Bars We've Been In

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Too many to name really, but leaving the normal places out: The Last Chance as you leave mainland Florida for the Florida keys. Alabama Jack's on Card Sound road north of Key Largo. The Stampede in West Miami. The Pink Pony at Gulf Shores. Wander Inn at Port St. Joe. Wonder Bar at Mexico Beach. The Cantina at Apalachicola. Let's don't leave out the War Eagle Supper Club.

PS: I forgot Uncle Mike's in Beebeetown, Iowa. Good ol' corn fed girl behind the bar. Kept charging me for singles while serving doubles because she liked to listen to my "drawl". One of my better episodes of daytime drinkin'.

PPS: Forgot The Dead Goat in Salt Lake City. That was some scene. BB King had played there, but that was before I passed through.

Stopped at Alabama Jacks  a few times had good Conch Fritters. Like I said in my first post the Keys were part my sales territory because it was off mainland Fl I would drive from Miami Beach to Key West every 2 months to call on pharmacies. Of course Key West had some good bars back in the 70's back then the keys was not near as commercial as today

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Wander Inn at Port St. Joe. Wonder Bar at Mexico Beach. The Cantina at Apalachicola

Past several years a place called Lookout Lounge seemed to be the go to in Mexico Beach. On the corner of 98 and 386. Nothing but a small pile of debris after the Michael. Not that it would have mattered but the place did not meet any kind of building code.

In a relatively short period of time after the storm Mexico Beach Wine and Spirits opened off 15th street for take out. Like a true beach town you could buy beer or a bottle of rum in Mexico Beach. If you needed milk or a toothbrush had to drive to Port St Joe or Panama City.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Too many to name really, but leaving the normal places out: The Last Chance as you leave mainland Florida for the Florida keys. Alabama Jack's on Card Sound road north of Key Largo. The Stampede in West Miami. The Pink Pony at Gulf Shores. Wander Inn at Port St. Joe. Wonder Bar at Mexico Beach. The Cantina at Apalachicola. Let's don't leave out the War Eagle Supper Club.

PS: I forgot Uncle Mike's in Beebeetown, Iowa. Good ol' corn fed girl behind the bar. Kept charging me for singles while serving doubles because she liked to listen to my "drawl". One of my better episodes of daytime drinkin'.

PPS: Forgot The Dead Goat in Salt Lake City. That was some scene. BB King had played there, but that was before I passed through.

Is the Pony still there? The Barefoot Oyster Bar used to be next door...I won an oyster eating contest down their in the 80's; had 48 in rapid succession with the requisite beer required to chase them down.   When you win an oyster eating contest you lose...haven't eaten one since. 

I always thought the Tiki Bar at MM86 in the keys was a great spot...and yes, Key West used to have great seedy places.

Edited by japantiger
New, old, thought
  • Like 4

I have a buddy that lives in Baltimore. The first time I went up there to visit him, we spent all day bar hopping downtown with his fiancé. My favorite was Ropewalk. Super cool bar and really good food.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 11:51 AM, SaturdayGT said:

Speaking of Boston....Cask 'n FlagonCask _n Flagon Fenway - Exterior (2)

Cask n Flagons next to Fenway Park was one of my most favorite sports bars. ....I only went there for lunch and a beer, but the bar was awesome, the location next to the stadium was awesome. I could only imagine the experience of being there for some big sporting event!.......Oh, and while in Boston....The Bar I had been wanting to go to since I was like 8 years old (Is that bad?..:P) .....

Cheers Beacon Hill Or Bull & Finch Pub, Boston, Massachusetts, USA  Editorial Photography - Image of public, restaurant: 165080907

http://www.101destinations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/cheers.jpg

Loved it!!

Just started watching Cheers all the way through again. That show just makes me feel good. I will visit one of these days. 

• Like 1

My heavy bar days were spent in Nashville at the Villager Tavern. Tiny place with beer only, darts, and photos covering every inch of the wall. On your birthday they will give you a dog bowl filled with beer. There are all kinds of "hip" bars in Nashville now which are fun enough, but thank God a place like the Villager is still around. 

Also loved Broadway Brewhouse in Midtown, Springwater when I felt brave, and the occasional trip to Tootsie's, before it was overrun by bachelorette parties and bro country. 

• Like 2

Sous La Terre in the Gump. Open from midnight until. Music started at 2:00 am. The band took requests but only from ladies, and she had to sit at Henry Pugh's- RIP- piano while he serenaded her. The rest of the band just depended on who showed up  The drinks were *incredibly* strong. Walked out in daylight more than once. Very much a black bar where they treated our punk asses like family. Special, special place.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, Tigermike said:

After I got out of the Coast Guard I worked off shore on drill platforms in the Gulf of Mexico for sixteen years.  Mostly out of Louisiana but for a while out of Dauphin Island AL.  So many sleazy bars in South Louisiana and none that I remember the name of.

