Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

Bringing Texas and OU in. The aggies , the pigs and Missouri can kick rocks if they whine. 

2 hours ago, autiger88 said:

What does that have to do with them saying no? That's like saying Auburn played Texas in the 80s so they will say yes🤷

i guess we will see......it just doesnt make sense to me that alabama would say no or anyone other than a&m and maybe mizzou would say no. but like i said guess we will see. i dont think it wouldve leaked out like it did if it didnt have smoke.

the confusing thing to me is if youre texas why give up youre longhorn revenue  cash . the longhorn network was one of the main reason a&m and mizzou bolted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t hate this.  You’d lock up our 2 biggest rivals and add old rivalries with Florida and Tennessee.  Away games to Austin would be fun.  I think the bigger issue would be the quality of the Big 12.  You’d almost need to bring Nebraska back into the conference.  

or the  big 12 could become the old southwest again speculation was  that may happen when nebraska mizzou a&m and colorado all bolted 

another factor i was just reminded of on another board the big 12 still has four more  years left on its grant of rights deal, its fun watching aggie fans melt over this though

1 hour ago, DAG said:

They would move Bama and Us to the east I bet.

That also basically solves the current rivals we don't want to give up.  We'd all be in the same division.  Allows for more rotations. 

• Like 1

Obviously hypothetical, but now Sark is at Texas.  One more former SEC voice to want to get a piece of the playoff pie.  Expanded playoffs change things as well.  Better chance of making it in SEC. Also, to be the first conference to go to 16, you are being proactive instead of reactive on landing big schools.  You are in driver's seat on expansion.  It's coming eventually and I think soon.  So better to get in front of it.  It's probably bogus though just to mess with AM media day.  

Report: Texas, Oklahoma contacted SEC about conference membership

ByAUSTIN NIVISON 2 hours ago

Share14 Comments

Projecting the order of finish for the SEC

Both Texas and Oklahoma expressed interested in making the move to the SEC, according to a report from Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle. In fact, an announcement about the the possible realignment might be on the horizon.

"Texas and Oklahoma of the Big 12 have both reached out to the Southeastern Conference about potentially joining the powerful league, a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation told the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday," Zwerneman writes. "An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said, which would give the SEC 16 schools and make it the first of a national super-conference."

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey declined comment in both the report itself, and to reporters Wednesday at SEC Media Days, per Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports.

"No comment on that speculation," Sankey said, via Dodd. Sankey later added: "We are only worried about the 2021 season. Somebody dropped a report from unnamed people."

Columnist Kirk Bohls reports that Oklahoma denied the "rumor" last week while the Texas administration was "very evasive."

Texas and Oklahoma would bring the SEC to 16 institutions, but they would not be the first Big 12 schools to make the move. Both Missouri and Texas A&M came over from the Big 12 in 2012.

Back in June, the staff at 247Sports had a roundtable discussion about potential realignment in college football. 247Sports editor Trey Scott wondered whether the formation of 16-team super-conferences would be best for the sport.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

14COMMENTS

"What’s better for college football: The AAC rising to the ranks of the Power 5, or parts of the Big 12 and Pac-12 dissolving to in turn merge and make it four 'Super Conferences?'" Scott asked. "In this instance, are Texas and Oklahoma even in the same conference any more? Does Kansas State become a G5 team? Colorado? Maybe they’d be more competitive in the smaller conferences but I can’t imagine it’s healthier for the sport for that to happen. It’s all so political … there’s also something weird about Texas being at the epicenter of all this, even though it’s true.

"I'm not a huge fan of 16-team conferences in which you might go eight years without playing a cross-divisional opponent."

• WarTiger changed the title to Are Texas and Oklahoma wanting to join the SEC?
11 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

What's the procedure on this?

3/4 of the conference has to say yes. So find five to say no and it won't happen.

Texas A&M, Mizzou, and LSU are all likely no's already.

12 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

What's the procedure on this?

How so?  I do know that 4 votes is needed but that's about it. I just wonder if there will be some behind the scenes posturing trying to get teams to vote no.

I do question how it would work out tho. Was reading some opinions of sports people and there seemed to be a consensus of "I question how they would react being equals to half of the conference"

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

3/4 of the conference has to say yes. So find five to say no and it won't happen.

Texas A&M, Mizzou, and LSU are all likely no's already.

Saw Arky mentioned too.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Saw Arky mentioned too.

I could see that since they recruit Texas and Oklahoma. Maybe Miss St too? 

