Harsin strikes again

aubiefifty

Bryan Harsin, the Auburn coach Bandit from Boise, strikes again

Auburn football coach Bryan Harsin speaks to the media outside Cafe Florentine where AMBUSH was held on Tuesday, May 11, 2021. (Photo by Giana Han)

Bryan Harsin is a thief from Idaho.

Let me ask everyone a serious question: does this cowboy — this Bandit from Boise — have no moral code? Is nothing sacred anymore? Can’t anything be done to stop this man of mischief?

Nope.

And it’s glorious.

And I’m really starting to like this guy.

Everyone loves a good black-hat villain in the SEC, and Harsin is wearing it today. On Thursday, Auburn’s football coach did something many longtime fans of the league would have once considered unthinkable. Harsin straight up stole a former five-star recruit off the roster of the rival Georgia Bulldogs.

I’m guessing Pat Dye would approve.

Harsin walked into the Bulldogs’ receiver room this week, and left with a former freshman All-American. Demetris Robertson wore black and red in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry last season, but this fall he’ll be dressed out in burnt orange and navy blue. He’s the third transfer this offseason to go from an SEC school to Auburn, but the others were from Vanderbilt and LSU.

It feels different when it’s a chief rival, right? Not dirtier, because it’s all within the rules, but maybe somehow more intimate. This isn’t just business. This is personal.

This is the new world of college football. Does it matter which sideline of the Iron Bowl you’re standing on as long as you’re playing in the game? Maybe not in a few years.

Robertson was once the top-rated high school receiver in the country and a freshman All-American for Cal. Now he’s just looking for a way to improve his NFL draft stock before his collegiate eligibility expires, and the best option, apparently, was the nuclear one.

Push the red button to see Scott Cochran’s head explode.

Over the past week or so, Auburn’s poker-faced Harsin has finally started to show some of his playing cards, and there’s some substance to go along with all the coach-speak. Still not sure what to expect from the Tigers under athletic director Allen Greene’s big bold replacement for Gus Malzahn, but at least now we know Harsin has the required skills needed to steal from an SEC neighbor.

Hey, anything to help Bo Nix sell sweet tea.

They’re all thieves, folks, so let’s not kid ourselves. The game now is just about knowing what to take. Georgia recently added a former five-star receiver from LSU, Arik Gilbert of Marietta, Georgia. Was Robertson addition by subtraction for Georgia, or will losing him to Auburn come back to haunt Smart and his staff like quarterback Justin Fields?

Yeah, Smart will never live that one down.

It’s not just about recruiting high school players anymore. From now on, coaches also will be measured and judged by their ability to steal transfers and retain talent. All things considered, Harsin is having a good summer after being handicapped by the NCAA’s extended recruiting moratorium due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to Robertson’s commitment, Harsin also landed a huge special teams recruit this week, class of 2022 kicker Alex McPherson.

Again, anything to see Scott Cochran’s face catch on fire. Metaphorically, of course.

Maybe Auburn isn’t going to be so mediocre this season after all. Auburn fans seem willing to give greenhorn Harsin a pass for the 2021 season — I don’t believe it — but it appears like he has different plans. Don’t chisel Alabama’s name on the SEC West division trophy just yet. Harsin might steal that, too, if Alabama coach Nick Saban isn’t careful.

Oh, and lock up that diamond-crusted roster down in Tuscaloosa while y’all are at it. There’s a burglar on the prowl this summer. Auburn needed a veteran receiver for Nix going into fall camp, so Harsin looked around and took one from Georgia like he was pulling a gold chain right off Kirby Smart’s neck.

How is Auburn possibly supposed to compete with Georgia in 2021? Raid the ‘Dawg house, of course.

Robertson, while extremely gifted, apparently didn’t impress Smart enough in practice over the last three years to earn more chances on the field. The Savannah, Georgia, native then allegedly did something regrettable in February when he allegedly removed a parking boot from his car on campus. Who among us, right?

Athens, Georgia, and its silly parking rules … Has anyone ever paid for a single parking ticket in the entire history of Alabama? The answer is heck no.

Park wherever you want in Auburn, Demetris. In fact, the parking authority might even throw in an endorsement deal if you score a touchdown against Georgia.

• Like 1

omg i love this. i assume he literally went to GA campus. our coach is fearless..................

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I'm liking Harsin's bandit image. Very entertaining article.

Usually his articles are at AU’s expense, but not this time.

• Like 1

Goodman is literally the worst sports journalist I've ever come across. What a weird guy, and awful writer. "Bandit from Boise" is par for his lame-ass course. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Harsin strikes again
17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good ! I am sick of this leave it to beaver family moniker. I like being villains . If we are going to be a family , I prefer the corleone type 

I guess that’s why you don’t play fair “Mr. Corleone”.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good ! I am sick of this leave it to beaver family moniker. I like being villains . If we are going to be a family , I prefer the corleone type 

Who will be our Luca Brasi ?

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Usually his articles are at AU’s expense, but not this time.

Agreed. Usually this writer attacks us, as I believe he bleeds crimson and white. But got to give it to him when its pretty good like this article. It even had a little 'change of pace' in how he wrote it which was cool. 

