3 Permanent Opponents and 9 game conf schedule

ValleyTiger

With the addition of the Sooners and Longhorns, Auburn and Bama moving to the East sounds good, but the divisions are broken bc we'll play the other side so infrequently. The 4 team pods always seems to have one super easy pod.

Bill Cameron of The Drive proposed a model similar to how the conference currently does basketball....no divisions - 3 permanent opponents and flip the remaining 12 opponents 6/6 every year with a 9 game conference schedule.

That allows for more matchups with the remainder of the conference more frequently and preserves traditional rivalries that make CFB great. 

It'll take some tweaking of the 3 permanent opponents, but by playing the rest of the conference more often it does make more balanced than even our current division system.

*there's a few errors in Bill's schedule but you get the idea below:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I don’t want 3. I’d rather just play GA every other year. Otherwise we will always have one of the tougher schedules in SEC. Don’t need that nowadays. 2 permanent is more balanced. 

The reality is that we're going to keep Bama and UGA every year. The SEC is going to protect these rivalry games bc #1 they always have and #2 the games attract more viewership thus more money. 

4 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

The reality is that we're going to keep Bama and UGA every year. The SEC is going to protect these rivalry games bc #1 they always have and #2 the games attract more viewership thus more money. 

Yea I know, and I love the GA series, just tired of having to always go uphill every year.  If others would have 2 tough opponents then great. Now at least in that scenario Bama would keep LSU. 

• Thanks 1

I like the 4 pods, 9 game (3 in pod+6 rotating) schedule better. If it means we play UGa every other year instead of yearly, in exchange for playing everybody on a 2 year rotation, that seems like a good trade off. Just set up the pods right from the start so there are no 'easy' ones.

• Like 2

I say we just extend the season a few weeks for every conference.   Raise scholarship limits 15% to make up for the grueling long season.  Postpone  bowl season til mid January.  NCG play offs to start late January.   MORE FOOTBALL for everyone!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Florida: Georgia, LSU, Tennessee

Georgia: Florida, Auburn, South Carolina

Kentucky: South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State

South Carolina: Georgia, Missouri, Kentucky

Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU

Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi State

Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Alabama, Florida

Vanderbilt: Kentucky, Tennessee, Ole Miss

LSU: Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss

Mississippi State: Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky

Ole Miss: Vanderbilt, Mississippi State. LSU

Texas A&M: Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma

Arkansas: Missouri, Texas A&M, Texas

Missouri: Arkansas, South Carolina, Oklahoma

Oklahoma: Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri

Texas: Texas A&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma

• Love 1

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

With the addition of the Sooners and Longhorns, Auburn and Bama moving to the East sounds good, but the divisions are broken bc we'll play the other side so infrequently. The 4 team pods always seems to have one super easy pod.

Bill Cameron of The Drive proposed a model similar to how the conference currently does basketball....no divisions - 3 permanent opponents and flip the remaining 12 opponents 6/6 every year with a 9 game conference schedule.

That allows for more matchups with the remainder of the conference more frequently and preserves traditional rivalries that make CFB great. 

It'll take some tweaking of the 3 permanent opponents, but by playing the rest of the conference more often it does make more balanced than even our current division system.

I agree about this negating one of the pods being too weak, though the pod system practically would do this anyway. I could grudgingly take this setup as long as it’s nine games--we'll still have the toughest set of rotating opponents but the gap will be narrowed by sheer virtue of the teams rotating much faster.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO on 10--so, I'm sure the SEC will take 10 to spite us.

Edited by AUwent

13 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

This is pretty good. Pretty balanced. 

15 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Why Mississippi State for us I would rather have LSU 🤷

14 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I can’t see the AU/LSU rivalry ending. We haven’t not played them since 1991, which was the year just prior to the SEC going from 10 to 12.

Edited by Viper

5 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

>Complain about having the toughest schedule in the nation every year

>Beg to keep Georgia and LSU as permanent opponents and to play big OOC opponents

JABA

Sadly the LSU rivalry is nowhere near what it was in the aughts. Even when we were both ranked in the top 15 going into the 2018 game we couldn’t pack the stadium for it. No one really cares about it anymore.

And we played Florida every year since what, the 30s? Didn’t stop the league from ending that series.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

>Complain about having the toughest schedule in the nation every year

>Beg to keep Georgia and LSU as permanent opponents and to play big OOC opponents

JABA

Sadly the LSU rivalry is nowhere near what it was in the aughts. Even when we were both ranked in the top 15 going into the 2018 game we couldn’t pack the stadium for it. No one really cares about it anymore.

And we played Florida every year since what, the 30s? Didn’t stop the league from ending that series.

