Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

7 hours ago, cbo said:

So the 2021 season has nothing to do with the 2020 staff but you set your 2021 expectations based on a team from 1993. 

The argument was made that we shouldn't expect much in '21 because of new staff, new schemes, new routines and so forth. In that respect, there is no difference between '93 and '21. If Terry Bowden could go 11-0, why can't the current staff have a solid year, 9-3 or better?

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Gus went to a Natty in his 1st year.  Why isn't that the bar?

Because 11-2 < 11-0.

11 hours ago, gravejd said:

Basing what the 2021 AU team should accomplish on what the 1993 AU team did is some extra big brain stuff. 

What's the difference in circumstances? Other than Harsin inheriting a winning team and T. Bowden didn't, the situation is the same.

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

What was the ranking of our opponents that year?

Who cares, we beat them all.

Some of you people have a lot less confidence in our coaching staff than I do. If you think they can't win 9 regular season games you must think we hired the wrong guy. According to the haters here, Gus is a terrible coach and yet he won six of ten SEC games last season. With three gimmies thrown in this season, certainly a new coach with a fresh approach can win nine of 12.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

. I wouldn’t waste my time on him anymore. In fact if people would just ignore him, he would have no ammunition. He is no different than the Twitter and Instagram young adults or teenagers who look forward to saying ridiculous things to get reactions. Stop feeding him. He has no intention of having a logical discussion and he has no intention of being a supporter of this coaching staff. 

Best post you ever made DAG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The argument was made that we shouldn't expect much in '21 because of new staff, new schemes, new routines and so forth. In that respect, there is no difference between '93 and '21. If Terry Bowden could go 11-0, why can't the current staff have a solid year, 9-3 or better?

Because 11-2 < 11-0.

What's the difference in circumstances? Other than Harsin inheriting a winning team and T. Bowden didn't, the situation is the same.

Some of you people have a lot less confidence in our coaching staff than I do. If you think they can't win 9 regular season games you must think we hired the wrong guy. According to the haters here, Gus is a terrible coach and yet he won six of ten SEC games last season. With three gimmies thrown in this season, certainly a new coach with a fresh approach can win nine of 12.

I dunno...pretty sure this 2021 team is much more similar to the 1951 team. That was Shug's first season at AU. And the last number in each date matches! Like looking into a mirror really. Lots of parallels to explore here :Sing:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because 11-2 < 11-0.

You’re right as always, Mikey. Strength of schedule don’t mean squat! 😉

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2021 at 4:54 AM, DAG said:

As you can see now this guy is a Gus fan and a troll. I wouldn’t waste my time on him anymore. In fact if people would just ignore him, he would have no ammunition. He is no different than the Twitter and Instagram young adults or teenagers who look forward to saying ridiculous things to get reactions. Stop feeding him. He has no intention of having a logical discussion and he has no intention of being a supporter of this coaching staff. 

This. He is clearly just doing this to entertain himself as a provocateur. That can be the only explanation for the ludicrous arguments. He has faults but he’s not stupid enough to truly believe what he writes. The only real response is to laugh and try to see the entertainment value in it

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re right as always, Mikey. Strength of schedule don’t mean squat! 😉

You are correct. In the context of the discussion, it doesn't mean squat.

14 hours ago, gravejd said:

I dunno...pretty sure this 2021 team is much more similar to the 1951 team. That was Shug's first season at AU. And the last number in each date matches! Like looking into a mirror really. Lots of parallels to explore here :Sing:

Shug's '51 team was following a long string of losing seasons. The '50 team was 0-10, Shug's '51 team was 5-5. So again, new schemes, new staff and new routines are no excuse for not showing improvement.

Under "horrible coaching", the '20 team finished 6-4 in the SEC with no gimme games. 60%. Take the 8 SEC games plus Penn State in '21 and and finish 6-3 (67%) plus the three gimme games and there you have 9-3. Surely, with vastly improved coaching it shouldn't be hard to accomplish the slight improvement from 60% to 67% in the tough games? I wouldn't be surprised to see us do better than 9-3, I think 10+ wins is more likely than 8 or lower.