And did I read it right, that's it true Harsin walked into the GA WR room? I am shocked that Kirby would have allowed this...

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Why tf are we villains? Like, if we earn that moniker somehow, fine. But a hack journalist literally made this up out of thin air. There isn't even a narrative to support it.

It tells you a lot about how bad Goodman is at his job. He thinks Auburn getting a UGA transfer is a daring, bandit-like new concept. He thinks the same about us getting other interconference guys.

I wonder if he's heard of Nick Marshall? Tray Matthews? Corey Grant? Kenny Irons? Cam Newton?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Not a shot at you, DAG, btw. I just think Goodman is such a clown.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Who will be our Luca Brasi ?

I like the LB coach for that role. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

God I miss Kevin Scarbinsky.....

My gripe with Scarb was that he went any way the wind blew.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Agreed. Usually this writer attacks us, as I believe he bleeds crimson and white. But got to give it to him when its pretty good like this article. It even had a little 'change of pace' in how he wrote it which was cool. 

And did I read it right, that's it true Harsin walked into the GA WR room? I am shocked that Kirby would have allowed this...

It was hyperbole and creative writing about taking the 5* wr from them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Not a shot at you, DAG, btw. I just think Goodman is such a clown.

He is definitely a clown. If his original intention was to do another hit piece on Auburn, it didn't quite turn out that way. His "bandit" narrative conveyed the message that Harsin knows what he wants, will go after it and won't be intimidated by anything or anybody. In doing so, whether it was unintentional or intentional, he gives Harsin credibility and lets the rest of the SEC know they better not ignore this guy. Georgia seemed to take the hit on this one which means even a clown can be right by accident. I even got a few chuckles out of it.  

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

My gripe with Scarb was that he went any way the wind blew.

But he told it like it was and sometimes it's not pleasant to hear. Auburn has a way of standing downwind from their own stench. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

He is definitely a clown. If his original intention was to do another hit piece on Auburn, it didn't quite turn out that way. His "bandit" narrative conveyed the message that Harsin knows what he wants, will go after it and won't be intimidated by anything or anybody. In doing so, whether it was unintentional or intentional, he gives Harsin credibility and lets the rest of the SEC know they better not ignore this guy. Georgia seemed to take the hit on this one which means even a clown can be right by accident. I even got a few chuckles out of it.  

He wasn't trying to do a hit piece this go around.

For what it's worth, Goodman isn't an Alabama stooge. He isn't auburn either. He is a sports journalist who hates sports. Yes. That is a thing.

This is a guy who wrote articles about the AHSAA was essentially killing kids by having a season last fall, and has written several liberal group-think propaganda pieces.

Just last week he wrote one condemning Kay Ivey as a bigot for standing up for biology restrictions in sports, saying she was being unnecessary hateful trying to solve an imaginary problem, DESPITE a transwoman not a month ago qualifying for the Olympics.

The dude has a lot of anger issues and thinks he's waaaay smarter than his subscription base. 

• Like 2

I think my life would’ve been better if I didn’t read this article 

Good use of a “call to action” though…would’ve been better if he didn’t beat the drum on this guy being a bandit 375 times 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

For what it's worth, Goodman isn't an Alabama stooge. He isn't auburn either. He is a sports journalist who hates sports. Yes. That is a thing.

This is a guy who wrote articles about the AHSAA was essentially killing kids by having a season last fall, and has written several liberal group-think propaganda pieces.

Just last week he wrote one condemning Kay Ivey as a bigot for standing up for biology restrictions in sports, saying she was being unnecessary hateful trying to solve an imaginary problem, DESPITE a transwoman not a month ago qualifying for the Olympics.

The dude has a lot of anger issues and thinks he's waaaay smarter than his subscription base. 

I haven’t read everything he has written but most if not all had a decided Bama lean, so I guess that means I don’t agree with your summation of his drivers.

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I haven’t read everything he has written but most if not all had a decided Bama lean, so I guess that means I don’t agree with your summation of his drivers.

Check his twitter feed then get back to me. I don't think the dude even likes football.

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I agree with you this article sucks; it's misleading and embarrassing. 

But you're wrong about Kay Ivey. Her ad is the same kind of regressive social policy that has held Alabama back for years. It IS an imaginary problem in Alabama. With real issues in the state that desperately need to be addressed, she chooses to focus an ad on transgender athletes. Why do you think that is? Name one example of this being a problem in the state of Alabama. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 2

What a ridiculous article. We didn't steal a 5 star all American WR from Georgia.

He graduated, had eligibility left, and looked to transfer to redeem himself. We were the beneficiaries, and I'm sure Harsin had a lot to do with that, but this hyperbole article is insane.

I'm glad we got Robertson but he was hardly a big part of the UGA offense.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

What a ridiculous article. We didn't steal a 5 star all American WR from Georgia.

He graduated, had eligibility left, and looked to transfer to redeem himself. We were the beneficiaries, and I'm sure Harsin had a lot to do with that, but this hyperbole article is insane.

I'm glad we got Robertson but he was hardly a big part of the UGA offense.

Thank you.  Somebody finally speaks the truth.