What's going on in the Athletic Dept and Lt. Gen Burgess?

steeleagle

Can anyone shed some details on why Gogue planted his VP Lt. Gen Burgess in the Athletic Dept?

Supposedly to take care of issues that seemed to include coaches concerned and ticked about their budgets and the micro managing of things like buses vs planes, cheaper hotels, etc... 

All I heard is that Burgess is on the side of the coaches complaints, but I am wondering if there is now a conflict with Greene and how he wants to financially run his dept?

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Can anyone shed some details on why Gogue planted his VP Lt. Gen Burgess in the Athletic Dept?

Supposedly to take care of issues that seemed to include coaches concerned and ticked about their budgets and the micro managing of things like buses vs planes, cheaper hotels, etc... 

All I heard is that Burgess is on the side of the coaches complaints, but I am wondering if there is now a conflict with Greene and how he wants to financially run his dept?

All I know is that not a lot of people are happy with AG and the fact that AU athletics have worsen under his watch.

• Like 1

*Auburn University’s chief operating officer, Lt. General Ronald Burgess, has temporarily moved into the football complex building while doing an assessment of the athletic department operations for President Jay Gogue. Burgess was the point man in pushing forward the new football complex project from the planning stage to the construction stage where it is a year away from its scheduled completion date. He has a reputation as a no-nonsense administrator who gets things done.

Micromanage the micromanaged? 

17 minutes ago, fredst said:

JABA

I don’t see it that way. Our athletic programs are a mess. Supposedly coaches complaints about their budgets have triggered this and that the only program we outspend in football is Vandy. Don’t no if that is true or not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I don’t see it that way. Our athletic programs are a mess. Supposedly coaches complaints about their budgets have triggered this and that the only program we outspend in football is Vandy. Don’t no if that is true or not.

Might be true, might not be true, but this isn't the way to handle it.

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why not?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Why not?

Because what is that going to accomplish. So he is staying in the football complex building, listening to the coaching staff complain about AD Greene (Online rumors)? The president really can't figure out how to find a happy medium between both sides, without shifting his no non-sense watch dog in the football complex? Seems like more drama than necessary if true. It also seems like this is undermining the AD. However, I doubt it is as dramatic as posters on here are making it seem.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I'll always respect AG for having the stones to stand up to the boosters and take control of the search and land us Harsin. Even if Harsin doesn't work out, that took leadership and guts and brought in outside blood. That being said, I have always scratched my head on the supposed long bus rides, cheap hotels, and budget cuts under his watch. I believe they even bussed the baseball team to Chapel Hill for the super a couple years ago, which is ridiculous. The department as a whole has gone down a notch under his leadership the last few years. How much the budget cuts have to do with that I have no clue, but I would bet it's playing a large role.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because what is that going to accomplish. So he is staying in the football complex building, listening to the coaching staff complain about AD Greene (Online rumors)? The president really can't figure out how to find a happy medium between both sides, without shifting his no non-sense watch dog in the football complex? Seems like more drama than necessary if true. It also seems like this is undermining the AD. However, I doubt it is as dramatic as posters on here are making it seem.

Is Harsin and co already frustrated? Because AG went out on such a limb to hire Harsin, I would think the last thing Harsin would want is to undermine and potentially have AG leave. A new AD would have zero loyalty to any of the coaches

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

Is Harsin and co already frustrated? Because AG went out on such a limb to hire Harsin, I would think the last thing Harsin would want is to undermine and potentially have AG leave. A new AD would have zero loyalty to any of the coaches

Which is why I don’t take too much onus into it. Seems a lot more dramatic than it really is on the surface front. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Which is why I don’t take too much onus into it. Seems a lot more dramatic than it really is on the surface front. 

Agreed. Only way I think it makes sense is if Harsin and Burgess are close since Burgess helped interview him and both seem to have similar no-nonsense, all business personalities. Extremely bold move by Harsin though if this is true. The coaches that should be frustrated would be the smaller sports and maybe Butch since we are so behind on baseball facilities, but not Harsin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

So the athletic director sets the budget? That doesn't even sound true

I watched AG’s interview on the War Rapport and came away feeling like AG has a lot more control of the budget than I previously would have thought. From what I understood, the head coaches are given a baseline amount of money and decide how they will split it between recruiting, staff salaries, amenities, etc. and if a coach feels like they need more money in a specific area, they have to be able to justify how it will pay for itself with AG. 

Maybe I misunderstood what he and the War Rapport crew were saying, but it certainly sounded like that was the case.  I kind of like the idea, though. It takes away the ability for a coach to just spend crap tons of money on assistants and recruiting without justification of how the money is helping Auburn with results **cough cough Gus Malzahn cough **

• Facepalm 1

Ah yes, who doesn't miss the rumor mill when it comes to all things Auburn. I weep with joy when I think of the good ole days preceeding Harsin's hiring. Que to BSPN & SI planting misinformation in the national psyche re Auburn in 3, 2, 1...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m at a loss of words for every other post getting a face palm in here 😂

It is the same passives aggressive goof ball.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

53 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m at a loss of words for every other post getting a face palm in here 😂

Most of the facepalms on this forum comes from people with no good retort.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

No, simply put we finished 12th in the SEC in the all-sports rankings. I wouldn't say he's on anyone's side as much as he's taking feedback directly from the coaches on what can be done better.

