Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd  consider fewer than nine wins a disappointment.

Just wondering which three are the 'acceptable' losses (rhetorical question). 

And the other 9  are must wins to avoid a 'disappointing' season (75%).    Our  last coach called 6-4   "solid" and we finished 6-5 (55%).  Ironic how 75% wasn't disappointing to him.   60% wasn't even disappointing to him...but, hey, it was COVID and we missed Spring ball and we didn't get to play UNC  or some cupcake.

Yeah, new staff, new scheme, new playbook, new routines....they should  nail 9 wins or it's a disappointment?       I think there are a lot of factors at play to consider before I deem any season a disappointment or success.  That's just me.

For those curious minds, Auburn's sched ranks as the second most difficult schedule in the nation...(247)

I am wondering out loud which are the only acceptable losses.  

• I know of at least 4, probably 5 programs that we face in which have out recruited us for several years,
  • All have continuity at the HC level and
  • 3 of them have been the playoffs in the last 2 or 3 yrs. 
  • Now the 2 that have not been in the playoffs - we play them at their place (road games)...
  • Hence,  I suspect we will be the underdog in those 5 games for sure, but that is a guess - I don't bet on such.   (edit:  those are 5 pretty high hurdles for a top 5 program, which we are not; I suspect you give ANY elite coach those conditions, he may win  2 of them, if he gets a little lucky).  Is Harsin 'elite'?   I don't know.  We will see.

It doesn't appear that we are holding both coaches to the same standard.    But that is ok,  we can all have our opinions and expectations.    And we look at things differently.  

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I mean...the floor for Auburn under Gus was the ceiling for Auburn between 2008-2012, outside of the year where Gene had the best QB of all time. Gus produced a year almost as good as 2010 with offensive players he recruited

I don't know what argument you can really make that Gus didn't outperform the previous regime 

So next time you post make sure you understand what you are responded to . The dude was comparing CBH Arkansas State team to Gus’s Arkansas state team. Gus had a much more talented and experienced team with a senior QBS. CBH did not . This has nothing to do with Auburn . 

Edited by DAG

8 hours ago, e808 said:

I could say u tell the entire truth. One maintained at a mid major that was already loaded and the other took over a P5 that was rock bottom and in the toughest division.  So that maintain stuff dont hold water.  Harsin has done anything on a bigger stage all u have to harp on is Gus short comings and guess what he was at Auburn 8 years whether u loved him or hated. All I know it will be showtime in a few more weeks. Lets see what happens.

What are you even talking about? Can you post coherently. You slowly just exposed yourself. Comparing the two Arkansas State teams between Gus and CBH would be like comparing the 2010 Auburn team to the 2011 Auburn team. It’s a silly comparison . Those two teams aren’t in the same stratosphere. So if you are going to make an example at least post with some context 

2. You are downplaying CBH resume when I accurately said he maintained a program something Gus malzahn never could do. Gus Malzahn failed here. CBH didn’t fail at his previous regime . So yes it does hold water and hurt your feelings that I said that about your Gus. Gus has to prove he can maintain something with HIS OWN RECRUITS and WITH HIS OWN QB for once. And guess what ?! He doesn’t have the luxury of being at Auburn. Auburn plays in one of the toughest conference . To offset that, they get to be around a lot of talent. Can’t wait to see what CBH can do with more talent at his disposal. So yes, it will be interesting to see where CBH is and where Gus is in three to four hearsay.

3. CGM didn’t just take over a random team. He took over a team HE ALREADY had knowledge off, who he was one year removed  from And had won a NC three years prior. People forget in 2011, this team also was very inconsistent offensively, But they were loading with talent. I give Gus credit he found NM and plugged him in there. But yet again , when he finally got all of his own players he could not MAINTAIN. Again something CBH has actually done. I have no problem giving Gus credit but I am not going to sit here and act like Gus landed on a team with Vandy talent. Between him and Gene chizik, they absolutely failed with a lot of talent under their disposal. You can be upset all you like but two big things I like about CBH. He maintained at a previous school and he has proven he can mold and develop his own QB  This is something the previous coach has no proven record of doing. Can you disprove that ?

But I see I have unlocked Mikey 2.0

Edited by DAG
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, e808 said:

I mean listening to all the negatives how did he make it 8 years at Auburn. 

