Jump to content
Null

The end of college football


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Have to start somewhere. People didn't want this, as time pass things are going to be distributed closer to even or it'll be over.......the people that are upset should be happy actually, this was maybe another 5 years away from guys to switch it up and group together and go to hbcu's.....then it really would've gotten interesting....seeing Auburn lose to Alabama st or Tuskegee? Heads would explode!

I don’t know anyone that was wanting to keep money out of players hands. They are just assuming it will make it even more slanted toward the minimum few (of which AU is not (and they assume will not) one of those few. Of course that is just my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just an opinion. To me, with Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC - just the concept of that idea, much less it actually happening - it signals the end of college football. Now, of course there is 

👎

Are people really sad about the demise of the NCAA?! That corrupt organization can’t burn in flames fast enough for my taste. So excited AU won’t be sacrificed while other programs can do whatever the

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t know anyone that was wanting to keep money out of players hands. They are just assuming it will make it even more slanted toward the minimum few (of which AU is not (and they assume will not) one of those few. Of course that is just my opinion.

Of course not, that's the thing everybody is cool with the complaining but nobody questions it. And I'm absolutely sure every single time I bring up a point somebody will come in and say I don't see it.....it doesn't even make sense to think Auburn will be affected negatively as if we are a community college. But ok understand your opinion, I've been on here a long time, I know better

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

When Black athletes were allowed to play, it was going to ruin the game.

Title IX was going to ruin the game

When the Big ten expanded it was going to ruin the game

When the Big East disbanded football it was going to ruin the game.

College Playoffs were gonna ruin the game.

The game makes more money every year despite only doing things that are gonna ruin the game.

In reference to the fans in the stands and sports.  There are some much bigger reasons than the changes that may have been made.  Everyone can afford a large tv now and it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.  People have parties at the home because they over price everything.  Adding the fan bases of Oklahoma and Texas is gonna benefit Auburn way more than it will Texas and Oklahoma.  With viewership up, add revenue is up, conference contracts will contiPT-Shopifyostnue to go up, universities will continue to reap the benefits and now the student athletes can get some free pizza from the local place whenever they want for putting that pizza place on their social media posts. Can get paid for working camps and such.  Good for them.

everything is fine, if a few of ya leave big deal, the next generation is gonna be filling your spots at a higher rate any way.  

 

Good post

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Of course not, that's the thing everybody is cool with the complaining but nobody questions it. And I'm absolutely sure every single time I bring up a point somebody will come in and say I don't see it.....it doesn't even make sense to think Auburn will be affected negatively as if we are a community college. But ok understand your opinion, I've been on here a long time, I know better

I don’t get the reference to how long you have been on this forum (assume that is what you meant by “I have been in here a long time) as adding anything to the discussion but I just may not understand the inference it represents. As far as AU being more left behind by it, I see it is probably:  1. We can catch up to anyone if we can get comparable players (we haven’t been doing that very well (UAT, Clemson, OSU, UGA). But if it is just the systems we can catch up. 2. (I think this is the real one) they have been ahead due to a system that all ready gets money to their players (not just a few either) and will just get more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I am sure that those old students and AU fans thought that when we stopped playing GT every year and the Wreck Tech went away that college football would never be the same,

Yep there were a few.......we see where Tech is now and where Auburn is now.....................know who won that one

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

Indeed...your scathing article about the lack of sportsmanship shown in Georgia Tech's 222-0 beatdown of Cumberland College in 1916 was excellent. 👍

Thanks I left at halftime

  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep there were a few.......we see where Tech is now and where Auburn is now.....................know who won that one

Yeah but you don’t give students a legitimate reason to wear pajamas out in public and do War Eagle 🦅 chants.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, toddc said:

Yeah but you don’t give students a legitimate reason to wear pajamas out in public and do War Eagle 🦅 chants.

There are other ways........think about it...........:timeout:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep there were a few.......we see where Tech is now and where Auburn is now.....................know who won that one

Good point. But I wish all younger fans could experience the pure joy in hating Tech. Something that stays with you for life. Of course we haves boxer shorts older than most guys on this board.

