What's going on in the Athletic Dept and Lt. Gen Burgess?

steeleagle

Let's say Greene leaves months before the new Pres. is hired. Would I be correct to assume that Gogue would not hire an AD and would instead appoint an interim until the new Pres. is in place? Because if that scenario happens I am buckling up for Tim Jackson to be interim. Pray we do not get another Steven Leath. I just hope that the new Pres/AD give Harsin a chance to do his thing. Fielding a competent squad this year will greatly help him if a new regime comes in during the offseason. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

So basically it is a budget thing like we said in the beginning?

Is it a budget thing out of the control of ADAG?

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Is it a budget thing out of the control of ADAG?

I don't even know the inner works of it. I would think it would be something the AD would have to come up with and get approved but I guess not

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Let's say Greene leaves months before the new Pres. is hired. Would I be correct to assume that Gogue would not hire an AD and would instead appoint an interim until the new Pres. is in place? Because if that scenario happens I am buckling up for Tim Jackson to be interim. Pray we do not get another Steven Leath. I just hope that the new Pres/AD give Harsin a chance to do his thing. Fielding a competent squad this year will greatly help him if a new regime comes in during the offseason. 

It better be the most scrutinized Auburn president hire in our lifetime. After the 3 fiascos (Leath, the $49 million golden parachute, and the attempted KS promotion), they HAVE to get it right.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Correct, it was relatively young upstart that some predicted would overtake Nike.  They never did and the deal was very shortsighted.  That had to be at least 15 years ago...why have we not moved on?

Didn’t Al Borges’s’s wife broker the Under armor deal? Would have been…2004-5? CLICK CLACK SENATOR TUBBS.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 2

Auburn pulls in revenues in the top 10, maybe top 5 in  the country.

So, just wondering, where is that money going? Why are our coaches crying about lack of money? Why are our teams riding buses and staying at rinky-dink motels?

If this requires a military general to figure out, okay, but *somebody* needs to figure it out.

JMO.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, AURex said:

Auburn pulls in revenues in the top 10, maybe top 5 in  the country.

So, just wondering, where is that money going? Why are our coaches crying about lack of money? Why are our teams riding buses and staying at rinky-dink motels?

If this requires a military general to figure out, okay, but *somebody* needs to figure it out.

JMO.

Everyone knows where it is. Paying coaches to not coach. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Everyone knows where it is. Paying coaches to not coach. 

Eh, that comes from boosters

13 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

I can't read 8 pages so sorry if this has been covered.

the guys on the Montgomery noon radio show (charlie trotman and a bammer and some other guy) said that:

a) Greene is obviously not Gouge's guy. a Leath hire. so there is that.

b) Gouge put the kibosh on the Steele for Head Coach. Greene was evidently going to let it happen.

c) Several coaches went directly to Gouge to complain about the mgmt of the athletic dept

I heard that show as well and the morning show with McNight/Longshore and they all are pretty much saying the same things.  All this time I thought Gouge didn't GAS about AU Athletics, turns out he's very involved his second time around.   When coaches are going straight up to the president, well um......

One of the hosts specifically asked the guest if did he think Greene would still be at Auburn at the end of the year?  The guest said NO.   Of course that's just a couple of radio guys opinion, no one knows what will end up happening.

Edited by keesler

if we depend on rane too much he will be wanting to roam the sidelines and chew out coaches if he thinks they made a bad call. he has already done that in tubbs tenure and that was embarrassing enough.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if we depend on rane too much he will be wanting to roam the sidelines and chew out coaches if he thinks they made a bad call. he has already done that in tubbs tenure and that was embarrassing enough.

If you have too much Rane you are going to have to deal with mud too. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

@gravejd And that's a massive reason. He's running a multi million dollar business like he's still at Buffalo. Things like most of our teams having to take the bus on road trips most of the time definitely put our teams at competitive disadvantage & are inexcusable, especially given most of the SEC schools aren't bussing near as much as we are.

