Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Not saying it will not happen but those two schools don't bring as much together as UT and OU. Clemson maybe but not FSU..... jmo

Give Norvell another season.  He’s got that train back on track

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm all for pro-rel, in every sport, lol

I always said I wish it was like that in MLS but would never work because there's just not enough teams. Relegation works in England because of the combination of lots of clubs and small geographic area leading to hyper-localized fandoms based on proximity to a team mixed with some big brands.

Which, when I write it that way, seems a lot like a college setup here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

You said OU would have more losses and I said the same.  We are saying the same thing.  Going from zero to 3 losses is 'racking them up' relatively speaking.   Let's not argue semantics.  Silliness. 

Auburn has been playing big boy FB for decades and that is not going to change.  Nobody wants that to change...As I will say for the last time, there is no sense in Auburn getting wrangled into the hardest schedule of the SEC for 'tradition sake'.  This could happen because we have a dramatic history and if you are TV execs building schedules with the SEC office would you rather have Auburn or USCe  playing UF, thUGA, bama and LSU each year?  Auburn is sexy draw for ratings, the data has shown that.   

We have to have a mindset of how do we win 12 of 15 games and have gas in the tank when we have say 15 min left to play,  of the championship game (or maybe 1 min left and our opponent has the ball with heisman QB driving...).   Do we want to stumble across the finish line or  race through and grab the prize?   

Anyhow...good some good banter and I am sure the SEC office is inundated with programs wanting to influence the schedule process.   I hope and pray Auburn is doing the same. 

I never mentioned OU.  You misread what I wrote pretty badly.  I said it would be OK for us to lose 3 and still get in.  OK does not equal OU.

As for games, if you want to play creampuffs, petition to join the MAC.  I want as many big boy games as we can possibly fit into a schedule.  And I want that for all of college football.  Watching AU destroy Akron isn't interesting or worth my time on a Saturday anymore.  Give me more.

Edited by Brad_ATX

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm all for pro-rel, in every sport, lol

Boooooo

Pro/rel sucks.  MLS playoff chaos forever!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I never mentioned OU.  You misread what I wrote pretty badly.  I said it would be OK for us to lose 3 and still get in.  OK does not equal OU.

As for games, if you want to play creampuffs, petition to join the MAC.  I want as many big boy gamew as we can possibly fit into a schedule.  And I want that for all of college football.  Watching AU destroy Akron isn't interesting or worth my time on a Saturday anymore.  Give me more.

I don’t mind the big boy games as long as there is schedule parity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

As for games, if you want to play creampuffs, petition to join the MAC.  I want as many big boy games as we can possibly fit into a schedule.  And I want that for all of college football.  Watching AU destroy Akron isn't interesting or worth my time on a Saturday anymore.  Give me more.

Ok this is funny: You typed "OK" and I interpreted that as Oklahoma and I typed "OU".  That is on me.  And funny.

Let's agree to let this go.  Playing 9 SEC teams is organically a Big Boy football schedule.   But within those 9 games are probably a 100 ways to organize pods and schedules.   I am just saying, Auburn typically has the hardest road to ATL and I am tired of it.  How bout the SEC give us the 2nd or 3rd or 4th hardest road to the ATL?   That is all I am saying.  

I say that to say this - I love the tough out of conf games!   I went to the Auburn v Oregon.   I have my ticket for Auburn v Penn State and love the tough OOC games, but if we line up the PSUs and Oregons and Clemson's, then have to play the hardest SEC sched, jeez, we just made things harder than they need to be.   ( I loved the old Auburn vs FSU and vs Texas series in the 80's...)

This would be easier over a cold adult beverage than typing on a keyboard!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Oooh; I don't think playing any 9 game SEC schedule is cupcake.   I doubt you do, but maybe.   Not sure how you can play 9 SEC games and some easy OOC games and call it a cupcake sched.   Yes,   I agree 'steel sharpens steel,' but I hope Auburn fights tooth and nail to not let us get roped into a schedule where we play the hardest SEC sched every year and find ourselves on the bubble every year.   That very well could happen I am afraid. 