College football will continue to be great…..bammers back up QB has been being paid well my entire life.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all about the money now.  TX and OK had no allegiance to their conference they just chased the money.  If a player is not immediately put in as a starter they can hit the transfer portal.  For many (if not most) of the players there is no allegiance to the school or their teammates anymore.  For the schools it is all about more and greater facilities, bigger and bigger coaches contracts and bigger and bigger TV contracts.  At least the players are getting to share a little of the money now but that will end up being totally disproportionate.  The best QB’s and RB’s are going to be getting the big bucks under NLI while the big uglies that make it all go are going to be sucking on the hind tit.   I wonder if the QB’s can pay their line for protection of if the RB’s can pay for clean holes to run through?  Is that what’s happening next?  I just don’t know where it all ends.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t know where it all ends.

It’s happening at the high school level now, with players opting out and transferring. I can’t imagine being a coach and trying to foster a ‘team first’ culture at any level now. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that concept of playing for a school because of the school has been long gone, but now with NIL in place even the facade is gone. For that matter, we even accepted that most programs are just stepping stones to the NFL. But now where's the incentive for going pro? You could stay a college super star making millions or move up to the NFL and be making league minimum. That's the future of college football.

That thin veil of amateurism is what kept this version of the sport unique. Where's the parity. There are no salary caps, no drafts, no trades - no incentive to foster competition.

If you actually like the direction this is going then I hope you enjoy watching Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Notre Dame in the playoffs every year.

Tell me how I'm wrong...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

People said the same thing when the forward pass was invented. People will still watch. I’ll be one of them. Doesn’t mean I’m at all happy about this idiotic and pointless merger. But the truth is not much will change.

That's an accurate comparison if I ever heard one. Geesh 🤦

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cole256 said:

It absolutely why. That and some just hate that in the future people won't have the control over others they once had. Great thing about it nobody cares about the complaining demographic. They don't matter at the least

🎵Swing low, sweet chariot…🎵

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

understand that concept of playing for a school because of the school has been long gone

I don’t believe this for one second. There’s hundreds, or thousands, of players every year that long to play for a certain school and dream about that offer coming. Players leave after their time is up, and most never forget, and they give back to their school for life. See Bo Nix today and Bo Jackson from the past. If we lose this then college football that we all love is definitely over. There’s exceptions to everything but I refuse to believe it’s gone.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don't see much changing in the grand scheme of things until that short guy in turd town retires. Ending will pretty much be about the same. They gonna keep dominating. It's almost a gimme that it's them and either OSU(easy conference) or Clemson(easy conference) each and every year.

Even when we beat Bama now they still in it. Especially with the expansion of the playoffs soon. Look at 2017. Beat both UGA and Bama only to be rewarded watching them play for it all lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, cole256 said:

It absolutely why. That and some just hate that in the future people won't have the control over others they once had. Great thing about it nobody cares about the complaining demographic. They don't matter at the least

It says a lot that you think other people actually think this way. That you think the average person is consumed with envy, bitterness, obsession, etc. 

Edited by AUght2win
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't get all the  whining and crying and moaning and groaning.

Its not just about football. OK and TX bring a LOT of elite competitiveness in other sports. (See my thread in the Other AU Sports forum here.)

But Texas is among the elite academic universities in the country. In the past, B1G and PAC have ridiculed the SEC as the land of moron universities. Florida and Vandy notwithstanding, Texas adds a lot more academic cred to the SEC. The B1G and PAC were both really eager to attract Texas some years ago.

But also, these are top tier sports universities. They will be competing at the top of the SEC in several sports that the SEC has been very good in, including swimming, gymnastics, and golf.n (See my linked thread above.)

