Casey Dunn is New UAB Baseball Coach

Casey Dunn is making a short move after being named head coach of the UAB baseball program.

Dunn was officially named the sixth head coach in program history by UAB athletic director Mark Ingram following a 17-year stint with Samford.

“We are thrilled to welcome Casey Dunn into our UAB family,” Ingram said. “His relationships in Birmingham and around the country, along with his track record of success made him an ideal choice. I am confident that UAB can be a dominant force in baseball if we provide the resources necessary for success. We have plans to invest in our facilities in a way that puts our coaches and student-athletes in a position to win championships.”

Samford made its third NCAA postseason appearance this year under Dunn, who accumulated a 530-422 record during his 17-year career with the Bulldogs. He also led Samford to seven straight seasons of 30-plus wins and 13 of the last 15 seasons.

“I am excited about the opportunity to be the next head baseball coach at UAB,” Dunn said. Samford has and will always hold a special place in my heart. I look forward to the challenge of building a championship team in Conference USA. The vision that Mark has for baseball is one that excites me, and I look forward to working beside him to bring it to reality. To all the former players and supporters, it’s time to get on board and help take UAB to new heights.”

Dunn played four seasons for Auburn (1996-1999) and started the Spain Park baseball program in 2002 after a two-year stint in the Kansas City Royals system.

The Blazers finished the 2021 season with an 18-36 record in Perry Roth’s lone season as head coach.

It seems Auburn has lagged in baseball for years.  A teaser season here or there but nothing consistent   Much like swimming there are legacy coaches that seem to be a good fit that never get a look. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, tomcat said:

It seems Auburn has lagged in baseball for years.  A teaser season here or there but nothing consistent   Much like swimming there are legacy coaches that seem to be a good fit that never get a look. 🤷‍♂️

I love me some Casey Dunn, watched him grow up as I played for his dad.  However, we've got the guy who could make Hal Baird (who I also played for) look sub-par.  Athletic department has to go all in for once.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 3:21 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

I love me some Casey Dunn, watched him grow up as I played for his dad.  However, we've got the guy who could make Hal Baird (who I also played for) look sub-par.  Athletic department has to go all in for once.....

PoD…apologies for the delayed response. I appreciate your perspective, and obviously, you are far closer to this than I am. I’m thinking Butch has a good staff..especially a big name like Tim Hudson. What do you think is needed to jump start this program? I’m thinking Miss State.

2 hours ago, tomcat said:

PoD…apologies for the delayed response. I appreciate your perspective, and obviously, you are far closer to this than I am. I’m thinking Butch has a good staff..especially a big name like Tim Hudson. What do you think is needed to jump start this program? I’m thinking Miss State.

Ha, the jump start happened the moment we got Butch, but he has got to be supported or somebody else is going to come get him.  I'm not as close as others on the baseball board, but I'll give some brief opinion.  I do love the commitment from the former player assistants, but I have concerns about the difficulties that are common when a great player turns to coaching;  I believe Butch could do better (Nonemaker excluded).  My main issue is the lack of funding available to the program.  As I've mentioned in other threads, Coach Thompson should not have to be begging for financial support.  I like the way you think, MSU spent nearly $70 MILLION renovating Dudy Noble.  That's all in.  Oklahoma State, which hasn't really been relavent in college baseball since Incaviglia and Ventura shows what commitment looks like with the new O'brate Stadium.....

Oklahoma-State-University-Baseball-Stadium-2-835x471.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:05 PM, tomcat said:

The 2019 team was in the CWS. Butch is the right guy to get us there again but as noted above, he needs some support from the administration.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot to love about AU's baseball program and over the years the athletic department's support seems to come in spurts. A little here and a little something there. At times, I have found it odd when AU throws mountains of money at certain items and other areas they try to squeeze blood out of a turnip. However, I totally agree with everyone's statements. It's a proven theory that if you invest in an athletic program, success will follow. Sitting in Plainsman Park, I get the feeling we are behind....really behind. AU Baseball support should be high on the board's agenda, especially in a conference that bodes the best of the best in college baseball. 

• Like 1

I am unsure of this...outside of Plainsman Park, is there another SEC baseball park in need of a renovation/upgrade? I believe Lindsay Nelson (UTK) is in poor shape but scheduled to be completely redone, if not demolished. Otherwise, it seems most SEC parks are either new or have been completely renovated. However, there are a few I haver never stepped foot in like UK, MU, or Ole Miss. 

BTW, I am in no means knocking AU baseball's grounds crew or facility maintenance. They do an artful and amazing job. There is just some noticeable aspects that are missing or subpar next to peers. I have noticed our baseball facility ranking is trending downward each year-or-two, vs. early 2000s, so I think others are noticing too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Top 25 stadiums (according to players), prior to UF and UK opening their new ones.....

736474710_top25.thumb.png.050327e1415b664d58944de3724e2e4d.png

Quite frankly I'd take HF@PP over what they've got in Nashville any day of the week. 

For what it's worth, our playing surface is outstanding...that grounds crew is really good. 

I suppose they only really inferior faciltiy is Taylor in Columbia, MO.