Men's 2021-22 Opponents

toddc

Auburn basketball learns 2021-22 SEC opponents

ByNATHAN KING 80 minutes ago

With the SEC's announcement Wednesday, Auburn basketball's schedule is nearly complete.

The conference unveiled each team's SEC opponents for the 2021-22 season; there are still no dates for the games, though Auburn did learn who it will be facing at home and on the road.

AUBURN HOME SEC GAMES

• Alabama

• Florida

• Georgia

• Kentucky 

• LSU

• Ole Miss

• South Carolina

• Texas A&M

• Vanderbilt

AUBURN AWAY SEC GAMES

• Alabama

• Arkansas

• Florida

• Georgia

• Ole Miss

• Mississippi State

• Missouri

• South Carolina

• Tennessee

Auburn also knows eight of its nonconference games, plus an early season tournament at the 2021 Battle 4 Atlantis tournament during Thanksgiving break, with a strong field that includes Arizona State, Baylor, UConn, Loyola Chicago, Michigan State, Syracuse and VCU. Every team in the field — including Auburn and with the exception of Arizona State — has made the Final Four in the last decade.

The Tigers are hosting Morehead State (Nov. 9), Louisiana-Monroe (Nov. 14), North Alabama (Dec. 14), Oklahoma (Jan. 29 in the Big 12/SEC Challenge) and UCF (TBD), and are making road trips to Saint Louis (Dec. 18) and USF (TBD). Additionally, Auburn will play in the Holiday Hoopsgiving event in Atlanta for the second straight year, facing off against Nebraska on Dec. 11.

After finishing 11th in the SEC last season with an overall record of 13-14, Auburn has appeared in most preseason top 25s over the past few months after landing a few high-profile transfers ,and overall rebuilding its roster to look like one of the most talented in the conference. Along with freshman Jabari Smith, the No. 4 player in the 2021 class and the highest-rated signee in program history, the Tigers are bringing in former five-star center Walker Kessler from North Carolina, former top-100 prospect K.D. Johnson from Georgia, 2020-21 first team All-Ohio Valley conference point guard Wendell Green Jr. from Eastern Kentucky and 2020-21 CAA conference all-defense selection Zep Jasper, a combo guard, from the College of Charleston.

Auburn also returns its second-leading scorer from last season, Allen Flanigan, along with starting big man Jaylin Williams, sixth man Devan Cambridge, centers Dylan Cardwell and Babatunde Akingbola, and big-bodied wing Chris Moore.

• Like 2

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Men's 2021-22 Opponents

Pearl: Auburn to play loaded non-conference hoops schedule

ByMARK MURPHY 94 minutes ago

Two players who could surprise in Auburn's preseason practices

AUBURN, Alabama–Bruce Pearl said his Auburn basketball team will be challenged often prior to the start of Southeastern Conference play as on Wednesday the coach announced his team’s full pre-conference 2021-22 schedule.

“This is the most ambitious non-conference schedule in the history of Auburn men’s basketball and in my career,” Pearl declared. “There are nine high-major conference schools on the schedule outside of league play.

“This is an opportunity for our fans to travel,” Pearl said. “We’ll be playing in Tampa at Amalie Arena where the SEC Tournament is going to be and Saint Louis, which is a great Midwestern city. We’re looking forward to playing in Atlanta again where we have so many fans and alumni. These are great places and opportunities for our fans to travel.

“Playing two true road games and four neutral-site games are ways to improve your standing with the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee,” the coach added.

The Tigers will open the season at home on Nov. 9th vs. Morehead State and then play Nov. 12 at home vs. ULM. The first road game is a week later at South Florida before going to The Bahamas to open the Nov. 24-26  Battle 4 Atlantis vs. the UConn Huskies. Other teams in that event include Loyola-Chicago, Michigan State, Arizona State, Baylor, Syracuse and VCU. Tipoff for the UConn game is 1:30 p.m. Central Time with television coverage on ESPN.

On Dec. 1st the Tigers will take on UCF at Auburn Arena with Yale visiting three days later. On the 11th the Tigers will play the Nebraska Cornhuskers at Atlanta as part of the Holiday Hoopsgiving event, which features four games. The Tigers will play at home on Dec. 14th vs. North Alabama. The pre-Christmas schedule includes a trip to play St. Louis University on Dec. 18th and a home game vs. Murray State on the 22nd.

The final non-conference regular season game is Jan. 29th at the Tigers play host to Oklahoma in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge.

The Tigers are scheduled to play seven non-conference games at Auburn Arena,  two road non-league games and four non-conference contests with three at the Battle 4 Atlantis plus a Holiday Hoopsgiving contest at State Farm Arena in Atlanta

Last season the Tigers posted a 6-3 against non-conference opponents with losses to Gonzaga, UCF and the Baylor Bears, who defeated Gonzaga in the national championship game. Auburn fell to Gonzaga in a neutral site contest and lost road games to UCF and Baylor, which was Auburn’s opponent in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge.

The Tigers scored non-conference neutral site victories over St. Joe’s and Memphis along with home wins vs. South Alabama, Texas Southern, Troy and Appalachian State.

Overall, the 2020-21 Tigers finished 13-14 with a 7-11 conference record. The Tigers were 8-5 at home, 3-8 in road games and 2-1 in neutral site matchups.

Pearl’s Tigers must replace their leading scorer, guard Sharife Cooper (20.2 points per game), who was a second round NBA Draft selection. Another freshman, forward JT Thor, was also selected in the NBA’s second round. Thor was fifth in scoring for the Tigers at 9.4 points per game.

Auburn’s top returning scorer is guard/forward Allen Flanigan, who averaged 14.3 points per game and 5.5 rebounds.

