Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Are other Auburn fans upset that we are supportive of our current coach and want to give him the benefit of a doubt ? Some of you guys got a terrible reading comprehension or you really aren’t happy with the CBH hire and it is showing ?

None of us have said this guy will be as successful as Nick Saban or having a better record than Gus as a HC, etc. if you can, find it and quote it. I do like the no nonsense approach because it resembles the method of two of the greatest coaches. If he wins , he will look amazing . If he losses , he will look like a fool. This thread got thrown way out of wack because there are a few who have more pride in defending Gus versus refuting the no nonsense component  of coaching 

We know from reading this site and commenting back and forth that there are fans of Gus who didn't think he needed to be fired. That's fine. It is what it is. But now we need to focus on this HC and his program.

What we know for now is that Gus' background and Harsin's background before coming to Auburn are nothing alike, so we can't really compare them.

All we can do now is over the next 4-5 years is see if Harsin can put a better and successful team ON the field with his offense/defenses, and maintain at least the same type of recruiting success Gus had here mostly over his 8 years.

Any other comparison is futile for now IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Are other Auburn fans upset that we are supportive of our current coach and want to give him the benefit of a doubt ? Some of you guys got a terrible reading comprehension or you really aren’t happy with the CBH hire and it is showing ?

None of us have said this guy will be as successful as Nick Saban or having a better record than Gus as a HC, etc. if you can, find it and quote it. I do like the no nonsense approach because it resembles the method of two of the greatest coaches. If he wins , he will look amazing . If he losses , he will look like a fool. This thread got thrown way out of wack because there are a few who have more pride in defending Gus versus refuting the no nonsense component  of coaching 

Regarding your question of other Auburn fans, I haven't had a chance to take a survey or interview Auburn fans. Secondly, I see u like to use subliminal, undertone, and insults to try and make your point. I never said anything about being unhappy with Harsin. I said he was average. This was based on what I observed from watching the games in person (keywords I observed).  Not watching on youtube or looking at some stats.

Again u stated something to the affect of my opinion was off.  Which is absolutely fine. Harsin handled business in the WAC/MWC as he should. IIts also true that he had a great winning percentage, but lets not pretend he racked those wins up over highly ranked TEAMS. Its crazy people just cant be civil and have a difference of opinion. Oh well, its the internet. When there is nothing constructive to say start throwing insults. 

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We know from reading this site and commenting back and forth that there are fans of Gus who didn't think he needed to be fired. That's fine. It is what it is. But now we need to focus on this HC and his program.

What we know for now is that Gus' background and Harsin's background before coming to Auburn are nothing alike, so we can't really compare them.

All we can do now is over the next 4-5 years is see if Harsin can put a better and successful team ON the field with his offense/defenses, and maintain at least the same type of recruiting success Gus had here mostly over his 8 years.

Any other comparison is futile for now IMO. 

Well said!!

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

Regarding your question of other Auburn fans, I haven't had a chance to take a survey or interview Auburn fans. Secondly, I see u like to use subliminal, undertone, and insults to try and make your point. I never said anything about being unhappy with Harsin. I said he was average. This was based on what I observed from watching the games in person (keywords I observed).  Not watching on youtube or looking at some stats.

Again u stated something to the affect of my opinion was off.  Which is absolutely fine. Harsin handled business in the WAC/MWC as he should. IIts also true that he had a great winning percentage, but lets not pretend he racked those wins up over highly ranked TEAMS. Its crazy people just cant be civil and have a difference of opinion. Oh well, its the internet. When there is nothing constructive to say start throwing insults. 

Subliminal ? Lol. I have already said you have embarrassed yourself and cannot make a coherent point. There is no point in me debating you anymore. You have stretched the truth enough. I don’t want to waste my time with an individual like yourself .

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

Subliminal ? Lol. I have already said you have embarrassed yourself and cannot make a coherent point. There is no point in me debating you anymore. You have stretched the truth enough. I don’t want to waste my time with an individual like yourself .

An individual like myself huh. That can be easily fixed. I am a small youtuber with about 7k subscribers on one channel and 500 on the other. I can give u the channel name so u can subscribe. lol

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Gus trended down every season from 2014. All bc of himself 

Even if I ignored that he had multiple seasons that featured more wins than 2014, which is the complete opposite of “trending down” (plot it on a chart if you want to), that still does little to refute what I initially said. The guy won a good amount of ranked games after 2014. His final record (there’s no other coach in the history of this program that gets their initial two years ignored for the sake of agenda pushing) has comparable winning percentages to some of the best this program has had, whilst having a harder job than any of them.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yes. We have a long history of coaches going down in flames and ruining themselves. 

Gus bc others did it doesn't mean we can't point out Gus did it too

you can point out, I would just assume it’d be pointed out during an argument where thats semi relevant. It had absolutely nothing to do with any part of my post 

13 hours ago, DAG said:

Well this conversation was about Gus. Would it make you feel better if we applied that to tubs and chizik too because we can

I don’t think you understood that the argument I was positioning is different than whatever argument you have been having lol 

18 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Even if I ignored that he had multiple seasons that featured more wins than 2014, which is the complete opposite of “trending down” (plot it on a chart if you want to), that still does little to refute what I initially said. The guy won a good amount of ranked games after 2014. His final record (there’s no other coach in the history of this program that gets their initial two years ignored for the sake of agenda pushing) has comparable winning percentages to some of the best this program has had, whilst having a harder job than any of them.

