Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

11 hours ago, fredst said:

Yes, the pandemic is global and has affected everyone’s recruiting. No, not everyone has been dealing with the pandemic while transitioning to an almost completely different staff. It has not affected every school to the same extent

I agree. The unique case of a pandemic, no one campus contact and a coach from outside the region isn't helping. It's something you can't compare to prior coaches 

At least I hope that's what it is

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina are well ahead of AU right now and they face the same things you mention. I hope and expect that we'll finish ahead of those schools by final signing day in February. Time will tell. Right now we are dead last in recruiting in the SEC.

Yes, I have been able to read that when you typed it the other times. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

That sounds great to say, but the reality is that it doesn't matter so much if we have the #12 ranked class or #9.  It matters a great deal if we are looking at the # 34 ranked class if our rivals have top 5 classes. Coaching up happens, but we can't rely on that alone with every position to make up that kind of ground.  Bobo has a history of coaching up QBs but, other than that, there aren't many position coaches that I can point to and declare the new coach to be a definite improvement from a player development viewpoint.

That's not the argument here. 

But since we're here, no, this isn't going to be a big time class. But y'all go on freaking out about that. I'm more than happy to let Harsin- unlike his predecessors- build it the right way. If he's not doing that by 2023, then I'll join the chorus.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If we had expanded seating in Jordan Hare, scheduled Notre Dame, and brought back orange facemasks we'd be doing better.  We should start offering more 5 stars too. I read somewhere we are in last place in the SEC.

Yellow font of course.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Several of those 2010 kids ended up getting arrested for violent crimes or getting kicked off the team for other reasons. Chad Slade, Corey Lemonier and Cam Newton- who only came to Auburn because Kenny Rogers screwed it up for MSU- were the only legit NFL players in that class.

Doesn't really matter where this class is ranked. What matters is what we think about this class 3-4 (or 11) years from now. We get 10 serious contributors out of this class and it's easily better than that 2010 class was.

This post is so dead on. How many of the Gus classes were pumped up with having 4 or 5 WRs and all end up transferring. We’ve had great classes but so few players go on the the nfl. Auburn has become known as a place that doesn’t develops talent. That’s why Gus had the #40 ranked class when got fired. Harsin is going to have to start actually making players better while they are here to fight that perception. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

This post is so dead on. How many of the Gus classes were pumped up with having 4 or 5 WRs and all end up transferring. We’ve had great classes but so few players go on the the nfl. Auburn has become known as a place that doesn’t develops talent. That’s why Gus had the #40 ranked class when got fired. Harsin is going to have to start actually making players better while they are here to fight that perception. 

People know these things. They just conveniently ignore them when trying to prop up weak ass arguments

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina are well ahead of AU right now and they face the same things you mention. I hope and expect that we'll finish ahead of those schools by final signing day in February. Time will tell. Right now we are dead last in recruiting in the SEC.

Come on now.

Look at those schools in detail. Vanderbilt has 10 (all 3*), Tenn has 8( 1 4*). OM has 5 and is 57th. SC has 13 but only 3 4*).

Auburn has 3 commits. ofc that is going to put them lower on sheer numbers alone. And they have more or as many 4* as UT and Vandy. So that means nothing on July 4th. 

I do believe though that the early signing period in December has to be the time when we jump into that top 15-20 to feel we are on solid ground. Most players will have committed by then, not in February. 

• Like 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

That's not the argument here. 

But since we're here, no, this isn't going to be a big time class. But y'all go on freaking out about that. I'm more than happy to let Harsin- unlike his predecessors- build it the right way. If he's not doing that by 2023, then I'll join the chorus.

Nobody, atleast not me, is freaking out about it at all.  However, it is something to be concerned about.  The concern is amplified due to the lack of experience that much of the staff has recruiting the Southeast.  They can overcome that, but they need to make some strides over the next 3 months doing so or things could get dicey.  None of us want to be playing catch up this time next year.  Doing that would result in back to back sub par classes and that is a concern when our rivals are pulling in talent at an historic level.  Overall, Chizik and Gus both recruited a lot of very talented players to AU.  Until the last class, Gus consistently brought in top 10 recruiting classes.  Rodney Garner was a big part of that and is now doing the same at Tennessee. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Whatever you want to believe is bliss, but Nike giving us pennies was and and is not preferable to UA paying us real money.  By the way, like him or not, Gus played a major role in both 2010 and 2013.  To act as though he didn't is foolish.