Oh, that's easy. His 5th year was going to be his last, but he had a miracle November and the sitting school president rewarded him with an absurd contract that made him impossible to fire until this past December. (Said president even got fired before Gus did, and many still question the fiscal wisdom of firing Gus.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Extreme? His team received two penalties of 15 yards for a uniform that was against the rules. Auburn was coming off a 3 win season and just barely beat Washington St. You would think Ark ST would smell blood in the water coming into that game. I thought it was a bad sign for Ark ST at the time.

There was no blood in the water. We demolished them. It's nit a big deal

9 hours ago, e808 said:

It crazy how so much vitriol is for the former coach. Did he screw up. Absolutely. However, he did some good things as well as bad things. I understand get behind the new coach but its like Harsin is Saban 2.0 and hasnt coached one game yet at Auburn. 

Glad you've come our as a Gus apologist. It was pretty obvious 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm hoping and expecting a satisfactory year. The cupboard wasn't left bare. Veteran QB, veteran RB, experienced O-line which hopefully won't suffer the rash of injuries they had last year. The defense should be sound if the backup LB's develop a bit and some of the DB transfers pan out. I'd  consider fewer than nine wins a disappointment.

I'd hope so, but your boy is coming off a 6 win season. 

Pretending 9 wins is the floor is a bit ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd hope so, but your boy is coming off a 6 win season. 

Pretending 9 wins is the floor is a bit ridiculous 

Don’t fall into his trap . This is the same guy who never held Gus to that standard and win we would win our standard 8 games would say that fits to where Auburn is in the recruiting rankings. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Yeah, ok.  Penn State, Texas A&M and LSU on the road plus Bama and Georgia on the schedule.  Question marks on both lines.  Installing a real offense to guys who have not had to learn how one works, yet.  Do you ever take the clown costume off these days?

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don’t fall into his trap . This is the same guy who never held Gus to that standard and win we would win our standard 8 games would say that fits to where Auburn is in the recruiting rankings. 

s*** is beyond ridiculous.  Projecting 9 wins minimum just so they can bash the coach is peak Gus apologist. 

I believe they are correct that it isn't a full rebuild and we have some talent on or rosters. But our schedule is ridiculously tough. If Harsin wins 9 games he should be COY

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

There was no blood in the water. We demolished them. It's nit a big deal

Right but he didnt know that coming into the game. Also, if his attitude was, "Welp, we have no chance might as well have fun" Then that would be an even bigger strike against him. However, I dont believe Harsin is that kind of coach.

When I said earlier "the first thing came to mind was that bad coaching decision" had a lot to do with me not following Boise football after Harsin became their head coach. I researched Boise's record after Harsin was hired. I like what I saw.

29 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

When I said earlier "the first thing came to mind was that bad coaching decision" had a lot to do with me not following Boise football after Harsin became their head coach.

That's ridiculous

35 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Right but he didnt know that coming into the game. Also, if his attitude was, "Welp, we have no chance might as well have fun" Then that would be an even bigger strike against him. However, I dont believe Harsin is that kind of coach.

When I said earlier "the first thing came to mind was that bad coaching decision" had a lot to do with me not following Boise football after Harsin became their head coach. I researched Boise's record after Harsin was hired. I like what I saw.

personal anecdote: 

I think that was the game Ark State wore gray uniforms with a dark number.    If I am right,  and I think I am, I saw that play out with my son's football team.   They bought Nike uniforms and the same thing: gray uniform with dark purple numbers.  They looked pretty BA, but during warm ups, the head official told the HC they wouldn't fly because there wasn't enough contrast to identify the players. 

Well you could, but maybe not as easily as normal.   This was the same year and I suspect Nike ate a bunch of those uniforms.   We got 50% credit and used them as practice and Spring game uniforms. 

That game was early on in the season, and I bet Harsin was caught off guard, just as my son's team was.  Not much you can do on the road during warm ups...and one would think Nike would not sell you a uniform that would cause an officiating problem, but they apparently sold a bunch that year.

Edited by Beaker
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Bingo. He literally picked a number one higher than what he expected from the last guy. Completely arbitrary with respect to the schedule. Clowns gon clown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bingo. He literally picked a number one higher than what he expected from the last guy. Completely arbitrary with respect to the schedule. Clowns gon clown.

Careful. You’re about to be called out about being obsessed with the previous coach because you keep bringing him up instead of being a true Auburn man and supporting our current coach. You’re walking a fine line here buster….

