Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

11 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Whoa.  Not to the merging, big 12 was basically merging with someone to survive. Surprised over Texas Tech not being asked.  I figured Kansas wouldn't go.  

Texas Tech academics are not that great plus they are in Lubbock.  Ever been there?  Its a ****hole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

The only groups that benefit from this decision are Texas and Oklahoma.

Wrong.

59 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

The SEC as a whole gains very little from it

Wrong. The SEC & every school in the SEC will benefit greatly financially from adding Texas & OU.

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

The talking heads will make it out to be a big deal, but it is never really going to happen.

It's already virtually happened. Now just dotting the Is & crossing the Ts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

YW. 

Fun fact: Why do most of the school's in the SWC and lower half (geographically) of the B12 have "Ex Student's Associations" instead of "Alumni Associations"? Because so many in the early days left school without graduating to make their fortunes in oil, land and cattle. The schools all wanted to retain their associations with these Exes. The premise has held to this day, with numerous early stage companies that have come out of UT in particular whose founders did not graduate, the most famous being Michael Dell. 

This merger make me nervous.   NIL is stating right when we bring in a bunch of money heavy teams. 

what is going to stop these money men from saying, "you sign with us  I will NIL you for your image (for something stupid or cheap)  like you name on a shirt.    They could guarantee they sell 100,000 shirts and you get $15 per shirt...   and the money man just buy up all the shirts?   Hell,  he could resell them again if he want,  and buy them up again.   Same shirts over  years one money man could stream a lot of money to a player over time.  multiple money men,  to multiple players.

How will MS state compete? 

Is rich Vanderbilt (or the ivy league schools) about to become a dominant powerhouse  like before they de-emphasized athletics?

It will be exciting to see what the college football landscape looks like in 2030.    

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

19 pages is too much reading. So I’ll just skip to the end and give my 2 cents. The only groups that benefit from this decision are Texas and Oklahoma. The SEC as a whole gains very little from it since we already have Texas viewership from A&M, and it isn’t like we need them to add prestige. The only major rivalry that would be gained is Texas/TAMU, and TAMU is strongly against it, probably because it will crush their recruiting. The schools are also poor fits culturally for the SEC. I’m betting this ends up being like the Aaron Rodgers story when all is said and done. The talking heads will make it out to be a big deal, but it is never really going to happen.

I don't like it either but this keeps the SEC as the premier conf in college football. I'll go ahead and assume that Texas and OK were leaving the big 12 regardless. So if SEC turns them down that means that go to Big10 or PAC12 with it most likely being the Big10. Add those 2 schools to the Big10 and i think you have an argument that is a better conf than the SEC. 

It will be interesting to see where the dust settles in all this. We'll either go super conferences or a couple big names will move around and we'll settle with a couple 16 team conf and probably a new conference gets created. Think Mountain West merge with remaining big12 schools...  

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Texas Tech academics are not that great plus they are in Lubbock.  Ever been there?  Its a ****hole.

Nothing there I can disagree with. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why not?  As long as they can continue to put together strong schedules year in and year out, ND absolutely has a path to the playoff.

@Brad_ATX because the playoffs will be structured that way when there are 2 to 4 superconferences handling it. Also goes with the super conferences likely breaking away from the NCAA in football.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It will be exciting to see what the college football landscape looks like in 2030.

It will probably look a lot like the NFL. A bunch of overpaid,  arrogant, show-boating,  clowns, that looks like idiots every time they score a TD  scooting alone the ground like a dog trying to wipe his butt. 

Edited by cctiger
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

This merger make me nervous.   NIL is stating right when we bring in a bunch of money heavy teams. 

what is going to stop these money men from saying, "you sign with us  I will NIL you for your image (for something stupid or cheap)  like you name on a shirt.    They could guarantee they sell 100,000 shirts and you get $15 per shirt...   and the money man just buy up all the shirts?   Hell,  he could resell them again if he want,  and buy them up again.   Same shirts over  years one money man could stream a lot of money to a player over time.  multiple money men,  to multiple players.

How will MS state compete? 

Is rich Vanderbilt (or the ivy league schools) about to become a dominant powerhouse  like before they de-emphasized athletics?

To your point, there is nothing to stop them. There wasn't before they were in the SEC, either. We need to face it, AU does not have the money horses to compete at this level, especially if the NCAA breaks up and scholarship limits go away. Bammer might not last long post-Saban either. Our best shot is to get as much $ as we can from being an SEC member before it all comes apart. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@Brad_ATX because the playoffs will be structured that way when there are 2 to 4 superconferences handling it. Also goes with the super conferences likely breaking away from the NCAA in football.

