Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

This was from yesterday

They have so much money . The buyout is probably a drop in a bucket , not to mention they could drag it on in court for years. 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

CBS no longer has the rights to SEC football starting in 2024 as an FYI

Figuratively speaking. The contracts will get redone with the additions. There will now be two prime games pretty well every weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

Figuratively speaking. The contracts will get redone with the additions. There will now be two prime games pretty well every weekend. 

ESPN isn't letting either one go.  I imagine the new contract has language where ESPN gets exclusive negotiating rights if a realignment were to occur.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I'm trying to figure out where the 'greater academic achievement' comes from bc we are adding two juggernaut sports universities?

And I really haven't seen where the SEC feels it gives them, in the end more money. It's all about the money, right? 

Didn't we just enter into a new tv agreement for 2025? So how does brining in 2 new teams allow even more money to flow to the conference?

Texas academics are rated even with or better than any school in the SEC. OU is no bammer in that respect either. 😉  They have some surprisingly high rankings in some fields. 

More games on TV - Texas-UGA or OU-UF, and as much as I hate to say it, either vs bammer will be a national audience. Texas-ATM and Texas-Arkie are traditional rivalries that will fire up both fanbases to turn on the TV. Most of the country hates OU, so that too will draw eyeballs nationally to see them get their comeuppance. This will all draw advertisers and $. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

This is a shocker, since the P12 has traditionally been opposed to taking any school with a religious affiliation, ie BYU and, in this case, Baylor. I would have thought Baylor would get left out if anyone did. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

19 pages is too much reading. So I’ll just skip to the end and give my 2 cents. The only groups that benefit from this decision are Texas and Oklahoma. The SEC as a whole gains very little from it since we already have Texas viewership from A&M, and it isn’t like we need them to add prestige. The only major rivalry that would be gained is Texas/TAMU, and TAMU is strongly against it, probably because it will crush their recruiting. The schools are also poor fits culturally for the SEC. I’m betting this ends up being like the Aaron Rodgers story when all is said and done. The talking heads will make it out to be a big deal, but it is never really going to happen.

I respect you opinion, but see it a little different. With Tamu (assume half of texas CFB fans) you get the other half by bringing in Texas. Surely you get major Oklahoma viewership. Also get a lot more good games. Not sure all that points toward easier schedule for AU, but surely all schedules will generally get tougher fiat all in SEC.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Somebody may have already mentioned this but as long as Notre Dame has the NBC contract and doesn’t have to split it with anyone why would they join any conference?

@Win4AU Not sure how the NBC contract will work but they will have to join a conference & they know it. They won't have access to the playoffs if they aren't in a conference.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

19 pages is too much reading. So I’ll just skip to the end and give my 2 cents. The only groups that benefit from this decision are Texas and Oklahoma. The SEC as a whole gains very little from it since we already have Texas viewership from A&M, and it isn’t like we need them to add prestige. The only major rivalry that would be gained is Texas/TAMU, and TAMU is strongly against it, probably because it will crush their recruiting. The schools are also poor fits culturally for the SEC. I’m betting this ends up being like the Aaron Rodgers story when all is said and done. The talking heads will make it out to be a big deal, but it is never really going to happen.

I hate it, but its happening.  Get used to the idea of UT and OU in the SEC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@Win4AU Not sure how the NBC contract will work but they will have to join a conference & they know it. They won't have access to the playoffs if they aren't in a conference.

Why not?  As long as they can continue to put together strong schedules year in and year out, ND absolutely has a path to the playoff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I respect you opinion, but see it a little different. With Tamu (assume half of texas CFB fans) you get the other half by bringing in Texas. Surely you get major Oklahoma viewership. Also get a lot more good games. Not sure all that points toward easier schedule for AU, but surely all schedules will generally get tougher fiat all in SEC.

I agree, but Aggie is much less than half of the fans here. The proportion is more like the general public fanbase in Alabama, comparing bammer (UT) to AU (Aggie), perhaps even more lopsided than that because of UT's dominance in the series. So, UT brings far more Texas eyeballs, and OU brings quite a few of its own, plus the national audiences for both. 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Why not?  As long as they can continue to put together strong schedules year in and year out, ND absolutely has a path to the playoff.

I think you actually hit the point there without realizing it. ND won't be able to put together much of a schedule anymore if all the majors are worried about grinding through a 20 team conference. 

