Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Just because my opinion differs from yours . I am dumb, stupid incoherent whatever u want to say. I didnt say Harsin was bad I think he is average while u acting like he is some football god coming through the door. I dont give a crap about what his resume says. That why u have a references . Boise State SOS in a good year probably top 100 while Auburns is top 5. Also I watched Hawkins, Peterson and Harsin teams play in person. From my personal observation wasnt nothing special. Most are just looking at statistics but dont know the level of competition that was played. Yes, he beat the teams he was supposed to beat I will say that. At the same time not gonna act like Boise was beating highly rated TEAMS either. So u can talk all the trash and belittle as much as u want I saw what I saw. 

This is sad just because someone has a difference of opinion they have to be stupid. Feel free though with the name calling it wont change my opinion. If I am wrong I can man up.

Gus probably got more money than he should have but he did beat two #1 teams. Luck whatever u want to call it that happened. The man wasnt the greatest but the SEC at least the top portion is much more of a juggernaut during his coaching era than any other. Now its Harsins chance to see what he can do.

Something that you miss is that Harsin was able to attract only 6 4 Star players to Boise.  That is better than what they normally did. He maintained a winning program in a desolate area,with majority 3 star talent, regularly developing, and sending players to The League, while California teams got better talent. That's one reason that Bert Watts, who is a VERY good DC, was able to slow his offense down.

No, he wasn't in the SEC West.  I will give you that, but that doesn't mean his conference is bad, nor his schedule.  You play who you can play, like scheduling FSU in Tallahassee, and deal with your conference the best you can.

Harsin, YEARLY, had Boise in the gunning for the conference championship.  YEARLY. Tubs couldn't do that.  Neither could Czik, and definitely neither could Gus. and none of the three could do it at the schools they left for Auburn.  Neither could Dye. Auburn has come accustomed to hoping we can every four years...

When Harsin went against Power 5 or better teams, he usually won, outright. Gus was used to being blown out by Big 10 teams.

Harsin didn't need prayers like our last coach.

Harsin is NOT an average hire. He may not be Sabanesque, but he certainly ain't average. I believe that we will be pleasantly surprised.

But each to their own. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Something that you miss is that Harsin was able to attract only 6 4 Star players to Boise.  That is better than what they normally did. He maintained a winning program in a desolate area,with majority 3 star talent, regularly developing, and sending players to The League, while California teams got better talent. That's one reason that Bert Watts, who is a VERY good DC, was able to slow his offense down.

No, he wasn't in the SEC West.  I will give you that, but that doesn't mean his conference is bad, nor his schedule.  You play who you can play, like scheduling FSU in Tallahassee, and deal with your conference the best you can.

Harsin, YEARLY, had Boise in the gunning for the conference championship.  YEARLY. Tubs couldn't do that.  Neither could Czik, and definitely neither could Gus. and none of the three could do it at the schools they left for Auburn.  Neither could Dye. Auburn has come accustomed to hoping we can every four years...

When Harsin went against Power 5 or better teams, he usually won, outright. Gus was used to being blown out by Big 10 teams.

Harsin didn't need prayers like our last coach.

Harsin is NOT an average hire. He may not be Sabanesque, but he certainly ain't average. I believe that we will be pleasantly surprised.

But each to their own. 

Yes because Boise was the favorite to win the conference every year. Hawaii hasnt been good since June Jones and is on like coach 4. Utah State, Wyoming,  Nevada, and Fresno arent good either. San Jose beat them because they finally had a decent squad. The power 5 teams he beat were terrible Oregon State, Arizona and FSU. Beat Oregon in the bowl game that was 500. 

Why does Gus wins all have to be prayers. Football is a game of inches and it can go either way. I get it everyone hates and despising Gus. Harsin is much better and the whistle hasnt blown yet. I would lay anyone money let Gus coach Boise State and he would have the same results. I see the games in person and know that Boise has been head and shoulders about the rest in their conference for while. Harsin didnt do anything more than the previous coaches. I am done. I stand on my opinion and respect everyone else. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

Why does Gus wins all have to be prayers

Because history shows us, that with the exception of two in 2017, they usually were.

Facts are stubborn things 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why do Gus’ wins have to be prayers?   The one game is literally known as “the prayer at Jordan Hare”

The other the guy called a field goal block and it failed.  Chris Davis made a great return after Coach Harbison put him in.  I love me Auburn but I know damn well we won those games being lucky on two plays and it had nothing to do with play calling or great coaching.  And I still love watching it.

for example if that was Notre Dame they would have been referenced in some way with the luck of the Irish.  Any person with a mildly functioning brain can see this.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Harsin went to a mid major that was already the cream of the crop before he got there. Boise has been a big fish in a small pond for a while now. This program stability came via TEAMS that were top 50 if u lucky. Thus Harsin himself wanted to leave to be challenged. The next coach will probably have the same success.  Now compare that to Gus at a Power 5 school loaded with highly ranked teams there is no comparison. I get it Gus wasnt the greatest but he wasnt the worst either.

