Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

Just now, e808 said:

I saw something about the practice maybe more demanding not guys being out of shape. Brown, Lawson, Davidson, Mason , Kj and the list goes on never appeared to be out of shape. For some reason preparations for bowl games were lacking out side of the Natty. However, its a moot point. Lets just see what Harsin does.

Keep in mind also that Harsin also went directly from one program to another. It's not like he was just some guy making random observations. He knew exactly what shape both teams were in at the exact same time. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Kablooey

I need royalty checks in the mail Loof. 😝 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Lets just see what Harsin does.

Agreed. 

And I think it's worth saying that just because Pitman's approach to S&C is clearly more demanding than Russell's, it's yet to be seen if it's better. I think it's going to pay off, but like everything else, let's see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

My take, based on what I've heard and seen, we're trying to bring back a hard ass tough approach. However, we have to be able to code-switch when it comes to recruits

That’s really what this all comes down to. There’s no way that Harsin is a tougher personality (not saying he’s weaker) than Dabo or Nick. They just know how to switch the rhythm up when needed. Hopefully he will learn too 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Agreed. 

And I think it's worth saying that just because Pitman's approach to S&C is clearly more demanding than Russell's, it's yet to be seen if it's better. I think it's going to pay off, but like everything else, let's see.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Agreed.

I mean being in shape, as opposed to out of shape is clearly better, just talking about overall approach. I'm happy with what Harsin is doing and excited to see it translate. 

22 minutes ago, e808 said:

saw something about the practice maybe more demanding not guys being out of shape

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863wu3dz2dijjo2r62e5

I honestly can’t wait to see this guy show out with these players and see the response of some of you , which I am sure will be “we knew it all along.”

Look no further than the Boise Florida State game a couple years ago to know that Pittman and Harsin know what a conditioned team is. A lot of talk after that one that Boise completely wore down FSU in that crazy heat despite having to try and prepare for it in an Idaho climate, whereas FSU practiced in that climate all summer

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I mean being in shape, as opposed to out of shape is clearly better, just talking about overall approach. I'm happy with what Harsin is doing and excited to see it translate. 

I just think this being so blown out of proportion. How was Mason and KJ  were able to carry the ball so much if they were out of shape. They even changed the rule because of Gus Hunh offense.  If things were this bad Auburn shouldnt have won any games or had any draft picks. Also Gus beat Peterson who was Harsin mentor and Harsin himself when he was at Arky State with the out of shape guys

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

I honestly can’t wait to see this guy show out with these players and see the response of some of you , which I am sure will be “we knew it all along.”

I will keep the same energy and just admit if I am wrong. I have no problem with saying it. It will be an interesting fall cant wait.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

I will keep the same energy and just admit if I am wrong. I have no problem with saying it. It will be an interesting fall cant wait.

We will see. I’ve heard that once or twice before.

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

Look no further than the Boise Florida State game a couple years ago to know that Pittman and Harsin know what a conditioned team is. A lot of talk after that one that Boise completely wore down FSU in that crazy heat despite having to try and prepare for it in an Idaho climate, whereas FSU practiced in that climate all summer

Boise can be pretty damn hot in the summer just not himid

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, au302 said:

A counter to that would be was FSU any good that year and Boise was ranked. They have sucked since Jimbo left. They barely beat ULM the following week.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

We will see. I’ve heard that once or twice before.

I have been on the same energy regarding this topic. Nothing wrong with a healthy agree to disagree.

Just now, e808 said:

I have been on the same energy regarding this topic. Nothing wrong with a healthy agree to disagree.

We have been disagreeing this whole time . I didn’t say anything was wrong with it. Back to CBH establishing culture and righting this ship .

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm afraid that actually won't be sinking in. Sorry. Geography and talent concentration and SEC exposure and competition matter way more than you think they do. Also, it seems like you might be a little out of touch with what matters to college athletes. (I'll ignore the silly stuff about metros and the west coast so as to avoid a political conversation.)

Also, did you notice how many of his staff jumped at the chance to move all the way across the country with him? 

You missed my point or I did I poor job making it:

Boise vs MWC and most of the PAC12    in recruiting   as compared to  (for good 3*)

Auburn vs the rest of the SEC and Ohio State and the surrounding ACC programs like Miami and Clem and maybe UNC now   (for high 3* and 4* )

In those two buckets or scenarios - Auburn is harder to recruit AND LAND commitments; that is what I believe.   That is what I was trying to develop and point out.    And personally, would I want to get out of Cali and go live in Boise as a young man for a short period of my life?   Heck yah (disclaimer:  yes I have lived in So Cal and visited Nor Cal a lot   several times).   

As someone eluded to earlier:  you can come to Auburn and win it all and compete for championships.   Auburn has proved that with every single coach since Barfield. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, e808 said:

A counter to that would be was FSU any good that year and Boise was ranked. They have sucked since Jimbo left. They barely beat ULM the following week.

That's true, but like others have said, the players themselves are talking about it. When Harsin first got hired and we heard this stuff, I too was surprised. I always knew we were really small and weak, but I thought it was because Russell emphasized cardio at the cost of size. Turns out we were bad at that too. Guys couldn't even finish Harsin's sprint drills when he took over. You're right about having to wait till the fall to see how it translates

• Thanks 1

My last take is what did Harsin build at Boise was the foundation not there. Did he take over a dumpster fire or was everything in was. Did Boise exceed expectations and were new year six bowls every year or just average on a national scale. Again Boise was the cream of the crop before him and will be after him. The jury is still out on whats gonna happen at Auburn because the last team he took over after Gus he didnt do so well.

42 minutes ago, au302 said:

Watched that game twice since Harsin arrived. FSU had far superior athletes but Boise wore them out on their home field. It was beautiful. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Not sure I agree with this. When Harsin was at Boise, all those teams in his conference were fighting for the good 3* guys. None of them could get the 4*s or maybe even the 'best' 3* players. He just did a better job of developing and probably running his offense/defense successfully too.

Auburn SHOULD be able to pull in  the best 3*s and many in the range of low to high 4*s bc they ARE in the SEC, better exposure, Auburn HAS a legacy of winning it all, and should continue to have a better chance of winning it all, and going to a great bowl game. Our history shows we don't get many years when we get more than 2 5* players and most of the time we get 1 or zero. 

Harsin has to get mostly 4s and a lot of high 3s for now, along with his ability to win on the field too, and that will work. THEN he will have a shot at more 5*s bc of 'culture' and 'attitude' and 'performance on the field'. 

The questions that are popping up for now are simply are his recruiting tactics and messaging too 'working attitude' heavy.

Right, we should be in the thick of it for kids ranked between 100 and 300 for the 4* kids and then the top 3* kids.  Seems like we have a few good 4* kids lining up and hopefully more follows.

Look forward to see how the adjustment impacts players and the "fun" with BIg Cat.  You can't not have fun.  Even the schools dominating have a little fun.  That's OK

1 hour ago, DAG said:

All I know is I’ve seen enough of our team get pushed around by the UCFs, Minnesota and Northwestern of the world. I want physically , mentally strong team , who goes 100 during the game . 

Gus kept the Boat racing conditioning when all the boat racing stopped.

• Haha 1