Almost any bar in Algiers on the west bank of New Orleans would be considered dives and or neighborhood bars.  So many forgettable bars from Venice, LA up to Chalmette & Algiers, Grand Isle, Morgan City & Houma.   Somewhere in south Mississippi there was a place called The Pines.  A gravel parking lot, cold beer, loose women and always someone looking for a fight.

The Reef in Perdido Key, Pensacola, a local bar and all kinds of people.

One place I always had a good time was the Flora-Bama!

Nice......I worked a summer in 1986 for John E Graham & Sons....relatives to Auburn's very own Edward Graham(1984 TD return vs FSU...........worked on 110ft crew boat........we would leave the docks out of Grand Isle, LA. chances are I may swung the rope to get you off the platform and safely to shore😂........fished the Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo 2010.......was suprised to see how much Dauphin Island has changed since Hurricane Frederick destroyed the old bridge in 79.

• Like 2

Rusty Spur Saloon in Scottsdale. Set up an unofficial Auburn Headquarters/rendezvous point for a few days prior to the NC game. Great place with good music and was full of great Auburn folks. Also the only place we found to get a beer for less than 5 bucks. Management let us keep a running daily running tab to stay hydrated. 

DC8748AE-3AE7-44C9-BAFE-C97C9656A0C0.jpeg

4D621A45-3574-42E9-9CE4-1B86661791A6.jpeg

• Like 2

Big Nose Kate's in Tombstone AZ in '18 after a Grand Canyon vacation. No story to tell other than just soaking up the town with it's dirt main street and just thinking how cool it was to be there in the same location that all that Western history went down. Met a biker there, super nice guy, especially that he talked to me after knowing I'd never owned a motorcycle in my life. Bought a holster for my 100 year old revolver. 

download.jpeg

IMAG0029~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 7/24/2021 at 8:59 PM, cbo said:

Just started watching Cheers all the way through again. That show just makes me feel good. I will visit one of these days. 

I would so recommend it!...theres a couple of new "cheers" bars in Boston that try to replicate the TV show version of cheers...I cant say they are not worth going to, but they are so generic...kinda like a gift shop version of the original bull and finch. ...I made it to the original around two, had a couple of beers....it was incredibly  crowded  , but still fun.. I did the freedom trail, ended up at the new generic one, ate a horrible cheese steak, got some souvenirs,  and actually walked back to the original and closed it down!...once the crowd left, and you had free reign to walk around the original bar, it really brought the feel of the bar you saw on cheers....bars not the same, but the backgrounds really hit home!......oh, and 2 recommendations...1 is the freedom trail...obviously, but for #2, ...behind cheers a little ways  is Acorn street...its the most photographed street in America...I did it in both day and night...its incredible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Cheers, ...I was in 5th grade when Cheers came around, my sister dated and lived with a guy there at Auburn who looked just like Sam the bartender...I loved the show, loved the time I spent there as a kid with my sister...I Kinda picked up the Auburn feel at the same time I picked up the Cherrs vibe....I dont get out to Auburn alot, but when I do...the Cheers theme song like automatically runs through my mind constantly lol

Edited by SaturdayGT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I would so recommend it!...theres a couple of new "cheers" bars in Boston that try to replicate the TV show version of cheers...I cant say they are not worth going to, but they are so generic...kinda like a gift shop version of the original bull and finch. ...I made it to the original around two, had a couple of beers....it was incredibly  crowded  , but still fun.. I did the freedom trail, ended up at the new generic one, ate a horrible cheese steak, got some souvenirs,  and actually walked back to the original and closed it down!...once the crowd left, and you had free reign to walk around the original bar, it really brought the feel of the bar you saw on cheers....bars not the same, but the backgrounds really hit home!......oh, and 2 recommendations...1 is the freedom trail...obviously, but for #2, ...behind cheers a little ways  is Acorn street...its the most photographed street in America...I did it in both day and night...its incredible!

We were in Boston a few weeks ago. Forgot just how incredible that city is for walking. I'm very lucky to have married into a family with many ties to the area. The people, the history, the architecture, the local seafood, the beer, the bars...

• Like 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

We were in Boston a few weeks ago. Forgot just how incredible that city is for walking. I'm very lucky to have married into a family with many ties to the area. The people, the history, the architecture, the local seafood, the beer, the bars...