What's the procedure on kicking out a team? 😆

I say relegation league. Worst two teams bumped down. One goes to the Sun Belt and the other to the AAC.

Champion of each conference bumps up into the SEC.

• Like 4

11 out of 14 teams have to approve

i am sure the Aggies, Arkansas and Missouri will say no. Why only 11 out 14.

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I say relegation league. Worst two teams bumped down. One goes to the Sun Belt and the other to the AAC.

Champion of each conference bumps up into the SEC.

image.gif.76b6956fbe4d1a3ca8e10bbab6dc6eaa.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

11 out of 14 teams have to approve

i am sure the Aggies, Arkansas and Missouri will say no. Why only 11 out 14.

Because as already mentioned it has to be 3/4 approval

A&M and Missouri  will likely look to LSU and Arkansas  for a sort of pact like  Georgia. Florida. Kentucky and South Carolina have

LSU, and Arky are at the moment pure speculation. I would say LSU could be more likely to vote "No" than Arkansas Arkansas has a large student base from Texas

18 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

Because as already mentioned it has to be 3/4 approval

That was a rhetorical question there big guy. 

my point is it should be majority rule of 14 votes. If 8 out of 14 says yes that should be it. 

Edited by DAG

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That was a rhetorical question there big guy. 

my point is it should be majority rule of 14 votes. If 8 out of 14 says yes that should be it. 

gotcha

texas fans are all in it seems

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 88 months ago, User Post Count: 31506

This ride is going to be all over the place. Buckle up.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 67 months ago, User Post Count: 17074

Is it true about the rumors of other schools strong arming Aggy?

Saying they will screw with them if they try too impede

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 70 months ago, User Post Count: 5597

The full comments by Bjork… full panic by Aggie. Beautiful.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 90 months ago, User Post Count: 4078

Dropped this in another thread, but I'll just leave it here.

This could be a big step - or even a false step. Nothing is done at this point. But it's not going to be boring heading into 2025, when the Big 12 rights agreement is up.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 2 months ago, User Post Count: 17

A&M can run but they can’t hide Texas and OU to the SEC folks doesn’t matter what those scary **** gaggies do they’ll always be in our shadows lmao #Hookem bring on those Texas vs LSU, Texas vs Bama, Texas vs Georgia I welcome the competition..

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 209 months ago, User Post Count: 12514

Is today the first you caught wind of this?

ChipBrown247 avatar

RealistHorn said... (original post) Is today the first you caught wind of this?

I knew there were some talks going on with the SEC, but had heard it might be about trying to merge the conferences rather than just Texas and OU bolting. We'll see where it ends up.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 67 months ago, User Post Count: 17074

ChipBrown247 said... (original post) This could be a big step - or even a false step. Nothing is done at this point. But it's not going to be boring heading into 2025, when t...

When would this occur?

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 67 months ago, User Post Count: 2046

How hilarious is this. It was aggy ‘s day to shine at SEC media day snd all everyone was talking about was Texas. Little brother, watch your back. Cuz we’re coming in DRY!

If there was talk of the SEC and Big 12 merging, that would probably be the impetus to drive the rest of the P5 to break away from the NCAA for football (while remaining with the NCAA for basketball and other sports).

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 95 months ago, User Post Count: 713

ChipBrown247 said... (original post) This could be a big step - or even a false step. Nothing is done at this point. But it's not going to be boring heading into 2025, when t...

Feel like if Texas and OU decide they’re leaving, 2025 isn’t going to prevent them from making an early exit. Especially with a potential announcement already floating around.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 68 months ago, User Post Count: 33

So basically none of this was breaking news you reported. Just more about TV deals than anything. Just wanted to hear sources and your thoughts what will happen or if you heard the same things as everyone else or any new input others haven’t posted about on Twitter.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 186 months ago, User Post Count: 2549

Wow, Aggies and Missouri are going into full butt-hurt mode. This is pretty dang funny. Man, I can only imagine the Gary Patterson-type negative recruiting calls coming out of College Station to every other SEC school. They are probably finding out rather quickly that the SEC preferred Texas and got stuck with the Aggies.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 91 months ago, User Post Count: 1314

Codylife25 said... (original post) So basically none of this was breaking news you reported. Just more about TV deals than anything. Just wanted to hear sources and your thoughts ...

