Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

24 minutes ago, e808 said:

My last take is what did Harsin build at Boise was the foundation not there. Did he take over a dumpster fire or was everything in was. Did Boise exceed expectations and were new year six bowls every year or just average on a national scale. Again Boise was the cream of the crop before him and will be after him. The jury is still out on whats gonna happen at Auburn because the last team he took over after Gus he didnt do so well.

You can't be at a school for 7 years and just maintain it if you're terrible.  It'll eventually fall apart.

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You can't be at a school for 7 years and just maintain it if you're terrible.  It'll eventually fall apart.

He wasnt terrible but did not spectacular. Boise brand has been good for a while . He can be average and win the Mountain West and before that the WAC. There was only one at most two teams that would challenge them yearly. We can visit this convo three years from now and the guy replacing him will enjoy the same success. This is the real challenge not necessarily starting from the ground but definitely not at the top.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

You missed my point or I did I poor job making it:

Boise vs MWC and most of the PAC12    in recruiting   as compared to  (for good 3*)

Auburn vs the rest of the SEC and Ohio State and the surrounding ACC programs like Miami and Clem and maybe UNC now   (for high 3* and 4* )

In those two buckets or scenarios - Auburn is harder to recruit AND LAND commitments; that is what I believe.   That is what I was trying to develop and point out.    And personally, would I want to get out of Cali and go live in Boise as a young man for a short period of my life?   Heck yah (disclaimer:  yes I have lived in So Cal and visited Nor Cal a lot   several times).   

As someone eluded to earlier:  you can come to Auburn and win it all and compete for championships.   Auburn has proved that with every single coach since Barfield. 

Very civil response. Certainly moreso than I deserved. I don't agree, but I respect your opinion and your delivery.

1 hour ago, e808 said:

He wasnt terrible but did not spectacular. Boise brand has been good for a while . He can be average and win the Mountain West and before that the WAC. There was only one at most two teams that would challenge them yearly. We can visit this convo three years from now and the guy replacing him will enjoy the same success. This is the real challenge not necessarily starting from the ground but definitely not at the top.

Did not know that . Thanks 

1 hour ago, e808 said:

They went to a harder conference and he kept it going for 7 years.  

Also Gus took over an already built , senior laden Arkansas state team for one year that Hugh freeze built. He had a senior QB in Ryan Aplin , who was well experience by his senior year . He has never shown he could maintain anything, something at the very least CBH has did, if we going to be forreal. If you are going to make the point at least tell the whole truth . Let’s not act like those two had the same type of team.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

has did? pass that fireweed over and share with a brother..........

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also Gus took over an already built , senior laden Arkansas state team for one year that Hugh freeze built. He has never shown he could maintain anything, something at the very least CBH has did, if we going to be forreal. If you are going to make the point at least tell the whole truth .

Guy has track record for success.  That doesn't mean he's automatically going to win us 11 games a season, but Boise was his program.  He had full cycles of kids and still won.  If you're not a good coach that falls off.  It's happened when every great coach has left a school.  The next could couldn't maintain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e808 said:

My last take is what did Harsin build at Boise was the foundation not there. Did he take over a dumpster fire or was everything in was. Did Boise exceed expectations and were new year six bowls every year or just average on a national scale. Again Boise was the cream of the crop before him and will be after him. The jury is still out on whats gonna happen at Auburn because the last team he took over after Gus he didnt do so well.

