Other schools talking to SEC

AUght2win

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Sentimental reasons 

Seminal reasons. 😝 

Definition 1 if you look it up. 😉 

Edited by toddc

When you see it laid out, looks exciting.  This is just one man's opinion. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

As much as I hate expansion, that isn’t that bad. Big problem though. I doubt the extremely progressive and tolerant California schools will want to be involved with a Mormon school. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, woodford said:

As much as I hate expansion, that isn’t that bad. Big problem though. I doubt the extremely progressive and tolerant California schools will want to be involved with a Mormon school. 

BYU has tons of money!  They’ll be fine with allowing them in their conference.  They’ll spin it in some way to further their agenda.  

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

So the Big 10 becomes the Big 16 (nice adaption to logo) and the Big 12 becomes the Big 16 (again the logo). Sounds confusing, unless they are just called the 16. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

So the Big 10 becomes the Big 16 (nice adaption to logo) and the Big 12 becomes the Big 16 (again the logo). Sounds confusing, unless they are just called the 16. 

They need to just stick with AAC since they have more members. 

• Like 1

So the old big 12, now the "16", will be the new pac 12 and never reach the playoffs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 1:34 AM, AUght2win said:

Too crazy for words. We don't have a thread on this, do we? I looked and didn't see one.

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/ohio-state-florida-state-clemson-michigan-sec-

please always post at least a portion of the article and not just the link.

Reports are surfacing that it might not be just Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC, with several other power house programs being linked to the conference.

The College Football world is riddled with conference realignment talk at this point in time. With the College Football Playoff expansion taking place, combined with TV rights skyrocketing, programs all across the college football landscape are seemingly jumping ship and trying to hop into different conferences with larger dollar values. 

It's started with Texas and Oklahoma departing from the Big 12, a conference they've been a part of since the conference was created in 1996. They are expected to begin their transition into the Southeastern Conference in the coming weeks. And they might not be the only ones. 

Reports are surfacing that some of the nation's biggest football programs are trying to join the SEC as well. 

Programs like Ohio State, Florida State, Michigan, and Clemson have been in contact with the SEC, according to reports.

Superconference. That's the term being thrown around with a total of 20 teams. This not only would change college football forever, but it would render the other conferences rather useless against the powers of the SEC. 

With the college football playoff expansion going to twelve teams, it seems like a no-brainer for most of these potential members. However, there is a clause in the new playoff system that will have to be altered a bit if this were to take place. 

Under the new system, a maximum of four teams are allowed from one conference, and if this superconference were to actually take place, all three of the four from last year's four-team playoff — Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama — would have come from this superconference. One could only imagine how many teams of the 20 would be worthy of qualifying for this 12 team playoff system. 

I don't believe this for a minute.  The Big 10 and ACC are still viable conferences, the Big 12 has always struggled.  The Big 12 offered UT and OU more money than the other schools to stay.  That is not a conference. The schools listed in this article are big dogs in their conferences and have no reason to join the SEC.  Also, a conference with those teams would be impossible to manage.  It is already going to be interesting to watch TX and spuat fight for influence, imagine adding OSU and UM to that mix.  I think this is speculation designed to get clicks.  

• Thanks 1

If Notre Dame doesn't join one of these super conferences they should be barred from a playoff spot until they do. I feel for mid-majors that can't get in. ND's continued independence and special treatment is just dumb at this point. 

• Like 3

I think 16 is probably the max a conference can handle without completely blowing up how games are scheduled and played.  If you do the 2 traditional and rotating game it’ll take 10 years or more to cycle out opponents.  Personally I think the current rotation sucks and 2020 was a good test model as how the SEC should schedule moving forward.

5 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

BYU has tons of money!  They’ll be fine with allowing them in their conference.  They’ll spin it in some way to further their agenda.  

The problem with BYU is that they don't play or practice on Sunday, so any conference would have to make all their sport's schedules accommodate BYU. Thus far that's been a non-starter for conferences and is a main reason BYU is independent.

As for the rest of the prediction in that tweet, I don't think a Big12 would be able to survive as a major conference  with just Oklahoma State being it's most prestigious program. Big 12 will either cease to exist or would be just another lower group conference like the American Athletic 

28 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I think 16 is probably the max a conference can handle without completely blowing up how games are scheduled and played.  If you do the 2 traditional and rotating game it’ll take 10 years or more to cycle out opponents.  Personally I think the current rotation sucks and 2020 was a good test model as how the SEC should schedule moving forward.

That's why the 4 team pods and a 9 game conference schedule is the best idea. All teams play every team in the SEC every 2 years. The loss of a second yearly rivalry, in our case UGa, won't mean as much when you play them every 2 years anyway. Using the pod scenario, 16 teams is ideal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 9:36 AM, TexasTiger said:

But let’s leave Notre Dame out. 😏

why? it would piss the turds off. grins

23 hours ago, Tony4AU said:

I get Ohio St paired with Michigan and Clemson but why Florida St?

besides being broke and needing more money i bet they want more chances to play jimbo.........just my opinion.

Pods-yes! 9-game schedule-NO

Imagine if/when UAT has 4 games at home and 5 games on the road, and Auburn has 5 games at home and 4 on the road. Then, Auburn wins the division. Saban will be in Sankey's office 7 am Monday morning demanding change. I'd rather skip the whining. Stay with 8 conference games or go to 10. No unbalanced schedules, you're just begging for trouble.

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

Imagine if/when UAT has 4 games at home and 5 games on the road, and Auburn has 5 games at home and 4 on the road. Then, Auburn wins the division. Saban will be in Sankey's office 7 am Monday morning demanding change. I'd rather skip the whining. Stay with 8 conference games or go to 10. No unbalanced schedules, you're just begging for trouble.

Somehow 9 games works for the Pac 12 and Big 10.

And FYI, Saban has been the one pushing for a 9 game schedule for years.  Rest of the conference is to chicken-s*** to do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, subterranean_jack said:

Too bad Nicky!!

4 hours ago, subterranean_jack said:

@subterranean_jackYour own pod has 3 other teams. The 9 games (3+6) give you the even number of 6 games for the other 3 pods. Those 3 other pods have 12 teams (12 div. by 6) so in 2 years you make the complete cycle.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:57 PM, AUBwins said:

Nothing screams Pacific Athletic Conference like that Texas Tech/Texas Christian matchup! 😅

• Haha 2

This whole thing reminds me of when the Alabama High School Athletic Association flipped the world upside down back in '85 when they went to 6 classes with 16 areas (4 teams each).

The 9 game schedule is almost mandatory now. I'm not thrilled, but don't see a way around it.

Reasons to stick with 2 divisions:

1) Bama is GUARANTEED to play thuga and Florida EVERY stinking year the same as Auburn did for decades. Something that has stuck in my craw forever.

2) More yearly traditional rivalries, in both divisions.

2) Championship game participants are cut and dried.

Reasons for the pod alignment:

1) Greater schedule flexibility. At a minimum, EVERY non pod opponent will be played twice every 4 years.

2) Better selection of Championship game opponents (2 best records).

3) My pipe dream, Bammer and Auburn play the same non pod opponents each year. Probably not possible.

• Like 2