You said OU would have more losses and I said the same.  We are saying the same thing.  Going from zero to 3 losses is 'racking them up' relatively speaking.   Let's not argue semantics.  Silliness. 

Auburn has been playing big boy FB for decades and that is not going to change.  Nobody wants that to change...As I will say for the last time, there is no sense in Auburn getting wrangled into the hardest schedule of the SEC for 'tradition sake'.  This could happen because we have a dramatic history and if you are TV execs building schedules with the SEC office would you rather have Auburn or USCe  playing UF, thUGA, bama and LSU each year?  Auburn is sexy draw for ratings, the data has shown that.   

We have to have a mindset of how do we win 12 of 15 games and have gas in the tank when we have say 15 min left to play,  of the championship game (or maybe 1 min left and our opponent has the ball with heisman QB driving...).   Do we want to stumble across the finish line or  race through and grab the prize?   

Anyhow...good some good banter and I am sure the SEC office is inundated with programs wanting to influence the schedule process.   I hope and pray Auburn is doing the same. 

Best case scenario would be we end up in a pod with UAT, Tennessee and Vandy, and alternate between everyone else. Play two cupcakes a year.

The absolute nightmare scenario would be FSU and Clemson joining too, divisions are kept, and we stay in the west because gotta keep our rivalry with UAT, Missouri stays in the east, and permanent cross-division rivalries are kept. I sincerely doubt this happens, but I would not put it past the SEC to set a scheduling format this atrocious. I WILL quit following CFB if this is what they go with.

If we absolutely MUST go with abolishing cupcakes, this is how it should play out:

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/the-perfect-scheduling-solution/97506952/

Mind you, I still think it would be a bad idea--do you really think we'd have the depth for that schedule like UAT and UGA would? I fear inequality would be exacerbated.

Edited by AUwent

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

... I am just saying, Auburn typically has the hardest road to ATL and I am tired of it.  How bout the SEC give us the 2nd or 3rd or 4th hardest road to the ATL?   That is all I am saying.  

I say that to say this - I love the tough out of conf games!   I went to the Auburn v Oregon.   I have my ticket for Auburn v Penn State and love the tough OOC games, but if we line up the PSUs and Oregons and Clemson's, then have to play the hardest SEC sched, jeez, we just made things harder than they need to be.   ( I loved the old Auburn vs FSU and vs Texas series in the 80's...)

This would be easier over a cold adult beverage than typing on a keyboard!  ... 

I enjoy a good laugh and would really like to be present in the room when an AU representative requests of the SEC, "either the 2nd-4th hardest road to the ATL but not the toughest."  LOL

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Some of our fans SMH. This is Auburn man. It is never going to come easy. We got to get it through the mud. Word for the day is resiliency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Some of you guys got real Texas PTSD

Nah man.  I live here.  If you haven't dealt with this fan base on a daily basis, then you're gonna learn quickly.  They make Bama fans sound like normal folks.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Nah man.  I live here.  If you haven't dealt with this fan base on a daily basis, then you're gonna learn quickly.  They make Bama fans sound like normal folks.

I mean I was born and lived in Texas. Raised in bama.  Moved around a bunch in a military family. Seen about every type of culture and fanbase. Fans really don’t move the needle for me other than to make me laugh. But I am a different cookie. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I thought the same about uga folks after living in ATL for a few years. But when I go back to Alabama to visit... yeeeeikes. 

Not saying you're wrong, though. UT seems to be a very scary amalgamation of bama expectations and "commitment" but also UT(K) dysfunction executed by 10 Jerry Joneses who don't agree on anything. 