Until otherwise shown, ND will be taken care of by power brokers.  They always are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Until otherwise shown, ND will be taken care of by power brokers.  They always are.

Possibly but from all accounts I've seen reported the past week they will have to do it from the comforts of the ACC or Big Ten.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Possibly but from all accounts I've seen reported the past week they will have to do it from the comforts of the ACC or Big Ten.

This may all change tomorrow but most of ND schedule is a quasi ACC Big10 schedule.  I haven’t seen anything from the ACC but the Big10 has already said they’re good.  If ND can fill up their schedule with ACC, Big10, Stanford and USC they will be fine.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I hate it, but its happening.  Get used to the idea of UT and OU in the SEC.

Agree to disagree. Sankey’s response was essentially that they were going to poll the schools to decide. I can’t think of a single university that has a reason to back them being added, especially TAMU and those being potentially realigned to another division.

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

Agree to disagree. Sankey’s response was essentially that they were going to poll the schools to decide. I can’t think of a single university that has a reason to back them being added, especially TAMU and those being potentially realigned to another division.

I can think of an extra $15M reasons per year that each school would back this happening.  OU and UT dont leave the Big 12 and apply for membership without already knowing the vote.

Edited by Brad_ATX

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

Thats a formality. He wouldn't "poll" anyone unless he already knew what the answer was. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wrong.

Wrong. The SEC & every school in the SEC will benefit greatly financially from adding Texas & OU.

How?

How?

The latest news from Sankey is that he’s essentially going to poll the universities to make the decision. So, I’m not sure I see how it’s a done deal. It was a done deal that Aaron Rodgers was not coming back to Green Bay a month ago according to the sports media as well. Look how that one turned out.

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wrong.

“Financially”

Fans (who matter the most) won’t benefit

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I can think of an extra $15M reasons per year that each school would back this happening.

I’m not sure I see how it would add money to the conference though. It wouldn’t expand the TV market much. We already have a connection in Texas, and who gives a f*** about the Oklahoma tv market. And Texas had a tendency to suck up money and try to dominate conference politics, which is why TAMU left to begin with. I think it hurts the other schools more than it helps financially.

• Like 1

Just now, ScotsAU said:

I’m not sure I see how it would add money to the conference though. It wouldn’t expand the TV market much. We already have a connection in Texas, and who gives a f*** about the Oklahoma tv market. And Texas had a tendency to suck up money and try to dominate conference politics, which is why TAMU left to begin with. I think it hurts the other schools more than it helps financially.

Renegotiations.  College football is now more national than ever.  Its about selling ads for big games.  Live sports are now the #1 thing driving people to sit in front of a tv and have a traditional cable subscription.  Now if you add some of these games to a subscription service like ESPN+, the money just grows for the network exponentially.

You're looking at 2005 metrics for a media rights and distribution world that has changed dramatically.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

Sanky has turned out to be a HUGE drop off from Slive. These suits could care less about tradition. 

Slive expanded the conference too.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Renegotiations.  College football is now more national than ever.  Its about selling ads for big games.  Live sports are now the #1 thing driving people to sit in front of a tv and have a traditional cable subscription.  Now if you add some of these games to a subscription service like ESPN+, the money just grows for the network exponentially.

You're looking at 2005 metrics for a media rights and distribution world that has changed dramatically.

You don’t need a traditional cable subscription to get the ESPN suite of channels.

Regarding the JBoy Twitter post--

I don't believe any of it. The PAC12 has already said they won't be adding any former Big12 schools. Could be a smoke screen, but I don't see any real benefit to the PAC12.

Maybe Iowa State gets into the Big10. Maybe. Can't see how West Virginia is a good fit at all.

I think it is more likely the AAC, Mountain West, and C-USA absorb the former Big12 schools and try to persuade the NCAA they are the new Power 5 Conference.

Edited by subterranean_jack
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You don’t need a traditional cable subscription to get the ESPN suite of channels.

No.  But you do need something.  Even if its YouTube TV, etc.  And all of that gets kicked back to ESPN.

Not to mention the potential for games on ESPN+

1 minute ago, subterranean_jack said:

I don't believe any of this. The PAC12 has already said they won't be adding any former Big12 schools. Could be a smoke screen, but I don't see any real benefit to the PAC12.

Maybe Iowa State gets into the Big10. Can't see how West Virginia is a good fit at all.

I think it is more likely the AAC, Mountain West, and C-USA absorb the former Big12 schools and try to persuade the NCAA they are the new Power 5 Conference.

The NCAA does not control the football playoff.  Really, really important to remember here.

• Like 1