UGA Transfer WR Demetris Robertson Commits to Auburn!!!

Zeek

Put me in the group that doesn't think we've had elite talent at WR. Certainly, no one can argue we've had elite production, but even talking talent, we've had very good players. But not elite, if that word really means something. Slayton is probably the most talented Auburn WR in the last 20 years. The only other guys in the conversation would be Kyle Davis and Duke Williams. Both of those guys put a lid on their own potential with off-field stuff, but in terms of talent, they were in Slayton's area code. I don't think the same of Seth, and Schwartz is the great unknown.

Otherwise, who has been an elite talent? Sammie Coates maximized everything he had, but he wasn't elite in the sense of being an All-American type of talent. Same for Ryan Davis. Ricardo Louis was an elite athlete with horrible hands (but for one glorious play). Darvin Adams couldn't scratch in the NFL, and that really didn't surprise me. He's the Lee Ziemba of WRs. Looked great in that particular offense but wasn't a great talent. Stove was a solid player but certainly not an elite talent.

With Seth and Schwartz, we'll find out. I think Gus criminally underutilized talent on the outside, but the proof is in the pudding. If a guy has elite talent, he's going to be featured at the next level. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Don't think anyone is saying they don't want him

Oh I didn’t know I said someone said that .

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well there you go!!! All is clear now

Problem solved!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, au302 said:

I'm surprised this guy hasn't committed anywhere yet, whether us or somewhere else. As a transfer with only a year left, you'd think he'd want to get on a campus and start workouts, developing chemistry with QB and teammates, learn playbook, etc.

If he's coming to Auburn, he'll have to wait until August (I think) to join the team, anyway, because he'll be one we're counting forward to next year's class.

Why should Auburn give up a 2022 scholarship for someone who only has one year of eligibility left and will not be on the team for the 2022 season? 

3 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Why should Auburn give up a 2022 scholarship for someone who only has one year of eligibility left and will not be on the team for the 2022 season? 

That's a good question now that there is the "free agency portal" It may backfire on some kids, however if you want to win and you have needs, it might be worth the risk..You could also get someone next year as a freshman or in the portal.

Edited by Randman5000

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Oh I didn’t know I said someone said that .

Correct, no one did.  Seemed odd to open with "No reason not to welcome him" when everyone said they wanted him.

30 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

If he's coming to Auburn, he'll have to wait until August (I think) to join the team, anyway, because he'll be one we're counting forward to next year's class.

He'd just have to pay his own way to live here.  Finley is here and he isn't technically on scholarship until August. 

20 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Well I guess someone now did, @DAG

Our top returning WR has like 12 career catches.  The benefit a vet could bring to a group of really green WRs might pay some solid dividends past this year.

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Correct, no one did.  Seemed odd to open with "No reason not to welcome him" when everyone said they wanted him.

Not odd at all. What’s odd is the questioning of why we are evening pursuing him. You would have to be a fool to not accept his commitment  . But as you pointed out, we have someone say why are we even offering him and another way they wound rather have a three star recruit .

To me the first four comments should’ve been the thread. He is a former five star recruit l, he is a vet, he has talent despite productivity and we have a bunch of unknowns at the WR position . This should be a slam dunk in terms of agreement.

Edited by DAG

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He'd just have to pay his own way to live here.  Finley is here and he isn't technically on scholarship until August. 

Would he be able to work out with the team as a non-student, though?

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Would he be able to work out with the team as a non-student, though?

Yeah pretty sure. 

5 hours ago, Paladin said:

If they could play LT

• Like 4

Sure would be something if we got this thUGA kid and he convinced an OT to transfer after spending July at Auburn.   You know a kid that has enough talent, but not enough to get lots of playing time at thUGA.  

pipedream....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paladin said:

What I think you are saying is that he's already transferred once, so no matter where he goes next he'll have to sit out a transfer year. That is true, unless he's a grad transfer. I didn't check that. So no, if he has to sit the '21 season he won't do us a lot of good.

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What I think you are saying is that he's already transferred once, so no matter where he goes next he'll have to sit out a transfer year. That is true, unless he's a grad transfer. I didn't check that. So no, if he has to sit the '21 season he won't do us a lot of good

He originally signed with California in the 2016 class. He's already played four years, with a red shirt season in 2017 due to an injury. He transferred to Georgia in 2018.

For 2021, he's taking the additional year that the NCAA gave due to the 'Wuhan' Virus.

Edited by Paladin
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

That is true, unless he's a grad transfer. I didn't check that. So no, if he has to sit the '21 season he won't do us a lot of good.

Maybe you should check that next time b/c he's a grad transfer

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why should I have checked? I explained that well enough for anybody with an ounce of sense to understand it.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why should I have checked? I explained that well enough for anybody with an ounce of sense to understand it.

Because that entire post is completely irrelevant, maybe?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Because that entire post is completely irrelevant, maybe?

"The government thinks these people are irrelevant, we do not"  From the opening lines of the late, great TV series, Person of Interest".

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

"The government thinks these people are irrelevant, we do not"  From the opening lines of the late, great TV series, Person of Interest".

So you don't think it's irrelevant when you make a post that suggests if one thing is true, then there's no point, even when that one thing turns out to be false?

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

So you don't think it's irrelevant when you make a post that suggests if one thing is true, then there's no point, even when that one thing turns out to be false?

I was responding to @Paladin . He clarified his post for me and added more information, which I appreciate. If you have a problem with that it's your problem, not mine.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So you don't talk out of your ass?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I was responding to @Paladin . He clarified his post for me and added more information, which I appreciate. If you have a problem with that it's your problem, not mine.

I was answering the question you asked. You know, here:

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That was a response to this: 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Which was a response to this:

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

What I think you are saying is that he's already transferred once, so no matter where he goes next he'll have to sit out a transfer year. That is true, unless he's a grad transfer. I didn't check that. So no, if he has to sit the '21 season he won't do us a lot of good.

Now THAT was a response to Paladin. What I replied to was your response to W.E.D, a snarky question about why you should have bother to check something when that something would mean the whole conversation is moot.

My response to that was to point out that the something you didn't check was the something that held the crux of the situation, so maybe you should check it before mouthing off about how stupid it would be. Then you blew me off as if I didn't know what I was talking about with a stupid quote from a stupid TV show produced last century.