Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Finebum said I’ve interviewed Harsin three times now and he doesn’t exactly have the charm and charisma that lights up the room. He went on to say: I just don’t see him recruiting with the big boys in the SEC.

Harsin strikes me as a guy who doesn't suffer fools very well. Finebaum is the fool of all fools; I imagine he can't stand Harsin, and I expect Harsin could not care less what Finebaum thinks.

Also, you seem to be the only one talking about Gus. Take your own advice.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Harsin strikes me as a guy who doesn't suffer fools very well. Finebaum is the fool of all fools; I imagine he can't stand Harsin, and I expect Harsin could not care less what Finebaum thinks.

Also, you seem to be the only one talking about Gus. Take your own advice.

Good Lord. Some of you are simply too much! I’m talking about the fools that  continue to blame Gus for everything, to include our current 64th ranked recruiting class. Get it now????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Give me a break. Finebaum on recruiting? He's horrible to get that question.

And people are going to take his take on Harsin not having charm and charisma? Does Saban have charm and charisma? Of course not. He came across as all business, work the process, no fun, etc.

His personality in the beginning came across as abbrasive, and still does, to the media like Finebaum...BUT bc he won and has won big, now they look at his personality as part of his 'charisma' to recruits.

Harsin can be who he is...and if he wins....recruits will follow. Period.

He's abrasive to the media, he's always been an elite recruiter and kids love him. Maybe Harsin is a fraction of Saban

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mom2kid said:

Uhhh. Gus had no charm and made tons of stupid faces.  Harsin is sharp in every way and full of charisma.  He comes off like a strong coach and leader focused on football.  And he has a pleasant manner when he speaks. I for one am so proud how he represents AU.  Elephant ears is a jerk.  Saban has n charm.  Give me a break.

He does do a pretty good job of selling AFLAC...as if he needed a side job??!!

Something tells me if Coach Harsin can coach these guys up like I think he can, recruiting will take care of itself. I’m not concerned about a bunch of three stars this year, especially if the staff is good at evaluating talent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Why is it when someone has something positive about Gus he/she is frowned upon. 

Some here happen to like Gus and some of the things he did for this program. Some of the best memories I have involve teams he coached here at Auburn.  

I realize his shortcomings as well as that his offense was dead in the water the last few years.

But, 2013 was a thing of beauty, 2010 was unbelievable. Both were his offense. Beating #1 teams back to back was something I've never seen in my lifetime, prayer in JH, kick six...

So yea, I am grateful for those memories that I can tell my gradnchildren and think about from time to time. And inspite of the last few years of mediocrity, Gus brought this program to heights not seen since 1957. (YEA, I KNOW 2004 AND BO, but 0 Championships). So yeah, I like CGM. And yeah, I support CBH and I hope he can bring this program to the same level and compete with uat, Ga, and the big dogs of college football.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Because the clique has determined that all the cool kids must make derogatory remarks about Gus and anyone who dares say anything nice about him is to be shunned.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Sigh. That's not accurate. Don't be one of those who turns the conversation into this.

• Thanks 1

I bet a year ban that there are more post from anti-Gussers that praise him than there are from Gus-lovers saying anything negative towards him.  

Any takers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I bet a year ban that there are more post from anti-Gussers that praise him than there are from Gus-lovers saying anything negative towards him.  

Any takers?

I'll take that bet, but are we talking all time or over the past year?

The only thing I really come here for now is for recruiting info,

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Any takers?

100% accurate.

Critical thought and objectivity are funny that way.

54 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

I'll take that bet, but are we talking all time or over the past year?

The only thing I really come here for now is for recruiting info,

Think about it before you accept.

Many vocal about the deficiencies in Gus' coaching abilities really liked how he represented and ran the program and said so on multiple occasions. On the other hand, the few that supported Gus to the end...and beyond, chose to ignore the deficiencies in his coaching and therefore rarely, if ever, criticized him or his abilities.

A lot were turned off by the good man and ambassador for Auburn that ran a clean program over the last few years that they have chosen not to return as well. Apathy is hard to shake.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

100% accurate.

Critical thought and objectivity are funny that way.

Being able to separate business and personal is imperative.

Gus was a good man.

Gus struggled to coach with any level of consistency at AU.

Both statements are true. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Gus Bus for a long time, probably longer than I should have been. One reason is because he is such a good man and ran a very clean program. One other thing I always liked about Gus was even when we didn't play well the players never quit and all seemed to like Gus as a person. I loved it when he had success. Because of that success I stayed on the Gus Bus long after we had become mediocre. 

His recruiting based on class rankings was some of the best at Auburn but the inability to recruit O-Line was probably his biggest weakness even when he had good classes the O-Line recruiting was seldom stellar. That is what I think led to his downfall. A strong O-Line can make any O look better than it is. For those who are old enough to remember when Green Bay was dominant they ran a sweep that every opponent knew was coming but they gained yards anyway because they blocked it so well.

