Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

On 7/3/2021 at 9:11 PM, Rednilla said:

The levels you are going to in trying to dampen the optimism being built by this new staff are pretty funny. Signing day is two months sooner, and recruiting was all over Zoom conferences until a month ago, meaning the coaches weren't able to use Auburn to sell Auburn (or visit recruits to get their foot in the door), but hey yeah it'll all be EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT WAS IN 2010!!!

Oh yeah, btw, let's make a comparison that makes Harsin look worse than a coach who won more than 8 games exactly one time in his entire head coaching career. That's sure to knock all those optimists who understand butthurt when they see it off their pedestals. 

Dampen the optimism? Really? You’re optimistic about the current recruiting class?

On 7/4/2021 at 9:48 AM, Mikey said:

Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina are well ahead of AU right now and they face the same things you mention. I hope and expect that we'll finish ahead of those schools by final signing day in February. Time will tell. Right now we are dead last in recruiting in the SEC.

There you go again trying to “dampen the optimism” with reality. Lol

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Several have shared this notion and I agree with it. Why go all in, right here, right now, when you feel there's a chance to do better? They're holding the reigns on commitments because they're waiting on decisions from higher rated recruits/transfers. Nothing to base it on, but it makes the most sense.

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Compare the Nike deal with Tennessee with the UA deal with Auburn.  Even with the equity stock value decrease, Auburn's deal is miles ahead of what Nike pays UT.  Due to UA's financial issues, we may indeed be looking to Nike in 2025, but that will mean a substantial  reduction in revenue from the apparel deal.

https://apnews.com/article/butch-jones-tennessee-archive-854120518a824f6b93c19f636ceba1b9

https://www.al.com/sports/2015/10/auburn_extends_apparel_deal_wi.html

More facts; people like you are going to kill people on this board. Stop using exact facts and numbers and start making things up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Tenn has 8( 1 4*)

Good catch. According to 247, 6 or 7 of their 8 commits aren’t even rated in the top 500 players in the nation. Like it or not, we just have to be patient and see if we can look great come signing day. 

On 7/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, Rednilla said:

The levels you are going to in trying to dampen the optimism being built by this new staff are pretty funny. Signing day is two months sooner, and recruiting was all over Zoom conferences until a month ago, meaning the coaches weren't able to use Auburn to sell Auburn (or visit recruits to get their foot in the door), but hey yeah it'll all be EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT WAS IN 2010!!!

Oh yeah, btw, let's make a comparison that makes Harsin look worse than a coach who won more than 8 games exactly one time in his entire head coaching career. That's sure to knock all those optimists who understand butthurt when they see it off their pedestals. 

Hell yeah Red . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Dampen the optimism? Really? You’re optimistic about the current recruiting class?

He didn't say dampen the optimism of posters. He said dampen the optimism of the coaching staff. 

Stay on point in your criticism of posters. 

You and I have no clue what the current staff think of the current recruiting class and their targets. 

No one is happy with the current class. That's obvious. But there may be optimism(and hope) when it counts come December. 

Maybe we need a weekly optimism meter to gauge our thoughts...

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

More facts; people like you are going to kill people on this board. Stop using exact facts and numbers and start making things up!

I agree. We did that for 8 years with Malzahn. Why change and start using facts now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 and 4 star commit date for 2010 class

Dyer committed in November.

Reed committed in November.

Lemonier committed February 2010

Whitaker committed February 2010

owens committed February 2010

Goodwin committed in December

Mack committed February 2010

Kitchens committed April 

Sanders committed end of September

Gayden in December

carter end of July

Holland in April

3 and 2 star commit dates

Richardson in June

Christian in October

White in February 2010

D Mosley in November 

B Mosley in December

Parker February 2010

McNeal in February 2010

Delaine  in February 2010

White in December

Curry in June

Davis in December

Slade in June

Smith in February 2010

Clark in October

Fariyike February 2010

Phillips February 2010

So the Chizik crew had 5 commits by this date in 2009 for the 2010 recruiting class and did all their heavy work when the season started and players saw the product on the field first…………

ACTUAL FACTS

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Lol. You just described a significant portion of the Gus Malzahn experience. 

Also, I urge you to consider if the talent available in 2013 was really the same as that available in 2012. You might start with one particularly important position on offense.

But I see that we get further off topic with every exchange. Feel free to have a last word here.