Again, I think the guys saying that 9-3 is unrealistic for the new staff don't think much of the new staff's abilities. Or else they are simply afraid of failure and are trying to create lower expectations among the Auburn faithful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DAG said:

As you can see now this guy is a Gus fan and a troll. I wouldn’t waste my time on him anymore.

Please follow your own advice.

Well, ya know, this thread just keeps going on and on and on.

Reality is (talking actual numbers) Auburn recruiting is tanking. Coaches are scrambling for even just 3 star players.

Reality is (talking current situation), Harsin and coaches and players gotta step up and make SEC RESPECT the new system/team. I'm on board!  Lets beat some SECW.

Because otherwise, Auburn is seen a now seen as "3 star U" in the SEC West -- i.e. Arkansas, Miss State, etc  -- which translates into ......

Well, you know what that translates into ...... recruiting blech lands.

Yep, it is possible to field good teams with a bunch of 3 star players Kansas State had some really awesome teams. Tubberville had some mean and angry and tough team.

Personally. I would be happy to see a really tough, mean, killerazz defense and a WHOOP1 WHAT WAS THAT! offense.

• Facepalm 2

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Under "horrible coaching", the '20 team finished 6-4 in the SEC with no gimme games

If we are being honest we won two games bc of ref incompetence. 

We were really 4-6. I know that doesn't fit your narrative tho

Edited by W.E.D
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fredst said:

This. He is clearly just doing this to entertain homself as a provocateur. That can be the only explanation for the ludicrous arguments. He has faults but he’s not stupid enough to truly believe what he writes. The only real response is to laugh and try to see the entertainment value in it

Damn freddy you use some big words and a word I do recognize

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn freddy you use some big words and a word I do recognize

Lol, you’d think autocorrect would help me out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

If we are being honest we won two games bc of ref incompetence. 

We were really 4-6. I know that doesn't fit your narrative tho

Gee, I checked three different sources and all three said Auburn finished the regular season 6-4 last year. Maybe you should check the record books?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gee, I checked three different sources and all three said Auburn finished the regular season 6-4 last year. Maybe you should check the record books?

No, we should recognize that we should have lose 6 games if it wasn't for ref incompetence. 

It puts your 9-3 argument in context

Ref incompetence can apply to pretty much any game it’s just toward the end it’s more glaring. In some games it seems Auburn catches no brakes. Especially all the holding on Brown and Davidson. Then in some games they catch a few. I guess it all evens out but I swear holding calls don’t apply to Bama lol

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, e808 said:

Ref incompetence can apply to pretty much any game it’s just toward the end it’s more glaring. In some games it seems Auburn catches no brakes. Especially all the holding on Brown and Davidson. Then I’m some games they catch a few. I guess it all evens out but I swear holding calls don’t apply to Bama lol

Absolutely. The officials even straight up admitted that they didn't call holding if it was Brown getting held because he was too good. 

Some went our way, some went the other way. It evens out.

That said, Virginia double dribbled.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. The officials even straight up admitted that they didn't call holding if it was Brown getting held because he was too good. 

Some went our way, some went the other way. It evens out.

That said, Virginia double dribbled.

And rebounded the ball out of bounds and that should have ended the half. But it didn't. There was more, but I'm old and don't feel like calling my son to dredge up bad memories. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

And rebounded the ball out of bounds and that should have ended the half. But it didn't. There was more, but I'm old and don't feel like calling my son to dredge up bad memories. 

It'll never not hurt. And that's coming from the worst kind of fair weather, new money Auburn hoops fan. Can't imagine what it was and is like for the ride or die A1 Day 1s.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It'll never not hurt. And that's coming from the worst kind of fair weather, new money Auburn hoops fan. Can't imagine what it was and is like for the ride or die A1 Day 1s.

I am a basketball junkie, and an AU fan for life. I remember John Mengelt. Look him up. I really don't need to call my son. Watched the game twice. One call a few minutes in - I was a homer. The rest was pure ref choke BS. I deleted it and will not watch it again. That championship was ours. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yeah it all sounds ...... well , to be honest, it sounds a lot like it always sounds when a new staff takes over.  I've seen it 5 times now and other than when Bowden took over for Dye, it always sounds like this.

• Like 1

It definitely says something good about us that none of our HC hires were that impressive but the last five have found success at some point here.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1