them???? 

If anything our players were cheated twice. Just think how mad you'd be if you found out that happened to your son..... I'd be furious.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

His incentive is to keep APR scores high enough so as to not endanger the schools eligibility to play.  The incentive is to recruit players with better academics when possible.  Again, I agree that coaching contracts are out of control.  That doesn't mean that some sort of free for all can actually work when it comes to player compensation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

And then you find out they got under coached as far as being prepared to hopefully go to the league and they had crap equipment and even that wasn't plentiful for them???? 

If anything our players were cheated twice. Just think how mad you'd be if you found out that happened to your son..... I'd be furious.

That is nonsense.  I guess the guys that did well did it all their own.

Just now, cole256 said:

That’s why I am hoping the NIL also brings parity back . For instance , DS is completely against players get paid eventhough he makes 10 mil. Players kind of had to deal with that non sense because he is a top tier coach with a top tier program. However , you can now make money and still try to get to the pros? That changes things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well you aren’t going to like the future of sports. I suggest you just quit watching then. Your views add to this. 

There won't be a free market when it comes to college athletics.  There may be some sort of G league, but there will not be a free market in college sports.

Just now, AU9377 said:

That is nonsense.  I guess the guys that did well did it all their own.

What is nonsense? What did I say in what you quoted is nonsense? EVERYTHING I said is documented fact

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

His incentive is to keep APR scores high enough so as to not endanger the schools eligibility to play.  The incentive is to recruit players with better academics when possible.  Again, I agree that coaching contracts are out of control.  That doesn't mean that some sort of free for all can actually work when it comes to player compensation.

He had nothing to do with that is my point. Why the hell would he get a bonus for it? Is he out there tutoring and teaching classes? Why don’t the teachers and academic advisors get that lump sum? 

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

There won't be a free market when it comes to college athletics.  There may be some sort of G league, but there will not be a free market in college sports.

Payers will get paid is my point and you will just have to sit with it.

Just now, cole256 said:

What is nonsense? What did I say in what you quoted is nonsense? EVERYTHING I said is documented fact

The whining about equipment for God's sake.  Also, for every coach there will be players that love him and others that blame him.  That is life.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He had nothing to do with that is my point. Why the hell would he get a bonus for it? Is he out there tutoring and teaching classes? Why don’t the teachers and academic advisors get that lump sum? 

I don't like the coaching contracts.  However, the person at the top is both held responsible for and rewarded for outcomes.  Those outcomes, regardless of what they may be, are always dependent on those down the chain.

Just now, AU9377 said:

I don't like the coaching contracts.  However, the person at the top is both held responsible for and rewarded for outcomes.  Those outcomes, regardless of what they may be, are always dependent on those down the chain.

You didn't answer my question

Just now, AU9377 said:

The whining about equipment for God's sake.  Also, for every coach there will be players that love him and others that blame him.  That is life.

Whining? Yeah now you're just talking but you don't know what you are saying. Players have talked about this, and it's a big part of recruiting. And when players say they are at the camps in NFL and they are behind everybody else on concepts and stuff that's a huge problem that I guess someone like you can scoff at, but once again these are major problems as far as recruiting and also showing how all this money that's being made isn't even going back into the program. 

But yeah it's whiny and you know exactly what you are talking about

Just thinking out loud, but does this open the door for Universities or Conferences to somehow be able to have athletes sign not to compete forms?

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Whining? Yeah now you're just talking but you don't know what you are saying. Players have talked about this, and it's a big part of recruiting. And when players say they are at the camps in NFL and they are behind everybody else on concepts and stuff that's a huge problem that I guess someone like you can scoff at, but once again these are major problems as far as recruiting and also showing how all this money that's being made isn't even going back into the program. 

But yeah it's whiny and you know exactly what you are talking about

We are building a $92 million facility.  We made a coaching change, although it had little to do with concepts and much to do with wins and losses.  The new staff is struggling in the area of recruiting.   Hopefully that gets better.

23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Just thinking out loud, but does this open the door for Universities or Conferences to somehow be able to have athletes sign not to compete forms?

If people don't talk rationally about the sport, compensation and the like, things like non competes could certainly be part of the discussion down the road.  I honestly believe that college administrators will go the other direction if pushed and protect the concept of the student athlete.  I've never been a big fan of the NCAA, but we have to have some regulating entity in order to have a structured competition.

• Like 1