Harsin: Team 60% vacinated

mb711

I don’t necessarily fault the guy for not forcing his players to vaccinate. What it really boils down to is what kind of education the players are getting on the pros and cons of covid vaccinations. If they are getting accurate info from reliable and intelligent sources, the choice should be easy for them. Get the shot, protect yourself, and move on with your life. 

But we all know that there are also partisan and political opinions running rampant in the state of Alabama. 

Who is providing the info to the team, and what are their credentials to provide the info? That’s the question.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

I actually think he’s being a leader. By allowing his players to make the decision for themselves hes allowing them to be adults. None of us know whether Harsin has the vax or not. He very well couldve told his player- I chose to get vaccinated i want you to make whatever decision you feel is best for your health and others. 

That's literally the opposite of leadership. 

You *lead* a horse to water. You don't tell the horse to find it himself.

You call the play. You don't ask the players what they feel like doing.

"Yeah, but you can lead by example." Cool. Set up a vax clinic on campus and make sure there's a big crowd watching you get yours.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't care if he won't definitive say it's good or bad. My point is the data and professionals with knowledge are hopefully being utilized versus personal opinion. If you want to advocate or be resistant that is fine, but have some data to point to the decisions.

No point vaccinating those who’ve had COVID-19: Cleveland Clinic study suggests

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

100's of years of data on natural immunity and 9 months on a vaccine but somehow this data is better.  Both provide antibodies but neither makes you bulletproof.  Still gonna get it potentially but won't be as bad afterwards.   

• Like 4

It’s a slippery slope because the narrative pushed against not having the vaccine is that u can still catch COVID without it being put into context. Then there are other outside influences friends, family and social media. I don’t envy any coach that’s in this situation. U trying to convince someone to inject something into their body that may have long term affects. Very very difficult position to be in

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Yeah, but you can lead by example." Cool. Set up a vac clinic on campus and make sure there's a big crowd watching you get yours.

Thats compulsory leadership and youre talking about an animal not people. 

perhaps harsin wants his players to think for themselves., to be independent, to be critical thinkers. Perhaps he believes that if he gives them enough information they will be able to make that decision for themselves. Then maybe they can lead their families to get the vaccine because they fully understand why they got it. Thats leadership. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, e808 said:

very difficult position to be in

And yet the coach up the road isn't suffering one iota for his pro-vax stance. Not one bit. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Yeah, but you can lead by example." Cool. Set up a vac clinic on campus and make sure there's a big crowd watching you get yours.

Yep. I'd tell the team I understand it's a personal choice and no one will be forced to get the vaccine. Explain why I've decided it's in the best interest for me personally and for the team. Let the doc's speak to support my point with scientific data. 

Vaccine's are available to the left. I'll go first. 

Anyone who is not comfortable getting the vaccine, come speak to me about your concerns. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Auhud08 said:

Thats compulsory leadership and youre talking about an animal not people. 

perhaps harsin wants his players to think for themselves., to be independent, to be critical thinkers. Perhaps he believes that if he gives them enough information they will be able to make that decision for themselves. Then maybe they can lead their families to get the vaccine because they fully understand why they got it. Thats leadership. 

That's literally doing nothing. That's a copout and an abstention of responsibility. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

And yet the coach up the road isn't suffering one iota for his pro-vax stance. Not one bit. 

If you think Nick Saban is on the same playing field with Bryan Harsin with any decision he makes, you've missed the train.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

U got me on that one. I guess chalk it up to experience. He really gets his players to buy in.

• Like 2

Just now, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If you think Nick Saban is on the same playing field with Bryan Harsin with any decision he makes, you've missed the train.

You'd think that other coaches wanting to be on that train with saban would, ya know, hop on.

• Like 1

I'd like to see our vaccination rate plus prior infection. I bet we are a lot closer to 80% by those standards.

Also it's none of mine or anyone else's dang business if one of our athletes takes the shot or not.

If we lose a game because some of our players don't want to be vaccinated for something that carries a 99.96% survival rate for young healthy individuals, so be it.

That's a much better reason to lose than constantly running the dive on 1st down, never making adjustments, only running 3 routes, and never signing/developing OL. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 2

Just now, stoic-one said:

<fingers tapping>....

This is clearly a discussion that pertains to football and the upcoming season. Of course there is a political component that cannot be separated. But so far it is on topic and civil. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'd like to see our vaccination rate plus prior infection. I bet we are a lot closer to 80% by those standards.

Also it's none of mine or anyone else's dang business if one of our athletes takes the shot or not.

If we lose a game because some of our players don't want to be vaccinated for something that carries a 99.96% survival rate for young healthy individuals, so be it.

That's a much better reason to lose than constantly running the dive on 1st down, never making adjustments, only running 3 routes, and never signing/developing OL. 

Even a vaccine debate gets turned to bash CGM. Really?

• Like 1

You'd think that other coaches wanting to be on that train with saban would, ya know, hop on.

He's the only coach to my knowledge who has taken that stance so publicly. Helps to be the GOAT

• Like 1

Just now, toddc said:

Even a vaccine debate gets turned to bash CGM. Really?

Someone mentioned not having the team vaccinated and losing a game over it is a fireable offense. I listed some actual fireable offenses. 

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

This is clearly a discussion that pertains to football and the upcoming season. Of course there is a political component that cannot be separated. But so far it is on topic and civil. 

Those attempted redirects are common when the conversation becomes inconvenient.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's literally doing nothing. That's a copout and an abstention of responsibility. 

No, thats leadership. It might not be style of leadership you like or the message you want to hear but thats leadership. The result isnt vax/non-vax its kids who think for themselves

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He's the only coach to my knowledge who has taken that stance so publicly. Helps to be the GOAT

Here's what Kirby Smart had to say. His team is above 85% vaccinated. It's almost like the most successful teams with strong leadership are not having a problem with this. 

“We’re proud of that, but we’re not stopping there,” he said. “We want our players to get vaccinated because it’s the right thing to do. It’s safe. … What it’s really about is being able to save our season, being able to keep our players safe. We want to keep our players safe, we want to keep our coaches and staff safe, we want to keep the family members of our team safe and that comes through vaccinations.”

Smart said running backs coach Dell McGee was among the coaches who stood up in front of the team and shared why he got vaccinated.

“It moved me to hear him speak to our team,” Smart said. “‘Guys, I’m from the same community you are. I got my vaccine for three reasons: Primary reason I want to spend time around my family, he wants to spend time around his dad, his father, his family and be safe to do that. That’s the primary reason he got it. Second reason is he wanted to be a pillar in the community, he wanted to be a representative in the community, he wanted to show the people in his community where he’s from that it’s safe and be a role model to do it. The third, probably most important, is he had had COVID before, and he didn’t want to go through it again. For our players to hear that coming from Dell McGee, that was very impactful.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/competitive-advantage-kirby-smart-reports-georgia-has-a-high-team-vaccination-rate/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I'm just hanging out in this thread as a  reminder to the link I've posted twice, y'all carry on. :popcorn: