Harsin: Team 60% vacinated

mb711

On 7/22/2021 at 2:51 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t necessarily fault the guy for not forcing his players to vaccinate. What it really boils down to is what kind of education the players are getting on the pros and cons of covid vaccinations. If they are getting accurate info from reliable and intelligent sources, the choice should be easy for them. Get the shot, protect yourself, and move on with your life. 

But we all know that there are also partisan and political opinions running rampant in the state of Alabama. 

Who is providing the info to the team, and what are their credentials to provide the info? That’s the question.

This is not about "forcing".

Apparently Harsin is not promoting vaccination to the team or anyone else.  That's my problem with this.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, au302 said:

Really scary to me how we have such a large portion of society that believes it's their right to know other peoples personal medical statuses and also believe they have the right to demand people make certain medical decisions. Not even trying to be political. My stance has always been why should someone whose vaccinated care if others are? You're vaccinated so you're protected. Despite what many are saying, I think Harsin handled this well. He acknowledged the gravity of the situation, complemented the medical staff, and is allowing our players to make their personal and private choice. Downvote away but he showed great leadership here. He knows he's a football coach and not a doctor, so props to him for allowing the medical staff to educate the players on this matter

Your mistake is considering this purely as a personal issue instead of a societal one.

Significant numbers of unvaccinated people serve as a reservoir of available victims for a given virus.  In the case of  covid, that essentially means we, as a society, will be be subjected to repeated outbreaks instead of eliminating the virus in our country.  These continual outbreaks allow the virus to continue to mutate, possibly into more virulent forms that the current vaccines won't prevent.

Once the national vaccination rate reached some critical percentage of the population, the virus can no longer sustain itself and will disappear, or become rare, just like so many other infectious diseases.

Individuals have a responsibility to the rest of our society to get a vaccination if possible.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, AU80cruiser said:

You're not wrong about its uses but my point was about the information being suppressed last year. People, including myself are concerned about the vaccine, which isnt FDA aaproved yet and I undedstand why. There is info out there and we dont know what to trust. Doctors have been silenced as well.

Well, we do know that more than 600,000 Americans died from the virus (so far).  And there will be many more to come.

And the vaccines have an FDA emergency use authorization (EUA) because - wait for it - we are in a state of emergency!  The fact it doesn't have full, formal approval is perfectly understandable if you have ever had any experience with the FDA (and I have).  They are a very, very slow bureaucracy.  But the clinical trials were done and that's good enough for me.

At 70 years of age, I thank God - and the FDA - for allowing this EUA so that I could be vaccinated in Feb.

And no one has been silenced.  That's QAnon thinking.

Edited by homersapien

On 7/22/2021 at 4:06 PM, toddc said:

My wife was really sick for 2-3 days after each shot. When people hear stories like this it’s  scary. That being said, I think people should be vaccinated.

And everyone I  have talked post vaccination had maybe a sore arm and nothing more.  :-\

I didn't even have that.

Edited by homersapien

On 7/22/2021 at 4:35 PM, Hank2020 said:

I think it is asking too much for someone to make a purely medical decision (agree it can have impacts to the team) for the “good” of the team.

Actually, it's for the "good" of All of us. 

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And everyone I have talked to had maybe a sore arm and nothing more.  :-\

Well that’s great. I’ve had several different results in my sphere of people.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

How is this political? Since when is every personal choice have to be politically motivated? Oh wait....probably since the majority have lost the ability to think freely for themselves. Who are any of us to assume his motives? I respect that he is not forcing this on them and letting them make their own decisions regardless how I personally feel about the vaccine.

I would expect a leader to give me the information and let me choose however I may choose. If I have questions or ask for his personal opinion then he can give it to me, otherwise...give the boys the information and resources and let them make their own decisions. 

THIS^^^^^^^^^

It may not be political, but it's certainly ignorant. 

Anyone who truly understands the general science of virology/ epidemiology as well as the ongoing data collection would react as Saban did.

It's just the right thing to do.

Edited by homersapien

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Actually, it's for the "good" of All of us. 

Not if it turns out to be the next asbestos in 40 years, and a bunch of kids that got it without needing to die from it. 

There is clearly a model available for people scared of covid - get the vaccine. Those who aren't scared, are consenting to any results they may suffer. There is no argument at this point for "the good of society". If you believe in the vaccine, like I do, then you believe all who want to be protected are.

And save the immunocompromised argument. That ground has already been covered. 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It may not be political, but it's certainly ignorant. 

It's just the right thing to do.

Ronald Reagan: "The problem with our liberal friends isn't that they're ignorant. It's that they know so many things that aren't so."

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, we do know that more than 600,000 Americans died from the virus (so far).

Died with the virus...  There is a difference.   

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The more unvaccinated there are,  the more this thing is going to mutate. 

Delta is pretty bad,  but Delta+ is worse.  Gemma was weak,  Jury is still out on Lambda,   It is the new kid on the block.

Hospitals are filling up again.

Gov and insurance companies are talking about trying to stop paying for covid costs for those that are not vaccinated without a legitimate excuse.   It is an avoidable cost.  Get the free vaccine people.  

Imagine what your bill would be after spending a few weeks in the ICU (before dying).

Considering vaccines are free and available, I think insurance companies have a good point.

A medical debt of hundreds of thousands of dollars. What a great gift for your survivors. :no:

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Damn right. Exhibit A = Fact. There is good reason for people not to trust the media or the govt. Anyone who blindly follows either is being foolish. 

Well, it's hard to argue that anyone who "blindly" follows the media or government is foolish, but there's plenty of reputable information out there for those who are intelligent and educated enough to seek it out and understand it.

Start with the medical history of pandemics and vaccines and work your way up to modern epidemiology.  Do you have a library card?

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:32 PM, au302 said:

Look, you're probably right that it's only pros, but how can anyone really make that statement as of right now when there has literally not been enough passage of time to determine if there are long term effects from the vaccine? Regardless, I think it's really pathetic that people are alleging that Harsin is letting his politics influence him on this issue. Seems to me that he's trying to let the team doctors, who are paid and qualified to handle this topic, to do their jobs.

It appears like he is pandering to anti-vaxers, which is what makes it look political.

Saban hired some medical experts to speak to his team.  Harsin sounds like he is avoiding the science, for whatever reasons, none of which are good.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, McLoofus said:

You should be deeply ashamed, unless you don't know what the Tuskegee experiments were.

Back when "America was Great"?  ;)

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, AuburnEagle79 said:

I know at a minimum 3 young people that had reactions greater than fever/aches from the vaccine. One triggered an autoimmune disorder after getting it.

I'd say developing Type 1 diabetes in adulthood after getting the shot is a serious reaction.

And you are sure that the vaccinated caused diabetes how, exactly?

No doubt there have been heart attacks in people recently vaccinated also.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:59 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, I agree with part of that. He should follow science. That is all and well. He should provide them information. That is all and well. He should give the players who ask him if they think they should take it or not his advice and that is all and well. I fully disagree with the team in jeopardy bit. I think people's human rights are far bigger than football, period. 

How do you feel about people's responsibilities?

On 7/22/2021 at 9:08 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Was referring to his post about there not being anything but pros to getting the vaccine. That is opinion. 

And it's absolutely correct from a societal perspective.  Ask any epidemiologist.

And like it or not, we are members of a society.

• Facepalm 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Thank you.. Everybody wants to act like it's just a possible headache that you may get. From the conversations I have had, the unknown is the biggest factor. People. just don't know what kind of problems this could cause down the road.

On the other hand, we're pretty damn sure what will happen with low vaccination rates, like Alabama and other southern states like mine.

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It appears like he is pandering to anti-vaxers, which is what makes it look political.

Saban hired some medical experts to speak to his team.  Harsin sounds like he is avoiding the science, for whatever reasons, none of which are good.

We have medical experts as well that are well-qualified and are educating our team to the pros and cons. Are you saying Harsin is not allowing our medical experts to speak to the team? Sad that Harsin taking a neutral stance of allowing our players to make their choice is translated to "pandering to anti-vaxers." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Thanks, in the first place the so called " Vaccine" doesn't prevent catching the virus.

Secondly, if we're being scientifically correct, the so called vaccine is not a vaccine at all, and doesn't qualify under the definition of a vaccine. End of story, and my last statement on the matter.

Thank goodness. 

On 7/22/2021 at 9:59 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

I haven't dismissed anything. 

What is odd is the number of people in this thread who can't seem to comprehend that someone can be an advocate for people's God given rights and also not be anti-vaccine. The two are not mutually exclusive.

But you apparently don't understand what a pandemic really implies from a "herd" perspective.  And that's a global issue as well as a national.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

But you apparently don't understand what a pandemic really implies from a "herd" perspective.  And that's a global issue as well as a national.

why do you feel the constant need to tell people whats good for them and what they should do?    Did you get the vaccine?   Yes   then you're covered  and you have done as much as you can do.   Let others take their life in their own hands if they want. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 12:36 AM, AU80cruiser said:

Yet the ones that are "Pro Choice" acting like it shouldn't be a choice. Weird isn't it? 

Who said it should be mandatory? 

This is about educating people and promoting the right thing to do.

It would be nice if the "pro-lifers" restricted themselves to that approach instead of passing legislation that forces women to give birth against their will.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:21 AM, Hank2020 said:

This may be true, but would seem silly to me if the object is to identify those with potential to spread the virus ( my understanding is vaccinations do not prevent infection/spreading of virus).

Seriously? 

What do you think they are talking about when they describe a vaccine that is 90-something percent effective?

1 minute ago, auskip07 said:

why do you feel the constant need to tell people whats good for them and what they should do?    Did you get the vaccine?   Yes   then you're covered  and you have done as much as you can do.   Let others take their life in their own hands if they want. 

It is not that simple.    They are taking the lives of others by becoming a spreader and a  vector for mutations.    There are already at least 2 mutations that are just as serious but more contagious.     This virus is mutating extremely fast right now because there are so many cases (and still so many unvaccinated) ....   symptoms or not.   

Some of the hardest stance governors against doing anything are changing their tune.   Hutchinson in arkansas has done nothing but tell everyone to do the right thing,  and is now starting to panic since Covid is way out of hand here.   Sounds like Ivy is getting rattled by her earlier decisions also.   I'm not 100% sure but I think DeSantis in FL  has started asking people to get vaccinated after naysaying the virus for over a year.

I am not the government,  I am not mandating anyone get the vaccine.    I am asking politely to anyone that has reservations about the vaccine to please sincerely reconsider your view.   Remain open minded  and review all the latest information on the subject.   

I hope you do the right thing.  

• Like 1