Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope! As pissed off as they are they are not going to pass up the money the SEC is going to make them.

You are probably right but the way the Domino's all of a sudden started falling after the whole announcement with OU and Texas I would not be surprised at all if It ended up happening because of them being left out if that is indeed true.🤷

Edited by autiger88

6 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If they do go pod I'd be interested in seeing who Auburn ends up with.  Knowing our luck it'll be Alabama, UGA, and a LSU/TaMu/Florida.  Another probably pod setup would be Bama, Vandy, Mizzou, Miss State and Auburn, UGA, Florida, Oklahoma.  

If it stays a two division setup and a proper East/West is done, it would geographically look like this:

West:  A&M, Texas, OU, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State

East:  Auburn, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina

Play a 9-game conference schedule, and the opposite division opponents are strictly rotational...no permanent opposite division opponent.  There would be a few long-running games that would be disrupted (Alabama-MSU, LSU-Florida) and some that would be renewed (Auburn getting Tennessee and Florida back on the schedule annually).

Now that I've said all of that, I don't see any way that is how it would hypothetically shake out.

2 hours ago, AUSwim said:

Crazy thought but could this have anything to do with NIL & SEC possibly getting out off the NCAA?

Absolutely!  And Sankey's not-so-glowing remarks he made in a presser at SEC Media Days this week.  He's pretty much done with the NCAA and said a massive overhaul was needed. 

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If they do go pod I'd be interested in seeing who Auburn ends up with.  Knowing our luck it'll be Alabama, UGA, and a LSU/TaMu/Florida.  Another probably pod setup would be Bama, Vandy, Mizzou, Miss State and Auburn, UGA, Florida, Oklahoma.  

I'm just guessing this would be a way for bama to re institute their sacred, annual game with longtime rival Vandy. no?

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

@Win4AUMost likely pods for Auburn would be with Bama, Ole.miss, and Mississippi State or Bama, Vols, and Vandy. I tend to think we will be in the second one because I think Bema will try to push things that way so in their mind they can keep their foot on the throat of us and Tennessee. Another note about pods with there being four of them the powers will have to be split up by twos at least. Auburn and Bama in one, Florida  Georgia in one, Oklahoma LSU in one and lastly Texas Texas A&M and one. The latter two could just as easily be Texas and Oklahoma in one and LSU Texas A&M in another.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I just miss the old big 12 lol

@Maverick.AU The big 12 was not the old. The old was the SWC and the big eight the big 12 was formed out of.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Maverick.AU The big 12 was not the old. The old was the SWC and the big eight the big 12 was formed out of.

E, I am young (somewhat), it is old to me. Lol

What I mean by old big 12 is, before A&M, mizzou, Nebraska, and Colorado left 

Edited by Maverick.AU

17 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

do Texas and OU really want to wait that long?

I don’t think the big 12 can last that long as a lame duck power five conference.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Win4AUMost likely pods for Auburn would be with Bama, Ole.miss, and Mississippi State or Bama, Vols, and Vandy. I tend to think we will be in the second one because I think Bema will try to push things that way so in their mind they can keep their foot on the throat of us and Tennessee. Another note about pods with there being four of them the powers will have to be split up by twos at least. Auburn and Bama in one, Florida  Georgia in one, Oklahoma LSU in one and lastly Texas Texas A&M and one. The latter two could just as easily be Texas and Oklahoma in one and LSU Texas A&M in another.

More unsolicited spit-balling from here...

Pod 1:  Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri

Pod 2:  LSU, A&M, Mississippi, Mississippi State

Pod 3:  Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pod 4: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky

Edited by SLAG-91
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

E, I am young (somewhat), it is old to me. Lol

What I mean by old big 12 is, before A&M, mizzou, Nebraska, and Colorado left 

I know what you meant good buddy. I was just showing my age. Lol

at least I’m not golf old though. Back when he was a young whippersnapper there were only two divisions, angels and demons. Lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Pod A:  Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri

Pod B:  LSU, A&M, Mississippi, Mississippi State

Pod 😄 Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pod 😧 Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky

That would be my guess. And on another note the basketball in that first pod could be downright filthy.

23 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I don't see this as being true at all. It already looks like it's a done deal if that's the case there won't be any waiting I believe they are in by next year. 

Doesn’t seem like they can make Texas /Okl. Pay up and then more book.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I know what you meant good buddy. I was just showing my age. Lol

Semi-related, but here is an article that looks back on the breakup of the old SWC in 1995.

A look back at the end of the SWC, 25 years later

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

This seems most balanced (at this time in history).

58 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

so what's the deal with the "pod system"?  what does that mean,exactly? you always play the other 3 and rotate others?

There's two ideas floating around the message boards right now. Both have four pods with four teams each. 

1) You play everyone else in your pod and two games each against the other three pods. You would play everyone else home and away every four years but certain longstanding series would be played every other year instead of every hear. Decent chance we don't play Georgia every year under this one. 

2) You play everyone in your pod, have one permanent opponent in the other three pods, and then rotate the remaining three games in a different pod every year. Would hold together most old rivalries but you would see every stadium every six seasons instead of every four. Would also only swap out three games YoY instead of six. 

Guarantee A&M didn't know, or the news would have come out 6 months ago. Someone from there or from Mizzou would have done everything they could to blow it up by getting out in front of it. At this point its so near a done deal that the inertia alone is going to tear up the Big 12.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Back when he was a young whippersnapper there were only two divisions, angels and demons. Lol

Guess which one I was hint........

lucifer morningstar fox GIF by Lucifer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Kansas already talking to the big 10.

I think Iowa State is right behind them.

Edit: Yup. https://thespun.com/big-12/iowa-state/report-another-big-12-school-involved-in-kansas-big-ten-talks

Edited by Auctoritas

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd take Baylor over UTx too. 

Football: No worse than Half our conference

Baseball: solid program

Basketball: Solid program

W basketball: Powerhouse (was under Kim Mulkey)

Med school 

Academics 

Baylor med school is only loosely associated with Baylor U, and it's in Houston. Their academics are pathetic. UTexas has a vastly better national reputation in that department. UTexas is also building a medical school with funding from Dell right here in the Austin MSA. 

14 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Baylor med school is only loosely associated with Baylor U, and it's in Houston. Their academics are pathetic. UTexas has a vastly better national reputation in that department. UTexas is also building a medical school with funding from Dell right here in the Austin MSA. 

They're also building one in Tyler at UT-TYLER.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They're also building one in Tyler at UT-TYLER.

And they already have one in UTSA. 

What SEC folks may not understand is that both flagship schools are the tip of a far larger iceberg. There are numerous UT's and ATM's scattered around the state, and some of them are the size of AU and UAT, bigger than some SEC schools, in terms of enrollment. I don't know how that affects the SEC, but there are likely to be ripple effects from it. Maybe UTSA and an ATM satellite end up joining the conferences of Troy and Georgia State? I have no idea what those conference structures even look like. 

59 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

This was already posted by the SEC network and probably be the best case scenario