These schools will make the conference better in sports and academics. Yes, of course, that means * YIKES* more competition. As far as I'm concerned -- Bring it on! New World, New Conference, New Sports Landscape!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I understand that concept of playing for a school because of the school has been long gone, but now with NIL in place even the facade is gone. For that matter, we even accepted that most programs are just stepping stones to the NFL. But now where's the incentive for going pro? You could stay a college super star making millions or move up to the NFL and be making league minimum. That's the future of college football.

That thin veil of amateurism is what kept this version of the sport unique. Where's the parity. There are no salary caps, no drafts, no trades - no incentive to foster competition.

If you actually like the direction this is going then I hope you enjoy watching Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Notre Dame in the playoffs every year.

Tell me how I'm wrong...

Uh, how is that a bad thing? How is college teams, especially lesser talented teams, retaining more talent a bad thing for the parity? The super teams are going to keep on putting out guys because they are gonna be the ones making severely more than NIL money. Programs like US are gonna be the ones that win from that. The ones that don’t just reload with NFL players.

I don’t even understand what the other point is supposed to be saying. What was going to change those exact same teams from routinely making the playoffs under the prior system. Bad luck??? 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AURex said:

I really don't get all the  whining and crying and moaning and groaning.

Its not just about football. OK and TX bring a LOT of elite competitiveness in other sports. (See my thread in the Other AU Sports forum here.)

But Texas is among the elite academic universities in the country. In the past, B1G and PAC have ridiculed the SEC as the land of moron universities. Florida and Vandy notwithstanding, Texas adds a lot more academic cred to the SEC. The B1G and PAC were both really eager to attract Texas some years ago.

I literally can't think of anything I care less about than another conference's opinion of SEC academics. I'm searching hard, man. Coming up totally empty. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t even understand what the other point is supposed to be saying. What was going to change those exact same teams from routinely making the playoffs under the prior system. Bad luck??? 

The only reason those same 4 make it every year is because there's a selection committee incentivized to make sure teams that draw the largest ratings go to the playoff. It turns into a self fulfilling prophecy. Ohio State and Notre Dame (and Bama, despite losses) go every year. Then elite talent PICKS them because they go every year. And the cycle repeats.

This was going to change once the playoff expanded but idk what it's going to look like now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The only reason those same 4 make it every year is because there's a selection committee incentivized to make sure teams that draw the largest ratings go to the playoff. It turns into a self fulfilling prophecy. Ohio State and Notre Dame (and Bama, despite losses) go every year. Then elite talent PICKS them because they go every year. And the cycle repeats.

This was going to change once the playoff expanded but idk what it's going to look like now. 

ah, more conspiracy theories.  Those teams have gone as often as they have because they WIN GAMES.  Sure there are some occasions where a team goes and we all believe perhaps they shouldn't have gone over another team, but the bottom line is they are WINNING GAMES and often doing it convincingly.

The end of college football?  Absolutely NOT.   That's completely ludicrous.  It's still going to be football and its never going away.  It's changing, but its been changing incrementally since it started. Conference realignment has been going on for decades.  It didn't signify the end of college football then and it won't now and its foolish to think otherwise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

ah, more conspiracy theories.  Those teams have gone as often as they have because they WIN GAMES.  Sure there are some occasions where a team goes and we all believe perhaps they shouldn't have gone over another team, but the bottom line is they are WINNING GAMES and often doing it convincingly.

True!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2021 at 6:06 AM, Hay Field 101 said:

Brother your message is clear and direct. But your delivery is over the top !!!! You must have fire shooting from your key board. Its just like NASCAR. At one point not so long ago the stands had 100,000 plus fans in them every Sunday. Now? Ghost town, but they are still on television and people are still watching. You have a few chest thumpers that say "I haven't watched NASCAR since they did so and so and so and so quit driving" yada yada. Guess what? they are still making money because Man Scape will give them 20 million dollars to run a thirty second commercial on how to shave ya sack. I'm hungry I am going to the Waffle House. And no i didnt boycott it because Gus aka scattered covered and six strands of cheese only so i can match my play book used to go there.

last race i watched on tv was dega and from what i saw the stands were full again. not sure about other tracks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...