Would you commit to Auburn right now?

AUght2win

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I lived in Mag 1969-1970. For the kids of today we has a very small room with two twin beds two desks and small bureau each and a small close each. We shared a common bathroom on each Floor wing There was no room for modesty in the shower as it was not separate shower stalls. We had a common area for the whole dorm that had some seating around a single TV on a stand and as I remember some ping pong tables.  Plus a cafeteria. We were happy we were not next door in Bullard Hall which was same setup but without air conditioning.

I was glad to move out next year but I actually met a lot of people and had a good time there. I also learned a few things about race relations in Alabama as I had never been in Alabama until I showed up at Auburn.  We had a bulletin board where people put up notes, books for sale, need players for intramural teams, etc. I answered one where they we looking for WIST players I decided to go to meeting room. When I walked in I was the only white person in the room apparently in Alabama the Black community played WIST whereas the White community played Bridge, or Hearts or Rook with a few exceptions. I joined the group and one day as I was leaving I mentioned I was going over to the Pool to go swimming and I found out that only a couple of my friends could swim as in the towns they grew up in the pools were white only. I had been a Lifeguard in HS and taught swimming classes. I ended up teaching a number of my friends how to swim.

Thanks for sharing...that brought back some memories.

Yeah, I lived on the short hall, facing the front/back and had maybe 1/3 of the kids most halls had (F Hall).   Also trekked to the top floor, so even less wanted to go up there.   About half our hall was ROTC and almost to a man, we all agreed to return the next year as we formed close friendships.  Unfortunately, my 3rd yr the university informed us the building was condemned and we had to move.   I think I told them, it has been in that condition for years, why condemn it now?   I knew there was mold in the basement where the steam was generated, we all did - the paint had been peeling off the walls for years....So, 5 of us rented a house and the end of an era was complete.  I recall the T Shirts the RAs sold had a prisoner holding a ball and chain that said, "Mag Dorm: it's not a dorm, it's a way of life."  The sandwich shop in the west side basement was primo.  

Learning to live in close quarters like that was a great experience for us all.   Kids today could learn a lot from those kind of experiences. 

Edited by Beaker

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

One more thing here on recruiting. Trend has been that kids really haven't been pulling the trigger in June. Some of it was they wanted to see multiple schools before but some has been to see how schools are handling the new NIL. I do think AU has been out front on the NIL and that won't be a problem moving forward. Lots of things going on with recruiting that the casual fans don't really know. 

If this trend is still going on in October, then lets start to panic. I think we will have maybe 9 new kids commit before the first snap. 

Finally...first reasonable positive thing I've head in weeks.  Thanks for the insight and look forward to more updates!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

One more thing here on recruiting. Trend has been that kids really haven't been pulling the trigger in June. Some of it was they wanted to see multiple schools before but some has been to see how schools are handling the new NIL. I do think AU has been out front on the NIL and that won't be a problem moving forward. Lots of things going on with recruiting that the casual fans don't really know. 

If this trend is still going on in October, then lets start to panic. I think we will have maybe 9 new kids commit before the first snap. 

How are we doing with the bigger name prospects with a long offer list? That's my real concern.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:08 PM, Gowebb11 said:

None of those teams have been to 2 Nattys the past 10 years, or beaten Bama 4 of the last 11. Derek Brown and Marlon Davidson and Kerryon Johnson had huge national profiles. Those are all very recent selling points. We just haven’t had a staff that could capitalize on them. Hopefully the new staff will be better. 

Other than high school OL talent, recruiting hasn't been our issue over the past decade.  We have recruited well enough to win and win big. 

Rankings since 2005 - #19

2006 - #11

2007 - #9

2008 - #21

2009 - #23

2010 - #6

2011 - #5

2012 - #11

2013 - #10

2014 - #6

2015 - #8

2016 - #9

2017 - #9

2018 - #12

2019 - #11

2020 - #7

2021 - #19

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just want to say one thing here about recruiting. Don't get caught up in the hype that these pay sites like Rivals and 247 are saying, the negative on the recruiting. These sites have been cut off by Harsin and it's become sour grapes. Just like the coaching search, recruiting isn't in the tanks. It's 10x more organized and run like a well oiled business now. Like the other schools we are up against. This will spill over to on and off field results here very shortly. I'd be very surprised if it didn't. 

Sure Harsin and staff are behind on this class. We all knew they would be. Gus and his band of idiots left us in a bad place. OL, DL. Sure it going to be an uphill battle this year. But I'm told we are about to see some kids pull the trigger. So be patient. 

