Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

So it looks like this is official now word is coming down that Texas and Oklahoma did not accept what the big 12 had to say and are leaving and as long as there are no unforeseen circumstances will be in the SEC.🙄 

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-to-officially-leave-big-12-join-sec-report

Edited by autiger88

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Be careful with that. They getting to the SEC would open a lot more doors for recruiting. 

They still have to develop the talent the get which previous regimes haven't been. I will say them & OU joining the SEC makes them both more dangerous in terms of playoff talk, especially if we go to 12 or 16 teams playoffs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Even if they did you’d still have all the talent in the other states as well as more teams possibly poaching Texas kids.  In the Big 12 the only real place to recruit is Texas.  Battling UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Bama, TaMu, and Auburn for a kid is a lot different than battling TCU, Baylor, SMU, OkState, and Kansas.

Correct they know that. My point is, this benefits Texas greatly as now it opens more recruiting grounds for them. Texas kids were already getting poached on the basis that you could recruit the name of the SEC. Not anymore. Also NIL. I can only imagine the opportunities provided by Texas money.

Edited by DAG

Just now, autiger88 said:

Even if they were to become the next bama which I highly doubt they will, they still won't push anybody around especially the original founders of the SEC 🤣 Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, won't put up with that crap. They would just laugh in their face if they tried anything.

They'll try something, trust me. They are the quintessential "doesn't play well with others" kid that needs a royal ass-whipping. People forget how sneeringly dismissive they were toward A&M when that move was underway. 

I've resigned myself to this happening, though. Bleh. 

Just now, SLAG-91 said:

They'll try something, trust me. They are the quintessential "doesn't play well with others" kid that needs a royal ass-whipping. People forget how sneeringly dismissive they were toward A&M when that move was underway. 

I've resigned myself to this happening, though. Bleh. 

Oh I know they will but all I can say is good luck to them cuz I guarantee you most of the SEC is not the big 12 we're not going to put up with their crap.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Even if they did you’d still have all the talent in the other states as well as more teams possibly poaching Texas kids.  In the Big 12 the only real place to recruit is Texas.  Battling UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Bama, TaMu, and Auburn for a kid is a lot different than battling TCU, Baylor, SMU, OkState, and Kansas.

Disagree here. Texas & OU in the SEC will make it tougher for other teams to land the Texas HS talent that Texas & OU truly want.

• Like 5

Just now, woodford said:

Unless OU decides to invest in a defensive front, they’re going to get exposed in SEC play week in and week out. 

They will be because they will be able to recruit to do so. There won't be anymore recruiting to air raid offenses is my bet.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’m not familiar with the UT TaMu rivalry so I’m having a hard time understanding why they hate each other so much?  I get the rivalry but did something else happen that would make them not want to play each other every year?  I hate Bama and UGA like the rest but I’d also be disappointed to lose the Iron Bowl and the South’s oldest rivalry.

As far as pods go, how would you determine who plays in the SEC championship game?  Best overall record with tie breakers?  Does the Championship game cease to exist? 

I am reading the aggy board and OMG, their hatred for Texas is much much higher than the hatred between Bama and Auburn.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Be careful with that. They getting to the SEC would open a lot more doors for recruiting. 

Recruiting is national now

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Disagree here. Texas & OU in the SEC will make it tougher for other teams to land the Texas HS talent that Texas & OU truly want.

Its one or the biggest reasons why I don't understand LSU and Arkansas voting yes.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Its one or the biggest reasons why I don't understand LSU and Arkansas voting yes.

Because it is about money, money, money. The fans and the coaches might want a no, but I highly doubt the people who cast vote care about that.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

So that tells you how much money is at stake if they are willing to drop the bag like that.

23 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Oh I know they will but all I can say is good luck to them cuz I guarantee you most of the SEC is not the big 12 we're not going to put up with their crap.

Hopefully not. 

I could see a situation where Texas would threaten to leave/go independent if SEC didn't give them special treatment and the SEC caving because they don't want to lose the money and don't want the negative situation that teams leaving your conference has. 

Texas already has the most profitable athletic department in the country. They could easily go independent and get their own tv deal and do well like ND. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am reading the aggy board and OMG, their hatred for Texas is much much higher than the hatred between Bama and Auburn.

Full disclosure, I did postgraduate work at A&M, so I am not impartial here.

The A&M move to the SEC really ratcheted the genuine dislike up a lot, well beyond the typical rivalry stuff. The 1999 game after the Bonfire collapse was one where the rivalry truly took a back seat. Pre-split, I would have put the A&M-Texas rivalry hatred at "medium-well", using a steak cooking scale.

Texas coming into the SEC will feel a lot like a bitchy ex-spouse being invited back to the house after you thought you were rid of them. As far as the athletics part of it, that's a secondary part of the issue. They haven't played in football since 2011, but have in other sports.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

So it looks like this is official now word is coming down that Texas and Oklahoma did not accept what the big 12 had to say and are leaving and as long as there are no unforeseen circumstances will be in the SEC.🙄 

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-to-officially-leave-big-12-join-sec-report

I figured once something hit the open, it was pretty close to a done deal. I also don’t believe at least SEC member president’s weren’t fully aware and on board.

31 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't understand LSU and Arkansas voting yes

LSU and Arkansas presidents…

image.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

So that tells you how much money is at stake if they are willing to drop the bag like that.

I think there’s a good chance the big 12 implodes entirely before Texas and Oklahoma would have to pay a dime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I think there’s a good chance the big 12 implodes entirely before Texas and Oklahoma would have to pay a dime.

Good point. Either way, I thought the media rights money was if they left before the contract was up.  I think they will settle and leave early but just discussing the verbiage. 

32 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Hopefully not. 

I could see a situation where Texas would threaten to leave/go independent if SEC didn't give them special treatment and the SEC caving because they don't want to lose the money and don't want the negative situation that teams leaving your conference has. 

Texas already has the most profitable athletic department in the country. They could easily go independent and get their own tv deal and do well like ND. 

Their individual TV network is the first thing that comes to mind re: special treatment.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

LSU and Arkansas presidents…

image.gif

Exactly. People need to stop acting like the leaders care that much about the fans because the fans will ultimately watch a competitive and entertaining product, regardless of their own personal hate. When Texas has to face Texas A&M, imagine how much eyes will be on the TV set. Heck, when Texas has to face their first true SEC foe, imagine how many people are going to tune in.

• Like 2