TBT: Auburn Alumni Team

toddc

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, toddc said:

Nice team

• Like 1

They got crushed last season from what i remember. Hopefully this year goes better. Love having a team of old AU players competing though!

This seems like it could be a fun group to watch, I'll be tuning in for sure.

• Love 1

I wouldn't really hold last year against them because I believe Horace, Bryce, and Murray were the only AU guys surrounded by a bunch of nobody's with some high school coach. This year they got a full AU squad and Frankie Sullivan coaching. Question is will they let the final four guys like J'von, Bryce, Malik, and Danjel get most of the playing time or will they let a bunch of the older guys on the roster who played at AU during the dark days get a lot of PT. Nothing against those guys, but I think they gotta let the final four guys be the main focus if they want a chance for a run 

Why can't we play well in these things? Lol  Lineup seems stout.  Just don't get it.  Down 9 to the 12th seed early

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Why can't we play well in these things? Lol  Lineup seems stout.  Just don't get it.  Down 9 to the 12th seed early

I'm surprised by how bad we are but at the same time I'm not. Problem is we got some great role players from our AU teams trying to play major roles on this one (Malik, Purifoy). Then, a bunch of old dudes not that great like Bowers, Lang, Smith, even Canty. They really need someone like a Samir Doughty. Wonder if they asked Wiley

Prolly would be a good idea to actually practice a bit longer than they’ve done. Pretty clear the guys basically show up and play. I get it, it’s not like they can invest too much time and energy in to this thing as real world obligations now apply to them, but if they want the continued support of the AU fanbase the guys that run this squad should get a better grip on things. Other teams apparently do practice and prepare more for this deal. Really awesome to see these names again though. I think I heard them say Josh Dollard is 34 now. Wow!

Going to be very difficult for me to see Auburn fans sponsoring this team again lol.  Has looked like pure fan service and an unrealized dream twice. I will say, this has made me realize how many little things Pearl does to reign in bad tendencies, bc these guys are playing the most bastardized version of his 4 out, 1 in iso heavy offense, and there’s somehow WAYYY less movement than there’d be here. Way more bad shots. 

I say all that to say, s/o Bruce for the little things him and the staff does to make sure it doesn’t look like THIS

• Like 1

We as AU fans should take nothing away from this besides how great Bruce and co is. Watching this really makes you realize how well he not only coaches but also how well he builds a roster to fit the pieces together. You could tell that today. If they try this again they really need Jared Harper and probably one of the AU assistants to coach. I'm sure that probably wouldn't be possible though because of summer practices, recruiting, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

He was still recovering from an injury 

Mark Murphy talked to Bryce and said he will have ankle surgery. It seems it's a nagging injury that he can't recover from without surgery....

Just now, steeleagle said:

Mark Murphy talked to Bryce and said he will have ankle surgery. It seems it's a nagging injury that he can't recover from without surgery....

Dang, that sucks. I hadn't heard that part.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Dang, that sucks. I hadn't heard that part.

I know. It must be something he can't shake. I remember going over to see him last year when his team was playing in Atlanta. I got there only to find out he was out with an ankle injury way back then too.

Ok I think we go all in and do it right. Let Steven Pearl coach it, proper practice/game planning, AU resources, bring the right pieces in and roll. I love seeing these former players and wanna jump onboard but this one and done stuff gotta stop. This is such a cool idea, i’m really digging the whole concept. 

Just want to say i love the Elam ending or whatever they are calling it. It makes the end of the game soo much better than the free throw fest we see in league games.