• Like 1

I keep seeing 

""The  UT Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife "has the money lined up" to pay Big 12 buyout.""

That is really nice for UT, but

Does anyone know if Oklahoma has a buyout and "has the money lined up"?

I assume they will come up with it if they haven't already, but I am curious.

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The money is there. Pumping it out of the ground every day. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I keep seeing 

""The  UT Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife "has the money lined up" to pay Big 12 buyout.""

That is really nice for UT, but

I assume they will come up with it if they haven't already, but I am curious.

OU's alumni base is very wealthy. I know at least one guy who is diehard OU oil money that the entire buyout would be about like buying a used car or a nice piece of furniture is for most of us from a financial perspective. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Beaker said:

Are you saying you liked things before the 4 team playoff?

The 2004 Auburn Tigers are calling your phone as we speak I am pretty sure.    The playoffs had to evolve and  the  playoff committee allows favoritism (al la bama not winning their division but get placed into the playoffs).  I am ok with expanded playoffs, but I think superconferences are bad for CFB.  

Well the playoffs have objectively fielded a less enjoyable postseason. The semis have been largely horrendous and there’s been even less parity in the title games. They’ve also sucked for the most part. Bowl games don’t even matter anymore, and the coverage matches that sentiment. And we’ve still had issues with deserving teams getting leapfrogged for the playoffs, the biases and reasoning has just shifted

4 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I think you actually hit the point there without realizing it. ND won't be able to put together much of a schedule anymore if all the majors are worried about grinding through a 20 team conference. 

Disagree.  There will still likely be room for one big non-conference game each year.  Too much money at stake.  With that, getting the brand name of ND on the schedule will remain attractive.

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

OU's alumni base is very wealthy. I know at least one guy who is diehard OU oil money that the entire buyout would be about like buying a used car or a nice piece of furniture is for most of us from a financial perspective. 

Everyone knows about UT being money heavy,  I just never thought of Okie being a money heavy school.    

Thanks for the info

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Whoa.  Not to the merging, big 12 was basically merging with someone to survive. Surprised over Texas Tech not being asked.  I figured Kansas wouldn't go.  

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Everyone knows about UT being money heavy,  I just never thought of Okie being a money heavy school.    

Thanks for the info

YW. 

Fun fact: Why do most of the school's in the SWC and lower half (geographically) of the B12 have "Ex Student's Associations" instead of "Alumni Associations"? Because so many in the early days left school without graduating to make their fortunes in oil, land and cattle. The schools all wanted to retain their associations with these Exes. The premise has held to this day, with numerous early stage companies that have come out of UT in particular whose founders did not graduate, the most famous being Michael Dell. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

The OU alum just texted me, he is "thrilled" with the move, and alluded to an alum/fan base in Atlanta that is very excited. He says more will be known Friday, but WVA and Kansas may go ahead and bolt, which means no more B12 and thus no buyout. I assume to the B1G. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

The SEC deal was too expensive for CBS to renew last year, so i'd be surprised if they jumped back in now with even more valuable media rights deals on the table. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

I'm trying to figure out where the 'greater academic achievement' comes from bc we are adding two juggernaut sports universities?

@steeleagle Not sure about OU but Texas is a respected academic institution.

And I really haven't seen where the SEC feels it gives them, in the end more money. It's all about the money, right? 

They will greatly increase the money for the SEC. TV contracts will be renegotiated & the SEC will get a lot more money than they are already getting. Also Texas is the #1 revenue athletics program in thenation & OU is #8. So yeah it's about the money & a butt ton of it.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So how does brining in 2 new teams allow even more money to flow to the conference?

Explained above. TV contracts will be renegotiated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The SEC deal was too expensive for CBS to renew last year, so i'd be surprised if they jumped back in now with even more valuable media rights deals on the table. 

I don't think CBS jumps back in either, but you could see someone like, say, YouTube TV go all out to accelerate the cord-cutting trend by competing for the contract. Maybe even a Fubo? Maybe not, but YTTV has Google $ to back them. Could get crazy. At the very least, ESPN has to roll LHN into the SEC network, and see @ellitor's post noting athletic department revenues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Yeah ok nice try Sankey not gonna believe you about this at all 😂 

@autiger88 what are you calling BS on? Texas & OU did reach out to the SEC, not vice versa. Now that the door has opened the SEC will now be proactive on things.