With all due respect, there are no sour grapes taken into account when calculating classes based on numbers.  It is what it is.  If Harsin recruits the next 10 years at the level we recruited the past 10, then we will likely win a lot of games.  Every coach since Pat Dye has had success for a period of time as the HC at Auburn.  By the way, if many of our more influential boosters had their way, it is the so called "band of idiots" that would be currently running the show.  I wouldn't call them idiots at all.  Their plan simply didn't come to fruition.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 7:11 PM, AUght2win said:

You really must be new to the Auburn fanbase. Our uniforms are iconic and the vast majority doesn't want them to change. It's rare these days to see a brand maintain itself without giving into gimmicks. Auburn has been able to do that. 

If you want an alternate, do it during the spring game. I'm all for that. But during the season, unless it's an orange throwback, no thanks. 

Having an alternate is not changing the uniform.  It is simply wearing a different shirt or pair of pants for a game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

With all due respect, there are no sour grapes taken into account when calculating classes based on numbers.  It is what it is.  If Harsin recruits the next 10 years at the level we recruited the past 10, then we will likely win a lot of games.  Every coach since Pat Dye has had success for a period of time as the HC at Auburn.  By the way, if many of our more influential boosters had their way, it is the so called "band of idiots" that would be currently running the show.  I wouldn't call them idiots at all.  Their plan simply didn't come to fruition.

What does this have to do with what I posted? I'm talking about recruiting right now. It's sour grapes. 

The last 10 years of recruiting was good enough to get Gus fired. It wasn't great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Other than high school OL talent, recruiting hasn't been our issue over the past decade.  We have recruited well enough to win and win big. 

2006 - #11

2007 - #9

2008 - #21

2009 - #23

2010 - #6

2011 - #5

2012 - #11

2013 - #10

2014 - #6

2015 - #8

2016 - #9

2017 - #9

2018 - #12

2019 - #11

2020 - #7

2021 - #19

You just wasted a lot of time addressing a point I wasn’t making. The OPs question is would you commit to AU right now. My answer is selling points we have to offer. But thanks for a 15 year recruiting recap. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

2006 - #11

2007 - #9

2008 - #21

2009 - #23

2010 - #6

2011 - #5

2012 - #11

2013 - #10

2014 - #6

2015 - #8

2016 - #9

2017 - #9

2018 - #12

2019 - #11

2020 - #7

2021 - #19

Gus left so many gaps year after year these rankings are flawed. Load up on WR's one year. Load up on RB's the next. Load up on guards the next year(Couldn't land any tackles). There was no plan on managing a roster.  It was a fly by the seat of your pants type recruiting. Gus had no plan. 

Tell me one year that there wasn't a glaring weakness on a Gus coached team. 

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

WTH??

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

You just wasted a lot of time addressing a point I wasn’t making. 😂😂😂

I'm afraid it's a feature and not a bug.

• Haha 3

What does this have to do with what I posted? I'm talking about recruiting right now. It's sour grapes. 

The last 10 years of recruiting was good enough to get Gus fired. It wasn't great. 

The point I was making is that the sites you  mention aren't hyping as much as they are reporting.  Any Auburn coach will be questioned when people grow concerned about anything impacting the program, especially recruiting.  Do you think that stories about Gus struggling to recruit OL out of high school actually helped?  No, but they were relevant and people had a right to be concerned about it.

This isn't about Gus but, to be clear, OL issues aside, recruiting didn't get him fired. There were many other issues that led to the inconsistencies on the field that were at the core of that decision.  I would be surprised if we see a coach last much over 7 to 10 years at any SEC program.  It takes too much energy and the vast majority of people will burn out after a certain period of time.

Gus left so many gaps year after year these rankings are flawed. Load up on WR's one year. Load up on RB's the next. Load up on guards the next year(Couldn't land any tackles). There was no plan on managing a roster.  It was a fly by the seat of your pants type recruiting. Gus had no plan. 

Tell me one year that there wasn't a glaring weakness on a Gus coached team. 

We didn't lose many games due to glaring talent gaps compared to the opponent.  That is the point.  That is part of why I believe that Harsin will do well given time.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We didn't lose many games due to glaring talent gaps compared to the opponent.  That is the point.  That is part of why I believe that Harsin will do well given time.

We lost plenty of games to our biggest rivals due to talent and coaching gaps. On offense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We lost plenty of games to our biggest rivals due to talent and coaching gaps. On offense. 

Not one single offensive player Gus signed as a HC that was drafted in the first round. Wild to think about.

Posted this in another thread but a good bit of it bears repeating here. Patience young grasshopper’s, and a lot of it.

