Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Big mistake if they do imo. Don't get me wrong I totally understand why thet feel the way they do but like I said the only place to go to make the same kind of money is the Big 10. Are a&m fans going to get excited in playing anyone in that league other then OSU,UM or PSU. I'm sure the Big 10 would love to have them to stick it to the SEC.

I think they'll fuss and kick and scream some, but by the time that first SEC paycheck rolls in after the merger, they'll be like any other toddler that was screaming five minutes ago and now has a new toy to play with. This will be especially true after they come to realize that OU and UT are "just another good team" in the SEC, and not the royalty that they both were in the old league. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I think they'll fuss and kick and scream some, but by the time that first SEC paycheck rolls in after the merger, they'll be like any other toddler that was screaming five minutes ago and now has a new toy to play with. This will be especially true after they come to realize that OU and UT are "just another good team" in the SEC, and not the royalty that they both were in the old league. 

Yeah I see it the same way money money money

1 hour ago, KnightTiger said:

so if A&M does leave and IF Oklahoma and Texas join that only leaves us with fifteen teams asuming Mizzou doesnt leave as well who do we get for #16?

Oklahoma State would be a great addition and I think they would leap at the opportunity to be in the SEC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Oh I agree completely I don't wanna lose A&M I actually like them in the SEC I think they fit in quite nicely. But I do say if they have been kept under the rug so to speak about all of this, I would wanna leave too or try everything I can to stop this. 

It would be incredibly short-sighted for A&M to leave the SEC, period, full stop.  There is no telling what will come out of their BoR meeting on Monday, though.  

Another way this could be looked at is that Texas and OU coming in would completely validate A&M's decision to leave the moribund Big XII a decade ago for greener pastures both financial and for inter-school cooperation.  If there's any truth to A&M being left out of the conversation re: expansion, then that would feel like a betrayal of the spirit of why A&M sought to come to the SEC (a conference of equal partners).  It's not for no reason at all that multiple schools got the hell out of the Big XII when the opportunity presented itself.

If nothing else, this is filling up the dog days of summer with lots of conversation and idle speculation.  It's like 2010/2011 all over again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

If there's any truth to A&M being left out of the conversation re: expansion, then that would feel like a betrayal of the spirit of why A&M sought to come to the SEC (a conference of equal partners).  ......

I doubt that A&M was kept in the dark while 13 other schools knew what was going on. Anyone with a bit of sense would know that doing that would create serious consequences down the road. The hard feelings and bitterness would be permanent. I can see the whole thing being held close to the vest, A&M objecting and being out-voted but I do not believe they were kept ignorant while discussions were held.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

It would be incredibly short-sighted for A&M to leave the SEC, period, full stop.  There is no telling what will come out of their BoR meeting on Monday, though.  

Another way this could be looked at is that Texas and OU coming in would completely validate A&M's decision to leave the moribund Big XII a decade ago for greener pastures both financial and for inter-school cooperation.  If there's any truth to A&M being left out of the conversation re: expansion, then that would feel like a betrayal of the spirit of why A&M sought to come to the SEC (a conference of equal partners).  It's not for no reason at all that multiple schools got the hell out of the Big XII when the opportunity presented itself.

If nothing else, this is filling up the dog days of summer with lots of conversation and idle speculation.  It's like 2010/2011 all over again.

I agree on the short sightedness of it but..... If they were left out which is speculation as of right now multiple sources are saying one thing and other places are saying another so I don't really know but I do know if they were left out and had no say if I was them I would want to leave no matter how good the money is. I wouldn't want to be somewhere that I had no say when I was supposed to have say.

2 hours ago, autiger88 said:

So what did I say yesterday?🤔 Texas a&m might be trying to find a way out if Texas comes in to the SEC🤷

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886i0nffgfasa0mt3e33b

what’s up North Carolina State

• Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I agree on the short sightedness of it but..... If they were left out which is speculation as of right now multiple sources are saying one thing and other places are saying another so I don't really know but I do know if they were left out and had no say if I was them I would want to leave no matter how good the money is. I wouldn't want to be somewhere that I had no say when I was supposed to have say.