Dude....Its my favorite big city by far!!....I wasn't expecting it either....and I'm so lucky to have had somebody make me promise them I'd do a Fenway park tour....that was incredible. ...had the best tour guide...I think all I have to do is say..."Imagine an 80 year old, life long Boston red Sox fan"....and you probably nailed it...pot bellied old fart that will crack on anyone notice wearing a redox hat, and will joke as much as he will tell history and have be equally entertaining! Haha...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Dude....Its my favorite big city by far!!....I wasn't expecting it either....and I'm so lucky to have had somebody make me promise them I'd do a Fenway park tour....that was incredible. ...had the best tour guide...I think all I have to do is say..."Imagine an 80 year old, life long Boston red Sox fan"....and you probably nailed it...pot bellied old fart that will crack on anyone notice wearing a redox hat, and will joke as much as he will tell history and have be equally entertaining! Haha...

Yep. I can 100% picture that guy. Wasn't our Fenway tour guide but we had a great time, too. Speaking of Fenway and bars, Bleacher Bar is cool. Under the Fenway outfield stands- hence the name- with a big window in the outfield wall. And the urinals in the mens face the bar and have windows above them. Kinda interesting.

On this last trip we took the water taxi back to Logan. $10 more for two- after tipping the captain- than Uber or Lyft. Highly recommend if you're staying near the hahbah.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. I can 100% picture that guy. Wasn't our Fenway tour guide but we had a great time, too. Speaking of Fenway and bars, Bleacher Bar is cool. Under the Fenway outfield stands- hence the name- with a big window in the outfield wall. And the urinals in the mens face the bar and have windows above them. Kinda interesting.

On this last trip we took the water taxi back to Logan. $10 more for two- after tipping the captain- than Uber or Lyft. Highly recommend if you're staying near the 

I had 1 day there...I did 11:30 to 2am haha...I didn't do the bleacher bar....I did the Cask and flagon...I actually did several bars there.....they all just had a fun comfortable vibe!...I was by myself, but felt like I was among friends!...now I got a few "Eff yous" from random vehicles driving hy lol..but all the people I was walking with didn't pay much attention so I just rolled with it....Im so anxious to go back and catch some sports there! It's just that sorta town@

• Like 1

Two more places that don't exist anymore...the Eagle Globe and Anchor; Camp Pendleton.  Had dirt floors and high bar tables only with no chairs.  nothing to hit anyone with or throw.  $0.25 draft beer.  Spent what little time off we had there.  At Benning, the Front Leaning Rest Pizza Pub.  It was attached to the Airborne barracks.  Visited my oldest son when he completed Airborne to find out it's no longer there (no surprise given the time).  A little higher up the comfort food chain than the EGA; but still very cheap beer and pizza. 

• Like 3

Buffalo Rose in Golden, Colorado

First trip Bison Burger & draft beer

Second trip Bison Short Ribs & draft beer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Buckhorn Exchange Restaurant - Denver, CO

A historic bar and restaurant in Denver.  I've been there three or four times and still haven't tried the Rocky Mountain Oysters.  🙄

Elk steaks and draft beer

Buffalo Prime Rib and draft beer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The Million Dollar Cowboy bar in Jackson Hole Wyoming. There are saddles for bar stools. They had a nice zydeco band playing when I went. Weird.

Damn would never have guess that for Jackson Hole

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn would never have guess that for Jackson Hole

The saddles for bar stools sounds right but the zydeco band not so much. 

As for Jackson Hole, it is no more.  Years ago they changed the name and dropped Hole from the name..  It's now Jackson, Wyoming.   The new citizens thought it undignified to have it named Jackson Hole.  The rich and famous have bought up most of the property in the area and for the most part the people who grew up there can't afford to live there.     It's a beautiful area.   

In the early 70's we camped along the river just outside of town and no one bothered us.    A patrol officer stopped by the camp and checked us out, saw that we were safe with the fire and talked for a little bit.  We offered a hamburger and beer but since he was on duty he only drank a coke and ate a burger with us.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

The saddles for bar stools sounds right but the zydeco band not so much. 

As for Jackson Hole, it is no more.  Years ago they changed the name and dropped Hole from the name..  It's now Jackson, Wyoming.   The new citizens thought it undignified to have it named Jackson Hole.  The rich and famous have bought up most of the property in the area and for the most part the people who grew up there can't afford to live there.     It's a beautiful area.   

In the early 70's we camped along the river just outside of town and no one bothered us.    A patrol officer stopped by the camp and checked us out, saw that we were safe with the fire and talked for a little bit.  We offered a hamburger and beer but since he was on duty he only drank a coke and ate a burger with us.  

