NIL and bama recruiting

tinman

Saban announced today that Bryce Young, the projected starting QB, has already signed NIL deals in excess of $1 million.  The kid has not started a game yet but the sponsors have lined up based on his expected season(s).  Just another advantage bama has because of their REC, rabid fan base, and wealthy boosters who are willing to spend their $$$ to win at all cost.  

3 minutes ago, tinman said:

Saban announced today that Bryce Young, the projected starting QB, has already signed NIL deals in excess of $1 million.  The kid has not started a game yet but the sponsors have lined up based on his expected season(s).  Just another advantage bama has because of their REC, rabid fan base, and wealthy boosters who are willing to spend their $$$ to win at all cost.  

I saw the quote and he actually said almost 7 figures, news has morphed that to more than 1 million. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tinman said:

AU needs more of them too.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tinman said:

This is exactly what I expected from the NIL rulings.  2nd and 3rd teamers won't be getting a million, but a Miami booster has already put a floor on the thing: Every Hurricane on scholarship will get a guaranteed $500 a month. It will only go up from there for the rest of us.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tinman said:

because of their REC, rabid fan base, and wealthy boosters who are willing to spend their $$$ to win at all cost.  

These players have to do something to earn the money. I highly doubt this is coming just from just boosters. They have to announce it or file. It, so I'll be interested to see who is paying him

He's the #1 recruit, a QB, on the #1 team for the last decade. He's highly marketable. 

Bo gets Milo's, Bryce gonna get Coke

This is my fear with how it will change college sports - especially football. This is Saban recruiting. Our QB has near $1MM and hasn't started a game - Come play here and you will get the same. It is going to force teams that cant get these deals to rely on free agency for the guys who commit and do not get the big deal. We have some wealthy boosters but it is going to take more than that and the "family" atmosphere to compete for a 5-star. Unfortunately, I think this means Harsin needs to win big quickly or we could get left in the dust. We need some national relevance.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

This is Saban recruiting. Our QB has near $1MM and hasn't started a game - Come play here and you will get the same.

This is true and it will change the game.  On the other hand, it really doesn’t give Bama an advantage in this regard: They are already at a ceiling for recruiting and have been for years. The pitch of “come here, win natty and make millions in the NFL” has been trumping everyone else anyway. Creative use of the NIL might actually put other teams on a more level playing field. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

This is true and it will change the game.  On the other hand, it really doesn’t give Bama an advantage in this regard: They are already at a ceiling for recruiting and have been for years. The pitch of “come here, win natty and make millions in the NFL” has been trumping everyone else anyway. Creative use of the NIL might actually put other teams on a more level playing field. 

In Saban's interview, his statement was "this shows how valuable the Alabama brand is".  And I can't disagree with him.  Just another bullet in his arsenal for recruiting.

• Like 1

IMO if AU will create a special department that will assist the players with building and managing their brand, they could gain some leverage and reap some benefits in recruiting, assuming that it’s within the NCAA rules.  

While I’m not opposed to providing the players with some financial assistance, I think the NIL will ruin college football as we’ve known it.  College sports may soon become “me” sports where players place themselves above their team mates.  What’s gonna happen when a player has to cut practice in order to attend an important meeting that pertains to their financial interests?  Coaches are going start blowing gaskets...

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 3

I'm just glad the players are being payed out in the open now. No more doing things behind the scenes where only a select few colleges are allowed to do it without punishment. NIL just opens it up to all who are willing to play the game. I think you will see some new schools take advantage of this change and those schools will have success they might not have seen in the past. I personally don't have a problem with new schools getting good players but i know a lot of folks will. We have a well established tradition of only 4-5 schools having a shot and winning the championship so people are going to freak out the first time a school like Houston makes the playoffs. 

I'm also a fan of seeing the kids get an opportunity to make money while they are marketable. They won't stay marketable for long. So many of these guys will not make it to the pros so if they can make some money while in college good for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I'm just glad the players are being payed out in the open now. No more doing things behind the scenes where only a select few colleges are allowed to do it without punishment. NIL just opens it up to all who are willing to play the game. I think you will see some new schools take advantage of this change and those schools will have success they might not have seen in the past. I personally don't have a problem with new schools getting good players but i know a lot of folks will. We have a well established tradition of only 4-5 schools having a shot and winning the championship so people are going to freak out the first time a school like Houston makes the playoffs. 

I'm also a fan of seeing the kids get an opportunity to make money while they are marketable. They won't stay marketable for long. So many of these guys will not make it to the pros so if they can make some money while in college good for them. 

I don’t think this necessarily means no more McDonald’s bags!!

5 hours ago, gctiger said:

IMO if AU will create a special department that will assist the players with building and managing their brand, they could gain some leverage and reap some benefits in recruiting, assuming that it’s within the NCAA rules.  