So Greene doesn't understand that he has a bigger budget at AU? The dude did graduate from Notre Dame so i think he understands what big athletic budgets look like. And i think he understands what big boy athletics look like. So if he understands he has a bigger budget and he understands the expectations of working at a school like Auburn than why are there budget issues? Is Greene out to take down AU?? No he is not. So why? Maybe he is actually looking at the real numbers and seeing that we are spending more than we are bringing in?? Maybe the cuts and bus rides are necessary to have an athletic department not operating in the red?? 

IMO Greene is doing what he thinks is required to be successful in his job. Maybe he is not the correct fit for Auburn and maybe he sees that and Auburn sees that as well. And that is fine and it happens in the work world. You can have good and talented people that just don't work out it certain positions. 

I like Greene and i was excited to see Auburn actually bring in someone who had the credentials to run an athletic department. He was an outsider and since we have such problems with the good ol boy network i thought he was a breath of fresh air. Then the Harsin hire was made and that was really encouraging decision to make. Harsin had sustained success at Boise and had no AU connections. We actually went out a hired a coach based on his credentials running a program versus just going and getting a guy we were familiar with but had next to 0 experience running a major college football program. What a crazy concept!!! Hiring coaches with actual real head coaching experience. 

I'll be disappointed if Greene decides to move on because that will mean our experiment of getting out of the good ol boy network failed. Maybe that network is so ingrained in Auburn that we never had a chance to leave it behind.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I like Greene and i was excited to see Auburn actually bring in someone who had the credentials to run an athletic department.

I like him too and was excited for the hire. One of the questions at the time was whether he actually DID have the credentials to run an SEC/big time AD.

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

I like him too and was excited for the hire. One of the questions at the time was whether he actually DID have the credentials to run an SEC/big time AD.

Yeah i he was pretty new to it. But when comparing him to our last ADs credentials.......and thats what i am afraid we'll go back to. Some guy who is the athletic directory because he played football here. 

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

So Greene doesn't understand that he has a bigger budget at AU? The dude did graduate from Notre Dame so i think he understands what big athletic budgets look like. And i think he understands what big boy athletics look like. So if he understands he has a bigger budget and he understands the expectations of working at a school like Auburn than why are there budget issues? Is Greene out to take down AU?? No he is not. So why? Maybe he is actually looking at the real numbers and seeing that we are spending more than we are bringing in?? Maybe the cuts and bus rides are necessary to have an athletic department not operating in the red?? 

IMO Greene is doing what he thinks is required to be successful in his job. Maybe he is not the correct fit for Auburn and maybe he sees that and Auburn sees that as well. And that is fine and it happens in the work world. You can have good and talented people that just don't work out it certain positions. 

I like Greene and i was excited to see Auburn actually bring in someone who had the credentials to run an athletic department. He was an outsider and since we have such problems with the good ol boy network i thought he was a breath of fresh air. Then the Harsin hire was made and that was really encouraging decision to make. Harsin had sustained success at Boise and had no AU connections. We actually went out a hired a coach based on his credentials running a program versus just going and getting a guy we were familiar with but had next to 0 experience running a major college football program. What a crazy concept!!! Hiring coaches with actual real head coaching experience. 

I'll be disappointed if Greene decides to move on because that will mean our experiment of getting out of the good ol boy network failed. Maybe that network is so ingrained in Auburn that we never had a chance to leave it behind.  

we sure seem quick to vilify folks without proof anymore. and why the hell cannot someone just sit down with him and discuss problems like normal folks used to?

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yeah i he was pretty new to it. But when comparing him to our last ADs credentials.......and thats what i am afraid we'll go back to. Some guy who is the athletic directory because he played football here. 