Additionally he's a hyper-focused detail guy that's making sure the Football Facility is both done right and as quickly as possible. There's some chatter they want him to get the tires rolling on other facility improvements too.

Gouge is on his way out and wants to make sure everything is as clear as possible. Allen Greene is a money guy and has done a good job trimming the fat. However, it's clear many aren't pleased with the current situation at Aubudn likely including our Athletic Director. 

I'm a big Allen Greene supporter but we aren't where we need to be right now. Literally every sport outside of I think women's golf and equestrian finished in the bottom half of the conference. Friggen Arkansas was at the top if I recall correctly. 

Saving money at the cost of success isn't a good long term investment. That being said I think we're in the right direction. Football - I really like the Harsin hire the more and more I see and hear. There's definitely more energy and access around the program. 

Baseball - injury riddled year with some big time dudes ready for next season. We should be fine here.

Basketball - weird year with Cooper drama, G-League steals, and a season ending concussion. Bruce is the guy though hard to complain.

Women's Basketball - a change needed to happen (probably a year sooner) but I like the hire. Just need to invest more here in general. 

Softball - I'm surprised we don't currently have a new coach. Not sure the future is bright here currently. 

Women's Soccer - actually watched a little this year. We're not bad by any means but we're just barely not good enough. I'll differ to someone else to discuss this one.

Gymnastics - lagging behind

Swim & Dive - nowhere near our standards

Track - no clue

There's always some uncertainty when your AD has interviewed other places and he's a younger, affluent, and scandal free dude. If we don't return to being an "everything school" soon it might be a mutual parting of ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, au302 said:

During the introduction of Harsin by AG, I thought I remembered AG saying that their families had vacationed together. Maybe remembering wrong but if so that add more credence to your point. 

28 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Women's Soccer - actually watched a little this year. We're not bad by any means but we're just barely not good enough. I'll differ to someone else to discuss this one.

Both of these sports have optimism for next year. We were probably one of the hottest teams in country in women’s soccer to end year but fell victim to the poor start of season and less at large teams due to Covid.  Best scorers were freshmen coming back next year and we played solid defense, excellent towards end of year. 

I want to see us start the year quicker in gymnastics, but we signed a 5 star that’s actually on the US gymnastics team going for gold in Tokyo in Sunisa Lee (sp?). Lot of youth as well. Talent is better than it has been. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

It's like a blessing and curse. It is true the sports are a downtrend, but the biggest thing is football! We need that to change the corner. I remember I was one of the few who gave JJ some props as all three sports were winning toward the end of his own path here. However, he seemed like he was not his own man and the contracts were very questionable. AD Greene seems to be very detail oriented but that can be a good and bad thing. I do think he deserves more of a benefit of a doubt however. Obviously the coach Flo thing was a L. However, I think keeping bruce was a win. The next big question mark will be CBH. 

Make your donations and get access to the Eagles Nest for more on this situation!    😃

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gr82be said:

During the introduction of Harsin by AG, I thought I remembered AG saying that their families had vacationed together. Maybe remembering wrong but if so that add more credence to your point. 

yes they met on vacation and became friends. Greene was so impressed by him and remembered him. they were at the same place for about a week and it is my understanding they were not friends before then. i believe they struck up a convo in the pool. my memory fails but i believe this is right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zeek said:

No, simply put we finished 12th in the SEC in the all-sports rankings. I wouldn't say he's on anyone's side as much as he's taking feedback directly from the coaches on what can be done better.

Additionally he's a hyper-focused detail guy that's making sure the Football Facility is both done right and as quickly as possible. There's some chatter they want him to get the tires rolling on other facility improvements too.

Gouge is on his way out and wants to make sure everything is as clear as possible. Allen Greene is a money guy and has done a good job trimming the fat. However, it's clear many aren't pleased with the current situation at Aubudn likely including our Athletic Director. 

I'm a big Allen Greene supporter but we aren't where we need to be right now. Literally every sport outside of I think women's golf and equestrian finished in the bottom half of the conference. Friggen Arkansas was at the top if I recall correctly. 

Saving money at the cost of success isn't a good long term investment. That being said I think we're in the right direction. Football - I really like the Harsin hire the more and more I see and hear. There's definitely more energy and access around the program. 

Baseball - injury riddled year with some big time dudes ready for next season. We should be fine here.

Basketball - weird year with Cooper drama, G-League steals, and a season ending concussion. Bruce is the guy though hard to complain.

Women's Basketball - a change needed to happen (probably a year sooner) but I like the hire. Just need to invest more here in general. 

Softball - I'm surprised we don't currently have a new coach. Not sure the future is bright here currently. 

Swim & Dive - nowhere near our standards

Track - no clue

There's always some uncertainty when your AD has interviewed other places and he's a younger, affluent, and scandal free dude. If we don't return to being an "everything school" soon it might be a mutual parting of ways.

If Greene is pushed or walks out that door anytime soon, I am done as an Auburn fan, to put decades of lagging facilities in his lap or under performing sports which lets be honest, is pretty much the norm here. Let me just say, I will reframe myself of what I think the real reason is, Auburn is not consistent in no sports and the last time we were, was in the swimming and diving program, I am beyond sick and tired of the drama that consistently plaque this university and we wonder why we never get any respect it is because of how Auburn does it's business which is stupid and corrupt and with no forward thinking.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 5