I haven't complained at all. 🤷 I think it can get back to being what it once was especially with Harsin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, autiger88 said:

Bc we've played them more than any other team than Georgia, and we need some balance. They are close geographically and we recruit in Mississippi more than Louisiana.

Go ahead stack the odds - give us Bama, uga, and Florida. That way we can beat our chest about schedule difficulty again?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's not like we'd be going six years on average without playing anyone. With this 3-6/6 format (similar to how it would be with pods anyways) we'd alternate between LSU and Florida.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Bc we've played them more than any other team than Georgia, and we need some balance. They are close geographically and we recruit in Mississippi more than Louisiana.

Go ahead stack the odds - give us Bama, uga, and Florida. That way we can beat our chest about schedule difficulty again?

I get that I just like the game it's more exciting to me then Mississippi State will ever be especially after the Cam situation just don't care for them. Wish we didn't even give them the time of day plus you talking about LSU being tough for us well hell we are tough on MST it's the same boat just looking at a different direction 🤷 

Our record vs MST is 62-21 or something like that.

Vs LSU 23-31-1 it's a lot closer then our record vs MSST. Yes we are on the losing end against LSU but still it's an all around better game too me.

Edited by autiger88

7 hours ago, Viper said:

I can’t see the AU/LSU rivalry ending. We haven’t not played them since 1991, which was the year just prior to the SEC going from 10 to 12.

It is a very distant 3rd, with AL and uga being the top two.  Personally, I believe that FL is a natural rival moreso than LSU. That said, I do enjoy playing them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

I get that I just like the game it's more exciting to me then Mississippi State will ever be especially after the Cam situation just don't care for them. Wish we didn't even give them the time of day plus you talking about LSU being tough for us well hell we are tough on MST it's the same boat just looking at a different direction 🤷 

Our record vs MST is 62-21 or something like that.

Vs LSU 23-31-1 it's a lot closer then our record vs MSST. Yes we are on the losing end against LSU but still it's an all around better game too me.

Hmm…MSU *does* get the short end of the stick in the original post but Valley’s edit had them playing OM and KY. It’s such a good proposal that I’m sure the SEC won’t do it.

Edited by AUwent

30 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Hmm…MSU *does* get the short end of the stick in the original post but Valley’s edit had them playing OM and KY. It’s such a good proposal that I’m sure the SEC won’t do it.

Naw, they won't do it exactly bc LSU and Bama would b*tch like crazy that theirs is unfair.

Edited by ValleyTiger

4 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Naw, they won't do it exactly bc LSU and Bama would b*tch like crazy that theirs is unfair.

LSU maybe but I think UAT would be okay with it.

I really have no earthly idea what’s actually going to be adopted (don’t think anyone else does!).

On 7/29/2021 at 9:50 PM, ValleyTiger said:

They don’t care about tradition. The Iron Bowl won’t be touched but I wouldn’t be so sure about TDSOR. 

19 hours ago, autiger88 said:

LSU is our nemesis.  If not State, I'd pick Florida or Tennessee before LSU.

30 minutes ago, Trakem said:

LSU is our nemesis.  If not State, I'd pick Florida or Tennessee before LSU.

I’m hoping Harsin makes us everyone else’s “nemesis “. Hope no one wants to see us on their schedule.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 8:20 PM, ValleyTiger said:

The 4 team pods always seems to have one super easy pod.

@ValleyTiger I'm definitely  a no division 3-6 guy but How so? Put a major rivalry in each of the 4 pods & the pods should be fairly balanced

AU, Bama, Vols, Vandy
UF, UGA, UK, SC
Texas, OU, Mizzou, Arky
A&M, LSU, Rebs, & MSU.

I don't see a super easy pod in there.

Bill Cameron of The Drive proposed a model

He didn't propose it. That idea has been on the interwebs for at least 5 years. Was a 3-5 model before we added Texas & OU.

3 permanent opponents and flip the remaining 12 opponents 6/6 every year with a 9 game conference schedule.

SIAS but couldn't rotate the 6/6 every year because of home & road imbalances a 9 game con sched causes you have to play the same 6 2 years in a row & the other 6 in years 3 & 4. It would be playing every team in 2 of 4 years but not every other year.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:50 PM, ValleyTiger said:

Florida & LSU aren't true rivals plus LSU & Texas A&M will want to protect their rivalry. Give A&M & LSU to each other. Remove Florida from LSU. Remove OU from A&M (Not really rivals). Create a new yearly big match up in OU-UF.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Viper said:

To us older fans It's not a true rivalry. At least not like Bama & UGA is. Almost every power in the conference would have to give up their 3rd biggest rivals to playing them in 2 of 4 years for the sake of competitive balance in this format.

• Like 5