Yeah, lemme back up and say they played some zydeco music. Chances are, they weren’t a zydeco band. 

I love that area. Waaaaaaaaay outta my price range/league for sure, but absolutely beautiful. Chatting with one of the locals, he said that only a certain percentage of the land in the county can be “developed” due to all the public land, so real estate is at a super premium.

Snake River? We rafted it when we were there. Cold water….

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The Million Dollar Cowboy bar in Jackson Hole Wyoming. There are saddles for bar stools. They had a nice zydeco band playing when I went. Weird.

Makes me think of the Northern Lights Saloon in Polebridge, MT. Not sure what it's like up there now but in the late 90s it had no electricity and the fridges ran off a generator. Polebridge was an artist colony with 25 year-round residents at the time. Given the Jackson (Hole) discussion, I'd be surprised if there aren't luxury properties springing up around there now. Looooong dirt road through the woods to get there. Was having a great time until a bee stung my upper lip. Swole up to the size of a golf ball. Looked weird as hell for a few days. 

Kip's was our main hang, though. Right outside the St. Mary's gate to Glacier. Very interesting crowd. That part of the park is on Blackfeet land, so plenty of them around. (The Blackfeet were a notoriously violent tribe back in the day and reservation life hasn't been any easier on them than any other tribe.) It was also next to a trailer park. And then there were all the college kids and ultra weirdo resort service industry lifers, who worked national parks in the summer and ski resorts in the winter, from all over the country. Lots of folks finding themselves. Lots of other folks trying not to be found. Karaoke night was awesome. Mainly because of Danny. He was a Blackfoot with a huge mustache who lived in the adjacent trailer park. He had a really loud, deep, nasally voice and liked to randomly yell, "JULIO!!!" (Mind you, Julio Jones had not yet been born.) Once, while we stood outside holding up the wall, an attractive girl walked by and he said, "I sure would like to make her fart!" Danny smoked bad weed out of whichever beer can he'd just emptied. Don't ask me how I know or how I know which trailer was his. I think he ran for mayor of that little town. I don't think he won. But here's the thing. Back to karaoke. Danny sang like a damned angel. I'm not kidding. Just this effortless, smooth baritone. Like, if you could picture the cowboy that you want singing the songs around the campfire after a long day's ride, it was him, 100%. Legend. 

A guy got knifed in Kip's that summer. Didn't die, though. 

Haven't thought about Kip's or Danny in years. Thread achievement unlocked!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Makes me think of the Northern Lights Saloon in Polebridge, MT. Not sure what it's like up there now but in the late 90s it had no electricity and the fridges ran off a generator. Polebridge was an artist colony with 25 year-round residents at the time. Given the Jackson (Hole) discussion, I'd be surprised if there aren't luxury properties springing up around there now. Looooong dirt road through the woods to get there. Was having a great time until a bee stung my upper lip. Swole up to the size of a golf ball. Looked weird as hell for a few days. 

Kip's was our main hang, though. Right outside the St. Mary's gate to Glacier. Very interesting crowd. That part of the park is on Blackfeet land, so plenty of them around. (The Blackfeet were a notoriously violent tribe back in the day and reservation life hasn't been any easier on them than any other tribe.) It was also next to a trailer park. And then there were all the college kids and ultra weirdo resort service industry lifers, who worked national parks in the summer and ski resorts in the winter, from all over the country. Lots of folks finding themselves. Lots of other folks trying not to be found. Karaoke night was awesome. Mainly because of Danny. He was a Blackfoot with a huge mustache who lived in the adjacent trailer park. He had a really loud, deep, nasally voice and liked to randomly yell, "JULIO!!!" (Mind you, Julio Jones had not yet been born.) Once, while we stood outside holding up the wall, an attractive girl walked by and he said, "I sure would like to make her fart!" Danny smoked bad weed out of whichever beer can he'd just emptied. Don't ask me how I know or how I know which trailer was his. I think he ran for mayor of that little town. I don't think he won. But here's the thing. Back to karaoke. Danny sang like a damned angel. I'm not kidding. Just this effortless, smooth baritone. Like, if you could picture the cowboy that you want singing the songs around the campfire after a long day's ride, it was him, 100%. Legend. 

A guy got knifed in Kip's that summer. Didn't die, though. 

Haven't thought about Kip's or Danny in years. Thread achievement unlocked!

There are at least a half dozen additional stories buried in this….

34EB617E-6390-43E5-8E0F-B2DCD8241098.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1