What's going on in the Athletic Dept and Lt. Gen Burgess?

steeleagle

4 hours ago, eaglenest said:

As long as the yellow fella is around, Auburn will continue to suffer, he RUNS Auburn, it's his toy, somebody better have the courage to run him off. All money is not good money, all you have to do is connect the dot as to who is connected to him, he has his pulse on Auburn 24-7/365 

tenor.gif

Edited by johnnyAU

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Better come up with better info. Texas is NOT big boy football. Don’t believe me, just go look in the 2022 Football Recruiting thread…..

Jeez you really get your feelings hurt, huh?  He was there for two season out of his entire career.  You tried to compare Texas in 2010 to the SWC, which might be the most ridiculous thing anyone has ever said.

Recruiting in the SEC is different than anything he's ever done.  This is the pinnacle Conference of College Football.  I'm sorry 1 NSD at Texas and the rest at Boise & Arky State ain't it.

And, as noted, he's having to adjust his style.  Which is awesome.

58 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

As I stated in an earlier post several days ago I view Gogue’s move to put Burgess right in the thick of things to be a positive move. 

Absolutely

51 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

As I stated in an earlier post several days ago I view Gogue’s move to put Burgess right in the thick of things to be a positive move. 

It looks like Gogue (sp)  has every intention of changing course.  Greene cut expenses a couple of yrs ago and it appears put a freeze on spending. I'm sure he was directed to go to such drastic measures.  But when promises were made and coaches expect their superiors to live up the those promises, the AD has to honor them even if he has to get creative with the books to make things work financially.   

Greene stepped into a mess left by Jacobs with lawsuits that probably cost a ton then a 10% across the board budget cut - the next year Covid hits to world and massive loss in revenue. 

It can't have been easy for Greene and his department.  But you can't piss off a guy like Pearl that brings so much more to the school than "Head Basketball Coach".  Hell, Bruce gave AU Athletics a shot of energy and excitement while other HC's on staff just didn't have the personality for it.  

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Jeez you really get your feelings hurt, huh?  He was there for two season out of his entire career.  You tried to compare Texas in 2010 to the SWC, which might be the most ridiculous thing anyone has ever said.

Recruiting in the SEC is different than anything he's ever done.  This is the pinnacle Conference of College Football.  I'm sorry 1 NSD at Texas and the rest at Boise & Arky State ain't it.

And, as noted, he's having to adjust his style.  Which is awesome.

Stalking me to continue repeating yourself seems silly. I’m flattered though

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So a school that was already stingy is going crazy about a guy being stingy......awesome

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

This whole thing just feels too Auburn’y. Feels like Greene will be out and some bubba is gonna slide right on in there. I hope not.

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

Stalking me 

Bless your heart, dear. 

You're posting in an active thread 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This whole thing just feels too Auburn’y. Feels like Greene will be out and some bubba is gonna slide right on in there. I hope not.

Just got mad at him and he's out! Happens all the time

Honestly, give the chaos of 2020, any move has to be good news. The idea that Gouge was blindsided by a BOT member and Kevin Steele, and had to play the heavy and insist on a coaching search, this after Gouge pulled the trigger to fire Malzahn, suggests there was a lack of leadership and disarray in the athletic department.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

So I wonder if Harsin has said to himself wtf did I get myself into yet?:poke::popcorn:

I’m sure. We’re so embarrassing sometimes. It’s our destiny to always be a mess and never have consistency and stability. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Honestly, give the chaos of 2020, any move has to be good news. The idea that Gouge was blindsided by a BOT member and Kevin Steele, and had to play the heavy and insist on a coaching search, this after Gouge pulled the trigger to fire Malzahn, suggests there was a lack of leadership and disarray in the athletic department.

Absolutely. JG Tate raised an interesting point on the rundown about the old system vs an outsider like AG that got me thinking. The one thing about Bobby Lowder, and I'm not trying to defend him, is that he was the alpha of Auburn football. Good or bad, everything went through him which helped with power struggles 

That's where I can see AG letting things get away from him lately. He seems like more of a charming, behind the scenes guy. It became a feeding frenzy, with good ole boys falling into factions. The Steele faction vs. the search faction. What a mess. Whether an insider or an outsider, Auburn needs an alpha type of AD that will get everyone to fall in line. 

45 minutes ago, au302 said:

Auburn needs an alpha type of AD that will get everyone to fall in line. 

Some might argue that the move to hire Harsin and not Steele was an Alpha move by our AD, and everyone not falling into line is the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Some might argue that the move to hire Harsin and not Steele was an Alpha move by our AD, and everyone not falling into line is the problem. 

It was. AG is that Alpha. That’s why the old guard is trying to push him out. And any “alpha” that comes in will be treated the same. Those guys aren’t going to give up their power.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree, and that's what I have thought, but now we're all of a sudden hearing stuff such as Greene actually didn't want to let go of Gus and was gonna let the Steele plan happen before Gogue stepped in and told him to lead a search. I don't really know whose telling the truth and what to believe in all of this at this point, and I don't really know how many people do know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Coincidentally all of a sudden that wasn't him lol. This isn't even suspicious to some people. JABA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fredst said:

Stalking me to continue repeating yourself seems silly. I’m flattered though

832D7ADD-9235-4A88-83D6-867494C2880B.gif
ETA-Sorry about that @fredst. It was like, I couldn’t help it? ;)

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Others are arguing AG didn't make Harsin happen. I have no idea. I'm just glad it happened. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, meh130 said:

suggests there was a lack of leadership and disarray in the athletic department.

From Auburn Athletics...

Thats What I Do GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, au302 said:

now we're all of a sudden hearing stuff such as Greene actually didn't want to let go of Gus

@au302 That's not all of a sudden. That's been known for a long time & was posted by insiders on all 3 major AU message boards including this one since even a little before Gus was let go.

was gonna let the Steele plan happen before Gogue stepped in

Where did you here this? First I have heard of it.

before Gogue stepped in and told him to lead a search.

Didn't go from Green to Gouge. The boosters got the money up to fire Gus (Rayne, Harbert & 1 other) & went straight to Gogue. Gogue OKed it & Gus was gone without input from ADAG. Once that was done then Rayne & company pushed Steele hard on Gogue. He said no & then ADAG was brought in along with doing the search committee headed by him, the General, & Q.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's been known for a long time & was posted by insiders on all 3 major AU message boards including this one since even a little before Gus was let go.

Wait? This was common knowledge. We need to take a poll because I don't remember any insiders on this board saying AG was resistant to the firing of Gus. 

• Like 3

I just read the Phillip Marshall article 

Key Notes:

Basically says AG was on the peripheral on all big time decisions including the chuck person ordeal, Gus's firing, 

Says boosters got money to get rid of Gus and presented it to Gogue, who got rid of him (But mentions AG did not want to fire him).

Apparently the boosters pushed for CKS but Gogue stopped it

Gogue initiated a search committee and put AG at the head of it

OKd AG to hire CBH

AG "thought" he had a mandate to cut sports expenses while raising money for the football only complex. Cut expenses by 10 percent across the board. COVID made finances even worse. Promises put on back order and now coaches are mad.

After reading some of that I conclude, this still makes zero sense and seems to be highly inconsistent. However, I let others take it for what it is.