While I’m not opposed to providing the players with some financial assistance, I think the NIL will ruin college football as we’ve known it.  College sports may soon become “me” sports where players place themselves above their team mates.  What’s gonna happen when a player has to cut practice in order to attend an important meeting that pertains to their financial interests?  Coaches are going start blowing gaskets...

Pretty sure Auburn was out in front with a program to assist athletes in their NIL dealings starting sometime last spring.

• Like 1

Can we not talk about them here please? This needs to be in the rivals recruiting section. They occupy 0% of my brain or time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Zeek said:

Can we not talk about them here please? This needs to be in the rivals recruiting section. They occupy 0% of my brain or time.

To me, they are just the example of how recruiting is going to change which will affect us. If Ryan Day came out and said their QB was making $1MM then that would be the example. The elephant in the room just so happens to live in our backyard.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I cant disagree and I hope this ends up the case. 

3 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

I cant disagree and I hope this ends up the case. 

Im also hoping it spreads the wealth a little more. Why sit behind a starter at bama when you could transfer somewhere else and make money now? 

47 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Im also hoping it spreads the wealth a little more. Why sit behind a starter at bama when you could transfer somewhere else and make money now? 

I don't know about this. To me, I can see the rich getting richer. If it's a top level player that has to choose between schools like Ole MIss, Miss St, and Alabama, and Alabama is telling them how their players even FRESHMEN, could get up to 7 figures in endorsements, it's a no brainer.

Its' the wild wild west type of mentality. Look that the Miami booster, very aggressive, and will provide every player x amount of dollars in endorsement, just for being on their team. That could draw players who would be going to FL or FL ST to Miami bc they have more aggressive and rich boosters providing incentives.

Auburn has them too, but if they are not aggressive or creative, then they will be behind the curve...

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

To me, I can see the rich getting richer.

Nobody knows for sure. Bama, Clemson, OSU, UGA, and Oklahoma are reeling off 12 win seasons and Playoff appearances at crazy rates. How can they get richer? This could resurrect programs like Miami and Oregon (Nike) into national  players again. It could also elevate the super rich like TAMU, Texas, USC, UCLA, and Michigan. AU needs to get real creative real fast.  

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't know about this. To me, I can see the rich getting richer. If it's a top level player that has to choose between schools like Ole MIss, Miss St, and Alabama, and Alabama is telling them how their players even FRESHMEN, could get up to 7 figures in endorsements, it's a no brainer.

Its' the wild wild west type of mentality. Look that the Miami booster, very aggressive, and will provide every player x amount of dollars in endorsement, just for being on their team. That could draw players who would be going to FL or FL ST to Miami bc they have more aggressive and rich boosters providing incentives.

Auburn has them too, but if they are not aggressive or creative, then they will be behind the curve...

I'm not sure either but I am hopeful it will play out that way. I think we should go all in with money to pay for olinemen. These guys wont get the endorsements other positions will get so pay them upfront.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:38 AM, Gowebb11 said:

No it gives them a new pitch. "Yeah, you could go to UGA or Auburn where there is playing time available and the system is a better fit. Or you could come to Bama and be a professional backup for 3 years and get a million bucks without playing a snap."

The rich just got a whole lot richer in college football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

No it gives them a new pitch. "Yeah, you could go to UGA or Auburn where there is playing time available and the system is a better fit. Or you could come to Bama and be a professional backup for 3 years and get a million bucks without playing a snap."

The rich just got a whole lot richer in college football.

They’ve been doing that for years already. Except it was cars and jewelry instead of a million bucks. Now we (or certainly Texas or TAMU with their money) can say come here and start and make a million bucks or go to Bama and make a million on the bench. 

Teams only get 25 per year so I think there’s plenty of great players to go around.

This is exactly what I expected to happen.  NIL is just a way to pay players over the table.  Recruits will be pitched NIL deals as part of the recruitment.  I am sure it will be a tiered approach: Signing gets you $1000 a month + a car, Starting bumps you to $5000 a month, All-SEC ....

Which athletic department starts awarding vendor contracts and advertising deals to those companies which sigh their players to NIL deals?   Joe Blow Ford will be the official car of the University of Tenn and just so happens to sign 10 players to NIL contracts.  You can see where this goes.  

24 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

This is exactly what I expected to happen.  NIL is just a way to pay players over the table.  Recruits will be pitched NIL deals as part of the recruitment.  I am sure it will be a tiered approach: Signing gets you $1000 a month + a car, Starting bumps you to $5000 a month, All-SEC ....

Which athletic department starts awarding vendor contracts and advertising deals to those companies which sigh their players to NIL deals?   Joe Blow Ford will be the official car of the University of Tenn and just so happens to sign 10 players to NIL contracts.  You can see where this goes.  

They already do it with coaches. See Golden Flake and Ford, as well as incentives for making playoffs etc… and now players will get the same.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1