Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

Geez I hope AU can survive if it does go the super conference route. We have the fan support and we are located well relative to the recruits. But i don't know that we have the administration in place that would commit to spending the money required to stay competitive in that world. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Geez I hope AU can survive if it does go the super conference route. We have the fan support and we are located well relative to the recruits. But i don't know that we have the administration in place that would commit to spending the money required to stay competitive in that world. 

I wouldn't worry about 'survival' I think Auburn is better positioned than most schools to have a place in a Super Conference, but like someone on the last page mentioned, I do think AU will have to work extra hard to make sure it doesn't become a perennial 'middle of the road' program. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

The program will have to drastically improve as well as much much more money spent to ever not be middle ofnthe road. 

We've been middle of the road on the field for so long and lower half in facilities even with the new football only. 

The programs needs to get a big time nil deal for a player asap as well. Milo's ain't gonna cut it when other schools are pumping out 7 figure deals. 

I mean if we bump our allotment up 15-20 mill a year, you'd think we could/should spend more.

I know some have predicted the demise of the NCAA if super conferences are formed as a result of the latest movements in the FBS, but the NCAA will still have a role, albeit something akin to an overblown NAIA.

11 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I mean if we bump our allotment up 15-20 mill a year, you'd think we could/should spend more.

We should be  spending more anyway. We have similar revenues as a number of top teams in our conference but spend about half as much as they do.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

We should be  spending more anyway. We have similar revenues as a number of top teams in our conference but spend about half as much as they do.

That would be interesting to see that data on how much each team spends totally to put their product on the field.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

That would be interesting to see that data on how much each team spends totally to put their product on the field.

Agreed. Just passing on what some connected to the program have said.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:58 AM, TigerHorn said:

When you have OU and Texas added to the mix to play, why do you need Penn State or Washington? With those two added, CBS now has enough games to choose from each week to consider having two marquee games, rather than just one. Mo TV dollahs

WRT to cannibalism, if we replace LSU with a rotating game that might be Texas, OU, or one of the lesser teams, that helps or is a net zero in SOS. Right now, we get every major power but UF, and we occasionally get them too. In a pod, if we have bammer in-pod, plus UGA as a permanent external, that's four of our games. That leaves five games that aren't necessarily a team at the level of LSU recently (last year excepted), which is no tougher than our usual schedule unless we pull UF/OU/Utexas on a strong year. Even then, as long as we don't pull two of those three + LSU, then we're about even with where we are today.  

I hear you and you did a better job explaining yourself than I did, I think.

I fear we will have some  seasons where all of our mid level SEC programs or lower level programs are just hammered from the more elite SEC programs and  bottom level cannibalism, then you never see Ole Miss or Miss St or Tenn get a great season.   Or even UK or Mizzou get 8 wins a couple of yrs in a row- that is horrible for the SEC (and our reputation). 

That is my concern - the SEC plays 9 conf games, then 3 low level games and only marquee out of conference games during the playoffs.  Not sure that is a smart model.   

I get the reasoning, but I like playing Oregon, Wash, Clem, Penn State, etc.   I truly wish all the upper SEC programs did the same.   That is why I suggested a conf challenge like  BB does. 

Back to your point - YES, Auburn will benefit from this new schedule regarding SOS.  

Thanks for your post.  Insightful. 

Edited by Beaker

Warning:  another unpopular post.

I know none of think like this, but I sure hope Sanky remains ahead of the curve.   And the rumors that the SEC is still moving behind the scenes is important.  Personally, I don't like what is happening to CFB long term.  

What is the possibility the B10, B12, Pac 10 and ACC  decide they want to stick it to the SEC and collude to do so?   I know it would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight, but what if the ACC and B10 merged, then the remaining B12 merged with the P10?  I know the SEC would still have the most talent, but how would the dollars then flow regarding television money which seems to be driving the boat?

If something weird like that happened we would have to grab ND and ???  to help with viewership I would imagine.   I hate ND, but that would be a good, tactical move.   And maybe UCF or similar. 

I could see those other 4 conferences being butt-hurt enough to try to stick it to us. 

Also, if we merge with the ACC, can't we drop the NCAA and just form a new 'governing body' like Grant Teaff proposed 30 yrs ago? 

On 7/30/2021 at 3:13 PM, AUBwins said:

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUBwins @ellitor After TX and OK join, maybe we'll get enough money to cover the back of the jumbotron. Who knows, we might even get lucky and have enough to hide the back of the open support structure in the North end. Whew, we'd be high cotton then.  ;D    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

@AUBwins @ellitor After TX and OK join, maybe we'll get enough money to cover the back of the jumbotron. Who knows, we might even get lucky and have enough to hide the back of the open support structure in the North end. Whew, we'd be high cotton then.  ;D    

Agreed.  What a fail that turned out to be 😆

• Like 1

@Beaker I think the train is speeding down the track. Stoops of OK was interviewed and the topic of OSU following them in the past and now came up. At the end of the interview he said, "If OSU wanted to make a move they better not wait." He then let it slip and added, "I don't think Clemson and FSU are going to wait around." That sort of tells you where this could be headed and what other teams might be in the conversation. 

• Like 3

Just now, IronMan70 said:

"I don't think Clemson and FSU are going to wait around."