Seems like you wish Gus still had his job and you just want to give excuses.  "It's hard" "Well he beat Bama on multiple extremely lucky occasions"

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think you understood that the argument I was positioning is different than whatever argument you have been having lol 

I don’t think you understand your own argument

2 hours ago, e808 said:

An individual like myself huh. That can be easily fixed. I am a small youtuber with about 7k subscribers on one channel and 500 on the other. I can give u the channel name so u can subscribe. lol

What? Lol. Who cares? 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems like you wish Gus still had his job and you just want to give excuses.  "It's hard" "Well he beat Bama on multiple extremely lucky occasions"

You have to be the worst at arguing on this board

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t think you understand your own argument

I said Gus inherited a program that was horrendous against ranked teams and was down in the dumps. Guy mentions talent (the talent that went 3-9 the previous year, mind you). You mention other coaches also “flaming out” (which wasn’t my initial argument).

other than neither of you addressing the key point of my argument, it also extended to this idea of “flaming out”. There’s 1, maybe 2 coaches in the history of this program that could look at 10-4, 7-6, 9-4, 6-4 and be like “that looks pretty undesirable”. Now, if you wanted to leave out that the 6-4 would likely be a 8-4, that this is the hardest job in the country, and that there’s like 9 ranked wins in that stretch, then I can see how you could reach some of these obscene conclusions that are reached here 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

What? Lol. Who cares? 

Obviously u do. Since u want to characterize me (individual like you) because I disagree with your opinion. I am trying to help u out. I understand that u are somebody on this board. I also dont have to agree with your opinion. On to the fall.

• Haha 1

This is most certainly not the hardest job in the country. If it was, we wouldn't have a championship caliber season from each of our last 5 coaches. There are 3 much more difficult jobs just in our division. 5 more in the East. Never mind all the other thankless gigs around the country at places with relatively limited resources and available talent.

Auburn is a place where an 8-win coach can get paid $7 million a year to leave. The line of guys that would sign up for this gig starts to the left and stretches all the way to Eugene.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is most certainly not the hardest job in the country. If it was, we wouldn't have a championship caliber season from each of our last 5 coaches. There are 3 much more difficult jobs just in our division. 5 more in the East. Never mind all the other thankless gigs around the country at places with relatively limited resources and available talent.

Auburn is a place where an 8-win coach can get paid $7 million a year to leave. The line of guys that would sign up for this gig starts to the left and stretches all the way to Eugene.

Exactly what a job 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Chizik did it under the same circumstances.

No sir, you are wrong:  Chiz went 7-5 his first yr.    I am pretty sure Chiz won his first bowl game to give him his 8th win, but you have to look it up.   7 is less than 9, even with the new math. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

leave. The line of guys that would sign up for this gig starts to the left and stretches all the way to Eugene

What is this based on lol 

we just had a coaching search that went the polar opposite of that 😂

When people rate how hard a job is, they add in intangible factors, like fans expectations, relationship with your higher ups, etc. 

Just using the head coach from 2013-2020 as an example, since giving [Gus] a smidgen of praise is frowned upon, dude had suits, some of which hadn’t coached in 30 years, and some who never coached, interfering with the way he worked in 2011. Hire this guy, you can’t fire this guy a couple seasons ago. Beat two of the top 5 spenders in recruiting with wildly outdated facilities. Who else does that happen to? 

I’ll never understand why fans on here are so averse to what appears to be an almost consensus opinion amongst non-Auburn entities. This job is considered one of the 5-10 hardest, if not the hardest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I said Gus inherited a program that was horrendous against ranked teams and was down in the dumps. Guy mentions talent (the talent that went 3-9 the previous year, mind you).

Horrible coaching can negate talent.  We had good players in 2012.  We had talent.  I said Gus added to that talent, Nick Marshall,  and then we had 2013.  That 2013 team was elite and the talent was from 2012 + Nick Marshall

Believe that's why many think this year might not be that bad b/c we have talent, it was just horribly misused.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This job is considered one of the 5-10 hardest, if not the hardest

Then don’t take the challenge if it is too hard. Don’t accept a top 5 contract if you can’t bring in superior results. I expect you to beat the cupcake teams in OOC. That is an expectation. Winning 8 games at Auburn now should be the floor. And I expect that out of CBH this year. Just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Horrible coaching can negate talent.  We had good players in 2012.  We had talent.  I said Gus added to that talent, Nick Marshall,  and then we had 2013.  That 2013 team was elite and the talent was from 2012 + Nick Marshall

Believe that's why many think this year might not be that bad b/c we have talent, it was just horribly misused.

Is this guy really arguing that 2013 team didn’t have elite talent ? You don’t go to the NC championship without elite talent . 2012 was a cultural and coaching issue. You have a team full of athletes trying to run the pro set offense and KF going under center lol. He has never done that . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Is this guy really arguing that 2013 team didn’t have elite talent ? You don’t go to the NC championship without elite talent . 2012 was a cultural and coaching issue. You have a team full of athletes trying to run the pro set offense and KF going under center lol. He has never done that . 

When you have nothing to argue with, then just banter hoping others will tire out.

Seems to be his M.O.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What is this based on lol 

we just had a coaching search that went the polar opposite of that 😂

I'm curious which candidates we reached out to that you don't think would have taken the job.