Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

WRT to the comments on the rivalry, my personal experience with it is that it is nowhere near as intense as AU-bammer. I think maybe the Ags took it more seriously than UT people did. Wife and I are both holders of multiple UT degrees, as are bro-in-law and his wife. We all sent our kids to ATM without thinking twice about it. I'd work VERY HARD to talk one of mine out of a uat "education" had they wanted to go that way, in sharp contrast. 

You have to realize that UT is 50,000 students, nearly HALF of which are grad students who did undergrad somewhere else (no small portion at ATM), with far weaker loyalty to the sports programs than to the general concept of being a Texas Ex.

ATM is much more undergrad-biased, and frankly, is a bit of a cult, in a generally good way. Most of the UT fanbase are sidewalk fans, with a level of general rabidity several steps down from bammers. It is extremely rare to see a truck here covered in Longhorn stuff, and if you do, it's generally a wealthy dude who built it for curb hopping in downtown ATX for tailgates. Contrast that to the outright worship in so many bammer themed redneck trucks with coach murals, MNC dates, etc. I've never seen anything like that here.

I remember well when uat played at OU during the Franchione years how shocked the OU fans were at the level of bammer rabidity that invaded their campus. Pics of bammer'd out RVs and SUVs were all over their board. If they'd seen that from UT, which they hadn't, you wouldn't have seen that reaction. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Kansas already talking to the big 10.

Smart play by them.  I think they have no choice but to try to get in there or risk being left behind.  The other one that would make perfect sense would be WVA trying to get in ACC. Kansas St is screwed. 

• Like 1

Hold on...I was not contacted by anybody on this and I do not approve. 

Texas needs the SEC to regain respectability, but the SEC sure does not need Texas.  Texas is losing on the recruiting front to TAMU on an annual basis and to OU every year.   Their football credibility is drying up faster than spit on a sidewalk in the summer.  

I prefer to take OU and someone else.   Just not Texas.  

I know this is all about the money, but come on.   Can we just trade Mizzou for OU and call it a day? 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

The big one that is getting skrewed is Okie St. with OU leaving them behind. Guess they will still play yearly. Maybe just maybe Big 10 will take them but not sure why

• Like 2

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

The big one that is getting skrewed is Okie St. with OU leaving them behind. Guess they will still play yearly. Maybe just maybe Big 10 will take them but not sure why

I don't think they will play yearly and I don't even see why OSU would honestly would even agree to do so. It sounds like the OU fans don't care to break the annual game and the OSU brass aren't particularly happy with the OU leaders.

• Like 1

Been travelling, so I am behind on this mess.

By adding one power (OU) and another team (Texas), would the SEC be able to get 3 into the playoffs every year in the 12 team format?   

Seems reasonable to consider.    I am not a fan, on the surface:

• Auburn has been making progress recruiting Texas lately and the SEC card is a big card to play during recruiting in Texas.   This hurts Auburn. 
  • TAMU will be hurt in recruiting b/c they have the SEC card to play over kids think TAMU vs Texas.   Helps Auburn
  • Does it hurt LSU because now Texas can recruit Houston and SW Louisiana more effectively?    May help Auburn
  • Does it hurt OU because Texas can now recruit better against OU?  yes, but Does not help Auburn.

Now adding another power (OU) and an re-emerging bluebood program will not make things easier for Auburn to get to Atlanta.

I just have a feeling we will get stuck with a our "rival games" in bama and thUGA in some new system and be forever screwed with scheduling again.  Just when I thought going to pods was going to help us out. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

This was already posted by the SEC network and probably be the best case scenario 

Ah, I hadn't seen it, scout's honor.  Still not convinced this would work very well for determining a football champion, though.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

This is my thought & issue. Word is that would be the tie breakers. Sucks for 2 of the Pod champs. Congrats for winning your pod. No SECCG for you.

I agree. This pod thing is lame.. going to be tie breakers galore!! And not playing it on the field is almost as bad as not making the playoffs. 

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:12 PM, augolf1716 said:

IMO UT would fit much better in the Pac 12

100% correct when you consider their culture and vibe in Austin, TX.

They are no more southern than Los Angeles. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I agree. This pod thing is lame.. going to be tie breakers galore!! And not playing it on the field is almost as bad as not making the playoffs. 

Make it a semifinal in conference for pod winners, and the winners face off.  Won't happen with the expanded playoffs but was a nice possibility if we ever got to 4 super conferences.  This would essentially give a 16 team playoff and the actual semifinal would be the conference winners.  Not relevant to the current landscape though. 

58 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think they will play yearly and I don't even see why OSU would honestly would even agree to do so. It sounds like the OU fans don't care to break the annual game and the OSU brass aren't particularly happy with the OU leaders.

And OU like leads that series 85-19 or something like that lol. They probably could care less. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Exactly 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

A report I saw linked by an OU fan explained the university’s thoughts about Bedlam being something like “if it dies it dies” 

A bit of a misquote by me perhaps 

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

And OU like leads that series 85-19 or something like that lol. They probably could care less. 

Thats about what the Texas-ATM record is too. That's why Aggie has LBS far beyond anything AU has with bammer. 

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

Wouldn’t go that far.

3 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) Tweeted:
The Texas A&M Board of Regents will meet on Monday at 5 pm CT, "for discussion and possible action on contractual and governance issues relating to Texas A&M University and the Southeastern Conference."

So what did I say yesterday? 🤔 Texas A@M might be trying to find a way to leave the SEC if Texas comes.

Big mistake if they do imo. Don't get me wrong I totally understand why thet feel the way they do but like I said the only place to go to make the same kind of money is the Big 10. Are a&m fans going to get excited in playing anyone in that league other then OSU,UM or PSU. I'm sure the Big 10 would love to have them to stick it to the SEC.

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Big mistake if they do imo. Don't get me wrong I totally understand why thet feel the way they do but like I said the only place to go to make the same kind of money is the Big 10. Are a&m fans going to get excited in playing anyone in that league other then OSU,UM or PSU. I'm sure the Big 10 would love to have them to stick it to the SEC.

Oh I agree completely I don't wanna lose A&M I actually like them in the SEC I think they fit in quite nicely. But I do say if they have been kept under the rug so to speak about all of this, I would wanna leave too or try everything I can to stop this. 

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

Oh I agree completely I don't wanna lose A&M I actually like them in the SEC I think they fit in quite nicely. But I do say if they have been kept under the rug so to speak about all of this, I would wanna leave too or try everything I can to stop this. 

Agree completely

• Thanks 1

poor management and leadership by sankey and the rest of the conference officials if its true that they didnt inform a&m what was going on "Hey we know you guys dont want Texas in here but we've already voted them in and didnt tell yall about it, you can go ahead and vote no but it wont matter because we've already voted on the whole thing"