So, how many school are endorsed by Nike compared to under armor? also Auburn is loosing money on this deal.. we must protect this house has pull the rug out from under 2 schools out on the west coast, Auburn fell for this con game from under crap. By the way, Cam Newton/ Nick Marshall covered up the flaws of that clown offense.. they played a huge role in the perception of how good of a coach Arthur was, I would encourage you to go back and watch the 2017 L S U / UGA at Auburn game and you will find out or see just how good Arthur is when he has a good play caller and when he takes back over.

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Amen to that.   If he had hired Lashlee to take over the offense, it is anybody's guess how things would have turned out, but I have to believe that the result would have been better than we got with coach killer Loefler.

That team surrendered 38 or more points 4 times, but sure, it was all Loeffler's fault. 

PS- Gus's offense was just as bad the last half of 2011.

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Rodney Garner was a big part of that and is now doing the same at Tennessee. 

Who has he brought in to UT? They have 8 commits, and only one of them is rated higher than top 500 in the nation. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

That team surrendered 38 or more points 4 times, but sure, it was all Loeffler's fault. 

PS- Gus's offense was just as bad the last half of 2011.

Yes, the defense was bad, but the offense was pathetic.  The defense also held LSU to 12 points, only to see the offense only score 10.  As for Loeffler, the offense that he declared was void of talent looked much better a year later.

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

So, how many school are endorsed by Nike compared to under armor? also Auburn is loosing money on this deal.. we must protect this house has pull the rug out from under 2 schools out on the west coast, Auburn fell for this con game from under crap. By the way, Cam Newton/ Nick Marshall covered up the flaws of that clown offense.. they played a huge role in the perception of how good of a coach Arthur was, I would encourage you to go back and watch the 2017 L S U / UGA at Auburn game and you will find out or see just how good Arthur is when he has a good play caller and when he takes back over.

The point is that it doesn't matter how many are endorsed by Nike vs UA.  It does matter that UA has treated AU very well.  I suppose you still believe that we can't be successful in basketball as well.  I like Nike products, but this isn't about who makes the best fitting t-shirt for me.  This is about who better funds the athletic department and provides the student athletes with what they need.  That "clown" offense did something that nobody else had done in over 50 years..... twice.  He certainly has his flaws, but I do not get the need to constantly berate the man. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Come on now.

Look at those schools in detail. Vanderbilt has 10 (all 3*), Tenn has 8( 1 4*). OM has 5 and is 57th. SC has 13 but only 3 4*).

Yes look at them. They have more than we do, at this point. The majority of uncomitted prospects that are mentioned on this recruiting forum are 3* players. It's too early to be shouting doom and gloom, but it's not too early to be concerned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

The point is that it doesn't matter how many are endorsed by Nike vs UA.  It does matter that UA has treated AU very well.  I suppose you still believe that we can't be successful in basketball as well.  I like Nike products, but this isn't about who makes the best fitting t-shirt for me.  This is about who better funds the athletic department and provides the student athletes with what they need.  That "clown" offense did something that nobody else had done in over 50 years..... twice.  He certainly has his flaws, but I do not get the need to constantly berate the man. 

yes it does, how many programs are leaving Nike because of not being compensated well?? it's not about the money as much as it is about what they do for your athletic programs. I don't know if you have heard, but this goes well beyond Basketball, mods on rivals said that under armor is hurting Baseball in recruiting. That man was a fraud and a poor leader of men, so, you are saying Chiz is not responsible for one of which you are referring to? and 2004 never happen with BIG AL BORGES!?!? which we were robbed of.. I strongly suggest you look up the Auburn - Under Armor deal and come back and tell me who is benefiting from this deal.

This poster kills me. It is totally okay to disregard COVID now as he makes his argument. "Everyone else is going through it too." But last year when we were saying how that wasn't an excuse for in game results, that was not the case. 

I’m a little surprised at the discourse on this topic. On one side we have that guy that hates Harsin and won’t shut up about Napier. On the other side, we have some of the best posters acting like it’s ridiculous to have concerns about the current state of recruiting, which is clearly bad. This is a recruiting board. What else is there to say about recruiting right now?

