OT Targets

Auhud08

Hey i see weve got some momentum on the trail this morning. Was looking at where we stand with a few OL and who we might not be recruiting hard. 

Was wondering if there was any chance we would call some of these kids and try to get them to come see us in the fall? Might be too late, but some of these guys dont have a stout top 5-10 and dont seem to lean one way or the other. 

3* (.87) Nick Williams 6-5 300 OT (N. Augusta, SC)

4* (.89) Bryson Hurst 6-6 320 OT (Gautier, MS) (CB to MSST)

4* (.90) George Fitzpatrick 6-6 285 OT (Cherry Creek, CO) (offers from tOSU & OK)

4* (.95) Elijah Pritchett 6-6 280 OT (Columbus, GA) (Offers from Bama, UGA, low bama lean)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good thread. This is an area of big concern imo. I asked Zeek about it in the recruiting thread yesterday. We have obviously missed on Woody, Sapp, Quick. Pritchett doesn't seem interested. Harris and Hood seem to be the top two targets, and both will be extremely difficult pulls. Since we need 3+ tackles, that concerns me. Maybe we can get back in it for Pritchett. I'm sure some of the guys you listed are on the radar, and I'm sure there's some guys we haven't heard much about as well as some new evals that are happening. We need quality players and numbers 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

Good thread. This is an area of big concern imo. I asked Zeek about it in the recruiting thread yesterday. We have obviously missed on Woody, Sapp, Quick. Pritchett doesn't seem interested. Harris and Hood seem to be the top two targets, and both will be extremely difficult pulls. Since we need 3+ tackles, that concerns me. Maybe we can get back in it for Pritchett. I'm sure some of the guys you listed are on the radar, and I'm sure there's some guys we haven't heard much about as well as some new evals that are happening. We need quality players and numbers 

Thats my thought as well. Pritchett is weird- just a couple of months ago he was looking at auburn and seemed to be leaning our way

20 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Thats my thought as well. Pritchett is weird- just a couple of months ago he was looking at auburn and seemed to be leaning our way

Yep it was strange. I would really love to get him, but he seemed to completely drop us out the blue. I'm hoping since Bedell locked down Riley-Ducker and we are set at TE this cycle that maybe he can help out Friend more with OT recruiting. Use his national connections. There was a couple of kids from Wisconsin that we offered at one point, but I haven't heard much about them. Just been quiet in general at the position

It's really quiet right now. Bobo and Harris are the only two I feel any good about.

May rely on transfers this cycle and aim to land bigger fish in 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Probably wasn’t going to happen anyway but the LSU OT landed at UK

I don't think Harsin is interested in off-field problems in this first year especially. Dude is committed to building a very specific type of culture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very real question and I know some people will flame on this idea, but...

this staff is way behind on relationships with all the top OL or OT recruits...and they could not help that.   The only couple of guys that should have relations built with 2022 OL should be W Friend and M Bobo (from their time recruiting last yr).   Ok, this is not a great cycle for Auburn and OL recruits for many reasons...

So we press 2023 like nobody's biz.   Out recruit and out hustle everyone.  Make those kids love us more than their own grandmother.   And start on a couple of 2024 kids.

For 2022, keep recruiting some, but just those couple we can maybe land.   Use the remaining resources to  target those kids that might be overwhelmed with an SEC offer:  mid majors or kids thinking lesser Power 5 Programs is their best shot:  You know - a kid thinking Illinois is the best he can do or Indiana or Pitt or Boston College or Syracuse or Rice or Miami (Ohio)....you get my point.   Auburn picked up a few OL transfers from these programs recently and those kids may be our best bet.  I would think we could poach a couple of blue collar, Harsin type kids looking to go Western Mich, but would consider being part of the foundation of Harsin's regime.

So we get one SEC OT and 2 that were going to go to a Central Mich type program....there are only so many minutes and resources we can throw at kids and if we aren't gonna get them, refocus on the 2023 kids and poach a kid that could maybe grow into a Harsin kinda player.

I know we all want the SEC capable recruit, but holding out for those few kids is what got Gus behind the 8 ball, every year for like 8 years....

My other good idea is to have McPhearson decommit.   And  then recommit to us after the next big recruiting weekend so another 4 targets commit to us in the next 48 hrs.   You know those kids were all following McPhearson closely.  It's called the "McPhearson Effect"  to  those close insiders, within the inner circles of recruiting.    I hear there is some chatter already, so be ready for it.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Very real question and I know some people will flame on this idea, but...

this staff is way behind on relationships with all the top OL or OT recruits...and they could not help that.   The only couple of guys that should have relations built with 2022 OL should be W Friend and M Bobo (from their time recruiting last yr).   Ok, this is not a great cycle for Auburn and OL recruits for many reasons...

