NIL and bama recruiting

tinman

2 hours ago, Howard Roark said:

This is exactly what I expected to happen.  NIL is just a way to pay players over the table.  Recruits will be pitched NIL deals as part of the recruitment.  I am sure it will be a tiered approach: Signing gets you $1000 a month + a car, Starting bumps you to $5000 a month, All-SEC ....

Which athletic department starts awarding vendor contracts and advertising deals to those companies which sigh their players to NIL deals?   Joe Blow Ford will be the official car of the University of Tenn and just so happens to sign 10 players to NIL contracts.  You can see where this goes.  

I just hope the coaches and players can find some time on Saturday's to play the games.

Joe Blow Ford may need some players on the lot on Saturday afternoons for the Big Sales Event.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:39 AM, gctiger said:

IMO if AU will create a special department that will assist the players with building and managing their brand, they could gain some leverage and reap some benefits in recruiting, assuming that it’s within the NCAA rules.  

While I’m not opposed to providing the players with some financial assistance, I think the NIL will ruin college football as we’ve known it.  College sports may soon become “me” sports where players place themselves above their team mates.  What’s gonna happen when a player has to cut practice in order to attend an important meeting that pertains to their financial interests?  Coaches are going start blowing gaskets...

Are you aware that Auburn was one of the first schools to announce that they have a program (Spirit) in place to educate and guide our student-athletes with NIL? 

The Supreme Court decision relative to NIL rendered the NCAA completely impotent and any rules they ever had regarding NIL are now non-existent.  Athletes now operate in a free market and they can seek and accept as much $$ and compensation as their likeness will bring them. 

Edited by keesler
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TigerTale said:

I just hope the coaches and players can find some time on Saturday's to play the games.

Joe Blow Ford may need some players on the lot on Saturday afternoons for the Big Sales Event.

A coaching staff maintains rules and expectations for their team.  Student-athletes will abide by the team rules OR suffer the consequences, like always. 

On 7/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, gravejd said:

I'm just glad the players are being payed out in the open now. No more doing things behind the scenes where only a select few colleges are allowed to do it without punishment. NIL just opens it up to all who are willing to play the game. I think you will see some new schools take advantage of this change and those schools will have success they might not have seen in the past. I personally don't have a problem with new schools getting good players but i know a lot of folks will. We have a well established tradition of only 4-5 schools having a shot and winning the championship so people are going to freak out the first time a school like Houston makes the playoffs. 

I'm also a fan of seeing the kids get an opportunity to make money while they are marketable. They won't stay marketable for long. So many of these guys will not make it to the pros so if they can make some money while in college good for them. 

You’re kidding yourself if you believe this will stop the “behind the scenes” payments. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, around4ever said:

You’re kidding yourself if you believe this will stop the “behind the scenes” payments. 

Now it makes the behind the scenes money harder to track

• Like 1

Yep, like others have said, this is what I thought would happen as well.

What concerns me for AU, and actually the entire SEC. Is that we are actually the poorest part of the country and collectively our Universities and alumni are less well off than other parts of the country.  There is more money in the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, and the northeast than there is in the SEC. However, the SEC has a much more passion for football and sports so our elites give/spend more on that than other parts of the country. At least for now. 

Another concern is that "giving" and fund raising for the University (other than sports) will most likely dwindle to a small trickle. How many alums of AU are going to donate to the University? I'm guessing not many as they will all be investing their money in Athletes. Not really a good thing for education.

Also, large schools have a much bigger advantage than small schools. Schools with larger enrollments have more alumni, which translates into more people putting $$'s into the pot. AU, while not as small as Rice, is still one of the smaller schools in the SEC and in the nation. 

It all translates into something that, at least on the surface and long term, doesn't bode well for AU or the SEC. It will take a while for the full impact to be realized, but the large and rich schools definitely have an advantage and many of those are not traditional powers. Smaller and poorer schools will be hit harder and some of those actually are traditional sports powers. AU is some where in the middle, we aren't the poorest/smallest school in the country, but we are also far from the largest/wealthiest too.

I always thought the right way to handle paying players was to just allow them to "go pro" at age 18, just like any other job. If they could go find a job and make money, go for it. The ones who wanted to go to College and get an education could still get a traditional scholarship. But that's out.. 

Is it legal to create a non-profit company that takes donations, sells products, maybe even produces products and then uses the revenue to "purchase" likenesses from athletes? Actually I guess it doesn't even have to be non-profit, could be the next Nike or Under Armour. Seems like the best way is to create a brand and a system to generate revenue that maybe doesn't even rely on Alums. It just all becomes another pro sport, which isn't what I'm interested in, but many are.

Heck is it illegal for an NFL team to partner with a so-called College team as basically their "minor league team?" I could easily see the New England Patriots paying players to go to "their" college team as a training ground for their pro team. 

At any rate, the genie is out of the bottle and it is what it is. I'll still follow and root for AU, but I'm certainly not as passionate as I used to be. It used to be a family, that is in jeopardy of becoming a company instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 7/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, tinman said:

Saban announced today that Bryce Young, the projected starting QB, has already signed NIL deals in excess of $1 million.  The kid has not started a game yet but the sponsors have lined up based on his expected season(s).  Just another advantage bama has because of their REC, rabid fan base, and wealthy boosters who are willing to spend their $$$ to win at all cost.  