Same

Just a recap of what we’ve heard

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 68 months ago, User Post Count: 33

Htowngreen said... (original post) SameJust a recap of what we’ve heard

Yeah it wasn’t anything we haven’t read on Twitter or any other site. I thought chip would have some good insights and sources and drop some more tea than what we already heard. Maybe he’s saving the best stuff for tomorrow, idk.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 6 months ago, User Post Count: 282

So no way we can back out of big 12 before 2025? There’s no buyout Chip?

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 115 months ago, User Post Count: 1908

Pretty funny that A&M upstaged the SEC media days by leaking this. They must not have the votes.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 107 months ago, User Post Count: 3940

Major changes are coming to college sports with NIL, transfer portal and a new playoff structure. The NCAA will be history and a new structure will take it's place. TV contracts are expiring in a few years so it's best to make your move now or get left behind.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 139 months ago, User Post Count: 1902

ChipBrown247 said... (original post) This ride is going to be all over the place. Buckle up.

So hypothetically Texas and OU were accepted. Would 2025 be the earliest we could join when the tv rights expire or could there be other ways to join shortly after being accepted in.

Ahoes avatar
Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 79 months ago, User Post Count: 338

Excellent job Chip! Always appreciate your insight on this topic. I think it would be a really great move.

user generatedIf nothing else, it’s fun to think about.

Texas_Rising avatar

Augustd23 said... (original post) The full comments by Bjork… full panic by Aggie. Beautiful.

The insecurity is palpable

waterboie said... (original post) Dropped this in another thread, but I'll just leave it here.

That’s so nastalgic of the posts when Malik broke their hearts.

ChipBrown247 said... (original post) I knew there were some talks going on with the SEC, but had heard it might be about trying to merge the conferences rather than just Texas and ...

Thanks. I’ve read things could be announced in 2-3 weeks - do you know if it’s going to be after the GOR or sooner?

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 109 months ago, User Post Count: 290

Things I'd love to hear Chip report on/explain:

1. What, exactly, are UT's contractual obligations to the conference and TV networks? Are there early ways out of those?
2. What, if any, are the Texas constitutional, statutory, and political hurdles to the move?
3. Could/would ESPN try to influence schools that are likely to oppose the move (e.g. A&M)?

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 79 months ago, User Post Count: 3775

ChipBrown247 said... (original post) This ride is going to be all over the place. Buckle up.

Divisions with sub-divisions

SEC West Division Sub Division A - Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas

SEC West Division Sub Division B Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss

SEC East Division Sub Division A Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbuilt

SEC East Division Sub Division B Miss State, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri

All teams within a subdivision play each year (3 games). Each teams plays two teams each from the other divisions (6 games) for a total of 9 conference games.

In the event the top two teams in a division will not have played each other, week 12 games can be rearranged to form a play off for those two teams.

For example, Texas and Alabama are both undefeated after week 11 but are not scheduled to play each other that year. Their respective week 12 opponents play each other so that Texas and Alabama can play to see who represents the west in SEC Championship.....while aggy melts down.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 88 months ago, User Post Count: 31507

RealistHorn said... (original post) Thanks. I’ve read things could be announced in 2-3 weeks - do you know if it’s going to be after the GOR or sooner?

I think A&M leaked this to screw everything up. As I said, nothing is done yet. But I heard the initial plan was to time up with end of GOR in 2025. We'll see now.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 91 months ago, User Post Count: 433

Texas won’t wait till 2025 to join the SEC, 2022 most likely.

ChipBrown247 said... (original post) I think A&M leaked this to screw everything up. As I said, nothing is done yet. But I heard the initial plan was to time up with end of GO...

Having an agreement in place to add TX and OU in a few years would give the SEC a strong position in negotiating it’s new TV deal, with an escalator tool lock in when they join.

davidhume avatar
Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 32 months ago, User Post Count: 1181

Chip, you said we won't give up Longhorn Network, so why are other sites saying that we are willing?

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 64 months ago, User Post Count: 1019

ChipBrown247 said... (original post) I think A&M leaked this to screw everything up. As I said, nothing is done yet. But I heard the initial plan was to time up with end of GO...

That just doesn’t make sense. Why leak it 4 years early, even if you are a&m? Just seems like Texas, OU, and the SEC have this moved further along than everyone thinks. Maybe they have talked to ESPN about helping pay for the buyout? In exchange for axing the LHN.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 79 months ago, User Post Count: 92

I will never join the SEC chanting pleabians in “sec sec sec”… nope.. no way.. I like my snobby burnt orange Texas Fight

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 7 months ago, User Post Count: 182

amann said... (original post) Pretty funny that A&M upstaged the SEC media days by leaking this. They must not have the votes.