There's a whole lot of horse***t out there right now and it's very difficult to find the pony in and amongst it...it would not be at all surprising to me if the issue is internal (someone(s) amongst the president, chancellor and BoR working without the knowledge of the other(s), for instance.) There's just no damn telling.  Here's the agenda for the meeting.

https://www.tamus.edu/regents/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2021/07/AGENDA-July-26-2021-Special-BOR-Meeting-Telephonic-2.pdf

Now, assuming this is a fait accompli with Texas and OU:

Possible 9-game conference schedule using proposed pods

Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Oklahoma

I'd guess there would be an attempt to avoid scheduling what are considered traditional powers from other pods simultaneously if it is purely rotating...also, would there be a permanent opponent from each of the other pods?  That would give 6 permanent games, leaving three to rotate.  

Life lessons:

Get it in an email 

Always get it sign in print

never write do crime with checks 

That was foolish to believe in a gentleman’s agreement 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, bigbird said:

I'd rather it be...

North: UK, Mizzou, Tenn, Vandy 

EAST: USCe, UGA, UF, AU 

SOUTH: Bama, OM, MSU, LSU 

WEST: UTx, TAMU, OU, Arky, 

IDK how the conference championship would work, but for the most part these are pretty well balanced divisions (north is pretty weak but TN could use it lol).

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

IDK how the conference championship would work, but for the most part these are pretty well balanced divisions (north is pretty weak but TN could use it lol).

Weekend 1: North champion plays South champion and East champion plays West champion

Weekend 2: winners play

And really, most likely 3 (sorry north) or at least 2 pod champions will make it into the playoffs.

• Like 2

Just now, bigbird said:

Weekend 1: North champion plays South champion and East champion plays West champion

And really, most likely 3 (sorry north) or at least 2 pod champions will make it into the playoffs.

I still like the two rotating groups idea (three perma, two sets of six that swap every two years).

23 minutes ago, AUwent said:

North: UK, Mizzou, Tenn, Vandy 

EAST: USCe, UGA, UF, AU 

SOUTH: Bama, OM, MSU, LSU 

WEST: UTx, TAMU, OU, Arky, 

You folks are limiting your creativity because of geography.   Stop with the nonsense and build some exciting and more balanced pods:

The Country-Strong Pod:         Auburn,  A&M,  Miss State, Ark   (could also be 'the  BBQ pod')

The We Love Ourselves Pod:  bama, Texas, UGA, Tenn

Always Let Down  Pod:  UK, Mizzou, Vandy, Choklahoma   

Gumbo and Seafood Pod:  LSU, UF,  USCe,  Ole Miss   (could also be, 'we're here for the party pod')

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I still like the two rotating groups idea (three perma, two sets of six that swap every two years).

No way, no how....Auburn always get screwed in a perma type scenario "because of tradition".

Time to put Auburn's program first and get a balanced shot at winning a title.   Tired of having one of the toughest schedules in the country every dag gum year.  This year I think we are #2.  Happens so often, Auburn fans don't even realize it anymore.  Why should getting to Atlanta be harder for Auburn?  Oh, because we want to hear Keith Jackson say something like, "the South's oldest rivalry" during the pregame?  Or discuss how Saban and Ala-bama are like tide of old when we played them in BHM?    Going to Atlanta gets me way more jazzed.  

Get with the times and get to Atlanta.  That's the name of the game now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Beaker said:

No way, no how....Auburn always get screwed in a perma type scenario "because of tradition".