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

What are you even talking about? Can you post coherently. You slowly just exposed yourself. Comparing the two Arkansas State teams between Gus and CBH would be like comparing the 2010 Auburn team to the 2011 Auburn team. It’s a silly comparison . Those two teams aren’t in the same stratosphere. So if you are going to make an example at least post with some context 

2. You are downplaying CBH resume when I accurately said he maintained a program something Gus malzahn never could do. Gus Malzahn failed here. CBH didn’t fail at his previous regime . So yes it does hold water and hurt your feelings that I said that about your Gus. Gus has to prove he can maintain something with HIS OWN RECRUITS and WITH HIS OWN QB for once. And guess what ?! He doesn’t have the luxury of being at Auburn. Auburn plays in one of the toughest conference . To offset that, they get to be around a lot of talent. Can’t wait to see what CBH can do with more talent at his disposal. So yes, it will be interesting to see where CBH is and where Gus is in three to four hearsay.

3. CGM didn’t just take over a random team. He took over a team HE ALREADY had knowledge off, who he was one year removed  from And had won a NC three years prior. People forget in 2011, this team also was very inconsistent offensively, But they were loading with talent. I give Gus credit he found NM and plugged him in there. But yet again , when he finally got all of his own players he could not MAINTAIN. Again something CBH has actually done. I have no problem giving Gus credit but I am not going to sit here and act like Gus landed on a team with Vandy talent. Between him and Gene chizik, they absolutely failed with a lot of talent under their disposal. You can be upset all you like but two big things I like about CBH. He maintained at a previous school and he has proven he can mold and develop his own QB  This is something the previous coach has no proven record of doing. Can you disprove that ?

But I see I have unlocked Mikey 2.0

Just because my opinion differs from yours . I am dumb, stupid incoherent whatever u want to say. I didnt say Harsin was bad I think he is average while u acting like he is some football god coming through the door. I dont give a crap about what his resume says. That why u have a references . Boise State SOS in a good year probably top 100 while Auburns is top 5. Also I watched Hawkins, Peterson and Harsin teams play in person. From my personal observation wasnt nothing special. Most are just looking at statistics but dont know the level of competition that was played. Yes, he beat the teams he was supposed to beat I will say that. At the same time not gonna act like Boise was beating highly rated TEAMS either. So u can talk all the trash and belittle as much as u want I saw what I saw. 

This is sad just because someone has a difference of opinion they have to be stupid. Feel free though with the name calling it wont change my opinion. If I am wrong I can man up.

Gus probably got more money than he should have but he did beat two #1 teams. Luck whatever u want to call it that happened. The man wasnt the greatest but the SEC at least the top portion is much more of a juggernaut during his coaching era than any other. Now its Harsins chance to see what he can do.

• Facepalm 1

I don't really give a crap about wins and losses this coming year.  What I would like to see is a team that actually appears to improve on the field throughout the year and have some sort of identity.  If that's the case the wins and losses will take care of themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Crazy to me that there are people that actually wanted 1 more year of Gus. He was the definition of an average coach. 2 great seasons and 6 average to below average seasons. And in 1 of his great seasons he blew the LSU game which should have been our first win there in like 30 years. Some also say he blew the FL State game......it was a bad loss but i don't think it falls into the "blown" category. Just another good team that adjusted better after halftime. LSU was a choke job......was it every first down after halftime was a run up the middle? Crazy stuff right there. 

I can understand the hesitation about Harsin. No one knows how he is going to work out. There have been sooo many coaching hires that i thought were going to be great and they did not work out. 

I was surprised he was fired in a covid season with the huge buy out. But i certainly didn't need to see another season to know he was an average coach and i was ready to see if AU could upgrade to something more than an average coach.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, McLoofus said:

Also, lol at the idea that Harsin's brand and all the family stuff are mutually exclusive. There are so many who still hang onto that "family vs business" soft serve baby crap and it's so embarrassing. It's something that fans of a mediocre team tell themselves to feel better about being fans of a mediocre team.  Good news, dorks. You don't have to keep apologizing for those guys. You get to demand excellence from the new guy. And then the next guy after that. All of us who are excited about this hire sure are. If he isn't the guy, we'll be among the first to say it.

I assume this is in response to what I posted.  I don’t think it is bad or embarrassing to want a business and family approach at the same time, similar to what Dabo has accomplished.  It doesn’t have to be one or the other.  You can have both and be successful.

32 minutes ago, e808 said:

. I am dumb,

Didn't say you were dumb

33 minutes ago, e808 said:

acting like he is some football god

Inaccurate. Never once said that

33 minutes ago, e808 said:

I dont give a crap about what his resume says.