So no lol. You are embarrassing yourself man. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

The prayer in Jordan Hare never should have happened after the refs gifted Georgia a touch down and at the time of the kick six the game was tied. No one knows what the outcome would have been. I am done.  According to the majority Gus never won a game but yet never had a losing season unlike the previous two coaches and played much tougher competition. T

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

So no lol. You are embarrassing yourself man. 

Ha, I am embarrassing myself because DAG says so. Got it!!

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

The prayer in Jordan Hare never should have happened after the refs gifted Georgia a touch down and at the time of the kick six the game was tied. No one knows what the outcome would have been. I am done.  According to the majority Gus never won a game but yet never had a losing season unlike the previous two coaches and played much tougher competition. T

You know Gus coaches at UCF? Everybody understands and appreciate what Gus did here , but unlike you, we understand he also had glaring deficiencies, leading to his undoing. Majority of the posters here are going to support our current coach here. You steadily defending a guy who isn’t here.

Edited by DAG

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Ha, I am embarrassing myself because DAG says so. Got it!!

Not really, no.

Gus was a decent lower Division coach that worked out better than Gerry Faust. He should never have been HC at Auburn.  He did not earn that.

Just my opinion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, e808 said:

Now repeat after me....

'I am not going to talk about Gus.

I am not going to talk about Gus.

I am not going to talk about Gus.

There, now you are cured. Thank goodness. :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, e808 said:

didnt say Harsin was bad I think he is average

Avg what? And based on what? 

He did all he could he the conferences he coached in MW and SB conferences. He came in first 9 out of the 10 years he was HC. He did what he had to do to compete in those conferences. I looked up the recruiting years for all those teams he competed against. Harsin and those coaches had to fight basically for all 3*s for their teams, so either Harsin got the best of those 3*s, evaluated better, and/or coached them better on the field.

If where he coached and how he only succeeded in weak conferences, then you have to apply that to one of greatest coaches all time...Pat Dye.

His time at East Carolina and Wyoming weren't dominant, he didn't mop up in those weak conferences, but he knew how to coach and develop a winning program that he brought to Auburn.

Can't Harsin do the same? I just wouldn't call him average.

There is zero basis for that. But I also realize he has to show he can do ALL the things as well as he did or better in the SEC. Recruiting, development, and on the field progress with his offenses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Why does Gus wins all have to be prayers. Football is a game of inches and it can go either way. I get it everyone hates and despising Gus. Harsin is much better and the whistle hasnt blown yet. I would lay anyone money let Gus coach Boise State and he would have the same results. I see the games in person and know that Boise has been head and shoulders about the rest in their conference for while. Harsin didnt do anything more than the previous coaches. I am done. I stand on my opinion and respect everyone else. 

I still can't figure out if you are Ryan Russell, Mikeys alter, or Gus himself. It's changing hourly lol

A common thread I see in people who are critical of the Gus firing and the ones who were excited about it is mostly determined on how each person views Auburn in college football's hierarchy.

If you believe that Auburn will never consistently be in the top tier of the SEC, and whose ceiling is competing for Championships 1-2 times a decade  then you probably disliked Gus's firing, because if nothing else, Gus kept Auburn above water. We were never really 'elite' under Gus, but like @e808 mentioned earlier in the thread, Gus never had a losing season, which for some people is about the best that Auburn can do...win big games every now and then but otherwise just don't have losing seasons. We'll beat LSU,UGA,and Bama each about 30-40% of the time, and that's good enough for them. 

Those who celebrate Gus's firing seem to believe Auburn has untapped potential that Gus just wasn't capable

of exploiting. They see Auburn as being capable of competing with UGA, AL, and LSU on a yearly basis and becoming one of the crème of the crop teams of College Football, where we can at least realistically hope for a playoff berth every few years and reload our rosters instead of rebuilding.   

• Like 7
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

A common thread I see in people who are critical of the Gus firing and the ones who were excited about it is mostly determined on how each person views Auburn in college football's hierarchy.

If you believe that Auburn will never consistently be in the top tier of the SEC, and whose ceiling is competing for Championships 1-2 times a decade  then you probably disliked Gus's firing, because if nothing else, Gus kept Auburn above water. We were never really 'elite' under Gus, but like @e808 mentioned earlier in the thread, Gus never had a losing season, which for some people is about the best that Auburn can do...win big games every now and then but otherwise just don't have losing seasons. We'll beat LSU,UGA,and Bama each about 30-40% of the time, and that's good enough for them. 

Those who celebrate Gus's firing seem to believe Auburn has untapped potential that Gus just wasn't capable

of exploiting. They see Auburn as being capable of competing with UGA, AL, and LSU on a yearly basis and becoming one of the crème of the crop teams of College Football, where we can at least realistically hope for a playoff berth every few years and reload our rosters instead of rebuilding.   

Much respect. Auburn has been respected but has never been a sustained power house. At least since I been living.  There has always been ups and down. Some years were better than others. I dont recall consistent double digit win seasons other than Bowden when the team was on probation. From what I recall Auburn would have some upsets sprinkled in throughout the season and if they lost u knew u was in a dog fight. 