So there's a lot that's super wrong about this, but I'll just focus on one thing, which @DAG alluded to: Malzahn's senior quarterback threw over 400 passes in 2012. Please investigate how many passes his backups threw and then ask yourself if Harsin winning a share of his conference title- with two of his five losses coming to SEC teams- was truly "not doing so well".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I honestly can’t wait to see this guy show out with these players and see the response of some of you , which I am sure will be “we knew it all along.”

when harsin said he wanted a chance to win natty's i was sold. i bet he has better coaches with him now and everyone loves his plan and how detailed it is. and i have friends keep telling me our d will be badass this year. i read somewhere on tigerland and posted it that steel had his worst d last year. but surely most folks can see the improvement in the coaches harsin has brought in. i guess i wrote this mini novel to say i think he is going to do well. run that ball and d. and they say the running game will be awesome because it is back friendly and we do have some studs. run the ball. destroy on defense. pass just enough to keep em honest. i think we will be rocking along nicely.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Guy has track record for success.  That doesn't mean he's automatically going to win us 11 games a season, but Boise was his program.  He had full cycles of kids and still won.  If you're not a good coach that falls off.  It's happened when every great coach has left a school.  The next could couldn't maintain.

Exactly . I am not saying he is going to win us the NC next year but don’t try to discredit the guy. He won with his own recruits. He showed stability . He showed he can be a QB developer and was the OC for Chris Peterson. He won’t be perfect but I think he has a lot more experience of success than our two previous HCs when they took over.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Harsin was at Boise as a coach when Hawkins took over to start Boise's run. Peterson was the OC and eventually the head coach while Harsin became the OC iirc. He left to be OC at Texas then head coach at Arkansas ST which like you say wasnt as good of a year as the previous two coaches Freeze and Malzahn. However, he was breaking in a new QB after Freeze and Malzahn had the luxury of having Ryan Aplin (sp) whom followed Malzahn to Auburn as a grad assistant in 13.

Im still not sold on his stint as Ark ST head coach, dont forget, the year Auburn played them in 13 they got two penalties for not wearing a uniform with visible numbers. That was a bad coaching decision. It was pretty embarrassing and the first thing I thought of when Auburn announced him as head coach. 7 years passed since then and I dont expect a mistake like that again.

One thing we do have going for us is look how much better Arkansas got after Chad Morris left.

1 hour ago, e808 said:

True the WAC and Mountain West wasnt the best of competition but Boise also played and won against several PAC12 teams including Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, BYU (IND) while Harsin was head coach.

Edited by AU80cruiser
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Im still not sold on his stint as Ark ST head coach, dont forget, the year Auburn played them in 13 they got two penalties for not wearing a uniform with visible numbers. That was a bad coaching decision

That's a little extreme. He's letting his kids have fun 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So there's a lot that's super wrong about this, but I'll just focus on one thing, which @DAG alluded to: Malzahn's senior quarterback threw over 400 passes in 2012. Please investigate how many passes his backups threw and then ask yourself if Harsin winning a share of his conference title- with two of his five losses coming to SEC teams- was truly "not doing so well".

We will see. If I am wrong I am wrong. There are no powerhouses in the Mountain West. Name two teams that u hear about constantly in the Mountain West or when they were in the WAC outside of Boise. Hawaii hasnt been good since June Jones left. San Jose had a decent team this year and won the conference. The Bosie State brand has been a constant for mid majors like North Dakota St has. 

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's a little extreme. He's letting his kids have fun 

Extreme? His team received two penalties of 15 yards for a uniform that was against the rules. Auburn was coming off a 3 win season and just barely beat Washington St. You would think Ark ST would smell blood in the water coming into that game. I thought it was a bad sign for Ark ST at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Also Gus took over an already built , senior laden Arkansas state team for one year that Hugh freeze built. He had a senior QB in Ryan Aplin , who was well experience by his senior year . He has never shown he could maintain anything, something at the very least CBH has did, if we going to be forreal. If you are going to make the point at least tell the whole truth . Let’s not act like those two had the same type of team.

I could say u tell the entire truth. One maintained at a mid major that was already loaded and the other took over a P5 that was rock bottom and in the toughest division.  So that maintain stuff dont hold water.  Harsin has done anything on a bigger stage all u have to harp on is Gus short comings and guess what he was at Auburn 8 years whether u loved him or hated. All I know it will be showtime in a few more weeks. Lets see what happens.