Then how can you have an opinion on anything if you are just going to be ignorant 

34 minutes ago, e808 said:

From my personal observation wasnt nothing special.

That is the problem you are opinion based. I am trying to stick to the facts. Your opinion is clearly affecting your ability to engage in objective speech

35 minutes ago, e808 said:

Yes, he beat the teams he was supposed to beat I will say that.

Another reason why Gus got fired. He did beat Bama (Which is a great feat). However, inconsistent in beating teams he should beat, terrible in bowl games and abysmal record against quality opponents. 

37 minutes ago, e808 said:

they have to be stupid.

Didn't call you stupid. Do you know what coherent means? You have no logic based on your premises and now I understand why

38 minutes ago, e808 said:

Boise State SOS in a good year probably top 100 while Auburns is top 5

Agreed? What point are you making?

38 minutes ago, e808 said:

I saw what I saw. 

See above. Opinion versus facts

39 minutes ago, e808 said:

Gus probably got more money than he should have but he did beat two #1 teams.

What does this have to do with anything? I never once said anything about this course of events

Again, Has Gus proven to hold stability in a program? Has Gus proven to recruit his own QB and develop them? Can you answer those questions, because CBH was able to do that and that is important IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I assume this is in response to what I posted.  I don’t think it is bad or embarrassing to want a business and family approach at the same time, similar to what Dabo has accomplished.  It doesn’t have to be one or the other.  You can have both and be successful.

Dabo didn't do that overnight. He also did a lot of changing once he was head coach and established his own culture, countertuitive to what Clemson was use to. It took years for Dabo to get Clemson where they are at now. Heck, I remember a few years ago where our fans used to laugh at Clemson and call them "Auburn with a lake." My how times have changed. You also can be no nonsense and successful. See the greatest coach in the NFL and the greatest coach in CFB for reference.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Crazy to me that there are people that actually wanted 1 more year of Gus. He was the definition of an average coach. 2 great seasons and 6 average to below average seasons. And in 1 of his great seasons he blew the LSU game which should have been our first win there in like 30 years. Some also say he blew the FL State game......it was a bad loss but i don't think it falls into the "blown" category. Just another good team that adjusted better after halftime. LSU was a choke job......was it every first down after halftime was a run up the middle? Crazy stuff right there. 

I can understand the hesitation about Harsin. No one knows how he is going to work out. There have been sooo many coaching hires that i thought were going to be great and they did not work out. 

I was surprised he was fired in a covid season with the huge buy out. But i certainly didn't need to see another season to know he was an average coach and i was ready to see if AU could upgrade to something more than an average coach.

I am guilty of the one more year being that COVID was so disruptive. Correct me if I am wrong there were a few guys that chose to sit out because of it. COVID even disrupted the pros. One more year to see what happens with a little more normalcy and if nothing else lessen the buy out. Nonetheless, out with the old and in with the new.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Dabo didn't do that overnight. He also did a lot of changing once he was head coach and established his own culture, countertuitive to what Clemson was use to. It took years for Dabo to get Clemson where they are at now. Heck, I remember a few years ago where our fans used to laugh at Clemson and call them "Auburn with a lake." My how times have changed. You also can be no nonsense and successful. See the greatest coach in the NFL and the greatest coach in CFB for reference.

Oh I agree and I am fully willing to give Harsin time.  I am just simply saying we can have both.  It doesn’t have to be one or the other.  I interpreted from what the OP said that Harsin may have thought it has to be one or the other.  There can be harmony in the middle.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Again, Has Gus proven to hold stability in a program? Has Gus proven to recruit his own QB and develop them? Can you answer those questions, because CBH was able to do that and that is important IMO.

This is an apples to oranges comparison. Harsin went to a mid major that was already the cream of the crop before he got there. Boise has been a big fish in a small pond for a while now. This program stability came via TEAMS that were top 50 if u lucky. Thus Harsin himself wanted to leave to be challenged. The next coach will probably have the same success.  Now compare that to Gus at a Power 5 school loaded with highly ranked teams there is no comparison. I get it Gus wasnt the greatest but he wasnt the worst either.

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

See above. Opinion versus facts

Which is more of a fact something u seen in person and personally observed on the field or something u heard. U are arguing the fact for stability. Boise is to good for the conference they are in and too small of a market for the bigger conference. So my first hand personal experience skews my ability to give an opinion roger that. Nothing else left to say. U seem to be the gatekeeper here. Difference of opinions are not a lot. Aloha

• Like 1