He may have took a pay cut with the NIL going public lol

Wait til Arch Manning comes to college football . Holy crap 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

He may have took a pay cut with the NIL going public lol

Wait til Arch Manning comes to college football . Holy crap 

Why aren’t we recruiting Arch again? I know chances are slim… but still curious.

12 hours ago, AUreo said:

Why aren’t we recruiting Arch again? I know chances are slim… but still curious.

Great question. It would be great to get him to AU one time . Not sure it’s possible 

• 2 months later...

Bama is really hurting us here, esp in Basketball recruiting.

UGA Basketball is a sleeping giant and they have a working NIL strategy.

NC State and Virginia are currently stealing top-tier regional Swim recruits (NC State has a NIL system for Swimmers in place).

LSU has access to a Baton Rouge based NIL agency that specializes in Female athletes (this probably helps them in Gymnastics recruiting, they currently have two 5-stars and one 4-star committed)

Arkansas: As of Nov. 1, Arkansas Athletics has over 300 brand deal signings that represent all 19 of its athletic teams—compared to schools that have over 30 sports and have yet to reach 300. McGlone says this stat is sure to be an asset when it comes to recruiting. (Source: CGN)

Apparently, Auburn is now working on a NIL strategy. I read that AUC/247 will have updates soon and publish an article on Auburn's new NIL strategy later this week.

Edited by AUreo

2 hours ago, AUreo said:

Bama is really hurting us here, esp in Basketball recruiting.

UGA Basketball is a sleeping giant and they have a working NIL strategy.

NC State and Virginia are currently stealing top-tier regional Swim recruits (NC State has a NIL system for Swimmers in place).

LSU has access to a Baton Rouge based NIL agency that specializes in Female athletes (this probably helps them in Gymnastics recruiting, they currently have two 5-stars and one 4-star committed)

Apparently, Auburn is now working on a NIL strategy. I read that AUC/247 will have updates soon and publish an article on Auburn's new NIL strategy later this week.

We need to catch up ASAP.  Giving our players 2 sheets of plywood ain't cutting it!😀

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tinman said:

We need to catch up ASAP.  Giving our players 2 sheets of plywood ain't cutting it!😀

Have you seen the price of plywood?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

This is the Auburn/NIL article:

ALC-Auburn, LLC determined to change NIL game for Auburn

A group called ALC-Auburn, LLC, founded by Auburn University graduates and lettermen, is currently working closely with AU athletes and affiliates to launch their NIL platform that protects the athletes, supporters and the institution. 

[...]

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/NIL-Deals-for-Auburn-Auburn-football-Auburn-basketball-Auburn-baseball-174462643/

• Like 1

There’s no reason we had to play catch up but I predicted we would have to.  I’m not sure why the AU power structure tends to take a wait and see attitude about things like this while other schools seize the new way of doing things quickly.  I think the three major sports at AU have about as strong a HC lineup as we’ve had since the 80’s and I would like to see them have the same tools that UAT and UGA have. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

There’s no reason we had to play catch up but I predicted we would have to.  I’m not sure why the AU power structure tends to take a wait and see attitude about things like this while other schools seize the new way of doing things quickly.  I think the three major sports at AU have about as strong a HC lineup as we’ve had since the 80’s and I would like to see them have the same tools that UAT and UGA have. 

Our compliance department is 100 times more strict and cautious than our major competitors.

50 minutes ago, tinman said:

Our compliance department is 100 times more strict and cautious than our major competitors.

Which is outdated thinking.  The NCAA has nothing unless the Feds have a reason to get involved.  All the payola can be above board now.  The choice is up to AU how big of a player we want to be. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Which is outdated thinking.  The NCAA has nothing unless the Feds have a reason to get involved.  All the payola can be above board now.  The choice is up to AU how big of a player we want to be. 

There are state laws to which is why the new NIL group that includes Lawyers that just came out takes that into consideration.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There are state laws to which is why the new NIL group that includes Lawyers that just came out takes that into consideration.

Right, but Auburn & Alabama share the same state laws. 

"IF" Bama is hurting us with NIL in basketball like one poster said above, then it's our own damn fault.  It's been less than 6 months, we shouldn't be playing catch up with anyone. 

57 minutes ago, keesler said:

Right, but Auburn & Alabama share the same state laws. 

"IF" Bama is hurting us with NIL in basketball like one poster said above, then it's our own damn fault.  It's been less than 6 months, we shouldn't be playing catch up with anyone. 

Apparently we put it together to be sure we did it the right way. bama has been breaking rules for so long with no consequences they didn't worry whether it was legal or not.

17 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Apparently we put it together to be sure we did it the right way. bama has been breaking rules for so long with no consequences they didn't worry whether it was legal or not.

Speaking of breaking rules. With the crap that took place in AU basketball a few years ago which landed us in deep water with the NCAA, who have yet rule on the investigation OR as far as we know have yet to present a notice of allegations, I don't doubt for a minute serious precautions are in place where NIL is concerned. 

But it's been months since NIL cleared and Auburn should NOT be playing catch up with any other program in basketball and certainly not vs bama and that cocky coach of theirs. 

Edited by keesler
  • Like 1