Our good years under Gus had very good O-Lines.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Being able to separate business and personal is imperative.

Gus was a good man.

Both statements are true. 

Just like it is possible to be really good at your job and a really 💩y human being. I have no personal knowledge of this but have heard that can happen😏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I was on the Gus Bus for a long time, probably longer than I should have been. One reason is because he is such a good man and ran a very clean program. One other thing I always liked about Gus was even when we didn't play well the players never quit and all seemed to like Gus as a person. I loved it when he had success. Because of that success I stayed on the Gus Bus long after we had become mediocre. 

His recruiting based on class rankings was some of the best at Auburn but the inability to recruit O-Line was probably his biggest weakness even when he had good classes the O-Line recruiting was seldom stellar. That is what I think led to his downfall. A strong O-Line can make any O look better than it is. For those who are old enough to remember when Green Bay was dominant they ran a sweep that every opponent knew was coming but they gained yards anyway because they blocked it so well.

Our good years under Gus had very good O-Lines.

This is me exactly on Gus. Now I’m all CBH but won’t ever bash CGM or make fun of him, or any player for that matter. Not in my nature.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is me exactly on Gus. Now I’m all CBH but won’t ever bash CGM or make fun of him, or any player for that matter. Not in my nature.

We get it, TODD, you're better than all us, gah, do you ever talk about anything except yourself wait how do I do yellow font

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

Think about it before you accept.

Many vocal about the deficiencies in Gus' coaching abilities really liked how he represented and ran the program and said so on multiple occasions. On the other hand, the few that supported Gus to the end...and beyond, chose to ignore the deficiencies in his coaching and therefore rarely, if ever, criticized him or his abilities.

A lot were turned off by the good man and ambassador for Auburn that ran a clean program over the last few years that they have chosen not to return as well. Apathy is hard to shake.

I completely understand and but I dont agree with your point people chose to ignore his deficiencies, I think most of us held out hope that it would click, especially when it did for a few games. 

I was a avid (but only part one of the definition) Gus supporter until the last 2 seasons. It was always that glimmer of hope when he did something special.  The beginning of doubt for me with  Gus was in 2018. He probably should have been let go after a 2nd loosing record in conference play and the then obvious inability to adapt his offense after the league caught up with his offense.

Again, I am very fond of the good memories that Ole Gus gave me over the 10 total season he was with Auburn and that's just the way it is with me.

Still love this forum, just miss the good ole AE days...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

I think most of us held out hope that it would click

I know I did, I defended him until I couldn't any more (2015-16). The problems were too glaring.

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

The beginning of doubt for me with  Gus was in 2018

For me, it was the UGA games in 2015-16, the '16-'17 Clemson, the LSU debacle in 2017, and the worst was the UGA 2017 SECCG. Inexcusable and inexplicable performances

• Like 5

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus was a good man.

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Many vocal about the deficiencies in Gus' coaching abilities really liked how he represented and ran the program and said so on multiple occasions

So many of us wanted to be on the bus but being on the bus and being comfortable on the bus can be entirely different things.

tenor.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I know I did, I defended him until I couldn't any more (2015-16). The problems were too glaring.

For me, it was the UGA games in 2015-16, the '16-'17 Clemson, the LSU debacle in 2017, and the worst was the UGA 2017 SECCG. Inexcusable and inexplicable performances

I was forgiving in ‘15.   The JJ meltdown shocked everyone on the staff.  Looking back, the red flags should have let me know, but I bleed O&B and was hoping for the best.  He shouldn’t have had all his eggs in the JJ for Heisman basket!   (Around the same time Baylor was winning big with a backup WR at QB)

But anyway, I was on the fence from then until the Clemson Whirly Bird Coxcat game.  Anyone who has ever even casually watched a football game should come up with a better game plan than that on their worst day.  I could not believe what I was watching that day.  At that point I knew for sure that Gus was just not going to be able to coach at this level.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I could not believe what I was watching that day.

It was so confusing and yet, not so much

On 7/29/2021 at 9:56 PM, tbone4jc said:

Some here happen to like Gus and some of the things he did for this program. Some of the best memories I have involve teams he coached here at Auburn.  

I realize his shortcomings as well as that his offense was dead in the water the last few years.

But, 2013 was a thing of beauty, 2010 was unbelievable. Both were his offense. Beating #1 teams back to back was something I've never seen in my lifetime, prayer in JH, kick six...

So yea, I am grateful for those memories that I can tell my gradnchildren and think about from time to time. And inspite of the last few years of mediocrity, Gus brought this program to heights not seen since 1957. (YEA, I KNOW 2004 AND BO, but 0 Championships). So yeah, I like CGM. And yeah, I support CBH and I hope he can bring this program to the same level and compete with uat, Ga, and the big dogs of college football.

Amazing how everything you just wrote is backed with exact facts and statistics. Problem is some people just don’t “feel” that way. So they make facts up in their head, to fit the way they “feel” about a given situation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4