2022 3* Safety Ja'Kobi Albert Commits to Auburn!!

Paladin

Finalists are Auburn, Michigan and Maryland. 

Edited by Paladin

So 247 has him as a DB and Rivals has him as a WR.  Which are we recruiting him for?  Corn & Mason are recruiting him, so no clear indication there

In-state safety target finalizes commitment plans

by Keith Niebuhr

46 minutes ago

Ja'Kobi Albert, one of Auburn's top defensive recruiting targets in the 2022 class, has locked in a commitment date and time.

The 3-star safety/athlete from Fairfield Preparatory School (Ala.) will reveal his college choice Aug. 4 at 10 a.m. CT, he Tweeted Thursday. That's his birthday.

Albert's finalists are Auburn, Maryland and Michigan. It is believed by many this will come down to the Tigers and Wolverines. Right now, the 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Auburn.

Albert, listed at 5-feet-11 and 175 pounds, is the No. 14 recruit in the state of Alabama for the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

Auburn Undercover began to protect Albert to Auburn last week. Here's what we wrote July 12.

Auburn offered Albert on Feb. 8 and and has been pretty locked on him since. With the staff, we're told a few things really stand out about Albert.

1. His upside. He's got an 82-inch wingspan -- and just recently turned 16. The feeling is, he isn't done growing.

2. His ball skills. As a standout in high school on both sides of the ball, this skillset should help him excel in college.

3. His football IQ and character. And he's a great student.

When you add it up, Auburn feels like he's a perfect fit for the program -- and thus is a priority in Auburn's back yard.

When might Albert announce? Early August is the word and with his birthday being Aug. 4 that's a date to keep an eye on.

Albert officially visited Auburn in June. He was joined in Auburn by his parents and older brother and said they, too, thought highly of the program.

The highlight?

“Just being able to sit one-on-one with (defensive coordinator Derek Mason),” Albert said. “That was pretty big to me. Him and Coach (Bryan) Harsin. Coach Mason — he and the others said that I need to keep working. They told me to not get complacent, just to stay level-headed and to make sure I had a good mentality. Coach Harsin said he enjoyed having me and said he looked forward to the future.”

With Auburn, one thing really stands out.

“I would say just the football environment,” Albert said. “It’s just top of the line.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

So 247 has him as a DB and Rivals has him as a WR.  Which are we recruiting him for?  Corn & Mason are recruiting him, so no clear indication there

Safety.

Isn't Malcolm Johnson, Jr. also nicknamed Jet?

• 2 weeks later...

Committing today @ 10 Auburn time

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Paladin changed the title to 2022 3* Safety Ja'Kobi Albert Commits to Auburn!!!

9926CF4F-62E4-4879-AC6C-F8FB540D824C.png

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Pow! This wasn't a lock. The staff did a great job here.

• Like 2

He's also like .006 away from a 4* if I'm correct. We're up to 54th in the country.

• Like 4

In-state defensive back Ja'Kobi Albert commits to Auburn

Jeffrey Lee

Auburn’s recruiting momentum continues.

Ja’Kobi Albert, a defensive back from Fairfield, Ala., on Wednesday announced his commitment to Auburn.

Albert chose Auburn over his other two finalists, Michigan and Maryland.

“I just feel like Auburn is where I need to be,” Albert said. “It has that home-feeling for me. That was a big part, as well as the coaches and football environment … the fans really stand out to me.”

So does Derek Mason. Auburn’s defensive coordinator/safeties coach played an integral part in Albert’s decision.

“Coach Mason is one-of-a-kind,” Albert said. “I really like Coach Mason. He keeps it real, and I feel like that will help me grow as a young man into an adult.”

Making The Decision

Albert’s familiarity with Auburn also was a factor. He took an official visit in June and returned in July for an unofficial visit to Big Cat, Auburn’s annual recruiting event.

Albert knew before the second visit that Auburn would be his choice.

“My parents and I talked about (committing) after my official visit (in June),” Albert said. “But we still had to visit Michigan. At the time, Michigan was just going to be a school I went to check out, but they really surprised me. I really enjoyed myself and learned a lot.

“After the Michigan visit, I knew it would be either Auburn or Michigan. And for me, it was just about the home feeling Auburn gave me that said, ‘this is the one’.”

Albert informed Auburn of his decision in early July, but elected to wait until his 17th birthday (Wednesday) to announce it.

AU Commit List Continues To Grow

Albert, who is six-feet tall and 175 pounds, is the ninth commitment in Auburn’s 2022 class and seventh in the past month.

Kicker Alex McPherson got the momentum rolling for Auburn when he committed on July 6. The Tigers since have received commitments from tight end Micah Riley-Ducker (July 7), safety Caleb Wooden (July 8), wide receiver Jay Fair (July 20), running back Damari Alston (July 25) and defensive lineman Caden Story (Aug. 1).

Linebacker Powell Gordon and quarterback Holden Geriner both committed to Auburn in February.

Another great pickup. One thing I have liked about this class so far is how many of the 3*'s look like they might become 4*'s like this young man. This shows me this staff has an eye for talent.  War Eagle and welcome to the Family.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Another great pickup. One thing I have liked about this class so far is how many of the 3*'s look like they might become 4*'s like this young man. This shows me this staff has an eye for talent.  War Eagle and welcome to the Family.

Agreed. Jay Fair, Micah Riley-Ducker, and Jet (Ja'Kobi) all look like they could realistically climb into that range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Wow! 17 just now? That's wild. I read because of his wingspan the staff doesn't think he's done growing.

• Like 3

Welcome to AU Jakobi!! The highlights are mostly of him on offense but his speed jumps off the screen at you. He should be able to cover a lot of ground playing safety for us!

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Welcome to AU Jakobi!! The highlights are mostly of him on offense but his speed jumps off the screen at you. He should be able to cover a lot of ground playing safety for us!

I could see him contributing on special teams early.