Harsin: Team 60% vacinated

mb711

Look the guy has not even coached a game yet and fans/media are on him. Give him time, if he succeeds and has a good, competitive product, amen, if not then jump on him. But till that first game the guy has to set the tone of the team. If his tone is telling young men to listen to medical staff of the pro’s and con’s of the virus and make a big boy decision, then that is direction he takes it. Sounds like he is telling them your men make a decision and move on, we got a game to get ready for. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But no ongoing effects, correct? Rough couple days after is not unusual and typically just a sign of the vaccine working properly.

Not visible but who knows 

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

Im not comparing the drugs. Im comparing how hydroxychloroquine wasnt tolerated last year to the point you couldnt even speak about it. Doctors trying to talk about it were suppressed. 

Im saying some are concerned about what else is being suppressed, like the effects of  the vaccine. 

I don't remember that you couldn't talk about it, but maybe. The problem was that hydroxychloroquine was thrown out as a treatment for COVID with zero evidence to support the claim.

The risk, as explained to me by my wife's rheumatologist, became that people who actually need plaquenil as the only proven medication to treat their disease, would not be able to get it since there would be a run on the drug due to baseless claims. 

40 minutes ago, keesler said:

This should make a coach's jobs easier, one less thing to worry about. 

An 85% vaccination level removes the need to test everyone multiple times a week, leaves more time for folks to focus and concentrate their time and energies on football. 

Right, it would make things easier for everyone. Instead here we are:

Signs are troubling enough around the country that SEC officials are already preparing to rescind changes to policies they had just passed months ago. The league had originally created a protocol allowing teams that met an 85% vaccination rate to eschew all regular COVID-19 testing and masking.

Soon, that will change under a proposal that has not yet been approved, league officials tell Sports Illustrated. All of those athletes who are not vaccinated would remain in the conference’s surveillance testing program, even if their programs are at the threshold. More changes may be coming. The mask mandate, originally lifted for those teams at 85% vaccination, could be re-imposed, especially on road trips.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/21/sec-football-season-covid-vaccine-delta-variant

Bama already 80+ percent vaccinated. They handling business on and off the field while we’re one of the least vaccinated teams in the SEC smh

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Some very well documented activities and traits of college football players:

Obesity, unprotected sex, drinking, smoking pot, ramming your head into a moving 300 pound target, squatting 500 pounds, benching 400 pounds, running sprints in 90 degree weather, taking excessive amounts of protein, being shot up with all kinds of pain killers in the medical tents, etc, etc, etc. All of the above implies all kind of risks, short and long term. Example: diabetes, STDs, concussion, CTE, heart failure, renal failure, herniated disc, etc. Seems to me a scientifically studied vaccine might not be their worst lifestyle choice. But let freedom ring 

Being in the military for several years and getting all these types of shots and did all types of crazy stuff .I had a similar rationale. Figured I survived all of those what’s one more to the list gonna hurt

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

My wife wont take it because she doesnt trust the government citing the Tuskegee experiment. Many of my co-workers feel the same even with monetary incentives to take the vax, they wont do it.

Does your wife think those men were injected with something they shouldnt have been in the Tuskegee experiment?

• WarTiger changed the title to Harsin: Team 60% vacinated
9 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Does your wife think those men were injected with something they shouldnt have been in the Tuskegee experiment?

They were definitely given what they were supposed to be  given. It wasn’t an accident 

Is this another media guy that has a beef with Auburn? 

Harsin doesn't come out as says he's vaccinated, and Auburn is around 60% and these media guys just harp on like he's committing a murder. Geez.

2 hours ago, au302 said:

Really scary to me how we have such a large portion of society that believes it's their right to know other peoples personal medical statuses and also believe they have the right to demand people make certain medical decisions. Not even trying to be political. My stance has always been why should someone whose vaccinated care if others are? You're vaccinated so you're protected. Despite what many are saying, I think Harsin handled this well. He acknowledged the gravity of the situation, complemented the medical staff, and is allowing our players to make their personal and private choice. Downvote away but he showed great leadership here. He knows he's a football coach and not a doctor, so props to him for allowing the medical staff to educate the players on this matter

I’m vaccinated and I care that others aren’t.  Why?  Because as COVID continues a wide path through which to spread, it continues to mutate.

Eventually, there will be a mutation that my vaccine can’t/won’t protect against.  Then, we are all back to the beginning; people dying, shutdowns, etc.

I know it’s a personal decision.  I just wish people would consider the wider world.  Folks didn’t fight vaccines for polio, smallpox, mumps, etc.  Why fight COVID vaccines?  I truly do not understand the reluctance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Some very well documented activities and traits of college football players:

Obesity, unprotected sex, drinking, smoking pot, ramming your head into a moving 300 pound target, squatting 500 pounds, benching 400 pounds, running sprints in 90 degree weather, taking excessive amounts of protein, being shot up with all kinds of pain killers in the medical tents, etc, etc, etc. All of the above implies all kind of risks, short and long term. Example: diabetes, STDs, concussion, CTE, heart failure, renal failure, herniated disc, etc. Seems to me a scientifically studied vaccine might not be their worst lifestyle choice. But let freedom ring 

That’s a slow Tuesday for me 

• Haha 1

I’m glad this thread got started. Pretty sure that all issues about COVID vaccination and treatment will be settled here in the next couple of pages. If it will go long enough we should settle any questions about Allen Greene’s tenure as AD too. If we’re really lucky, the mods won’t lock until the question about the best restaurant/fast food hamburger is settled once and for all. Fingers crossed🤞🏼….

Edited by fredst
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, aub4life said:

I’m vaccinated and I care that others aren’t.  Why?  Because as COVID continues a wide path through which to spread, it continues to mutate.

Eventually, there will be a mutation that my vaccine can’t/won’t protect against.  Then, we are all back to the beginning; people dying, shutdowns, etc.

I know it’s a personal decision.  I just wish people would consider the wider world.  Folks didn’t fight vaccines for polio, smallpox, mumps, etc.  Why fight COVID vaccines?  I truly do not understand the reluctance.

Why fight vaccines now? Folks are getting dumber by the minute. Idiocracy’s happening sooner than we thought!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mb711 said:

1st time I completely disagree with Harsin. It is not an "individual decision" given the full-blown "team environment" in which the players spend almost every hour of their existence. Current Covid statistics show virtually all hospitalizations and deaths - a full 97% - are among unvaccinated people. Be as politically correct or incorrect as one may like, but this Virus and it's Variants do not play favorites. It does not care if you are Red or Blue, White, Black or other.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

How is this political? Since when is every personal choice have to be politically motivated? Oh wait....probably since the majority have lost the ability to think freely for themselves. Who are any of us to assume his motives? I respect that he is not forcing this on them and letting them make their own decisions regardless how I personally feel about the vaccine.

I would expect a leader to give me the information and let me choose however I may choose. If I have questions or ask for his personal opinion then he can give it to me, otherwise...give the boys the information and resources and let them make their own decisions. 

THIS^^^^^^^^^

It's politics because there aren't pros and cons. There are only Pros. Look at how Nick Saban is handling this and promoting the safety and efficacy of the vaccine. And then look at how our coach refers to it. Nobody is saying that the vaccine must be mandated to football player. But the way he speaks of it sounds like somebody who is putting his politics ahead of the well-being of his players

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

How are you going to know those that miss are unvaccinated? Already some Olympic players pulling out due to testing positive that were vaccinated. Don’t think that piece of information will be available to general public.

What we will know is how our came compared to other teams who have much higher rates of vaccination like Alabama. If Auburn has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the league and some of the highest covid positives in the league then harsin will absolutely be honorable for that

10 minutes ago, shabby said:

It's politics because there aren't pros and cons. There are only Pros. Look at how Nick Saban is handling this and promoting the safety and efficacy of the vaccine. And then look at how our coach refers to it. Nobody is saying that the vaccine must be mandated to football player. But the way he speaks of it sounds like somebody who is putting his politics ahead of the well-being of his players

Did you read the article I linked and excerpted? 

4 hours ago, mb711 said:

This is not how you lead. 

Gonna be awesome to watch us forfeit games or missing key starters of debunked fear mongering about the vaccine. 

The Qanon faction of Auburn fans are cheering today

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/nick-saban-pretty-close-to-90-percent-of-players-have-been-vaccinated

Excerpt:

"I think there's two issues when it comes to vaccines," Saban said. "First of all, we have a majority of our players who have gotten the vaccine, and we've given every player on our team the choice to do that. I think there's a couple things to consider. First of all, you have a personal decision, which comes down to risk — risk of COVID, relative risk to the vaccine. It's the same thing. We don't really have a lot of knowledge about how this stuff is going to affect people in the future, so that's a personal decision that everybody has the right to make.

"On the other hand, you also have a competitive decision to make because you're going to be a part of a team. So how does the personal choice and decision you make affect the team?...

"But players have to understand that you are putting your teammates in a circumstance and situation. We can control what you do in our building. We cannot control what you do on campus and when you go around town, who you're around, who you're associated with, and what you bring into our building.

"So every player has a personal decision to make to evaluate the risk of COVID relative to vaccine, and then they have a competitive decision to make on how it impacts their ability to play in games, because with the vaccine you probably have a better chance. Without it, you have a lesser chance that something could happen, a bigger chance that something could happen that may keep you from being on the field, which doesn't enhance your personal development.

"Then how does it affect the team if you bring it to the team? So these are choices and decisions that every player has to make. Our approach has been I think we've had three medical doctors sort of give lectures to our team about the pros and cons of the whole COVID circumstance, the vaccine circumstance, so that they can make intelligent decisions about what they do."

This topic is a dook pile. Harsin's stance is nearly identicle to Saban's.  He just isn't grandstanding and being a guilt-warrior about it. The team will be at whatever the required percentage is on the required date. We need a vaccine that stops people from getting triggered. Just like every other issue. Saban is a public vaccine warrior, probably getting extra checks from .gov or some such to be such a driver on the topic. Just because some A-hole on twitter pigeon-holes Harsin's comments should have sh*t to do with Auburn or this board. The percentage not an insurmountable issue (for the football team)  We didn't miss any games last year without a vaccine. I'd stake my membership that we won't miss one this year. Yall ruining a good chance to let the twitter trolls not bother you.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1