It comes with the territory . Alabama is the premier school and they have been successful so I am not surprised they are cocky. UGA has beaten us pretty bad lately and they are of course the premier school in their state . I am a Spurs fan and we are very obnoxious at times which is odd based on the class of players we’ve had throughout the years. I love the bravado as long as there is no blood shed or stupidity like poisoning trees. I am more annoyed at fans who are cocky but they will bring nothing to the table like when I worked in Springdale Arkansas and had to deal with Arkansas fans . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Brad is right.   Bama fans are obnoxious, Texas fans are arrogant:   I have texts from a buddy of mine - Texas fan stating "we will be alright, I compared our schedule to bama's this year and I see 9 wins if we had that schedule."

You have to go back to 2009 to find a  year where they played at that level (I do not count last yr's COVID circumstances).  

That is what Brad is talking about. I still hear how if their QB hadn't dislocated his shoulder vs bama, they would have beat bama in....?  2009?  

Edited by Beaker
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Brad is right.   Bama fans are obnoxious, Texas fans are arrogant:   I have texts from a buddy of mine - Texas fan stating "we will be alright, I compared our schedule to bama's this year and I see 9 wins if we had that schedule."

You have to go back to 2009 to find a  year where they played at that level (I do not count last yr's COVID circumstances).  

That is what Brad is talking about. I still hear how if their QB hadn't dislocated his shoulder vs bama, they would have beat bama in....?  2009?  

If this is as bad as it gets then that is nothing. Results speak for themselves. You can go to most quality team SEC boards and they say the same stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

The hell do you think you'd say if your two-time Heisman finalist QB got hurt on the first freaking possession of the game and you still only lost by 2 scores? They 100% should feel that way and so would we.

Besides, when do you think we're going to stop saying Virginia double dribbled? We certainly haven't stopped talking about the '83 screw job.

Plenty of reasons to make fun of UT and its fan base but that isn't one of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The hell do you think you'd say if your two-time Heisman finalist QB got hurt on the first freaking possession of the game and you still only lost by 2 scores? They 100% should feel that way and so would we.

Besides, when do you think we're going to stop saying Virginia double dribbled? We certainly haven't stopped talking about the '83 screw job.

Plenty of reasons to make fun of UT and its fan base but that isn't one of them.

I get your point, but don’t wholly agree with you.   I had to watch the entire TX v bama game - every play.  I was at his home.   I could expound, but don’t care to.

I get your point though   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I get your point, but don’t wholly agree with you.   I had to watch the entire TX v bama game - every play.  I was at his home.   I could expound, but don’t care to.

I get your point though   

Sounds like I don't know any Texas fans as well as you know that one. So I might be wrong about this particular situation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I thought the same about uga folks after living in ATL for a few years. But when I go back to Alabama to visit... yeeeeikes. 

Not saying you're wrong, though. UT seems to be a very scary amalgamation of bama expectations and "commitment" but also UT(K) dysfunction executed by 10 Jerry Joneses who don't agree on anything. 

#bandname

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, Beaker said:

Let's agree to let this go.  Playing 9 SEC teams is organically a Big Boy football schedule.   But within those 9 games are probably a 100 ways to organize pods and schedules.   I am just saying, Auburn typically has the hardest road to ATL and I am tired of it.  How bout the SEC give us the 2nd or 3rd or 4th hardest road to the ATL?   That is all I am saying.  

Tell that to some of our fans here, evidently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sounds like I don't know any Texas fans as well as you know that one. So I might be wrong about this particular situation.

Yeah, maybe...I believe my buddy is pretty typical. 

The sticking point with me was that they have lost 4 or more games every yr since 2009 and now, just looking at bama's schedule ( uhhh, an SEC schedule), now he sees 9 wins.    I am 99% sure they just fired their coach because they are not on the right trajectory.   But now they are magically a 9 win team, in the SEC?   

They have no idea  the impact on player's  health  and challenge to prep for the grind of an SEC schedule where you better bring your lunchbox to every SEC game.    They really have blinders on.  

Good chat - 

• Like 1