Yes. We will continue to struggle until we commit to running a professional AD with highly qualified people. Just like with our last football coach, we don’t need to be a place for OTJT

• Like 1

I guess I come to a totally different opinion than most of you. I, like most of you, was excited to see the way it looked like from outside that he took control of the coaching hire. I also completely support the outcome of that (Harsin). I know nothing except what I have read in articles and here. It makes perfect sense to me that he would squeeze the budget due to covid massive shortfall. I think we don’t like his choices as we fear it will negatively impact Harsin. My work experience is that it rarely works putting someone in between to short circuit the established “chain of command “.

20 hours ago, abw0004 said:

At the time, UA was at the top and Auburn signed the biggest apparel endorsement deal in the country with any apparel company with them.  The times have changed and our deal is outdated.

Ignoring that we didn't even sign with UA at their best, they had a roughly 6 year span of time where they were noteworthy, and they still never were successful with the demographics we try to recruit in either of the major sport. It's been said multiple ways since you made this quote, but getting into a deal without projecting the value this company's style would have with the recruits wasn't ideal

20 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Say what? If you personally never liked Russell, that's fine. But back when schools and teams actually had to shop and BUY their own gear, they chose Russell. There's a reason Russell dominated the market for a very, very long time, both college and pro. Quality and Service. Equally important, Russell was a job pipeline for Auburn textile engineering graduates. I have 30 year old sweats from the outlet store.

They hadn't dominated the market since the early 2000s, wth lol. They got phased out the market by the 2010s. If you're using 30 year sweats as your reference to say they were worth something in the modern era, I don't know how much of a leg you have to stand on 

If it weren't for a couple long dated deals with the MLB and CFB teams, Nike would've consumed their share way before our deal ended with them (which might've been a blessing, if it led to us not being signed to UA) 

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I guess I come to a totally different opinion than most of you. I, like most of you, was excited to see the way it looked like from outside that he took control of the coaching hire. I also completely support the outcome of that (Harsin). I know nothing except what I have read in articles and here. It makes perfect sense to me that he would squeeze the budget due to covid massive shortfall. I think we don’t like his choices as we fear it will negatively impact Harsin. My work experience is that it rarely works putting someone in between to short circuit the established “chain of command “.

hank sometimes you just have to drink s beer. well, unless you own a bong...............lol

• Haha 1

I'm cognizant of gear being sold across every brand across the nation by athletes, but I think it's always funny how much athlete gear I see donated or sold by various secondhand stores in Auburn (especially the shoes) 

I feel like that's not an ideal representation of the value they have of it! 

22 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

No, It just didn't happen bc of Covid. AG had started this fiscal revamping when he came in 2018 and instituted the now famous '10% cut across all programs'. He also cut fat in upper level positions(that was definitely needed). 

My take is you can be fiscally responsible, but Greene also has to:

1. bring in the big bucks in donor giving(that was suppose to be 1 of his strengths)

2. Use the revenues to make sure the major sports programs are competitive and offer like incentives for coaches to recruit and provide top level operations. You can't nickel and dime in football, basketball etc...and expect to be competitive. 

Is Greene to conservative in running an AD? Someone else with proof will have to backup that question. But it's not good when a President has to assign someone to your area to mediate problems with coaches and fiscal spending...

On 7/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, keesler said:

The budget cuts were +2 yrs ago after baseball made the CWS, basketball made the F4 & if I'm not mistaken equestrian won a NC.  Staff cuts in the AD + a 10% cut for all sports was issued by Greene and folks on here loved that he was being so responsible.  Travel/food/lodging were going the discount route during those cuts as well.  Personally, I felt like it was a mistake and stated so on this board.  I felt  Greene needed to realize Auburn is an SEC school not a Buffalo level program.  Auburn should be spending in tandem with our main rivals if we wanted to be able to consistently compete with them.  

Something has changed if coaches are voicing complaints to the point where the Prez has inserted a watch dog to evaluate the AD. 

^This, this and this!^  Well said, great work!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Bo Nix had the best shuttle time on the team.  Very Elite

There you go again using facts to explain your opinions. Why do you do that? You just have to “feel” a certain way and leave all facts and statistics aside.

• Haha 1