So we press 2023 like nobody's biz.   Out recruit and out hustle everyone.  Make those kids love us more than their own grandmother.   And start on a couple of 2024 kids.

For 2022, keep recruiting some, but just those couple we can maybe land.   Use the remaining resources to  target those kids that might be overwhelmed with an SEC offer:  mid majors or kids thinking lesser Power 5 Programs is their best shot:  You know - a kid thinking Illinois is the best he can do or Indiana or Pitt or Boston College or Syracuse or Rice or Miami (Ohio)....you get my point.   Auburn picked up a few OL transfers from these programs recently and those kids may be our best bet.  I would think we could poach a couple of blue collar, Harsin type kids looking to go Western Mich, but would consider being part of the foundation of Harsin's regime.

So we get one SEC OT and 2 that were going to go to a Central Mich type program....there are only so many minutes and resources we can throw at kids and if we aren't gonna get them, refocus on the 2023 kids and poach a kid that could maybe grow into a Harsin kinda player.

I know we all want the SEC capable recruit, but holding out for those few kids is what got Gus behind the 8 ball, every year for like 8 years....

My other good idea is to have McPhearson decommit.   And  then recommit to us after the next big recruiting weekend so another 4 targets commit to us in the next 48 hrs.   You know those kids were all following McPhearson closely.  It's called the "McPhearson Effect"  to  those close insiders, within the inner circles of recruiting.    I hear there is some chatter already, so be ready for it.

Your 'effect' won't work at all if you don't at least spell his name right. It's McPherson. :slapfh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Your 'effect' won't work at all if you don't at least spell his name right. It's McPherson. :slapfh:

Geez Louise....did he decommit yet?   We might lose him and the OTs.  I will get the 'karma' all straight and let him know when it's set up. 

Good catch.    I could have sworn I saw it spelled the other way.   I wonder if his brother spelled it with an 'a' while at UF.   Nah, probably not.  I will get this all lined up for him.   

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

Geez Louise....did he decommit yet?   We might lose him and the OTs.  I will get the 'karma' all straight and let him know when it's set up. 

Good catch.    I could have sworn I saw it spelled the other way.   I wonder if his brother spelled it with an 'a' while at UF.   Nah, probably not.  I will get this all lined up for him.   

Do it ASAP.............................................................................

• Like 1

Why are we still having trouble getting offensive linemen?  In 2019, while at utk, Will Friend signed two top ten, five star, offensive tackles. The rest of the top ten players that landed at SEC schools went to uat (3), A&M, and Miss St (really). For good measure Friend also signed three more OL that year. 

I’ve read that Friend maintained strong relationships with players yet to commit in this recruiting cycle (i.e. Jacob Hood). However, to date, we can’t get any OL to commit to AU.  Did top-10, five star linemen commit to Tennessee based on the football program’s potential, championship history, or was Friend the beneficiary of Pruitt et al getting the players to sign with help from McDonalds?  (Disclaimer: Friend is one of my favorite additions to the AU coaching staff. I’m not accusing him of anything to do with utk’s improprieties) 

CBH can land as many players that fit his mold as possible, but we will not succeed on the field without a commitment to establishing a talented and deep offensive line. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

Why are we still having trouble getting offensive linemen?  In 2019, while at utk, Will Friend signed two top ten, five star, offensive tackles. The rest of the top ten players that landed at SEC schools went to uat (3), A&M, and Miss St (really). For good measure Friend also signed three more OL that year. 

I’ve read that Friend maintained strong relationships with players yet to commit in this recruiting cycle (i.e. Jacob Hood). However, to date, we can’t get any OL to commit to AU.  Did top-10, five star linemen commit to Tennessee based on the football program’s potential, championship history, or was Friend the beneficiary of Pruitt et al getting the players to sign with help from McDonalds?  (Disclaimer: Friend is one of my favorite additions to the AU coaching staff. I’m not accusing him of anything to do with utk’s improprieties) 

CBH can land as many players that fit his mold as possible, but we will not succeed on the field without a commitment to establishing a talented and deep offensive line. 

Just to 'dog-pile' here, I was kind of counting on some of those relationships he had with kids in the south to carry over as he moved to Auburn.  I agree, those kids could not have been committing to UT based on a belief they were about to win a bunch of games or be playing in ATL soon. 

All I hear is 'relationships' drive recruiting... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Just to 'dog-pile' here, I was kind of counting on some of those relationships he had with kids in the south to carry over as he moved to Auburn.  I agree, those kids could not have been committing to UT based on a belief they were about to win a bunch of games or be playing in ATL soon. 

All I hear is 'relationships' drive recruiting... 

Let’s let “the gravitationally challenged lady “ sing before we give up.