Comical.  You compare "the Gus Malzahn experience" with 2012.....   Seriously?  The OP and I were discussing 2012 and the worst hire in the history of AU athletics, Scott Loeffler. The one important position on offense you speak of was a converted DB with no experience playing QB at this level of competition.  I'm glad that he magically transformed himself over the course of the season.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Kitchens committed April 

Gayden in December

carter end of July

Holland in April

Richardson in June

Christian in October

White in February 2010

D Mosley in November 

B Mosley in December

Parker February 2010

McNeal in February 2010

White in December

Curry in June

Davis in December

Slade in June

Smith in February 2010

Clark in October

Fariyike February 2010

Phillips February 2010

So the Chizik crew had 5 commits by this date in 2009 for the 2010 recruiting class and did all their heavy work when the season started and players saw the product on the field first…………

ACTUAL FACTS

Great post, with facts to support a certain perspective. Thanks for sharing. 

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I find those positions to be mutually exclusive, personally. The minute I think recruiting is legitimately a problem, I won't be able to be excited about Harsin.

I am not concerned about recruiting yet because I didn't expect us to have numbers at this point. I will be surprised and concerned if we don't have some OLs by December.

Gotcha, thanks. I guess I'm looking at this as more of a "concern" than a determination of a legitimate problem. I expect  actual problems with any new staff and I have confidence Harsin will fix his. 

To me, there is enough concern about recruiting to make it worth an intelligent discussion, which you and @auburnphan provided in this thread, amongst a few others. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I firmly believe that at least two of the current commitments, if not all three, will end up as 4 stars, and I believe that the staff is being very selective in who they take for a couple of reasons. 1) Harsin doesn't seem keen on taking whomever he can get if plans A, B, and C don't work out, and 2) the transfer portal is our friend. As long as we're able to find a couple of offensive tackles that Friend thinks he can mold into SEC players, I am 100% okay with how recruiting is going, even if we don't see it really start to come to fruition on the high school side until 2023.

And look, we have a QB commit that is rising on the boards, has been committed for a good long while, and is out recruiting for us. And reports out of camp are that the amount of people and effort being put into recruiting is on an entirely different level.

Besides, there's a difference between optimism building in the program and having optimism in this recruiting class. Yes, okay, I will admit that Mikey had a couple of points that are relevant, but the fact that he left out EVERYTHING about the circumstances surrounding Harsin's hire while saying they were the exact same situation suggests that he isn't just here "being realistic on a message board." He's butthurt because everyone is excited about the new coach, and he can't wait to bring us down the way some of us brought him down about Malzahn. I did not see him admit Gus was ready to be fired until months after the fact, and he was doing it as a way to placate those of us who blew up his spin.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Holland in April

One other note here is that Holland didn't receive his fourth star until very late in the process, after ending an incredibly prolific high school career.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:20 PM, au302 said:

I mean I agree that this thread is laughable, but the pandemic excuse is dead and stupid imo. Every school is dealing with the ramifications of the covid restrictions. I'm keeping a level head and I think we are about to get some momentum on the trail, but I also think slight concern (not panic) is warranted, and I realize that we need to pull in a top 15 class to keep up

Okay, I'm sure someone has already taken a crack at this one, but no, the pandemic excuse is not dead and stupid. Yes, every school is dealing with the ramifications of the COVID restrictions, but A) Not everyone has a new coaching staff headed by a guy who's been recruiting the other side of the country his entire career, B) if you have ever been to Auburn and any other college town, you should know that being there is a HUGE part of the selling point for coming to AU, and, most importantly, C) he said 2010 was exactly the same as 2022, and it's not.

Also, with the transfer portal in play, I don't think it's nearly as important to recruit the high school ranks so spectacularly as it was a dozen years ago. I mean, we're bringing in an entire defensive secondary, a behemoth DT to clog the lanes in the 3-4, an edge rusher, a legitimate backup QB, and we're likely to pick up a veteran WR to anchor that unit. And that's in a year we fired our head coach.

19 hours ago, steeleagle said:

He didn't say dampen the optimism of posters. He said dampen the optimism of the coaching staff. 

No, I was talking about the optimism of the fan base, of which many are posters here. I just wasn't talking about optimism regarding this recruiting class. I was actually pointing out that Mikey made the OP as much of a buzz kill as he could while inserting something that makes him seem optimistic, but doubtful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First of all, as others have mentioned, there is no comparison due to many circumstances (Covid related, transfer portal, etc.)

ADAG and Co. hired HCBH and staff for long term success and direction of the football program.   Many of our coaches are introducing themselves (via zoom I might add) to players, whereas Chizik’s staff already had established relationships with players. It will take a few years for this group, but this is a huge recruiting principle: Winning Sells!!!   If these guys start winning consistently, something no other AU coaching staff has ever done, you will see top 5-8 recruiting classes consistently as well.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

First of all, as others have mentioned, there is no comparison due to many circumstances (Covid related, transfer portal, etc.)

