Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

Bjork said on Saturday that A&M was aware of the potential for expansion in the conference, but that "we were all surprised about the speed and acceleration piece of this. We knew about realignment potential and the future of the Big 12 in particular and what those dynamics were."

Looks like how fast things were going surprised they ags not necessarily the addition of Texas and OU.

Just spitballin' here....completely changing the dynamics:

Old school SEC division vs New SEC school division.

Geographic divisions create a small competition between East and west etc.   But old school SEC   and new school team division would create a more intense rivalry between divisions.  

Who is better the old guard / founders,  or the new SEC teams?  SECCG would get even more intense within a couple  years.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

46 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Sorry if someone asked and someone answered already.  

If they did four pods.  How would Championship game work??

The winner gets the trophy. 😁

Seriously though, I do t think that's been discussed yet. I'd assume a quarter-final and a final 

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The winner gets the trophy. 😁

Seriously though, I do t think that's been discussed yet. I'd assume a quarter-final and a final 

So another extra game potentially on top of new playoff system? How many games would that be in a season for a team making Championship game?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

So another extra game potentially on top of new playoff system? How many games would that be in a season for a team making Championship game?

i-dont-know.gif

• Like 1

True confession:

I woke up this morning just fine.   I was feeling good and knew I had some projects to complete.  Then I was walking to the kitchen to get a glass of water with some green mio in it  and remembered Texas is coming to the SEC and all this circus that is going on.    Made me want to toss my cookies.  

Silver lining (because I am a glass half full kinda guy):  we get some realignment or pod or a pull-a-schedule from the hat system. 

#itsallgood

Edited by Beaker

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

So ....

Lol

The cannibalization that would take place in the SEC would be massive.  This would actually be good for teams in other conferences. 

If all this ^ takes place, they'll role up Notre Dame and USC, start kicking out Mizzzou and Vandy and such, and drop the name SEC. Looks like the beggining of a new league to me. With the unlimited budgets and deals going around and the new NIL environment- combined with impending doom of the NCAA: any business man would do just this. Carve out  a new league of heavey hitters and abandon the rest of fbs/fcs. Only the value of tradition can hold together the status quo, and it's not near enough.

Edited by jAUSon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

someday everyone will be in the SEC.

It's the NCSEC.....

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Is that one of  your kids???? If so you may want to have a talk with your wife could be a problem 

He's the red-headed step child

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Win4AU said:

The cannibalization that would take place in the SEC would be massive.  This would actually be good for teams in other conferences. 

I think bringing in so many elite programs hurts the SEC because of what @Win4AU posted.  The SEC better get more guaranteed spots because they have more guaranteed capable programs.

also...

Texas should be paying the SEC and every program through the nose for years to come in order be able to join.  

Oklahoma brings a lot to the table (they've won their conf for what 6 yrs in a row).  Texas has what, one upset win (over thUGA) in the last 10 yrs?  They project to be a mid level type SEC program at present.    They will get better recruits and THEY  WILL BENEFIT from the SEC.   

How does the SEC benefit?  They better bring several bags cash for yrs to come.   

I am still not on board...

And don't throw, "what has UK or Ark done?"   They are in the SEC and been scrapping in the SEC for decades.   They've been paying the price and helping to build the reputation. 

On 7/23/2021 at 4:52 PM, Beaker said:

By adding one power (OU) and another team (Texas), would the SEC be able to get 3 into the playoffs every year in the 12 team format? 

@Beaker more like 4 or 5 teams yearly.

I just have a feeling we will get stuck with a our "rival games" in bama and thUGA in some new system and be forever screwed with scheduling again

I have no problem with that as long as all 9 major programs in the conference has to play their top 2 rivals yearly..

Just when I thought going to pods was going to help us out. 

Pods should be pretty balanced.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, AUBwins said:

Make it a semifinal in conference for pod winners, and the winners face off.  Won't happen with the expanded playoffs but was a nice possibility if we ever got to 4 super conferences.  This would essentially give a 16 team playoff and the actual semifinal would be the conference winners.  Not relevant to the current landscape though. 

@AUBwins I will say this. That with 16 looking like a real possibility on playoff expansion I'm ok with pods then because pod champs could be guaranteed playoff spots.

• Like 3

If the 20 team thing comes to pass, the conference champion should just get an automatic bid to the NC to play whatever hapless team from outside the conference is highest ranked. Hell, why even have an outside of conference playoff? At that point anyone outside those 20 might as well be G5 teams. Would suck to see teams like ND, Wisconsin, Penn State, Va Tech, and USCw left out but it is what it is.

On the bright side, @bigbird, your north pod may not be so weak anymore.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 8:02 AM, KnightTiger said:

so if A&M does leave and IF Oklahoma and Texas join that only leaves us with fifteen teams asuming Mizzou doesnt leave as well who do we get for #16?

Go balls to walls after ND of course.

We will need to rename the SEC if we get all of these northern conferences.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:27 PM, Beaker said:

Hmm...

Ok, for real:

Pod 1:  bama,  Fla 

Pod 2:  LSU, Texas 

Pod 3: UGA, TAMU

Pod 4:  Oklahoma, Auburn

This is pretty balanced and creates some new excitement.

Then you fill in the blanks with the remaining programs.  

That gives you 3 perma opponents I guess (yeah I am eating my hat) and then rotate or lottery draw the remaining schedule.  

We would still play 'our old rivalries' in some sort of rotation. 

@Beaker I promise you any pod system will have at least 1 rival in the same pod for each of the 9 power teams. None of the pods you have listed has natural rivals in the pods for each team.

On 7/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Beaker said:

Is there a need for an SECCG if we get three teams into the playoffs? 

@Beaker Yes. The SECCG is a massive money maker for the SEC & will continue to be.

Alright, so:

North: Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

East: Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, South Carolina

South: Alabama, Auburn, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State

West: Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

• Like 4