Harsin: Team 60% vacinated

mb711

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I agree with you here as far as working toward herd immunity. But, as you probably know, herd immunity will probably be a combo effect. Vaccinated plus the virus running through the population.

The most likely scenario would be all the at risk people get the vaccine, which I support, a good chunk of young people get it, and another good chunk of young people get the virus and recover. 

I think our football team in all likelyhood falls into that third category but we won't ever get that info. The virus ran through our team last summer. 

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

It’s not only about death but nobody knows the long term effects of Covid. Even with the vaccine. Vaccine ≠ cure

no one thinks it is a cure.  There is NO cure for covid.   

The  long and short term effects of covid have been documented and are being studied constantly.   

5 times more vaccinations have been given than actual covid cases in the US.   Yet, Covid cases have had un-proportionately  more issues and more serious issues,  and it is not even close.    

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

However, the 87,000 in the stands aren't going to cause AU to forfeit a game. Ten or twelve un-vaccinated players very well might.

If those were 10-12 60+ year old people standing by their convictions of not getting the vaccine, then I feel bad they are making the wrong choice.

10-12 young football players, who even if they get it, may never have the symptom, and certainly are 99.9 certain they will not die.

If we lose a game by forfeit, and that was their conviction, then as long as they stand by that conviction of not wanting to be vaccinated, I'm not going to fret over my team having to lose a game. 

I would hate to lose a game that way, but I support their decisions even more.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If those were 10-12 60+ year old people standing by their convictions of not getting the vaccine, then I feel bad they are making the wrong choice.

10-12 young football players, who even if they get it, may never have the symptom, and certainly are 99.9 certain they will not die.

If we lose a game by forfeit, and that was their conviction, then as long as they stand by that conviction of not wanting to be vaccinated, I'm not going to fret over my team having to lose a game. 

Yeah but you’re not out there running a million stadiums and all the other stuff they’re doing in the intense heat. That’s a big waste of time putting all that work in just to not play 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah but you’re not out there running a million stadiums and all the other stuff they’re doing in the intense heat. That’s a big waste of time putting all that work in just to not play 

Now  agree with this too. And I was surprised knowing Harsin has talked so much about being ready, preparing yourself, and not letting anything distract you from focusing on that first game, that the team and coaches wouldn't have pushed to get all vaccinated, in order to not have that concern of infection hanging over their head.

But if players who are vaccinated still stand by the fellow player if he feels right in NOT getting vaccinated, then they have to accept those options. They may not like it, if they have to forfeit, but if they believe in team, then they will deal with the results. Same response those players gave from NC ST that felt miserable I'm sure they had to get out of the CWS.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

They'll still get paid.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Understand your point but just put the NC State spin on it for football. Will the players, coaches and fans will be upset if they made it all the way to the Championship game and had to forfeit? I'm thinking yes. I know if I worked hard enough to get there and did all that I could possibly do physically and medically and I knew a group that didn't, I have to be honest. I don't think I'm standing with them and their decision at that point. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

If you bet on me we can split the pot.

There would be a lot of posters above you who fit DAG's post better.😀

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Nobody is going to convince the other side so can’t we just call it a wrap? 😝 

Can we just do this for all of the Internet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Understand your point but just put the NC State spin on it for football. Will the players, coaches and fans will be upset if they made it all the way to the Championship game and had to forfeit? I'm thinking yes. I know if I worked hard enough to get there and did all that I could possibly do physically and medically and I knew a group that didn't, I have to be honest. I don't think I'm standing with them and their decision at that point. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.  My understanding was that the NC State team had been vaccinated and still came up with Covid and forced to retire even though none of the players were symptomatic.   That would really chap my buns.   Assuming this is correct, what difference does the vaccination make in players, particularly when the tests can be questionable.  Is there any real clinical significance to a positive test in an asymptomatic person?   With all the politics in play, I' believe if you do not have enough of a viral load to be symptomatic, you're are unlikely to pass the virus on like any other URI virus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Except that’s a totally irrational response. Just get vaccinated against known threats for which there’s a largely effective vaccine. Yours is a straw man argument. Covid has proven to be a far greater threat than a cold or the typical seasonal flu.

No, it exposes the hypocrisy of those who argue that the unvaccinated have a responsibility not to passively pass covid on to the immunocompromised - the point you responded to.

Why would we JUST implement the idea for covid? Do the immunocompromised that die of the flu not matter to you? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'm about to play math with your comment.

1. Unvaccinated = DA's

2. Unvaccinated = Underprivileged

3 Underprivileged = DA's? 

I feel like you probably don't mean that, but come on now. You can't go calling people DA's because they don't agree with you on a topic. 

