Other schools talking to SEC

AUght2win

Too crazy for words. We don't have a thread on this, do we? I looked and didn't see one.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/ohio-state-florida-state-clemson-michigan-sec-

please always post at least a portion of the article and not just the link.

Reports are surfacing that it might not be just Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC, with several other power house programs being linked to the conference.

The College Football world is riddled with conference realignment talk at this point in time. With the College Football Playoff expansion taking place, combined with TV rights skyrocketing, programs all across the college football landscape are seemingly jumping ship and trying to hop into different conferences with larger dollar values. 

It's started with Texas and Oklahoma departing from the Big 12, a conference they've been a part of since the conference was created in 1996. They are expected to begin their transition into the Southeastern Conference in the coming weeks. And they might not be the only ones. 

Reports are surfacing that some of the nation's biggest football programs are trying to join the SEC as well. 

Programs like Ohio State, Florida State, Michigan, and Clemson have been in contact with the SEC, according to reports.

Superconference. That's the term being thrown around with a total of 20 teams. This not only would change college football forever, but it would render the other conferences rather useless against the powers of the SEC. 

With the college football playoff expansion going to twelve teams, it seems like a no-brainer for most of these potential members. However, there is a clause in the new playoff system that will have to be altered a bit if this were to take place. 

Under the new system, a maximum of four teams are allowed from one conference, and if this superconference were to actually take place, all three of the four from last year's four-team playoff — Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama — would have come from this superconference. One could only imagine how many teams of the 20 would be worthy of qualifying for this 12 team playoff system. 

The landscape as we know it is about to be destroyed.

I don't know how things will look when the dust settles. But I know that Big 12 is done, and we'll virtually be down to a Power 4. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The landscape as we know it is about to be destroyed.

I don't know how things will look when the dust settles. But I know that Big 12 is done, and we'll virtually be down to a Power 4. 

Power 3!

• Like 1

If TX, OK, and then Clemson and OSU join the SEC, then 0 other conferences are even worth mentioning in football….ever.  .   

Edited by AUpreacherman22

23 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

If TX, OK, and then Clemson and OSU join the SEC, then 0 other conferences are even worth mentioning in football….ever.  .   

It would be like the MLB. Major league, AAA, AA, A 

• Like 2

It will be hilarious to me if Ohio St. and Michigan join. The small part of their fan base that I am familiar with have such superior opinions relative to their universities vs. SEC universities. Curious to see their take on their own choice to come aboard at the first opportunity.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It would be like the MLB. Major league, AAA, AA, A 

Absolutely!!!

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Michigan and FSU...do we need another  Ole Miss and Miss ST?

😂😂😂

UM are yankee bammers.  (That may be the first time that phrase has ever been used😂).   At least UM has more $$$, which is the highest motivation in all of this.   I heard FSU has/had significant financial problems, so idk.   They at least have more history/tradition in football (and sports in general) than the MS schools.  

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Other schools talking to SEC

/s   I see where this is going.   Eventually we will have just  one giant SEC conference.   We can call it the SEC-NCAA We can divide it up into divisions based loosely on geographics,  ... Like:  The SEC Big 10,  The SEC SWC, The SEC Big 12, The SEC ACC, The SEC PAC12,     SEC west, SEC east, etc.   We can even have a couple of independent teams involved.     /s

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

Personally, I wouldn't like expansion past 16 teams. I can deal with having 4 or 5 super-conferences, but if we add all these teams to the SEC, we might as well have playoffs for the SEC Championship, and then the rest of the country does its own thing.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

/s   I see where this is going.   Eventually we will have just  one giant SEC conference.   We can call it the SEC-NCAA We can divide it up into divisions based loosely on geographics,  ... Like:  The SEC Big 10,  The SEC SWC, The SEC Big 12, The SEC ACC, The SEC PAC12,     SEC west, SEC east, etc.   We can even have a couple of independent teams involved.     /s

But let’s leave Notre Dame out. 😏

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

But let’s leave Notre Dame out. 😏

And FSU since they tucked tail and ran away from the SEC under Bowden.

FSU and Notre Dame can play with themselves for all I care.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Personally, I wouldn't like expansion past 16 teams. I can deal with having 4 or 5 super-conferences, but if we add all these teams to the SEC, we might as well have playoffs for the SEC Championship, and then the rest of the country does its own thing.

That’s exactly the end goal for the SEC, I would imagine 

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s exactly the end goal for the SEC, I would imagine 

I sure hope not. And I'm not going to put any credence in the talk of adding teams beyond UT/OU just yet. 16 teams makes sense to me. 20 doesn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I sure hope not. And I'm not going to put any credence in the talk of adding teams beyond UT/OU just yet. 16 teams makes sense to me. 20 doesn't.

If additional teams include Ohio State, MI, Clemson and FSU, it makes perfect sense financially.

35 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If the Big 10 has a countermove, it’s not taking on Kansas, OK St and Iowa St— it’s merging with the PAC 12

It can get Kansas and do that…I imagine this season will be our last without super conferences being publicly discussed 

bringing KU into the current P12 will be huge for basketball and other non-football things, which the B10 and P12 seem to be great at 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

If the Big 10 has a countermove, it’s not taking on Kansas, OK St and Iowa St— it’s merging with the PAC 12

Or cherry picking Oregon, USC, UCLA, and maybe UW. 

21 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Or cherry picking Oregon, USC, UCLA, and maybe UW. 

Stanford and Berkeley are good academic gets and adds the Bay Area. Arizona has a growing tv audience. It wouldn’t surprise me that Oregon and Washington legislators may want to assure their other schools aren’t left out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

MI for basketball. FSU for circus training .

Michigan for the colorful clothing and FSU for the shoes.