Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Great song.................and video

Agree. David Byrne one strange cat. “Stop Making Sense” a great movie/documentary if you have any interest in the Talking Heads

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree. David Byrne one strange cat. “Stop Making Sense” a great movie/documentary if you have any interest in the Talking Heads

It's like aliens on ayahuasca made music you can really dance to. 

Like, that song and Crosseyed and Painless and The Overload are all on the same album. But hey, there is water under the ocean, soooo...

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good lord, son. Have some dignity.

What dignity am I missing?  There's no reason to hype Gus, especially not for being a Bama team missing their #1 overall draft pick.  I enjoyed it thoroughly like many, but it has an asterisk if anyone is being honest with themselves.  That was the start of this conversation.  Giving excuses for Gus and how he's really been an 8 win coach outside 2 years.  

We got embarrassed on the field more times than anyone could imagine under Gus.  Being happy b/c he beat Bama 3* of 8, while 4 of 8 were down right ass beatings, is not good.  But we want to fawn over the coach and try to paint him in a better light just b/c he beat bama less than 50% of the time.

To the original point, our fanbase puts way too much on beating bama as primary gauge of success. 2 or 3 of 8, when getting taken to the woodshed in the other 4, combined with the down right terrible records vs all our other rivals, there really isn't much to look good on during Gus' tenure outside of his 1st year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's like aliens on ayahuasca made music you can really dance to. 

Like, that song and Crosseyed and Painless and The Overload are all on the same album. But hey, there is water under the ocean, soooo...

Dude…ayahuasca? Lol. Your posts always have the potential to send me to Wikipedia.

Re: that album…Brian Eno a freaking genius, produced some of the greatest albums of that (or any) era

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Dude…ayahuasca? Lol. Your posts always have the potential to send me to Wikipedia.

Re: that album…Brian Eno a freaking genius, produced some of the greatest albums of that (or any) era

I've never partied with a shaman in the Amazon rainforest, but if I did...

Agreed about Eno. And his buddy Daniel Lanois. I'm embarrassed to admit, though, that my favorite Eno work is Music for Airports. Who needs Ambien as long as that album exists?!?

Edited by McLoofus

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

That's fine.  We can acknowledge why he was able to win.  Beating Bama 2 out of 8 with a 3rd vs a back up shouldn't make people happy, but it does.  With various comments ITT about "look at his record vs other coaches"

I don't know any people that were happy with that. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've never partied with a shaman in the Amazon rainforest, but if I did...

Agreed about Eno. And his buddy Daniel Lanois. I'm embarrassed to admit, though, that my favorite Eno work is Music for Airports. Who needs Ambien as long as that album exists?!?

Hmmm. Have not listened. “The Joshua Tree” remains my touchstone for that era though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hmmm. Have not listened. “The Joshua Tree” remains my touchstone for that era though.

Can't think of many better candidates.

I am not exactly sure what the qualifications of woodshed would be. I recall them more often than not pulling away in the second half. Tubs and chiz last year were both butt whipping. Now the Georgia losses were thrashings from the start. I am done dwelling in the pass ready for the season to start

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Hmmm. Have not listened. “The Joshua Tree” remains my touchstone for that era though

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*willyon

He is best kept right there, behind the glass, for sure

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, fredst said:

Yeah, I haven’t heard a bunch of stories out of T-town about Saban sitting around playing Yahtzee with the guys on the weekend. Which is too bad because I really like Yahtzee

more like spin the bottle or post office with Saban!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Moving that field goal post. I know I was wrong and looked foolish but how about this one to save face

“back 1915 to the new coach beat everyone by 60 points and went undefeated with them.” Sure it was 8 man football and it was six teams in the league but that coach did it so this one should too.

Embarrassing 

Name him.

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You're intentionally setting the new staff up for failure so you can crush on Gus.  It's funny to watch

How silly. It's got nothing to do with the previous staff. What it has to do with is what can and should be accomplished in the 2021 season.

If Terry Bowden could turn a 5-5-1 team into 11-0 then the current staff should be able to squeeze 9-3 out of a team that's been winning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

How silly. It's got nothing to do with the previous staff. What it has to do with is what can and should be accomplished in the 2021 season.

If Terry Bowden could turn a 5-5-1 team into 11-0 then the current staff should be able to squeeze 9-3 out of a team that's been winning.

Gus went to a Natty in his 1st year.  Why isn't that the bar?

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Basing what the 2021 AU team should accomplish on what the 1993 AU team did is some extra big brain stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

What was the ranking of our opponents that year?

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

What was the ranking of our opponents that year?

My sources tell me we only faces two ranked opponents,  Alabama and Florida

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Basing what the 2021 AU team should accomplish on what the 1993 AU team did is some extra big brain stuff. 

rock band GIF

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

So the 2021 season has nothing to do with the 2020 staff but you set your 2021 expectations based on a team from 1993. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2