I would have assumed the majority opinion would be excited about Harsin and concerned about recruiting.

• Like 2

Just now, eaglenest said:

yes it does, how many programs are leaving Nike because of not being compensated well?? it's not about the money as much as it is about what they do for your athletic programs. I don't know if you have heard, but this goes well beyond Basketball, mods on rivals said that under armor is hurting Baseball in recruiting. That man was a fraud and a poor leader of men, so, you are saying Chiz is not responsible for one of which you are referring to? and 2004 never happen with BIG AL BORGES!?!? which we were robbed of.. I strongly suggest you look up the Auburn - Under Armor deal and come back and tell me who is benefiting from this deal.

Compare the Nike deal with Tennessee with the UA deal with Auburn.  Even with the equity stock value decrease, Auburn's deal is miles ahead of what Nike pays UT.  Due to UA's financial issues, we may indeed be looking to Nike in 2025, but that will mean a substantial  reduction in revenue from the apparel deal.

https://apnews.com/article/butch-jones-tennessee-archive-854120518a824f6b93c19f636ceba1b9

https://www.al.com/sports/2015/10/auburn_extends_apparel_deal_wi.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cbo said:

I would have assumed the majority opinion would be excited about Harsin and concerned about recruiting.

I find those positions to be mutually exclusive, personally. The minute I think recruiting is legitimately a problem, I won't be able to be excited about Harsin.

I am not concerned about recruiting yet because I didn't expect us to have numbers at this point. I will be surprised and concerned if we don't have some OLs by December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Yes, the defense was bad, but the offense was pathetic.  The defense also held LSU to 12 points, only to see the offense only score 10.  As for Loeffler, the offense that he declared was void of talent looked much better a year later.

Lol. You just described a significant portion of the Gus Malzahn experience. 

Also, I urge you to consider if the talent available in 2013 was really the same as that available in 2012. You might start with one particularly important position on offense.

But I see that we get further off topic with every exchange. Feel free to have a last word here.

In 2012, Auburn was essentially a high school all star team playing against college football teams.  Recruiting means very little without coaching.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cbo said:

I’m a little surprised at the discourse on this topic. On one side we have that guy that hates Harsin and won’t shut up about Napier. On the other side, we have some of the best posters acting like it’s ridiculous to have concerns about the current state of recruiting, which is clearly bad. This is a recruiting board. What else is there to say about recruiting right now?

The season hasn’t even started yet and you got guys concerned about recruiting. It isn’t even summer camp yet! Yes I think that is extreme and a little ridiculous especially since this is a new coaching staff and nobody knows how we look. The first few weeks of the season will tell us a lot. Goodness this coaching staff is like this. They slow played the hires. They slow played this past recruiting class. This isn’t time for instant gratification which we had in the past and fell on our faces . At least let some action play out first 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Compare the Nike deal with Tennessee with the UA deal with Auburn.  Even with the equity stock value decrease, Auburn's deal is miles ahead of what Nike pays UT.  Due to UA's financial issues, we may indeed be looking to Nike in 2025, but that will mean a substantial  reduction in revenue from the apparel deal.

https://apnews.com/article/butch-jones-tennessee-archive-854120518a824f6b93c19f636ceba1b9

https://www.al.com/sports/2015/10/auburn_extends_apparel_deal_wi.html

So why do you think UT made that move if it was all about the money? waiting.... it about politics and influence and power sometime in order to be in the game you have to play the game. If you can't beat them, then you better join them.

On 7/3/2021 at 12:46 AM, Mikey said:

Their classes will be in the exact same situation, coach hired the previous winter and coached through one complete season.

Chizik's 2010 class was ranked #4 nationally with three 5* players signed. (Rivals)

Can Harsin match Chizik? We'll know in February.

Looking forward to reading one excuse after the other. Great comparison though, thanks for posting!

Auburn currently ranked 64th in the country in recruiting, or something like that?

On 7/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, W.E.D said:

It's really not, tho. Two huge issues. First, Covid limiting the staff for meeting anyone for 5 months since they were hired. Second, NSD in December has moved the recruiting calendar forward 2 months. So thry are 7 months behind. I really hope that's what is holding them back

I'll say this, that 2010 staff would be recruitimg better than this current staff. 

It’s not holding back the 60 some teams that are ranked ahead of us in recruiting.

• Like 1