36 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

you believe that Auburn will never consistently be in the top tier of the SEC, and whose ceiling is competing for Championships 1-2 times a decade

What a sad life to live as a fan. I think you hit the nail on the head. Those same people are so comfortable with "just not having a losing season" so much that they fear a coaching change could make us into the next Tennessee. Complacency..do not like it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Good synopsis. I for one am in the camp that AUburn has all the potential to be a perennial top 10 even in the backyard of bammer and uga. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'd hope so, but your boy is coming off a 6 win season. 

Pretending 9 wins is the floor is a bit ridiculous 

6 wins in a 10 game season with no out of conference games is not much difference from a 9 win season. Sorry Buddy.

3 hours ago, e808 said:

I agree with you. I'm done too. They can call me 3.0. I have no problem with wearing the badge of shame. Adios.

• Like 1

I am going to hold on to my opinion on coach Harsin until I see him coach at least 6 games.

I am not looking for wins and losses but the play calling, discipline on the field, team cohesiveness, scheme and execution on both lines. 

Coaching in the SEC is not easy in the first or second year, ask Coach Jimbo Fisher

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

I am going to hold on to my opinion on coach Harsin until I see him coach at least 6 games.

I am not looking for wins and losses but the play calling, discipline on the field, team cohesiveness, scheme and execution on both lines. 

Coaching in the SEC is not easy in the first or second year, ask Coach Jimbo Fisher

*ask Gus malzhan*

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, autan said:

6 wins in a 10 game season with no out of conference games is not much difference from a 9 win season. Sorry Buddy.

Haha what? That is slightly over .500

That is completely different than a 9 win season. But this comes to another point and a major reason why Gus is gone. He had that same complacent thought and wanted to feast on teams with less talent. Quickly found it that will get you fired. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, autan said:

I agree with you. I'm done too. They can call me 3.0. I have no problem with wearing the badge of shame. Adios.

Glad we've got another Gus apologist coming out

4 hours ago, e808 said:

The fixation on downing Gus to praise Harsin has been annoying to say the least. Beat JFF in College Station (top 7 iirc), top 5 Missouri in the SEC CG, top 5 Ole Miss in Oxford, top 15 LSU by 30, top 15 KSU on the road, had the biggest ass kicking of a ranked team that Auburn has had (2016 Ark), and was within 5 percentage points or less to Tubbs, Jordan and Dye whilst having the hardest coaching job at Auburn ever and inheriting a team that got laughed off the field for almost 2 straight years. Outside of that South Carolina win and the paper Tiger ranked win vs UF, this team was horrendous against ranked squads. 

anyone who implies to you Gus inherited  some golden goose is disingenuous as hell 

5 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Not really, no.

Gus was a decent lower Division coach that worked out better than Gerry Faust. He should never have been HC at Auburn.  He did not earn that.

Just my opinion

I love me a Gerry Faust reference...both high school coaches who got in over their heads.  Both were good people and thus people love to fight tooth and nail for Gus.

4 hours ago, fishepa said:

Gus owes his entire career to Cam Newton. 

I know I spend too much developing my (virtually indisputable) points, but I wholly believe this to be true.   Without the once in a lifetime talent that unfolded before us, Gus would have never been elevated so quickly and would not have caught lightning in a bottle as a coach.   Then he got to follow his buddy into the Ark State job with a seasoned and senior QB, which got him the Auburn job the next yr.   

I liken this to Dennis Franchione: without L Tomlinson he would have never been hired at bama or TAMU.  But that is how the coaching carousel works.    Gus and Dennis absolutely caught lightning in a bottle and did a fine job riding the waves of opportunity.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Avg what? And based on what? 

I just wouldn't call him average.

There is zero basis for that. But I also realize he has to show he can do ALL the things as well as he did or better in the SEC. Recruiting, development, and on the field progress with his offenses.

@steeleagle is 100% spot on.  Harsin is anything but 'average'

This is undisputable:  Harson is the most accomplished football coach Auburn has ever hired.  

I think he has the 3rd highest winning % of active coaches and  lots can be debated about how good the Pac 12 is, but he is 50-50 against better programs and you can't argue that.   Most of his wins ( I am guessing b/c it's Boise ) against better competition was likely on the road.  Consider that...

Pat Dye was a great hire, but did not have a resume close to Harsin's.  Actually Pat had a very average resume at best.   I could make an argument, it was below average, but Auburn was a below avg program at that time also. 

Terry Bowden won 20 in a row and did some great things in a difficult time, but did not have a resume.

Tubs  - did not have a resume that would garner much excitement before coming to Auburn.

Chiz - good gravy,  horrible resume, but got us a Natty.

Gus - his resume was  better than Bowdens when hired, but  no track record of success.

Harsin gets a long leash with me because he's accomplished a lot in a challenging location, and chose to jump into the SEC West.   Big coconuts....and now, he's our coach - so no, I do not apologize for defending his resume and fully support him. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 3
  • Love 3