Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

20 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Agree to disagree. Sankey’s response was essentially that they were going to poll the schools to decide. I can’t think of a single university that has a reason to back them being added, especially TAMU and those being potentially realigned to another division.

Texas/Oklahoma/The SEC wouldn't have let all of this come out into the open if they didn't already know what the final outcome would be. I believe this has all been in the works for awhile.  

Yes. they are still going to have to take a 'formal' vote from the schools, but don't believe for a minute that Sankey doesn't already know the outcome. 

Even Texas A&M, the one school everyone would assume would vote 'no'  has come around and basically said "Bring em' on" 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No.  But you do need something.  Even if its YouTube TV, etc.  And all of that gets kicked back to ESPN.

Not to mention the potential for games on ESPN+

Even if it’s only $5 I hate the idea of giving ESPN money.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Me too. Unfortunately, Disney/ESPN effectively owns College football now. 

41 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Me too. Unfortunately, Disney/ESPN effectively owns College football now. 

They pretty much own most forms of entertainment these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Slive expanded the conference too.

He did. Didn’t like that either. I think he did a better job at leading. I just don’t like the expansion. Gonna take my ball and go home now. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Win4AU Not sure how the NBC contract will work but they will have to join a conference & they know it. They won't have access to the playoffs if they aren't in a conference.

No doubt, they basically joined last year

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@autiger88 what are you calling BS on? Texas & OU did reach out to the SEC, not vice versa. Now that the door has opened the SEC will now be proactive on things.

I was just saying bs on the report because it's been going on for 6 months apparently lol 🤷 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

How?

How?

The latest news from Sankey is that he’s essentially going to poll the universities to make the decision. So, I’m not sure I see how it’s a done deal. It was a done deal that Aaron Rodgers was not coming back to Green Bay a month ago according to the sports media as well. Look how that one turned out.

@ScotsAU Brad, TexasHorn, & myself have already explained the process & how this stuff works. Sankey already knows how every team is going to vote so the actual vote will be a formality. Also once they are in the SEC the TV deal will be renegotiated at a much higher value for all SEC teams. Also Texas & OU being 2 of the top 8 athletic revenues means a lot more money for the SEC.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woodford said:

Fans (who matter the most) won’t benefit

This one will from the Texas /A&M rivalry coming back & all the interesting matchups between Texas & OU with traditional SEC powers.

• Like 2

Wondering how much coaches are gonna bank after all this money starts coming in. Going to be some big bidding wars for high end coaches.

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

They pretty much own most forms of entertainment these days. 

Instead of asking "what entertainment does Disney own," a better question would be "what entertainment does Disney NOT own?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

This one will from the Texas /A&M rivalry coming back & all the interesting matchups between Texas & OU with traditional SEC powers.

That rivalry arguably has more spite than any SEC ones, other than UGA vs futility 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Win4AU said:

They give us incredible amounts of money.

13 hours ago, toddc said:

Wondering how much coaches are gonna bank after all this money starts coming in. Going to be some big bidding wars for high end coaches.

The list of "high end" coaches is a very small one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

They give us incredible amounts of money.

Kinda making my point even stronger.

Listening to the First Team today on my way to the gym and they were discussing the possibility of the ACC and SEC merging together. I feel if we go this route we will end up like the football leagues in Europe where you have a premier league and then sub leagues. Teams will then be subjected to relegation. I really hope this is just hype talk it does't come to this. I know this is a business but I really don't want college sports to go the route of professional sports. 

41 minutes ago, bootskii said:

I know this is a business but I really don't want college sports to go the route of professional sports. 

The only amateur athletics now is in High School, or maybe middle school. Been that way for quite awhile. NCAA will be history within 10 years, and the superconferences will run college football. Notre Dame will join a conference or be black balled by the superconferences and become irrelevant. This is pure professional entertainment now. It is what it is. Was fun while it lasted though.

• Like 1