Exactly. Aggie felt like they HAD to leak this today. If they were confident that UT and OU were NOT going to join the SEC, they would not have leaked it today.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 88 months ago, User Post Count: 31507

Codylife25 said... (original post) So basically none of this was breaking news you reported. Just more about TV deals than anything. Just wanted to hear sources and your thoughts ...

In an earlier post I stated I had heard there were some conversations with the SEC that might've been centered on merging the Big 12 and SEC conferences. We'll see where it ends up. If it's just Texas and OU, how the SEC divisions get aligned will play a big role in whether the SEC schools approve expansion or not. Only takes four dissenting votes to block it.

MikeFlo avatar
Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 64 months ago, User Post Count: 497

If leaked by A&M could there be any possible ramifications?

okie fans all in as well

Posted on 7 hrs, , User Since 178 months ago, User Post Count: 18490

I think this is the best option. It’s time to put the big boy pants on and play some real football.

Seriously though, I guess we are talking 3 years from now?

Posted on 6 hrs, , User Since 121 months ago, User Post Count: 2861

WhiskyKilo said... (original post) I think this is the best option. It’s time to put the big boy pants on and play some real football.Seriously though, I guess we are talking 3 ye...

I haven’t been a big supporter of joining the SEC but with the new rules on compensation, it’s by far the best option. The Big 12 is about to be left in the dust.

Posted on 6 hrs, , User Since 187 months ago, User Post Count: 8200

Aggies are already whining they want to be the only Texas team in the SEC - like that has helped them win anything - lol.

Posted on 6 hrs, , User Since 203 months ago, User Post Count: 1841

Ill believe it when I see it but winning this conference every single year is getting old. We need some competition.

Posted on 5 hrs, , User Since 1 months ago, User Post Count: 2

Aggies are already whining they want to be the only Texas team in the SEC .............................................thats your team Right Talikwah?

Posted on 5 hrs, , User Since 142 months ago, User Post Count: 16365

INVNOONE said... (original post) Ill believe it when I see it but winning this conference every single year is getting old. We need some competition.

It's not old for me. Honestly I enjoy seeing OU win it every year. I thought that is what we wanted. Am I wrong?

Posted on 4 hrs, , User Since 207 months ago, User Post Count: 1191

As a Mississippi State fan/alum we have almost no chance to compete for a conference title in football anyway so it really doesn't affect us. Ha. But I like the idea of having OU and UT in the SEC. Will make for some interesting matchups for the big boys.

Posted on 4 hrs, , User Since 160 months ago, User Post Count: 21054

Boy, this is sure going to piss off A&M.

• Posted on 4 hrs, , User Since 187 months ago, User Post Count: 8200

TopDog2021 said... (original post) Aggies are already whining they want to be the only Texas team in the SEC .............................................thats your team Right Tal...

Not a chance - can’t stand any team that is an Aggie - Texas or Oklahoma!

Posted on 3 hrs, , User Since 94 months ago, User Post Count: 1359

As a season ticket holder, I would love to host some big time college teams on Owen Field. OU has to join a different conference.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 160 months ago, User Post Count: 21054

I bet KU winds up in the B1G

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 160 months ago, User Post Count: 21054

TopDog2021 said... (original post) Aggies are already whining they want to be the only Texas team in the SEC .............................................thats your team Right Tal...

I would bet you if this is real, the SEC would kick A&M out to get texas and OU. They better not make to much noise.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 44 months ago, User Post Count: 139

This rumor appears to have some merit. I am sure the pending changes to the NCAA playoff system helped prompt the discussions. Now that a twelve team playoff is virtually a done deal, OU could realistically lose two games annually with a rigorous SEC schedule and still be a consistent playoff team.

Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 175 months ago, User Post Count: 136

The thing that would bother me a bit is that the SEC would go from an already strong conference, to an insanely strong one with the addition of OU and UT. Then you have the ACC and Big 10 with teams like Clemson and Ohio State having a MUCH easier path, while the SEC beats up on each other.

Of course a 12 team playoff might mitigate that somewhat.

I mean, for me, I'm young but I'm a tad old school. Mizzou and A&M never made much sense to me joining the sec. just like Nebraska had no business joining the big 10, or WVU joining the big 12. It is all inevitable to some degree. Things will happen, just have to take it in stride