10288233.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Allen Flanigan (22) takes a shot during his sophomore season with the Tigers. (Photo: Adam Sparks / Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Also returning as a player who scored in double figures is junior forward Jaylin Williams, who finished the 2020-21 season with averages of 10.9 points and 4.7 rebounds per contest.

In the Southeastern Conference schedule for the coming season the Tigers will play home and home games vs. Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida and South Carolina. The other SEC home contests will be against Kentucky, LSU, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt.

The dates for the SEC games have not been set, but the league office has announced that Auburn will play road games at Arkansas, Mississippi State, Missouri and Tennessee this season.

2021-22 Auburn Non-Conference Schedule

Nov. 9--Morehead State at Auburn

Nov. 12--ULM at Auburn

Nov. 19 --Auburn at USF

Nov. 24--Auburn vs. UConn (Battle 4 Atlantis), Paradise Island, The Bahamas

Nov. 25--Auburn vs. Loyola Chicago/Michigan State (Battle 4 Atlantis), Paradise Island, The Bahamas

Nov. 26--Auburn vs. Arizona State/Baylor/Syracuse/VCU (Battle 4 Atlantis), Paradise Island, The Bahamas

Dec. 1--UCF at Auburn

Dec. 4--Yale at Auburn

Dec. 11--Auburn vs.  Nebraska (Holiday Hoopsgiving) at Atlanta

Dec. 14--North Alabama at Auburn

Dec. 18--Auburn at Saint Louis

7COMMENTS

Dec. 22--Murray State at Auburn

Jan. 29--Oklahoma  at Auburn (Big 12/SEC Challenge)

2021 ITAT Auburn Football Guide Now Available

That's funny that we are scheduled to play OU, likely a year before they are conference rivals. 

41 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That's funny that we are scheduled to play OU, likely a year before they are conference rivals. 

Would be cool if we could get Coop and Trae on campus for that game, since they’re both just up the road. Never hurts to have a couple of NBA guys on campus for the cameras for games like this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Weren't we slated to play Appalachian State this coming season?

I do remember that vaguely reading that around the time we got some basketball commits I believe actually fam! good catch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Weren't we slated to play Appalachian State this coming season?

3 times in 4 seasons with this upcoming season being the only time we do not play them. Going to boooooooone next season!!! That is one of my all time favorite campus's. I would LOVE to make the trip to that game. ugly bball arena but everything else on that campus is gorgeous. 

https://appstatesports.com/news/2020/11/6/mens-basketball-announces-series-with-auburn.aspx

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

3 times in 4 seasons with this upcoming season being the only time we do not play them. Going to boooooooone next season!!! That is one of my all time favorite campus's. I would LOVE to make the trip to that game. ugly bball arena but everything else on that campus is gorgeous. 

https://appstatesports.com/news/2020/11/6/mens-basketball-announces-series-with-auburn.aspx

Daaaamn I was planning to make the quick road trip to Boone this winter to see the guys play but I guess I'm gonna have to wait until the next season

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Would be cool if we could get Coop and Trae on campus for that game, since they’re both just up the road. Never hurts to have a couple of NBA guys on campus for the cameras for games like this.

I believe I read somewhere in the last couple weeks, that Coop and Trae are coming to the the AU/OU game. I may be wrong, but I thought it was Pearl who mentioned it....

• Love 1

18 hours ago, toddc said:

I'm really liking the OOC schedule we have this season. Great collection of big names but also ones that should be beatable assuming we are able to get the team clicking. We'll have a couple of exhibition games and then 3 winnable games to start the season before the heat turns up for that battle of Atlantis deal. We need to get on the winners side of that tournament to help beef up the quality of opponents. Its a good schedule for the team we have but i could see it skewing to the not hard enough side of things if some of those teams don't play well and we don't face one of the  Baylor's, Syracuse, AZ ST, and Mich St in atlantis

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm really liking the OOC schedule we have this season. Great collection of big names but also ones that should be beatable assuming we are able to get the team clicking. We'll have a couple of exhibition games and then 3 winnable games to start the season before the heat turns up for that battle of Atlantis deal. We need to get on the winners side of that tournament to help beef up the quality of opponents. Its a good schedule for the team we have but i could see it skewing to the not hard enough side of things if some of those teams don't play well and we don't face one of the  Baylor's, Syracuse, AZ ST, and Mich St in atlantis

If things get clicking for us this year, there's not a team in the country we can't beat. Period.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

The great equalizer!

We better be with the schedule we have! I think we have the players to be very good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, toddc said:

We better be with the schedule we have! I think we have the players to be very good.

Just seems weird to see a Kessler in Auburn gear so use to seeing them in uga crap......it looks good on him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Just seems weird to see a Kessler in Auburn gear so use to seeing them in uga crap......it looks good on him

No kidding! And something I personally NEVER thought we'd see. Even when we thought we lead for his signature i never really believed he'd come here. 

I like his confidence. I have little doubt we'll be good next season but the question is how good can this team be?? Can it be national title contenders good or will it be top 5 in SEC good? I know i'm very excited to see the Kessler/Jabari combo at the 4 and 5. If those guys can get in sync they will be able to devastate other teams bigs. I have images of a high low game between 7 footers that can both handle the ball and shot from deep as well as post you up!!! 😍

• Like 2

Read the thread I just posted about AU after summer workouts and you’ll be even more excited about Kessler

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn’t give CBP a reason to get fired up and in turn fire up the fan base. 😝 

• Like 1

Good luck getting Cornhusker basketball fans, all 14 of them, to schlep to Atlanta.  That arena will be orange and blue and not much else.

That said...

I'm going to be "that guy"...

**you're**, Bruce, not "your."