Transfers have basically become a free agency type of situation where you can immediately add a player for a number of positions to help give you immediate depth at the very least and in some cases you can get an impact player. Remember that while transfers are important they do not count in recruiting rankings. Another big factor is that there is now a December signing period where there wasn’t in 2010. In 2010 you could have a good season to help you generate enough buzz to make somewhat of an impact on your final recruiting class in February. Now that we have a December signing. Guys are committed earlier and shutting things down with approximately 80% of kids committed by early signing day. Even though this cycle is slower so far in terms of commitments nationwide I do still think a heavy majority of commitments will be made by the December signing period and signed in the early period. That doesn’t leave much room or time to sway many prospects, especially quality prospects for the class Who may remain. As of now the game plan by our staff is to do kind of like what Florida State is doing in that the first full recruiting cycle with a new staff, being this year we are going to try to sign about 15 to 18 quality kids from high school and Juco and try to fill any gaps via the transfer market all the while working on those relationships for 2023 and 2024 to have better classes from a high school ranks going forward.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Posted this in another thread but a good bit of it bears repeating here. Patience young grasshopper’s, and a lot of it.

Transfers have basically become a free agency type of situation where you can immediately add a player for a number of positions to help give you immediate depth at the very least and in some cases you can get an impact player. Remember that while transfers are important they do not count in recruiting rankings. Another big factor is that there is now a December signing period where there wasn’t in 2010. In 2010 you could have a good season to help you generate enough buzz to make somewhat of an impact on your final recruiting class in February. Now that we have a December signing. Guys are committed earlier and shutting things down with approximately 80% of kids committed by early signing day. Even though this cycle is slower so far in terms of commitments nationwide I do still think a heavy majority of commitments will be made by the December signing period and signed in the early period. That doesn’t leave much room or time to sway many prospects, especially quality prospects for the class Who may remain. As of now the game plan by our staff is to do kind of like what Florida State is doing in that the first full recruiting cycle with a new staff, being this year we are going to try to sign about 15 to 18 quality kids from high school and Juco and try to fill any gaps via the transfer market all the while working on those relationships for 2023 and 2024 to have better classes from a high school ranks going forward.

That sounds all to familiar

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

IMO, it wasn’t Gus’s recruiting that got him fired. To me it was what he accomplished with the offensive side of the ball ( especially the last 5 years.

45 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

IMO, it wasn’t Gus’s recruiting that got him fired. To me it was what he accomplished with the offensive side of the ball ( especially the last 5 years.

Gus' recruiting was a hollow dream. We never addressed team needs or had any real plans for the next year.  Everything was so disorganized

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gus' recruiting was a hollow dream. We never addressed team needs or had any real plans for the next year.  Everything was so disorganized

I think all the extra analysts in recruiting will correct that for CBH and company.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just want to say one thing here about recruiting. Don't get caught up in the hype that these pay sites like Rivals and 247 are saying, the negative on the recruiting. These sites have been cut off by Harsin and it's become sour grapes.

I don't get the sour grapes statement. If kids commit, they get added. If nobody commits to AU, we don't get any additions. The sites don't have flexibility on that. Right now they are all showing us dead last in the SEC and it's not even close.

It's not time to panic but anybody who isn't concerned either isn't paying attention or doesn't care.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't get the sour grapes statement. If kids commit, they get added. If nobody commits to AU, we don't get any additions. The sites don't have flexibility on that. Right now they are all showing us dead last in the SEC and it's not even close.

It's not time to panic but anybody who isn't concerned either isn't paying attention or doesn't care.

Really don’t know how you don’t get this, the pay sites aren’t getting insight from harsin’s staff, they can’t give good intel to people that are paying for their services other than their recruiting people who only have the recruits opinions or other staffs to go on. The sites get a bad rep if people are paying for it and aren’t getting legit insider info. AU, for example is a top 5 247 site.  I mean, I really can’t fathom your continued attempts to disparage this new staff. 

Edited by Maverick.AU

8 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Really don’t know how you don’t get this, the pay sites aren’t getting insight from harsin’s staff, they can’t give good intel to people that are paying for their services other than their recruiting people who only have the recruits opinions or other staffs to go on. The sites get a bad rep if people are paying for it and aren’t getting legit insider info. AU, for example is a top 5 247 site.  I mean, I really can’t fathom your continued attempts to disparage this new staff. 

We are last in the recruiting rankings. That's not something those sites can manipulate. Like it or not,  all they can do with their listings is post who commits.   How can sour grapes impact their listings?                                                        

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We are last in the recruiting rankings. That's not something those sites can manipulate. Like it or not,  all they can do with their listings is post who commits.   How can sour grapes impact their listings?                                                        

Dude, it’s a business, they make money off subscriptions of people wanting to get the scoop. That’s a big deal to the journalists working for them too for those particular fanbase’s. If AU people, which is a top 5 fanbase on their paid boards see that there is absolutely no reason to pay for their site if they can’t offer legit intel, that hurts them. Crazy how we should be concerned/worried about a coach that has yet to coach his first game at AU, yet you defended 8 win year after 8 win year until you were blue in the face? You tried to say “I’ll support whoever auburn’s coach is”. I have yet to see it

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Love 1