It also shows that people like this are just scared on their own account. They aren't motivated out of altruism.

"I want the unvaccinated to get vaccinated for their own good... even though I hate them."

Nah. These folks want them to get vaccinated for their own sake.. because the culture of fear mongering has taken hold and they are scared of the infinitesimally small chance of dying even though they've already got the vaccine. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I'm not even being sarcastic when I say I totally agree. I got the vaccine in April. I think it's the right call. I also think it isn't right for me, a very fallible person who is no more or less important than anyone else, to force that on other people. What right do I have to force someone to believe what I believe about the vaccine?

That's my whole argument. I want everyone to be free to make their own decisions in life, within reason.

Some guy Named Coach Harsin agrees with you. 

Amidst low vaccination rates, Bryan Harsin emphasizing it’s a ‘personal decision’ - al.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

No, it exposes the hypocrisy of those who argue that the unvaccinated have a responsibility not to passively pass covid on to the immunocompromised - the point you responded to.

Why would we JUST implement the idea for covid? Do the immunocompromised that die of the flu not matter to you? 

This is just you rationalizing the fact that you don’t think you have to give a damn about anyone other than yourself.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, jAUSon said:

They'll still get paid.

Yeah the few who actually have a decent following online that can get commercial offers etc 

46 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

This is just you rationalizing the fact that you don’t think you have to give a damn about anyone other than yourself.

No, it's cutting through virtue signaling BS. I got the vaccine. I just want people that make these soap box ethical arguments to actually realize what they look like in action.

• Like 3

I'm a relatively healthy male, 58 years old, eat a healthy diet, and exercise.  And on top of that, I'm an Auburn grad (class of 1985).  I got COVID back in January; a relatively "mild" case, and recovered fine.  And I have also since taken the vaccine.

I can tell you this: the vaccine is much easier than the disease.  Getting the vaccine affects you for 1-2 days.  Having COVID affects you for weeks, if not months.  In  some ways, I'm still recovering.  I wish the vaccine had been available before I contracted COVID.

My advice is to get vaccinated.  But in the end, it's a personal decision that the government should not be allowed to make for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No, it's cutting through virtue signaling BS. I got the vaccine. I just want people that make these soap box ethical arguments to actually realize what they look like in action.

Nick Saban has added to his talent advantage by leading his guys to be best prepared for a known problem with a readily available, although imperfect, solution. That ain’t virtue signaling, brother, that’s smart leadership.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Nick Saban has added to his talent advantage by leading his guys to be best prepared for a known problem with a readily available, although imperfect, solution. That ain’t virtue signaling, brother, that’s smart leadership.

So you think Nicky is a smart leader and Harsin isn't?

Amidst low vaccination rates, Bryan Harsin emphasizing it’s a ‘personal decision’ - al.com

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.  My understanding was that the NC State team had been vaccinated and still came up with Covid and forced to retire even though none of the players were symptomatic.   That would really chap my buns.   Assuming this is correct, what difference does the vaccination make in players, particularly when the tests can be questionable.  Is there any real clinical significance to a positive test in an asymptomatic person?   With all the politics in play, I' believe if you do not have enough of a viral load to be symptomatic, you're are unlikely to pass the virus on like any other URI virus.

You remember better than I do regarding whether they were all vaccinated or not so I concede it's not the best example. I thought there were a mixture of both on the team. 

Just a couple of notes FWIW.

1. I have been vaccinated but understand why some people don't want to get the shots.

2. The number of cases is rising in Auburn/Opelika following the trend elsewhere. I have three neighbors that I know of who have tested positive this week. ALL had been vaccinated back in February. So be careful.

24 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Nick has clearly positioned his team better for the fall thus far. Hopefully Harsin catches up.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Nick has clearly positioned his team better for the fall thus far. Hopefully Harsin catches up.

So it's all about winning ball games? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Now  agree with this too. And I was surprised knowing Harsin has talked so much about being ready, preparing yourself, and not letting anything distract you from focusing on that first game, that the team and coaches wouldn't have pushed to get all vaccinated, in order to not have that concern of infection hanging over their head.

But if players who are vaccinated still stand by the fellow player if he feels right in NOT getting vaccinated, then they have to accept those options. They may not like it, if they have to forfeit, but if they believe in team, then they will deal with the results. Same response those players gave from NC ST that felt miserable I'm sure they had to get out of the CWS.

I don’t believe concern of infection is removed by vaccination. Probably less likely and outcome probably less severe but a positive test will have the same result among the vaccinated and unvaccinated, not able to play.

• Like 1