These 2 schools just make too much sense if we want big name expansions.  I've actually also liked the idea of Penn St as a buddy to tOSU over Michigan if you go to 20.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

That is my concern - the SEC plays 9 conf games, then 3 low level games and only marquee out of conference games during the playoffs.  Not sure that is a smart model.   

I get the reasoning, but I like playing Oregon, Wash, Clem, Penn State, etc.   I truly wish all the upper SEC programs did the same.   That is why I suggested a conf challenge like  BB does. 

That's not going to happen. PAC already plays 9 games and an OOC game. Most teams have games scheduled into the 30s.

We'll play 9 + OOC. Most good games is offset a little with a 12 team playoff 

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Warning:  another unpopular post.

I know none of think like this, but I sure hope Sanky remains ahead of the curve.   And the rumors that the SEC is still moving behind the scenes is important.  Personally, I don't like what is happening to CFB long term.  

What is the possibility the B10, B12, Pac 10 and ACC  decide they want to stick it to the SEC and collude to do so?   I know it would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight, but what if the ACC and B10 merged, then the remaining B12 merged with the P10?  I know the SEC would still have the most talent, but how would the dollars then flow regarding television money which seems to be driving the boat?

If something weird like that happened we would have to grab ND and ???  to help with viewership I would imagine.   I hate ND, but that would be a good, tactical move.   And maybe UCF or similar. 

I could see those other 4 conferences being butt-hurt enough to try to stick it to us. 

Also, if we merge with the ACC, can't we drop the NCAA and just form a new 'governing body' like Grant Teaff proposed 30 yrs ago? 

See what you're saying but it want happen there is very little left in the Big 12 anyone would want and for the ACC all they have is Clemson and maybe FSU from the old days. Like you said like bringing a knife to a gun fight. No one will be able to match what the SEC has today. Down the road things could change 

Well, IMO, the ACC does have a bit more than just Clemson & FSU. Miami is on the rise and UNC has become more competitive. And they play BB too.

I'm curious what will happen with Iowa State. They've become a good team in the past few years. Iowa and Nebraska already in the B1G. Their problem is, they don't have the academic cred that the B1G and PAC prefer. Okie State is pretty competitive in sports as well. But neither pulls in a lot of eyeballs to the TV market.

Will the Big12 schools add a few decent Group of 5 schools to re-make their conference? BYU, Houston, Louisiana and Boise State would be candidates, I'd think. Cincinnati could probably pick whichever of the 3 remaining conferences it wants to join -- if any.

Edited by AURex

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I hear you and you did a better job explaining yourself than I did, I think.

I fear we will have some  seasons where all of our mid level SEC programs or lower level programs are just hammered from the more elite SEC programs and  bottom level cannibalism, then you never see Ole Miss or Miss St or Tenn get a great season.   Or even UK or Mizzou get 8 wins a couple of yrs in a row- that is horrible for the SEC (and our reputation). 

Back to your point - YES, Auburn will benefit from this new schedule regarding SOS.  

Thanks for your post.  Insightful. 

YW! If you look at the thread on the TV deal I posted, it appears Sankey and the SEC is thinking exactly along the lines of two SEC games of the week as part of his leverage. Here's an excerpt on that point:

So when will Oklahoma and Texas begin play in the SEC? Right now, that’s partially determined by CBS, which controls the SEC’s game of the week until the end of the 2024 football season. But there’s already discussion that a deal might be made. What if ESPN got the SEC’s game of the week starting in 2022 and in exchange for that game coming to ESPN early, ESPN gave CBS the second best SEC game for several years? With Texas and Oklahoma now in the fold, the second best SEC game is a valuable proposition. The same thing could be true with Fox Sports and any claim they have on Texas and Oklahoma games going forward as a part of their Big 12 deal, might Fox want to air SEC games as well? In theory this could be an additional masterstroke for Sankey and the SEC. They’d have three networks promoting their games instead of one in the short term.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

He then let it slip and added, "I don't think Clemson and FSU are going to wait around." That sort of tells you where this could be headed and what other teams might be in the conversation. 

Shocked Chris Jericho GIF - Shocked ChrisJericho WWE - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beaker said:

That is my concern - the SEC plays 9 conf games, then 3 low level games and only marquee out of conference games during the playoffs. 

@Beaker That's not the long term plan on OOC games FWIW. The plan is to go down to 1 or no cupcake OOC games.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

what if the ACC and B10 merged

@BeakerACC may have to merge with the SEC to survive.

we would have to grab ND and ???  to help with viewership I would imagine. 

Not an option. ND has no desire to be in the SEC. If they go all in on a conference it will be the Big Ten or ACC.

can't we drop the NCAA and just form a new 'governing body' like Grant Teaff proposed 30 yrs ago? 

Very possible.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AURex said:

Iowa State...Their problem is, they don't have the academic cred that the B1G and PAC prefer.

Not sure about the PAC 12 but the BIG very well may take them because a requirement to enter the BIG is to be an AAU school on entry which Iowa St. is.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

The plan is to go down to 1 or no cupcake OOC games.

Why would you want tough nonconference games when you'll be playing 9 SEC games? How would that help a team, other than generating more TV money? It's not gonna help your playoff chances I wouldn't think.

• Like 1