• Haha 1

Just now, toddc said:

Let’s let “the gravitationally challenged lady “ sing before we give up.

I concur....just wanting some 'pop'  or some exciting OL  news this month.    Friend has tremendous credentials and should be a huge winner for Auburn on the recruiting trail.

I guess I will settle for an RC cola instead.   

I thought for sure OL recruiting would take off with the new offense coming in along with Friend and his reputation as a great OL recruiter. I'm trying to stay patient but man is it hard to do when we have struggled at this one position for so long. You'd think at this point 5 star tackles would be recruiting us so they can come in and start immediately for an SEC team. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I thought for sure OL recruiting would take off with the new offense coming in along with Friend and his reputation as a great OL recruiter. I'm trying to stay patient but man is it hard to do when we have struggled at this one position for so long. You'd think at this point 5 star tackles would be recruiting us so they can come in and start immediately for an SEC team. 

5 star tackles already have whatever SEC team they care to choose. The problem is getting them to a team that is not known (in recent past) for getting them prepared to move on to next level. They tend to go to the higher percentages. Makes sense that they do at this point. I do think we should be able to get decent 3-4 stars though.

• Like 1

The thing that worries me most is the lack of targets at this position. Bobo, Hood, and Harris seem like the only 3 we are talking to. If we whiff on Harris and Hood, which I hate to admit seems likely, where do we turn? I believe we wanted to bring in 5 guys for o-line, with 3 being tackles. Bobo projects as an interior. With that being said, we have to be talking to more kids behind the scenes. There's no way these 3 can be the only priority targets at this point, even if they are the only ones the sites are mentioning. Harsin and co know we have a numbers issue with Smith and Zierer being the only two true tackles on next years roster, so they have to be scrambling behind the scenes to fix it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

5 star tackles already have whatever SEC team they care to choose. The problem is getting them to a team that is not known (in recent past) for getting them prepared to move on to next level. They tend to go to the higher percentages. Makes sense that they do at this point. I do think we should be able to get decent 3-4 stars though.

Yeah they can go anywhere but what other school can say we have only signed one player at your position for the last 5 years??? Not sure that is a great selling point though now that i say it out load. :(

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Yeah they can go anywhere but what other school can say we have only signed one player at your position for the last 5 years??? Not sure that is a great selling point though now that i say it out load. :(

I think it’s the reason the top continues to choose mostly the same schools. It’s a well beaten path that is easy to see the end that is painted.

17 minutes ago, gravejd said:

True, very true, but it is your coach and development that really gets you to the league, not the stadium in which you play.    I know a program is more than the stadium, but that has to be what they are selling or countering with as they recruit.   Lots of well used, negative recruiting to overcome for this staff.   

I know this is impossible to know, but I wonder how recruiting (OL recruiting) would be going if ol' Gus was still at Auburn.  

Edited by Beaker

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

True, very true, but it is your coach and development that really gets you to the league, not the stadium in which you play.    I know a program is more than the stadium, but that has to be what they are selling or countering with as they recruit.   Lots of well used, negative recruiting to overcome for this staff.   

I know this is impossible to know, but I wonder how recruiting (OL recruiting) would be going if ol' Gus was still at Auburn.  

Probably be signing 15 OTs to get us through the next decade.

• Haha 1

Sitting 74th nationally with significant interest from recruits at most needed positions is very different than 74th with all these targets yawning at us. Not good.

• Thanks 1

I have a question or 2 about transfer portal recruits.  We have 9 players gained in the transfer portal, more than any team in the SEC.  Does this number take away from the 25 total we have that would leave us with 16 slots left for the 2022 class total.  If you take away the 5 commitments we have, this leaves us with 11 available slots to fill.

One other question....with the players we lost in the transfer portal, does this open up a potential additional slot for each one? (example...let's say we lost 8 players in the transfer portal, does this open up 8 additional slots we can fill to make up for these? Not sure how this all works, but would appreciate some insight into this.

Thanks & WDE Doc

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I have a question or 2 about transfer portal recruits.  We have 9 players gained in the transfer portal, more than any team in the SEC.  Does this number take away from the 25 total we have that would leave us with 16 slots left for the 2022 class total.  If you take away the 5 commitments we have, this leaves us with 11 available slots to fill.

One other question....with the players we lost in the transfer portal, does this open up a potential additional slot for each one? (example...let's say we lost 8 players in the transfer portal, does this open up 8 additional slots we can fill to make up for these? Not sure how this all works, but would appreciate some insight into this.

Thanks & WDE Doc

1 ) Six of those were used to finish out the class of '21. If the three left count forward, then we will have 22 slots left for next year's class. (25-3=22)

2)That's not how it works. We could lose half the team to the transfer portal and our annual limit would still be 25.

• Like 1