Time to put Auburn's program first and get a balanced shot at winning a title.   Tired of having one of the toughest schedules in the country every dag gum year.  This year I think we are #2.  Happens so often, Auburn fans don't even realize it anymore.  Why should getting to Atlanta be harder for Auburn?  Oh, because we want to hear Keith Jackson say something like, "the South's oldest rivalry" during the pregame?  Or discuss how Saban and Ala-bama are like tide of old when we played them in BHM?    Going to Atlanta gets me way more jazzed.  

Get with the times and get to Atlanta.  That's the name of the game now. 

Ok, so how would you propose a realistic, non-joke format?

The permanent opponents proposal from back in 2016 was UAT, UGA and Clanga. I feel like if you were to put LSU or Florida in there then yes it would be unfair. But if Clanga is our third perma opponent then I feel it's good.

On the other hand, if us and UAT were to move to the east, then you could probably kiss perma cross division rivalries goodbye...then again UAT might really want their rivalry with LSU and I'm sure they'd pair us with the Land Thieves.

Edited by AUwent

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Honestly, I suspect the SEC will get some kind of automatic bid (three teams) in the playoffs as a result of this consolidation.    Is there a need for an SECCG if we get three teams into the playoffs?    Sit tight everyone...breath, and think about it for a second.    

The real desire is to get in the playoffs.   I know this is 'out there,'  but why should both teams play if they are both in the playoffs?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AUwent said:

The way I was thinking is a rotating schedule. 

For example...

Year one:  North plays South plus 2 from East

Year two: North plays East plus two from west

Year three: North plays West plus two from South

Year four: North plays South plus two from East not played in year 1

Year five: North plays East plus two from West not played in year two

Year six: North plays West plus two from South not played in year three.

Ok, so how would you propose a realistic, non-joke format?

The permanent opponents proposal from back in 2016 was UAT, UGA and Clanga. I feel like if you were to put LSU or Florida in there then yes it would be unfair. But if Clanga is our third perma opponent then I feel it's good.

On the other hand, if us and UAT were to move to the east, then you could probably kiss perma cross division rivalries goodbye.

Hmm...

Ok, for real:

Pod 1:  bama,  Fla 

Pod 2:  LSU, Texas 

Pod 3: UGA, TAMU

Pod 4:  Oklahoma, Auburn

This is pretty balanced and creates some new excitement.

Then you fill in the blanks with the remaining programs.  

That gives you 3 perma opponents I guess (yeah I am eating my hat) and then rotate or lottery draw the remaining schedule.  

We would still play 'our old rivalries' in some sort of rotation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Hmm...

Ok, for real:

Pod 1:  bama,  Fla 

Pod 2:  LSU, Texas 

Pod 3: UGA, TAMU

Pod 4:  Oklahoma, Auburn

This is pretty balanced and creates some new excitement.

Then you fill in the blanks with the remaining programs.  

That gives you 3 perma opponents I guess (yeah I am eating my hat) and then rotate or lottery draw the remaining schedule.  

We would still play 'our old rivalries' in some sort of rotation. 

Wait, that's two teams per pod and not four.

Wait, that's two teams per pod and not four.

"Then you fill in the blanks with the remaining programs.  "

Priority 1:  try to balance the top.

Priority 2:  the bottom half usually are not players in the championship race on an annual basis

That's my attempt to give the top 8 programs a balanced road to the championship.   I know this is conjecture (?), but Texas is about to get good if they can say they're in the SEC during a recruiting visit.   They haven't been relevant in 15 yrs. 

Edited by Beaker

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

"Then you fill in the blanks with the remaining programs.  "

I think SEC Network did the job for us.

1: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

2: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

3: LSU, Mississippi, MSU, Texas A&M

4: Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I think SEC Network did the job for us.

?

It is really crazy how much these schools hate each other. Consensus seems the Aggies don't want to be in a pod with tu. TU thinks the Aggies are wimps if they don't face them in the pod, but wouldn't care either way. Texas really wants to renew their rivalry with Arkansas, even though Arkansas hates them. I don't think the SEC will put them in the same pods. I saw one aggy fan say we will be like Auburn now lol.