It crazy how so much vitriol is for the former coach. Did he screw up. Absolutely. However, he did some good things as well as bad things. I understand get behind the new coach but its like Harsin is Saban 2.0 and hasnt coached one game yet at Auburn. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

Name two teams that u hear about constantly in the Mountain West or when they were in the WAC outside of Boise.

Um, I have no idea why I'd try.

It wasn't that our players were out of shape.  It was that they were not in elite shape.  It is what separates greatness.  When fatigue sets in, so does a decrease in decision making and execution.  Mental mistakes were common with our past teams and I am not saying conditioning was the factor but I do believe it played a factor.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It wasn't that our players were out of shape.  It was that they were not in elite shape.  It is what separates greatness.  When fatigue sets in, so does a decrease in decision making and execution.  Mental mistakes were common with our past teams and I am not saying conditioning was the factor but I do believe it played a factor.

Hmmm, I would be interested to hear from past Auburn transfers on how the workouts compared to other schools. People like Grant, Matthew, Nick, and Prosch.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I mean...the floor for Auburn under Gus was the ceiling for Auburn between 2008-2012, outside of the year where Gene had the best QB of all time. Gus produced a year almost as good as 2010 with offensive players he recruited

I don't know what argument you can really make that Gus didn't outperform the previous regime 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

It crazy how so much vitriol is for the former coach. Did he screw up. Absolutely. However, he did some good things as well as bad things. I understand get behind the new coach but its like Harsin is Saban 2.0 and hasnt coached one game yet at Auburn. 

You are going against the clique. Say anything nice about the former coach once and you'll only be mildly scolded. Say two or three nice things and you will be joining me on the S-list.

Mention the great call on the Kick Six and several will pounce with unsubstantiated BS about how some assistant coach called that. Mention the '19 Iron Bowl, particularly the end of the first half and the end of the game and they'll say it was luck. Mention beating #1 UGA and #1 UAT both in the space of three weeks and they'll try to move the topic to the SEC game.

My only question (not that I care) is how many years Gus will continue to mess around inside these guy's heads. Me, I never think about him until I come here and see another obsessed poster make a disparaging remark about Gus, a guy who has reached the pinnacle of his chosen profession. That's a level the haters won't ever see, no matter what their career is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Thinking about this Bama is on a run like no other, Georgia is a recruiting machine, Lsu has been dominate and Tamu is on the rise. Through all the bad coaching and alleged out of shape guys he never had a losing record. Also, if he was the head coach this year I believe we beat Bama again. Lastly maybe the strength and conditioning philosophies are different . If u are out of shape how do u keep up with the Johnny Footballs and hold down the high power LSU offense with out of shape guys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You are going against the clique. Say anything nice about the former coach once and you'll only be mildly scolded. Say two or three nice things and you will be joining me on the S-list.

Mention the great call on the Kick Six and several will pounce with unsubstantiated BS about how some assistant coach called that. Mention the '19 Iron Bowl, particularly the end of the first half and the end of the game and they'll say it was luck. Mention beating #1 UGA and #1 UAT both in the space of three weeks and they'll try to move the topic to the SEC game.

My only question (not that I care) is how many years Gus will continue to mess around inside these guy's heads. Me, I never think about him until I come here and see another obsessed poster make a disparaging remark about Gus, a guy who has reached the pinnacle of his chosen profession. That's a level the haters won't ever see, no matter what their career is.

I mean listening to all the negatives how did he make it 8 years at Auburn. IMO, the only team that really was a problem was Georgia. I truly believe this year he would have turned it around. He didnt handle things well during COVID for whatever reason. Oh well, lets see what happens this fall.

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Oh well, lets see what happens this fall.

I'm hoping and expecting a satisfactory year. The cupboard wasn't left bare. Veteran QB, veteran RB, experienced O-line which hopefully won't suffer the rash of injuries they had last year. The defense should be sound if the backup LB's develop a bit and some of the DB transfers pan out. I'd  consider fewer than nine wins a disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1