ADAG and Co. hired HCBH and staff for long term success and direction of the football program.   Many of our coaches are introducing themselves (via zoom I might add) to players, whereas Chizik’s staff already had established relationships with players. It will take a few years for this group, but this is a huge recruiting principle: Winning Sells!!!   If these guys start winning consistently, something no other AU coaching staff has ever done, you will see top 5-8 recruiting classes consistently as well.  

One caveat: While I'm willing to give Harsin and company a few years to start winning big, I don't think it's going to take that long to be recruiting with the big boys again. If we win 9 games in the regular season this year (which is a tall task, to be sure), I think the only thing that may keep us out of at least the top 15 is the fact that I don't know how many high school/JUCO kids we'll be signing, or how transfers between D-I schools will be treated by recruiting services going forward.

20 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Kitchens committed April 

Gayden in December

carter end of July

Holland in April

Richardson in June

Christian in October

White in February 2010

D Mosley in November 

B Mosley in December

Parker February 2010

McNeal in February 2010

White in December

Curry in June

Davis in December

Slade in June

Smith in February 2010

Clark in October

Fariyike February 2010

Phillips February 2010

ACTUAL FACTS

Pretty much shut down the ridiculous. Can’t wait to see the results this season to drown out all the “next Tennessee “ noise 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

No, I was talking about the optimism of the fan base, of which many are posters here. I just wasn't talking about optimism regarding this recruiting class. I was actually pointing out that Mikey made the OP as much of a buzz kill as he could while inserting something that makes him seem optimistic, but doubtful.

lol. I was trying to provide backup for you when  I thought Au-24 was taking you out of context. Not that you needed it. 

I do agree that OP and anyone that tries to compare a new head coach's recruiting against Harsin as a fist year hire is not a fair assessment. Only Harsin had to deal with a Covid year in recruiting. No other coach had any obstacles like that with on campus restrictions. 

I think most posters feel a new coach should bring instant recruiting cred and get a boost in that first year, which so far we are not getting. 

This is such a strange year, I'm not going to self destruct until I see how our numbers look closer to the early signing date, and we have seen a little of our on the field progress.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, McLoofus said:

Several of those 2010 kids ended up getting arrested for violent crimes or getting kicked off the team for other reasons. Chad Slade, Corey Lemonier and Cam Newton- who only came to Auburn because Kenny Rogers screwed it up for MSU- were the only legit NFL players in that class.

Doesn't really matter where this class is ranked. What matters is what we think about this class 3-4 (or 11) years from now. We get 10 serious contributors out of this class and it's easily better than that 2010 class was.

Cam Newton was never going to MSU when he got the AU offer. It was over for MSU when AU offered him. Per Cam himself. 

Comparing the 2010 signing class to the upcoming 2022 class is classic Mikey. Dumb as hell. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I mean it is very true that our current class of commits is lacking and we are behind a lot of other schools. 

If anyone would like to bet $100 dollars that Auburn will be ranked behind Tenn, Vandy, and/or South Caroline come Feb pls DM me!! 😁

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

lol. I was trying to provide backup for you when  I thought Au-24 was taking you out of context. Not that you needed it. 

I do agree that OP and anyone that tries to compare a new head coach's recruiting against Harsin as a fist year hire is not a fair assessment. Only Harsin had to deal with a Covid year in recruiting. No other coach had any obstacles like that with on campus restrictions. 

I think most posters feel a new coach should bring instant recruiting cred and get a boost in that first year, which so far we are not getting. 

This is such a strange year, I'm not going to self destruct until I see how our numbers look closer to the early signing date, and we have seen a little of our on the field progress.

In before Mikey or 24 come back with Tennessee, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt have to go through the same things. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

(I appreciate the thought, even if the execution was a little short, so no worries.)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I mean it is very true that our current class of commits is lacking and we are behind a lot of other schools. 

If anyone would like to bet $100 dollars that Auburn will be ranked behind Tenn, Vandy, and/or South Caroline come Feb pls DM me!! 😁

Wait, are you saying you'll take the side of those three being ranked ahead of Auburn? :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

In before Mikey or 24 come back with Tennessee, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt have to go through the same things. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

(I appreciate the thought, even if the execution was a little short, so no worries.)

Gus made Mikey look like a fool and Harsin is going to continue that trend. Fun times ahead. 

:wedance:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1